PDA

View Full Version : Jenks Update

havelj
07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
One inning:

COPYRIGHTED TEXT

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2008_07_14_wswafa_kinafa_1

WhiteSox5187
07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
One inning, three hits, one run, no strikeouts? Well...it's his first time pitching in two weeks. Hopefully he gets his stuff back.

cws05champ
07-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Numbers don't matter in this case as long as he feels no pain and regains his control and velocity over his next few outings.

thomas35forever
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
One run on three hits? Could've been worse.

hula
07-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I was at the Warthogs/Kinston game last night and while it was a surprise to see his pitching a bit off, he was only slated to pitch the first inning. I wish he would have pitched another inning given the results of the first, but since the game started an hour and half late due to rain and he was headed to Birmingham today, I guess they didn't want to stretch it out further.

I drove down from Durham, the joys of living in NC, getting to see Sox players on the mend - saw Paulie the week before in Charlotte...

I have to say, Jenks is one of the nicest players I've ever met! Talked to him briefly before last nights game and he was enthusiastic, friendly, and more than willing to sign my '05 Championship shirt and hat. He looks so imposing when he's pitching, I thought he night not be approachable, but he couldn't have been a nicer guy to the fans. When I asked him how he was feeling he said, "Pretty good!" I'll try and post some pictures soon. He had on his grey away CWS uniform, but was wearing a Warthogs hat. Paulie on the other hand had on the Charlotte Knights pinstripes when I saw him in Charlotte last week, but he was there for more than one inning! :D:

doublem23
07-15-2008, 11:57 AM
He played the game in a White Sox jersey? That's unusual. The Cubs routinely have players make a rehab start down here in Peoria and they always get them Chiefs scrubs.

hula
07-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I was surprised too, but at the same time it was a thrill to see him in his Sox uniform...

BTW, is it okay to post pictures on this board and in this area or is there another?

KnightSox
07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
He played the game in a White Sox jersey? That's unusual. The Cubs routinely have players make a rehab start down here in Peoria and they always get them Chiefs scrubs.I think it's cool, if a guy goes down on a rehab stint he should be able to wear his jersey. If a guy is simply sent back down it's back to the minor uni.

raven1
07-15-2008, 12:16 PM
He played the game in a White Sox jersey? That's unusual. The Cubs routinely have players make a rehab start down here in Peoria and they always get them Chiefs scrubs.
Maybe the Warthogs don't have any uniforms in his size?

JermaineDye05
07-15-2008, 12:57 PM
For anyone who's worried about him giving up a run on 3 hits, it appears they didn't use him as a closer, which is fine since this is just to see if he's healthy. As long as he was locating (with his good velocity) and wasn't walking anyone we should be fine. Bobby usually tends to give up a run or 2 when he's not coming in in a closer situation, as do most closers.

BRDSR
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I think it's cool, if a guy goes down on a rehab stint he should be able to wear his jersey. If a guy is simply sent back down it's back to the minor uni.

LOL...you mean Pablo didn't get to bring his Sox jersey with him to Charlotte?

:hijacked:

I haven't seen any official word on Pablo. Does anyone know whether he's cleared waivers, reported, rumored to be headed to another team after the break, etc.?

DumpJerry
07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I was surprised too, but at the same time it was a thrill to see him in his Sox uniform...

BTW, is it okay to post pictures on this board and in this area or is there another?
Nice pics!

hula
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Nice pics!

Thanks!! He's sure a nice guy! :D:

TDog
07-15-2008, 03:50 PM
For anyone who's worried about him giving up a run on 3 hits, it appears they didn't use him as a closer, which is fine since this is just to see if he's healthy. As long as he was locating (with his good velocity) and wasn't walking anyone we should be fine. Bobby usually tends to give up a run or 2 when he's not coming in in a closer situation, as do most closers.

That's a misperception. If it weren't it would be unacceptable. If in fact it were the case, the American League would be doomed to failure with so many closers on its staff in tonight's All-Star Game. When a closer is scored upon in a non-closing situation, say late in a tie game, or while pitching with a big lead, people say it always happens, but it doesn't. In the 2005 World Series, for example, Jenks pitched in all four games. He appeared three times in a closer role, giving up two runs in two runs in three innings. He pitched two innings in a non-closing situation and gave up no runs and no hits.

How Jenks performed against minor league hitters is irrelevant anyway, as others have noted. The question is how he felt and how well he located pitches and with what velocity. His focus wasn't on retiring hitters. Minor league pitchers impress by getting out minor league hitters. Major league pitchers on rehab impress by throwing well.

That being said, I have no idea if he threw well.

hula
07-15-2008, 03:55 PM
His pitched between 93-99 mph...

sox1970
07-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Jenks had a 1-2-3 first inning tonight for Birmingham.

All strikeouts.

JB98
07-16-2008, 07:34 PM

All strikeouts.

Excellent news. The big man is ready for the second half!

DumpJerry
07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Excellent news. The big man is ready for the second half!
Our second half will make the first half look like 2007.

Four days off to reflect on what has happened, the close losses, the big wins, the individual challenges (ahem, Mr. Konerko), all adds up to:

"It will all come together!"

hawkjt
07-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Steve Phillips on Baseball2Nite just said he sees the Sox running away by 10 games in the second half...hope he is clarvoiant but I could see it happening if they just mash.

But I do not like what I hear out of Minnesota about the Liriano comeback. Supposedly he is throwing up to 96, with control, and has added a good changeup to his arsenal. Could be back soon. Yikes.

sullythered
07-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Steve Phillips on Baseball2Nite just said he sees the Sox running away by 10 games in the second half...hope he is clarvoiant but I could see it happening if they just mash.

But I do not like what I hear out of Minnesota about the Liriano comeback. Supposedly he is throwing up to 96, with control, and has added a good changeup to his arsenal. Could be back soon. Yikes.
I don't like when Steve Phillips thinks anything positive about the Sox. Hopefully, it's not a bad sign.

I will believe Liriano can stay healthy when I see it, though.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2008, 12:05 AM

I actually hope that the Sox wouldn't win their division by TOO much; but, I'd rather see the Tigers finish ahead of the Twins and nab the Wild Card. The thing is, you don't want this team to be TOO relaxed come postseason, which can happen when you're not threatened at all close to the postseason. Let this team have a two- or three-game cushion going into the last week of play, and then they can clinch the division AT HOME.

Britt Burns
07-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Good news on Bad Bobby...we need him!

JermaineDye05
07-17-2008, 02:27 AM
One person that sure could use Bobby back, granted the whole team needs him back, but one guy who would really like him back is Linebrink. That way he can pitch in the 8th again where he's been lights out.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2008, 02:48 AM
One person that sure could use Bobby back, granted the whole team needs him back, but one guy who would really like him back is Linebrink. That way he can pitch in the 8th again where he's been lights out.
Linebrink never should've been asked to close in the first place. He is, however, a fine set-up guy. Dotel should've been immediately inserted into the closing role with Rusell getting work before Linebrink.

Bucky F. Dent
07-17-2008, 07:10 AM

All strikeouts.

EXCELLENT!

We are going to need him to settle our bullpen down.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2008, 08:25 AM
EXCELLENT!

We are going to need him to settle our bullpen down.

We're also going to need him to settle our fans down.

turners56
07-17-2008, 09:40 AM
:bandance::bandance:

Can our bullpen return to normality now?

turners56
07-17-2008, 09:45 AM

Did Timberwolf tell you that or something? Funny thing is, Liriano has only started one game against the Sox before. He also lost that game.

But yeah, if he really does have a change up working, that could mean bad things for the Sox. Mostly because this team can't hit change ups.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Did Timberwolf tell you that or something? Funny thing is, Liriano has only started one game against the Sox before. He also lost that game.

But yeah, if he really does have a change up working, that could mean bad things for the Sox. Mostly because this team can't hit change ups.

From Jerry Crasnick in his column on ESPN today:
Several other contending clubs are hoping to get a lift from players off the disabled list. Francisco Liriano (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7504), 20 months removed from Tommy John surgery, is 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA and 24 strikeouts in his last 20 innings for Triple-A Rochester, so the Twins are likely to summon him very soon.

turners56
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Several other contending clubs are hoping to get a lift from players off the disabled list. Francisco Liriano (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7504), 20 months removed from Tommy John surgery, is 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA and 24 strikeouts in his last 20 innings for Triple-A Rochester, so the Twins are likely to summon him very soon.

FELIX DIAZ?

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2008, 10:20 AM
FELIX DIAZ?

Who's Felix Diaz?

turners56
07-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Who's Felix Diaz?

Cy Young of AAA back in 2003. Came up to the Majors and got clobbered to death by the Cubs.

RowanDye
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Esteban Loaiza ~ 17-21 in 46 starts since 2006

Francisco Liriano ~ 12-6 in 19 starts since 2006

Comparable? No. But I wouldn't be surprised if Loaiza wins more games this year than Liriano.

Noneck
07-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Comparable? No. But I wouldn't be surprised if Loaiza wins more games this year than Liriano.

I guess what you are saying is that Liriano won't win a game this year. (Loaiza has 1 win this year) I hope you don't think or hope that Loaiza will pitch for the Sox again this year. He is done.

RowanDye
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
I guess what you are saying is that Liriano won't win a game this year. (Loaiza has 1 win this year) I hope you don't think or hope that Loaiza will pitch for the Sox again this year. He is done.

You might be right but:

"Esteban Loaiza will start Thursday night for Birmingham in a minor league rehab assignment." link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/07/jenks-leftovers.html)

I was mainly just saying that you should avoid believing anything that Jerry Crapnick decides to spin together into one of his "columns".

Liriano HAS pitched well in his last few starts, but his return seems less than imminent. Liriano himself says:

"To be honest, I think I'm ready now. I'm not the same guy I was in '06 coming from the surgery, but I think I'm ready to go. I'm not going to be that guy that quick." link (http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_9901438)