PDA

View Full Version : Small Rumor - Sox and Garcia

Madvora
07-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Just a small little piece in the MLB trade rumors section of sportsline.com
I guess almost everybody is keeping an eye on Freddy Garcia.

Can someone please update me again on what's going on with him?

http://mlbtr.blogs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/view/8691437

thomas35forever
07-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Forget about it. His career here is done (and maybe his career altogether).

Lip Man 1
07-14-2008, 08:16 PM
There was a story in the Tribune about ten days ago quoting Ozzie as saying the Sox had internal discussions about Garcia but for now they will "pass."

He throws for scouts at the end of the month. The story said the Yankees, Mets and Tigers were very interested in him.

Lip

Ziggy S
07-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I think Konerko could benefit from one of Garcia's alleged leisure activities. He needs Garcia to supply with a substance that can turn off his mind so he can relax and float downstream and Big Game Freddy needs to be signed at 4:20.

DSpivack
07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Why so many rumors about starters? Who would we remove from the rotation for Garcia, or Duscherer, or whomever.

doublem23
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Why so many rumors about starters? Who would we remove from the rotation for Garcia, or Duscherer, or whomever.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_425747.jpg

munchman33
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM

1. Contreras (he looks like he'll pitch like **** for the rest of the year)
2. Javy (if he keeps pitching like ****)

Foulke You
07-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I have to concur with Munchman and Doublem. I'm a Contreras fan and even I have lost all confidence in the guy lately. Jose's arm looks old and dead out there lately and is bringing back bad memories of his '07 outings. Bill Melton pointed out in the post game show that not one of Jose's pitches cracked the 90mph mark on Sunday. This is from a guy who used to throw 95mph. You could live with the velocity being down if his other pitches were working but he can't throw the slider for a strike, his splitter is flat, and his forkball is being floated letter to waist high for batters to crush. Jose is a pitcher who is most likely 40 years old and could very well be in the twilight of his career. I hope that is not the case and Jose finds his groove again but regardless, it would be smart for the Sox to explore some other starting pitching options just in case.

AzureJazzMan
07-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I thought that looking into Freddy is a great idea. He would natuarally need time to get back up to speed, if you will. So, pick him up, and put him in the pen for long relief, and by the time the post season comes into play, so too, should Freddy, be able to start.

slavko
07-15-2008, 10:13 AM
I thought that looking into Freddy is a great idea. He would natuarally need time to get back up to speed, if you will. So, pick him up, and put him in the pen for long relief, and by the time the post season comes into play, so too, should Freddy, be able to start.

This sounds like Loaiza II. It's likely to have the same results. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

CHIsoxNation
07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
This story in the NY Post is a bit more detailed on Garcia's progress thus far.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07152008/sports/yankees/yankees_and_mets_eye_garcia_119986.htm

His fastball is still only in the mid-upper 80s and he hasn't even started throwing breaking balls yet. I couldn't really see him being a big contributor to any team this year.

skottyj242
07-15-2008, 10:32 AM
I think Konerko could benefit from one of Garcia's alleged leisure activities. He needs Garcia to supply with a substance that can turn off his mind so he can relax and float downstream and Big Game Freddy needs to be signed at 4:20.

Did anyone ever notice that the Sausage pizza always won when Freddy pitched?

hi im skot
07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Did anyone ever notice that the Sausage pizza always won when Freddy pitched?

:rolling:

Madvora
07-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Guillen commented about Garcia yesterday.
http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8691437/9429134