PDA

View Full Version : Bad Blood with Texas?

hawkjt
07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
I heard the guys on ESPN1000 talking about the Rangers closer,Wilson, being quoted in the Dallas papers about being fired up by hearing Ozzie yelling at him in the 9th with Thome and PK coming up and men on base.
Said that it juiced him up to strike out those two.
I did not watch the end of the game yesterday but I just caught it on
the replay and after the game, they showed Carlos Quentin doing the 1000 yard stare out at the rangers while they celebrated on the field. Maybe, they were yelling back at Ozzie? Carlos looked very pissed which is scary.

Maybe we see some fireworks when Texas comes to town next week?
I am attending a couple of those games..mon and tues. and hope for payback on the scoreboard at least...of course..it may have just been the heat and the 5 hour game that frazzled the tempers a bit.

Should be a fun homestand starting friday vs the Royals. Let go Sox!

Soxman219
07-14-2008, 07:00 PM
I heard the guys on ESPN1000 talking about the Rangers closer,Wilson, being quoted in the Dallas papers about being fired up by hearing Ozzie yelling at him in the 9th with Thome and PK coming up and men on base.
Said that it juiced him up to strike out those two.
I did not watch the end of the game yesterday but I just caught it on
the replay and after the game, they showed Carlos Quentin doing the 1000 yard stare out at the rangers while they celebrated on the field. Maybe, they were yelling back at Ozzie? Carlos looked very pissed which is scary.

Maybe we see some fireworks when Texas comes to town next week?
I am attending a couple of those games..mon and tues. and hope for payback on the scoreboard at least...of course..it may have just been the heat and the 5 hour game that frazzled the tempers a bit.

Should be a fun homestand starting friday vs the Royals. Let go Sox!

Wilson was lucky that PK is on a slump. He has an ERA over 4 and he's talking s***. I know they are .500 on the road, but I want to see them hit away from that pinball machine they call Rangers Park. I hope Carlos hits 5 HRs off those terrible pitchers next week. We're going to sweep those Rangers this time.

oeo
07-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't think I've ever hated the Rangers as much as I did in this series. They just look like a bunch of pricks.

btrain929
07-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Wilson was lucky that PK is on a slump. He has an ERA over 4 and he's talking s***. I know they are .500 on the road, but I want to see them hit away from that pinball machine they call Rangers Park. I hope Carlos hits 5 HRs off those terrible pitchers next week. We're going to sweep those Rangers this time.

No ****. It's not like he pitched well. He struck out Thome on a borderline high/hanging slider, and PK a fastball right down the middle that any other hitter in our lineup probably would have kilt. He can stop acting like he "got in the zone" and mowed them down....:rolleyes:

I did catch TCQ's stare, and wondered what it was about. By the way, why would Ozzie be yelling at Wilson?

getonbckthr
07-14-2008, 07:24 PM
After we pounded Wilson for a few runs he started celebrating his outs. Sure you won but you yourself got shelled and shouldn't celebrate 3 runs on like 6 hits in 1 IP.

Soxman219
07-14-2008, 07:27 PM
I hate players like that. Athletes who are not good and brag like they are better than everyone. Wilson is not good at all. This reminds me of K-Rod's celebrations on the mound, but at least he's good.

And yes, I had a feeling that they were acting like pricks the whole series. It's like they wanted to beat us.

btrain929
07-14-2008, 07:36 PM
I hate players like that. Athletes who are not good and brag like they are better than everyone. Wilson is not good at all. This reminds me of K-Rod's celebrations on the mound, but at least he's good.

And yes, I had a feeling that they were acting like pricks the whole series. It's like they wanted to beat us.

How dare they.....

WhiteSoxOnly
07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Let's trade Contreras over there and see how much they hate us then.

SoxGirl4Life
07-14-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't know if its just me, but I kinda remember this bad blood thing starting back in 2006 when they kept hitting AJ.

What the hell? We're not even in their division.

hawkjt
07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Thats right...that Victor Guy who is currently on the dl for Texas did keep hitting AJ. If he is off the dl and pitches vs the sox...and hits someone..it might just be on. I hope not,we have old guys that can get hurt but if it goes down...I want Carlos Quentin on my side.

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
I'd be angry too if I had to play for the Rangers, and I had to play day games in 110-degree heat, and had a bunch of ignorant fans not understand that in baseball, "points" are not just scored in groups of seven or three, and was in an organization that traded away pitcher like Chris Young, John Danks, Edinson Volquez, etc.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Sox Girl:

The "bad blood" between the two franchises started on this date:

August 10, 1990- The odds had to be a million to one. They were two of the smallest players in major league baseball yet on this night in the second game of a double header at Comiskey Park, the impossible happened. In the second inning, the Sox Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen hit back to back home runs off flame throwing Nolan Ryan. It was part of a four run inning in a 5-1 win and a sweep of the two games. Making matters even more incredible was that both Grebeck and Guillen pulled their shots. Craig reaching the left field seats and Ozzie right field!

Then it continued a few weeks later in Texas because of this incident:

August 12, 1990- The Sox set what is believed to be the longest wait in baseball history before calling a game because of rain. The Sox were slated to play the Rangers at Comiskey Park in an afternoon contest starting at 1PM Central time. Persistent rains cause a delay before the first pitch was even thrown. Because this was the last trip into Chicago by Texas, the Sox waited until the evening before "officially" calling the game. The wait lasted seven hours and 23 minutes!!! As it turned out the Sox had to play the make up game in Arlington as part of a double header the following week.

In the first game of that DH, the Sox lost to Nolan Ryan 1-0 in 13 innings, during the game a brawl broke out near second base and Steve Buechele got into a fight and was ejected, after he was hit by a pitch. The Sox were retaliating for Ryan continuing to throw at the heads of some of the players. Then in the second game this happened:

August 17, 1990- In the second game of a double header at Texas, Carlton Fisk becomes baseball’s all time home run leader by a catcher, as he nails a Charlie Hough offering and drives it into the left center field seats. It’s his 328th career shot as a backstop and also establishes himself as the White Sox all time career home run champ.

Things simmered for a few years until finally this happened in Arlington with Ryan again in the center of things:

August 4, 1993- After years of getting brush back pitches thrown at Sox hitters from Nolan Ryan, Robin Ventura snaps in the 3rd inning of a game in Texas and charges the mound. Ryan gets the better of the fight, in part because catcher "Pudge" Rodriguez had pinned Ventura's arms, but Ventura and his teammates find strength from the brawl and use it during the stretch run which would lead to a divisional title.

There you go.

Lip

Tragg
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
by hearing Ozzie yelling at him in the 9th with Thome and PK coming up and men on base.
good to see that the manager continues to display the maturity that he demands from everyone else.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Sox Girl:

August 10, 1990- The odds had to be a million to one. They were two of the smallest players in major league baseball yet on this night in the second game of a double header at Comiskey Park, the impossible happened. In the second inning, the Sox Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen hit back to back home runs off flame throwing Nolan Ryan. It was part of a four run inning in a 5-1 win and a sweep of the two games. Making matters even more incredible was that both Grebeck and Guillen pulled their shots. Craig reaching the left field seats and Ozzie right field!

August 12, 1990- The Sox set what is believed to be the longest wait in baseball history before calling a game because of rain. The Sox were slated to play the Rangers at Comiskey Park in an afternoon contest starting at 1PM Central time. Persistent rains cause a delay before the first pitch was even thrown. Because this was the last trip into Chicago by Texas, the Sox waited until the evening before "officially" calling the game. The wait lasted seven hours and 23 minutes!!! As it turned out the Sox had to play the make up game in Arlington as part of a double header the following week.

In the first game of that DH, the Sox lost to Nolan Ryan 1-0 in 13 innings, during the game a brawl broke out near second base and Steve Buechele got into a fight and was ejected, after he was hit by a pitch. The Sox were retaliating for Ryan continuing to throw at the heads of some of the players. Then in the second game this happened:

August 17, 1990- In the second game of a double header at Texas, Carlton Fisk becomes baseballís all time home run leader by a catcher, as he nails a Charlie Hough offering and drives it into the left center field seats. Itís his 328th career shot as a backstop and also establishes himself as the White Sox all time career home run champ.

Things simmered for a few years until finally this happened in Arlington with Ryan again in the center of things:

August 4, 1993- After years of getting brush back pitches thrown at Sox hitters from Nolan Ryan, Robin Ventura snaps in the 3rd inning of a game in Texas and charges the mound. Ryan gets the better of the fight, in part because catcher "Pudge" Rodriguez had pinned Ventura's arms, but Ventura and his teammates find strength from the brawl and use it during the stretch run which would lead to a divisional title.

There you go.

Lip

Lip-i could be way off here,but wasn't there something between
the LaRussa led '83 team and Doug Rader's Rangers ? wasn't he
the guy who coined the phrase "Sox win ugly" ? i can't say i recall
any brawls that year between the two teams but i thought there
was quite a bit of jaw-jacking then.

doublem23
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Sox Girl:

August 17, 1990- In the second game of a double header at Texas, Carlton Fisk becomes baseballís all time home run leader by a catcher, as he nails a Charlie Hough offering and drives it into the left center field seats. Itís his 328th career shot as a backstop and also establishes himself as the White Sox all time career home run champ.

There you go.

Lip

I really doubt any of this has anything to do with this series.

WhiteSox5187
07-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Lip-i could be way off here,but wasn't there something between
the LaRussa led '83 team and Doug Rader's Rangers ? wasn't he
the guy who coined the phrase "Sox win ugly" ? i can't say i recall
any brawls that year between the two teams but i thought there
was quite a bit of jaw-jacking then.
It was Doug Rader's Rangers that coined the phrase "Winning Ugly." And, ironically enough, within three years Doug Rader would be manager of the Sox.

soxwon
07-14-2008, 10:58 PM
i dont recall how did Hamilton do vs us?

Brian26
07-14-2008, 11:27 PM

I highly doubt there was bad blood because the White Sox and Rangers were involved in a long rain delay. Are you suggesting the Sox made the Rangers mad by keeping both teams at the park for seven hours before calling the game? Wouldn't both teams be mad at the umpires rather than each other?

Fisk's homer also has nothing to do with bad blood. He didn't round the bases backwards or anything silly.

I agree with you points on Nolan Ryan throwing at Sox hitters.

ilsox7
07-14-2008, 11:28 PM
I highly doubt there was bad blood because the White Sox and Rangers were involved in a long rain delay. Are you suggesting the Sox made the Rangers mad by keeping both teams at the park for seven hours before calling the game? Wouldn't both teams be mad at the umpires rather than each other?

Fisk's homer also has nothing to do with bad blood. He didn't round the bases backwards or anything silly.

I agree with you points on Nolan Ryan throwing at Sox hitters.

Umpires don't have a say until first pitch. Up until that point, the home team makes the call about a game being canceled.

doublem23
07-14-2008, 11:29 PM
i dont recall how did Hamilton do vs us?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?share=1&n1=hamiljo03&year=2008&t=b#181:183:sum

Lip Man 1
07-14-2008, 11:30 PM
White Sox Only:

Rader's comment wasn't meant as a direct put down of the Sox. He was saying that the Sox would take advantage of anything...a throwing error, a balk a stolen base and somehow find a way to win the game. It was actually a compliment if you think about it...great teams do that.

Anyway there was never anything going on between the teams at that time.

Double:

No one said it did. Sox Girl was saying that she thought there were differences between the two organizations recently. I pointed out the differences actually go back a ways historically...doesn't mean that one has anything to do with the other.

Lip

Brian26
07-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Umpires don't have a say until first pitch. Up until that point, the home team makes the call about a game being canceled.

Good call. I didn't realize the game never started. Also, just checking retrosheet, the Sox stayed at home to play a series against Toronto. The next game was a night game on the 13th vs the Blue Jays, so you could argue that the Sox weren't in a rush to catch a flight like the Rangers were.

RockRiversoxfan
07-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I'd be angry too if I had to play for the Rangers, and I had to play day games in 110-degree heat, and had a bunch of ignorant fans not understand that in baseball, "points" are not just scored in groups of seven or three, and was in an organization that traded away pitcher like Chris Young, John Danks, Edinson Volquez, etc.
i would hate playing for the rangers. they are the only team in baseball that has been to the postseason but has never won a series. they play in the heat almost every game. And the cowboys get more press

Foulke You
07-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Thats right...that Victor Guy who is currently on the dl for Texas did keep hitting AJ. If he is off the dl and pitches vs the sox...and hits someone..it might just be on. I hope not,we have old guys that can get hurt but if it goes down...I want Carlos Quentin on my side.
The jerk pitcher you are referring to is Vicente Padilla. He not only plunked AJ a couple of times, he hit a couple or our other batters too. This is what lead to the infamous game where Ozzie yelled at Sox reliever/mop up man Sean Tracy to hit a Rangers player in return. Tracy did not do what he was told and was subsequently released shortly after this game whether it had anything directly to do with the incident remains up for debate.

In addition to the Padilla incident, Ozzie and Buck Showalter also have had a bunch of spats in the media when old Buck was still running the show in Texas. It could have been the Padilla incident that fueled this but I don't remember exactly what started it between them. The bottom line is, the Sox and Rangers haven't exactly been buddies the past few years.

Foulke You
07-14-2008, 11:56 PM
I have never seen a natural playing surface play that fast before. It literally reminded me of playing in the Metrodome when they still had that old billiard felt covering the playing surface. That Arlington infield is easily quicker than the current Metrodome surface which is amazing. They want to know why they have to beat teams 12-11 to win a ballgame? Look no further than your ballpark. Those Rangers pitchers have no chance there.

Also, does anyone else remember this stadium playing like this when it opened? I know it was always a hitters park for HRs but I never remember the infield playing this fast in the 90s or even a few years ago.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2008, 12:16 AM
In addition to the Padilla incident, Ozzie and Buck Showalter also have had a bunch of spats in the media when old Buck was still running the show in Texas. It could have been the Padilla incident that fueled this but I don't remember exactly what started it between them. The bottom line is, the Sox and Rangers haven't exactly been buddies the past few years.

Showalter was hated by most of the Rangers, too. He was one of those micromanagers who made his team wear ties on the road, etc. He was a hyper-disciplinarian; the opposite of Ozzie. Ozzie ripped on him for never having played the game at the MLB level and for being so focused on stupid stuff like wearing ties.

If I were the Rangers, I'd be pissed that I traded Danks AND Masset and Rasner for McCarthy, who is STILL on the DL.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2008, 12:21 AM
I have never seen a natural playing surface play that fast before. It literally reminded me of playing in the Metrodome when they still had that old billiard felt covering the playing surface. That Arlington infield is easily quicker than the current Metrodome surface which is amazing. They want to know why they have to beat teams 12-11 to win a ballgame? Look no further than your ballpark. Those Rangers pitchers have no chance there.

Also, does anyone else remember this stadium playing like this when it opened? I know it was always a hitters park for HRs but I never remember the infield playing this fast in the 90s or even a few years ago.

Given that Sunday was a day game and the infield was baked in sunlight during the game, it would dry out and become hard very quickly; even more than during a night game.

These are the longest days of the year, as well, and the angle of the suns' rays are the most direct. That's going to dry it out more this time of year, too.

It's possible there might be some gamesmanship, too: Knowing that Danks and Floyd rely on ground ball outs, the Rangers may have intentionally under-watered the infield just to make it harder so that more ground balls would get through.

Or, in a more general sense, perhaps the Rangers figure that their odds of winning increase as the score gets higher and higher: the more runs score, the more they powerful offense has a chance to out-slug the opposition (since given the "non-changing" characteristics of the stadium: fences, jet stream, etc.) there are not going to be many pitchers duels in Arlington in the summer.

Nellie_Fox
07-15-2008, 01:50 AM
...any other hitter in our lineup probably would have kilt.
http://kiltblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/usa-kilts-ramsey-1-sm.jpg :scratch:

TornLabrum
07-15-2008, 07:58 AM
good to see that the manager continues to display the maturity that he demands from everyone else.
I guess you never would have survived the Jimmie Dykes era.

GAsoxfan
07-15-2008, 08:44 AM
In 2005 Buehrle accused the Rangers of cheating by tipping pitches from centerfield. I don't know how many of those guys are still on the Rangers, but that probably didn't help matters.

btrain929
07-15-2008, 09:14 AM
http://kiltblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/usa-kilts-ramsey-1-sm.jpg :scratch:

I was using some Hawk verbage. Try to stay with the tour group here...

Lip Man 1
07-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Brian:

The fact the the Sox "home game" was moved to Texas in the first place is partially responsible. The time spent waiting had nothing to do with it. Sox players at the time were upset they "lost" a game that should have been played at Comiskey Park (and in the middle of a pennant race to boot.) That didn't help matters. Couple that with Ryan throwing at the Sox immediately after Grebeck and Guillen hit home runs as well as doing it in that moved game itself and you had the makings of an explosive situation.

Lip

bluestar
07-15-2008, 11:11 AM
The jerk pitcher you are referring to is Vicente Padilla. He not only plunked AJ a couple of times, he hit a couple or our other batters too. This is what lead to the infamous game where Ozzie yelled at Sox reliever/mop up man Sean Tracy to hit a Rangers player in return. Tracy did not do what he was told and was subsequently released shortly after this game whether it had anything directly to do with the incident remains up for debate.

IIRC, there was some speculation after the Padilla-plunking incidents that Padilla held a grudge against AJ even before AJ came to the Sox. I think it went back to the time when AJ was with SF and Padilla was with the Phillies.

The bad blood between Ozzie and Showalter goes all the way back to Ozzie's rookie year as manager of the Sox. In a Spring Training game that year, Joey Cora reportedly made a lineup card as a joke that contained head shots of each of the Sox players as well as their email addresses. Cora did this to poke fun at Showalter's penchant for micromanagement, but it angered Showalter and he complained about it.

Later during the season, the Sox visited the Rangers. At the time, the Rangers' third base coach was serving a suspension. Their regular first base coach moved to third, and John Wetteland, who was the Rangers' "roving pitching instructor" took over the job as first base coach. In the first inning, Ozzie came out of the dugout and questioned Wetteland's presence at first, since the rules say that any replacement coaches used on the field must be part of the big-league staff. The umpires informed Ozzie that the Rangers had received permission to have Wetteland on the field. Ozzie was okay with that and went back to the dugout.

After the game, Showalter criticized Ozzie's knowledge of the rules and went on to say something about Kenny Williams needing to let Guillen know about that rule. This led to a series of hilarious comments from Ozzie where he referred to Showalter as "the best manager in baseball history" and "the guy that invented baseball." He also said that Showalter, "...never even smelled a jock in the big leagues. He didn't even know how the clubhouse in the big leagues was when he got his first job...'Mr. Baseball' never even got a hit in Triple-A. He was a backup catcher or a first baseman all his career. Now all of the sudden he's the best ever in baseball." Guillen also added, "I was a better player than him, I've got more money than him and I'm better looking than him."

The entire rant was vintage Ozzie.

Saracen
07-15-2008, 12:54 PM
In 2005 Buehrle accused the Rangers of cheating by tipping pitches from centerfield. I don't know how many of those guys are still on the Rangers, but that probably didn't help matters.
This is actually what started the bad blood off. It's still mentioned on the radio here that Buehrle is a whiner when the Sox come to town. Ozzie contributed by belittling Showalter too. Hasn't really been the Rangers who are pricks....

That said, Ozzie's rant on Showalter was hilarious, vintage stuff. And I love me a good intense rivalry with two teams who don't like each other.

Britt Burns
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Sox Girl:

There you go.

Lip

Robin's 2 grand-slams against the Rangers were until Game 4 of the WS the sweetest thing I had ever seen attending a Sox game.

SoxGirl4Life
07-15-2008, 02:50 PM
This is actually what started the bad blood off. It's still mentioned on the radio here that Buehrle is a whiner when the Sox come to town. Ozzie contributed by belittling Showalter too. Hasn't really been the Rangers who are pricks....

That said, Ozzie's rant on Showalter was hilarious, vintage stuff. And I love me a good intense rivalry with two teams who don't like each other.

must have killed them to be no-hit by Buehrle.

whitesox901
07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I think its just the heat, and the fact that the Sox never catch a break down there.

Hitmen77
07-19-2008, 12:27 AM
The latest on the Ozzie vs. Wilson thing:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080718-ozzie-guillen-texas-cj-wilson,1,351833.story

chisoxfan83
07-19-2008, 01:52 PM
IIRC in 2005 I was at a game against texas at the cell on a get away day and Showalter had the umps measure the height of the mound thinking we had an unfair advantage and also probably playing mind games after the whole stealing signals thing in Texas.

oeo
07-19-2008, 01:58 PM
The latest on the Ozzie vs. Wilson thing:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080718-ozzie-guillen-texas-cj-wilson,1,351833.story

This is how I felt the whole series with quite a few guys on the team. Brandon Boggs? Who the hell is this guy acting like he's the ****?

RadioheadRocks
07-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I also seem to remember a 1980 game at Arlington Stadium where for some reason (I'll be damned if I know why, maybe Lip can shed some light on this) the Rangers had a "Beat The Sox" night. I remember watching this game on TV, they gave white socks to their fans who waved them like crazy throughout the game, and the Rangers won it.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
That's true they did. During the late 70's, the Sox had a stretch of something like 25 wins in 33 games against Texas.

I can look up the exact numbers later on.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
07-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Ok, so it was one of those "rally the troops to succeed against a team that gave them problems" thing, as opposed to something that sprung up from some sort of controversy.

Soxman219
07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Texas must be losing to the Twins on purpose to make sure the Twins are in first before we play them at the HHH Dome!