PDA

View Full Version : I like Derek Jeter

EuroSox35
07-15-2008, 12:57 PM
One thing is a given, when the Yankees come to town, Jeter is going to get booed. Why? I have no idea. I like the guy, and last night was a good example.

The example actually has to do with David Ortiz. The guy proved to be a huge attention whore. He saw someone having a nice moment, and he had to step in, he had to be the spotlight, instead, he just proved to be a dbag and made a good moment awkward, I'm glad he got booed off the field. He's not even a good interview! I don't get the fascination with the guy.

Meanwhile, the hometown guy Jeter. He catches the first pitch, he was probably forced to do it, does an interview, and I don't think I see him for the rest of the night. Actually, I don't remember a lot of instances where he whores himself out, unlike the Ortiz type. Then, there's the things we already know, good, consistent player, respects the game, etc. Not sure why he's disliked, I guess because people hate that others likes him so much (hey, he can't control that!),if other people overrate him that's their problem, or maybe because he's a Yankee, okay, but in short, I'm a fan. So in short, I am using this post to announce that (I know you all care right :S), but the real reason is to also express my hate for David Ortiz, peace

PennStater98r
07-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Jeter is a solid - good ball player. Make no mistake though - he does like the limelight.

He's not as much a media whore as 'Papi' but he does collect some coin for getting that mug on T.V. and hamming it up!

getonbckthr
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't think Ortiz did it to steal the spotlight. I think it was more a goofy way of respect towards Hamilton by walking off in a fashion of saying, "night guys this thing is over."

DSpivack
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
He's a Yankee and incredibly overrated, defensively.

Ortiz was booed because he's a Red Sox. Fans booed the kid that won was the MVP of the Futures Game because he was a Boston prospect.

PennStater98r
07-15-2008, 01:24 PM
He's a Yankee and incredibly overrated, defensively.

Ortiz was booed because he's a Red Sox. Fans booed the kid that won was the MVP of the Futures Game because he was a Boston prospect.

Jeter may be overrated defesively, but he's been a great hitter and had great streaks of getting on base!

RockyMtnSoxFan
07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
I also like Jeter. Maybe the term "gamer" has been overused, but that's how I think of Jeter. He plays hard and respects the game, and doesn't think he's better than everyone else.

whitesox901
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Ive never had a problem with Jeter or any Yankee, some people say their overrated and sure they can be, but they have the rings to back it up though.

skottyj242
07-15-2008, 02:51 PM
"Hey Craig Monroe, you're not even on the field."

DSpivack
07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Ive never had a problem with Jeter or any Yankee, some people say their overrated and sure they can be, but they have the rings to back it up though.

Jeter, Rivera, Posada and Pettite are the only current Yankees with rings (as Yankees; Damon won one with the Red Sox).

FedEx227
07-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Because he's a severely overrated defensive shortstop that is hardly the insane, playoff-tested clutch hitter people make him out to be.

Player A is the greatest clutch hitter of the century, Mr. November, blah blah: .309/.377/.469
Player B is the worst playoff hitter in history, he's not clutch, only cares about money blah blah: .279/.361/.483

He is enshrined with other Yankee legends but is not even in the same league as them.

He wouldn't move to 3B to accommodate A-Rod when he became a Yankee despite A-Rod being a much better defensive SS on all counts.

His effort at SS is disgusting, he never ranges to his left and hardly makes a tough play because of the inherent risk of getting an error.

He gets way too much credit for an unnecessary dive into the stands that continues to be shown just about every day on everyone's favorite network.

There are a lot of reasons to not like him.

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Because he's a severely overrated defensive shortstop that is hardly the insane, playoff-tested clutch hitter people make him out to be.

He is enshrined with other Yankee legends but is not even in the same league as them.

He wouldn't move to 3B to accommodate A-Rod when he became a Yankee despite A-Rod being a much better defensive SS on all counts.

His effort at SS is disgusting, he never ranges to his left and hardly makes a tough play because of the inherent risk of getting an error.

He gets way too much credit for an unnecessary dive into the stands that continues to be shown just about every day on everyone's favorite network.

There are a lot of reasons he should be booed.
If he wasn't a Yankee no one would cite these reasons. The biggest reason to boo him is because he's a Yankee. If he played in say, Pittsburgh he'd still be as good but not as known because he wouldn't benefit from the ESPN hype machine and people would be posting here that Jeter is one of the most underrated shortstops in the game.

He's not great defensively (and has lost a step in the field and on the bases) but he makes the plays he is supposed to make and some of the plays he isn't supposed to make. With the exception of A-Rod, I'm hard pressed to think of a better shortstop since 1995. In a couple of years Reyes might be on that list, maybe Rollins too. But, hating Jeter is like hating Brett Farve, I hate Farve cuz he's on the Packers but I'll admit he's a damn good QB, same thing with Jeter.

DSpivack
07-15-2008, 03:46 PM
If he wasn't a Yankee no one would cite these reasons. The biggest reason to boo him is because he's a Yankee. If he played in say, Pittsburgh he'd still be as good but not as known because he wouldn't benefit from the ESPN hype machine and people would be posting here that Jeter is one of the most underrated shortstops in the game.

He's not great defensively (and has lost a step in the field and on the bases) but he makes the plays he is supposed to make and some of the plays he isn't supposed to make. With the exception of A-Rod, I'm hard pressed to think of a better shortstop since 1995. In a couple of years Reyes might be on that list, maybe Rollins too. But, hating Jeter is like hating Brett Farve, I hate Farve cuz he's on the Packers but I'll admit he's a damn good QB, same thing with Jeter.

Jeter isn't even in the top half of the league defensively. Cabrera and Uribe are both better, and so is/was A-Rod.

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Jeter isn't even in the top half of the league defensively. Cabrera and Uribe are both better, and so is/was A-Rod.
No, he's not anymore. But I'd take Jeter every day of the week over Uribe. Again, Jeter makes the plays he is SUPPOSED to make, Uribe wouldn't do that. Uribe played when he felt like it.

turners56
07-15-2008, 03:49 PM
It's not that Jeter loves the spotlight, it's the media who loves Jeter and gives him the spotlight. He sure doesn't help himself out with those unnecessary fist pumps and jump throws from short, but he's not completely at fault for the "Jeter Love".

DSpivack
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
No, he's not anymore. But I'd take Jeter every day of the week over Uribe. Again, Jeter makes the plays he is SUPPOSED to make, Uribe wouldn't do that. Uribe played when he felt like it.

Just defensively, I'd take Uribe. Jeter only makes the plays he's 'supposed' to make. Uribe makes those and then some. That said, defense is only one part of the game, so it's a moot point.

palehozenychicty
07-15-2008, 04:18 PM

I think that sums it up. Sure, Uribe blows away Jeter defensively, but Jeter brings so much more to the field on several levels that his passable defense is accepted. Not that it's right, but let's be real. You build around guys like Jeter, not Uribe.

HangWiffum
07-15-2008, 04:29 PM
jeter is incredibly overhyped by ESPN. that's why i hate the guy. he's a damn good player but it makes me sick how the simple things he does are called great by the booyahs. but that's part of the reason i don't watch espn anymore.

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Just defensively, I'd take Uribe. Jeter only makes the plays he's 'supposed' to make. Uribe makes those and then some. That said, defense is only one part of the game, so it's a moot point.
Again the thing with Uribe that drives me nuts is that at times, he just doesn't care so he doesn't try. That was the case especially for last year. Maybe Jeter is like that too, but he appears to be mentally "in" every Yankee game I've ever seen. Uribe doesn't.

jabrch
07-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Jeter is a great baseball player. He's overrated by the NY fans/media, and thus by much of the national media as well. He's paid very well - but he creates enough wealth that his management feels he is worth it.

He's not the defender he was in his prime, and even that wasn't as good as some said, but he is not nearly as bad as some want to make him sound either.

If he were available to the Sox, I'd love to have him. If we had to pay him 20mm per, I'd pass.

Nellie_Fox
07-16-2008, 12:53 AM
But, but, he's The Captain.

No, not the captain of the Yankees, just The Captain. Of all baseball, apparently.

KnightSox
07-16-2008, 12:57 AM
But, but, he's The Captain.

No, not the captain of the Yankees, just The Captain. Of all baseball, apparently.I thought that was Varitek?

whitesox901
07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
I thought that was Varitek?

He's the Captain of Asshats

FedEx227
07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Again the thing with Uribe that drives me nuts is that at times, he just doesn't care so he doesn't try. That was the case especially for last year. Maybe Jeter is like that too, but he appears to be mentally "in" every Yankee game I've ever seen. Uribe doesn't.

And your basing this fact off what?

How does one look mentally in? Is not ranging to your left being mentally IN the game?

Is never diving for a grounder or making any type of aggressive play at a ball in the hole being mentally IN.

I just want to know what you see that makes you know that Jeter is mentally "IN" every game.

And enough of this in his prime stuff, he's been bad defensively his entire career... just because he makes the occassional jumping throw or the unnecessary 16 steps into the stands doesn't make him a good defender. A lot of people don't like Zone Rating, and to a point I agree, but look at Jeter's MLB SS Zone Rating ranks:

2001: 23rd out of 23
2002: 26th out of 27
2003: 23rd out of 23
2004: 11th out of 24
2005: 16th out of 24
2006: 20th out of 24
2007: 24th out of 24

Say what you want about Zone Rating, I agree it's not a 100% proof statistic, but if you're a half way decent defender you DO NOT stay in the bottom 5 that many times.

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2008, 10:20 AM
And your basing this fact off what?

How does one look mentally in? Is not ranging to your left being mentally IN the game?

Is never diving for a grounder or making any type of aggressive play at a ball in the hole being mentally IN.

I just want to know what you see that makes you know that Jeter is mentally "IN" every game.
I don't see Jeter throwing balls away on routine grounders (like Uribe did last year), I don't see Jeter muffing routine double playballs (like Uribe did last year, specifically against Florida), I don't see Jeter letting many groundballs go through his legs (to be fair, Uribe only did this ONCE but it was a tight game against Cleveland in extra innings), I don't see Jeter holding onto a cutoff throw when the catcher is screaming that he has a play at the plate (like Uribe did against Boston in August which so pissed off AJ he stormed out to the bound to bitch to Buerhle), shall I go on?

FedEx227
07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't see Jeter throwing balls away on routine grounders (like Uribe did last year), I don't see Jeter muffing routine double playballs (like Uribe did last year, specifically against Florida), I don't see Jeter letting many groundballs go through his legs (to be fair, Uribe only did this ONCE but it was a tight game against Cleveland in extra innings), I don't see Jeter holding onto a cutoff throw when the catcher is screaming that he has a play at the plate (like Uribe did against Boston in August which so pissed off AJ he stormed out to the bound to bitch to Buerhle), shall I go on?

No, that pretty much proves that Jeter is always mentally in the game.

Except your nit-picking particular games you've seen of Uribe (who I guarantee you you've seen more of) and saying Jeter has never let any of these instances happen (even though you've likely not watched a ton of Yankee games).

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
No, that pretty much proves that Jeter is always mentally in the game.

Except your nit-picking particular games you've seen of Uribe (who I guarantee you you've seen more of) and saying Jeter has never let any of these instances happen (even though you've likely not watched a ton of Yankee games).
There are other examples of Uribe making stupid errors (usually mental) that suggets to me that either Uribe is not a very smart baseball player (which is a possibility) or he gets lazy in the field and as a result makes those stupid errors. I've seen Uribe enough to know "Ah, he just wasn't paying attention there," and to know when he seems well, not to care. Jeter I've only seen play on national TV but in those games, I can't recall seeing him ever make a mistake like that. Now, in one of Uribe's games that I mentioned (where he didn't throw the ball back to the IF soon enough) was in the fifth inning of a nationally televised game. I don't think Jeter would have made the same mistake under the circumstances.

There was another incident with Juan the Magnificent in a game against the Tigers in '06 the Tigers had the bases loaded with no out and the Sox were up by three a ball is hit sharply to Uribe and rather than turn the routine double play and let the run score he throws the ball to home which goes wide of AJ and let's two runs score. So now two are in with runners on second and third nobody out, another ground ball to Uribe who throws it wide of first, which I think was a result of him thinking too much about the previous play. Again, these are plays that I can't really recall ever seeing Jeter make, but Juan makes them with enough frequency as to be cause for alarm if he were say, your every day shortstop.

At the same time though, there are a ton of plays that Uribe has made that Jeter would never have made (the last out in the World Series for instance). Uribe could be a better shortstop than Jeter, in fact, he could be one of the best in the game if he would just put his mind to it! If he focused on the game more or whatever he wouldn't make those stupid boneheaded plays that I described above. If he didn't try to swing for the fences every time he was at the plate he could easily hit .300 and probably still have as many as twenty HRs. Uribe is a headcase and it's maddening to watch him play. That is why I say Jeter is better than Uribe not only offensively but defensively as well.

soxpride724
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I admit that I didn't like Jeter when the Yankees were the powerhouse of the league in the late 90s. I guess the sub par performance of this orginization as of late, has changed my stance on him, and I don't dislike him anymore.

To the OP, I hate the Sawx also.