PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Cabrera to the Sox?

SoxNation05
07-14-2008, 03:00 AM
My buddy is good friends with George Ofman of 670 the score. Sunday morning on the hit and run segrment Ofman said that KW is interested in a pitcher on a contending team. That pitcher he was referring to was Daniel Cabrera. He seems to be an all right pitcher maybe they see something in him. If Contreras keeps this up I would welcome this move. No word on who we would be giving up.

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2008, 03:12 AM
My buddy is good friends with George Ofman of 670 the score.I'm sorry.

oeo
07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
It makes sense. Kenny has been rumored to be after him before. Another high ceiling guy, if he could just learn to throw strikes consistently.

DeadMoney
07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Cabrera: 129.0 IP, 126 H, 62 ER, 15 HR, 57 BB, 71 K, 4.33 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, .261 BAA
Contreras: 119.1 IP, 127 H, 61 ER, 12 HR, 35 BB, 68 K, 4.60 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, .270 BAA

I'm not sure Cabrera is much of an improvement over Contreras at this point, but it's an interesting thought. He's probably 10+ years younger, and has electric stuff. IF he could throw strikes consistently, I believe he'd probably improve his ERA by about a half a run or more. For this to make any sense though, the O's would have to be so fed up with Cabrera that they would be selling him at a low price. And, if he could be had for a decent price, it's definitely worth a thought. He does have A LOT of upside, but he's getting to a point where it might just be that this guy is a bust.

PatK
07-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Cabrera and Brian Roberts for Juan Uribe. Kenny, make it happen

cws05champ
07-14-2008, 08:57 AM
I think Cabrera would make a dynamite bullpen arm...but that's just me.

Craig Grebeck
07-14-2008, 08:59 AM
I'd welcome the Cabrera move. He still has great potential -- it's just god damn frustrating watching him pitch sometimes.

doublem23
07-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Leo Mazzone couldn't get his head on straight, so I'm suspicious if he'll ever be able to put it together, but what the hell? I really think the Sox could use another starter to protect against Contreras and Vazquez's mental meltdowns.

Can't imagine what the O's would want from us, though.

The Immigrant
07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Seeing what the Sox were able to do with Thornton and Floyd, this kind of move could pay major dividends down the road. We usually do well when Kenny buys low.

oeo
07-14-2008, 09:40 AM
I think Cabrera would make a dynamite bullpen arm...but that's just me.

We tried the electric arms that had trouble finding the strike zone last year.

Seeing what the Sox were able to do with Thornton and Floyd, this kind of move could pay major dividends down the road. We usually do well when Kenny buys low.

I don't know how low Kenny would be buying. Cabrera has been okay this year.

WhiteSox5187
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
You can never have too much pitching.

areilly
07-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd welcome the Cabrera move. He still has great potential -- it's just god damn frustrating watching him pitch sometimes.

You're right on his potential, but I'm not sure 1.5 games up in July is the right time to gamble. D. Cabrera might be much better served as an offseason target.

Jerko
07-14-2008, 10:07 AM
The Orioles are a contending team? :scratch:

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2008, 10:21 AM
If the Sox could somehow manage to sign Crede long-term, that would make Fields available as trade bait.

balke
07-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Leo Mazzone couldn't get his head on straight, so I'm suspicious if he'll ever be able to put it together, but what the hell? I really think the Sox could use another starter to protect against Contreras and Vazquez's mental meltdowns.

Can't imagine what the O's would want from us, though.

Getz/Link//Haeger/Broadway/Russell/Logan I'd imagine. There's decent enough stuff to get him. How many guys would it take? Does that mean we send Contreras?

It is possible to keep him til 2011 though. If it only took Broadway and Getz or Richar, it might be worth it. Sox could get him I think. But, what to give up? Cabrera is a big gamble. Might as well have Dotel start. But, what a great gamble when you have a guy like Coop waiting to work with him.

btrain929
07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
This would definitely be a buy-high move, since this is probably one of the best seasons he's put together. I have a feeling BAL would be asking a pretty penny for him, in which case I'd pass.

gr8mexico
07-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I wonder if we can take a huge gamble here and get Cabrera and Roberts for Jose Contreras, Orlando Cabrera, Josh Fields, Danny Richar and Getz. They can always trade Orlando to another contender. Ramirez moves to SS.

JermaineDye05
07-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Even though Kenny and Coop have a knack for fixing pitchers, I dont know about Cabrera. The just seems like a head case. Although I did feel the same way about Gavin.

btrain929
07-14-2008, 12:59 PM
I wonder if we can take a huge gamble here and get Cabrera and Roberts for Jose Contreras, Orlando Cabrera, Josh Fields, Danny Richar and Getz. They can always trade Orlando to another contender. Ramirez moves to SS.

If they were trading Cabrera and Roberts, it would be for a rebuilding mode, which means it would make 0 sense for them taking a huge contract like Contreras off our hands.

JermaineDye05
07-14-2008, 12:59 PM
If the Sox could somehow manage to sign Crede long-term, that would make Fields available as trade bait.

The O's have Mora at 3B, I'm not sure how long he's signed for but he's pretty good there.

I can't think of what the O's might want, they're set in the outfield as well as the middle infield unless they're trying to get rid of Roberts. I would think maybe they want a 1B with some pop, which would make me think Konerko or Thome, but I really don't see either going anywhere. With Thome being too old and Konerko having the ability to veto any trade, not to mention he's struggled pretty bad this year. I would think the O's would ask for prospects on return, but I really don't see who the sox have to offer. Richar? Getz? Armstrong? Broadway? The just don't seem to have that much. Unless Baltimore is selling this guy really low, then I say take a shot.

Lukin13
07-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I am pretty sure that Cabrera's hype was back when he literally struck out a guy an inning.

Now he has the same ratio as Contreras. That isn't good enough for a wild guy who strikes people out.

Kenny has the right idea, we need strikeout pitchers in our ballpark, the only problem is Cabrera hasn't been had his ridiculous stuff for going on two years now.

btrain929
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
The O's have Mora at 3B, I'm not sure how long he's signed for but he's pretty good there.

I can't think of what the O's might want, they're set in the outfield as well as the middle infield unless they're trying to get rid of Roberts. I would think maybe they want a 1B with some pop, which would make me think Konerko or Thome, but I really don't see either going anywhere. With Thome being too old and Konerko having the ability to veto any trade, not to mention he's struggled pretty bad this year. I would think the O's would ask for prospects on return, but I really don't see who the sox have to offer. Richar? Getz? Armstrong? Broadway? The just don't seem to have that much. Unless Baltimore is selling this guy really low, then I say take a shot.

They have absolutely nobody good at SS.

doublem23
07-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I am pretty sure that Cabrera's hype was back when he literally struck out a guy an inning.

Now he has the same ratio as Contreras. That isn't good enough for a wild guy who strikes people out.

Kenny has the right idea, we need strikeout pitchers in our ballpark, the only problem is Cabrera hasn't been had his ridiculous stuff for going on two years now.

We're short on resources, so we're going to have to acquire a "project" and hope that Coop and the rest of the coaching staff can turn him around.

russ99
07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
If they were trading Cabrera and Roberts, it would be for a rebuilding mode, which means it would make 0 sense for them taking a huge contract like Contreras off our hands.

Plus the conversations for Roberts alone would start with Egbert and Poreda. The thought that we can get two blue-chip players with Cabrera and our leftovers is a bit ludicrous.

Foulke You
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Plus the conversations for Roberts alone would start with Egbert and Poreda. The thought that we can get two blue-chip players with Cabrera and our leftovers is a bit ludicrous.
Not to mention the fact that getting Roberts would send Alexei Ramirez or Orlando Cabrera to the bench. Two guys in the lineup who are producing on offense and defense. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Not sure why people are hot to replace one of those two guys. I'm perfectly fine with the middle of our infield.

Madscout
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Not to mention the fact that getting Roberts would send Alexei Ramirez or Orlando Cabrera to the bench. Two guys in the lineup who are producing on offense and defense. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Not sure why people are hot to replace one of those two guys. I'm perfectly fine with the middle of our infield.
:hawk
"Boy, I tell you, if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Seriously though, spot on. Nothing wrong with OC and AR, no need to make a change that may be good in the long run, but screw up our chances this year.

DumpJerry
07-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Signed through 2009, 2010 club option. NTC 2007-2009.

UofCSoxFan
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Cabrera: 129.0 IP, 126 H, 62 ER, 15 HR, 57 BB, 71 K, 4.33 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, .261 BAA
Contreras: 119.1 IP, 127 H, 61 ER, 12 HR, 35 BB, 68 K, 4.60 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, .270 BAA

I'm not sure Cabrera is much of an improvement over Contreras at this point, but it's an interesting thought. He's probably 10+ years younger, and has electric stuff. IF he could throw strikes consistently, I believe he'd probably improve his ERA by about a half a run or more. For this to make any sense though, the O's would have to be so fed up with Cabrera that they would be selling him at a low price. And, if he could be had for a decent price, it's definitely worth a thought. He does have A LOT of upside, but he's getting to a point where it might just be that this guy is a bust.

Thing is, Jose's stats are mediocre at best, even with 2 good months at the beginning of the year, stressing just how awful he has been lately. I haven't seen Cabrera much, if at all this year, but I can say Jose looks like crap right now. If he is going to conistently thourgh a wild 86 mph, there are many guys in the majors (and the minors for that matter) that would be an improvement.

UofCSoxFan
07-14-2008, 05:11 PM

Orlando Cabrera gets conistently bashed on this site and I can't figure out why. He has a rough first 3 weeks in a Sox uniform and has been great defensively and offensively ever since. It's like people made up their mind right away and haven't adjusted to reality.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Orlando Cabrera gets conistently bashed on this site and I can't figure out why. He has a rough first 3 weeks in a Sox uniform and has been great defensively and offensively ever since. It's like people made up their mind right away and haven't adjusted to reality.

It has to do with the selfish **** he pulled early in the season.That and
all signs point to him leaving at the end of the year because he wants
to so he never gave Sox fans a reason to warm up to him.Oh yeah,the
****ty start he had didn't help either.But the guy can play no doubt.

Ziggy S
07-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours
But I think that G-d's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die
I expect to find Him, laughing

Tragg
07-14-2008, 08:59 PM
If we can get him for a bargain - for what a 1.42 whip and 4.8 era pitcher is worth - fine.

doublem23
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM

I can't figure it out either. Personally, I'm not looking forward to making a play-off push with Ramirez and Getz/Richar as out DP combo.

Optipessimism
07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I can't figure it out either. Personally, I'm not looking forward to making a play-off push with Ramirez and Getz/Richar as out DP combo.
Why? Ramirez at SS would beat the hell out of OC defensively and Richar is only a slight downgrade from what Ramirez is doing there now. We'd have the sickest defensive MIF in the division, and one of the top defensive MIF in the American League, if not the best.

Tragg
07-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I'll take Richar/Ramirez plus 9 million (toward additional talent) over Ramirez/ Cabrera any day.
Cabrera's been fine, but we better get those draft choices.

doublem23
07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Why? Ramirez at SS would beat the hell out of OC defensively and Richar is only a slight downgrade from what Ramirez is doing there now. We'd have the sickest defensive MIF in the division, and one of the top defensive MIF in the American League, if not the best.

We already have one of the best defensive MIF in the league, Richar isn't a minor downgrade, he's a significant defensive downgrade from Ramirez and his bat isn't even near worth it to replace Cabrera.

I'm content keeping OC around for the year, getting to the play-offs, letting him walk this off-season and collecting the draft picks.

Tragg
07-15-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm content keeping OC around for the year, getting to the play-offs, letting him walk this off-season and collecting the draft picks.
Probably have him next year too - I'd think he'd take arbitration in a heartbeat.
I wouldnt' trade him now either, barring some really great deal.

Nellie_Fox
07-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Probably have him next year too - I'd think he'd take arbitration in a heartbeat.I doubt that he'd accept arbitration. I think he's looking for a multi-year, large dollar, guaranteed deal.

Mohoney
07-15-2008, 05:30 AM
I doubt that he'd accept arbitration. I think he's looking for a multi-year, large dollar, guaranteed deal.

I think he is, too. He probably only has one more big cash grab in him, and I doubt that he would risk it by accepting arbitration, unless he really loved the situation here.

The only solution I see is the same solution with Crede. Win the World Series again. Cabrera accepts arbitration (or signs long term) and Crede signs long term. The added playoff and World Series revenue cover these signings for at least 2 or 3 years.

Tragg
07-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I doubt that he'd accept arbitration. I think he's looking for a multi-year, large dollar, guaranteed deal.
A 34 year old SS with a career OBP of .320 gets a long term contract in excess of $9 mill a year (or thereabouts)? That's about the deal that Renteria - a better hitter - got when he was 30.
I don't see it, but maybe so.
Regardless, offer him arb. and take the draft choices.

thedudeabides
07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Even though Kenny and Coop have a knack for fixing pitchers, I dont know about Cabrera. The just seems like a head case. Although I did feel the same way about Gavin.

I agree, but they tend to target players they see a flaw in they believe they can fix. Contreras, Thornton, Gavin, and even Loiza's first go around. Maybe, they see something.

One of the problems I've heard is he has trouble repeating his delivery because of his height(6'9"). This is a common problem with tall pitchers and sometimes it takes them a while to figure it out. Some do(Randy Johnson), some don't(Sisco). I've also heard he has grown two inches from the original time he was called up. So, maybe he is a little older or younger than listed at 27. It wouldn't be the first time we've seen this out of the Dominican.

Either way, if the price is right I would like to see it. Maybe, they even see him as a bullen arm. I think the O's have about had it with him and I don't think he would cost much.