PDA

View Full Version : Will the AL get to replace Ortiz for the All Star Game?

Mohoney
07-14-2008, 03:46 AM
I was just curious if the AL is allowed to name a replacement for him, because so far, they have not done so.

The NL replaced Alfonso Soriano with David Wright, so they aren't down a player.

Soxfanspcu11
07-14-2008, 04:28 AM
I was just curious if the AL is allowed to name a replacement for him, because so far, they have not done so.

The NL replaced Alfonso Soriano with David Wright, so they aren't down a player.

I don't see any reason why they would not be able to name a replacement for him. Unless there is some rule in place that I have never heard of. I mean, if he can not play, then what is the point of him even being there!?! Off the Top of My Dome (and keep in mind, this is Late Night/Early Morning Brain Transmitting) I can think of about a a Dozen or so players that should be able to go in his place. Sure it's not Big Papi, and anyone else would be a Downgrade, at least in the eye's of many fans but what other options are there really?!?!?

I mean, are they just going to have Ortiz put his uniform on and have him walk around the field??? I could HONESTLY see them do it. And go with the whole, "David Ortiz's last Friendly Romp at Yankee Stadium" angle. They would/will have him all decked out and signing autographs for the fans. Just about as stupid as could be.

And even though he can't effectively wipe his own ass currently, they will probably keep him on the roster just in case a scenario comes up where the AL is down by 2 Runs, Runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs. And they will probably stick in Ortiz in that situation. Despite the fact that it could completely ruin his career and he wouldn't stand a chance at the plate, they would do it anyway because you gotta give the fans what they want!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Scottiehaswheels
07-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Didn't they already pick Milton Bradley? :shrug:

South Side Irish
07-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Didn't they already pick Milton Bradley? :shrug:

I wasn't sure if Milton was picked from the subs to start, or if he was added immediately. I'm not sure, as I've never taken the time to count the number of players. I just trust MLB!:redneck

pierzynski07
07-14-2008, 08:22 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2008/roster_league.jsp

33 players listed for the AL, with Ortiz as the one player who won't play. So the lineup is set.

Mohoney
07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I thought that Milton Bradley made the team and was just Ortiz's replacement in the starting lineup. I must have been wrong, because there are indeed 33 players listed there.

soxwon
07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Paul Konerko was named.

chisoxfanatic
07-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Paul Konerko was named.
:tealpolice:

Not even a pep-talk from DA REVERAND would better things at this point. :(: