PDA

View Full Version : 6 Stadiums in 7 days... review

JohnTucker0814
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Well, I just got back on my trip and visited 6 stadiums in 7 days... it was an awesome trip... let me give you my feedback of all 6 stadiums...

1. Camden Yards at Oriole Park, Baltimore - The stadium is absolutely beautiful! Outside of the right field wall is a strip of places to eat and is a huge party place before and during the game (would have been a bigger party place if there would have been a sold out crowd). I had seats in the front row just on the foul side of the left field line, couldn't ask for better seats! The people there were very friendly, and the food was decent. All around it was a very enjoyable game... Final Grade - B +

2. Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia - Again, the stadium was very nice, had a cool area in left field where there were a ton of places to eat and buy souvinears. I had a Philly Cheese Steak and it was terrible... I didn't expect it to be great, but I figured that I was in Philly and had to have one... The people here would pretty good, however not one time did the fans stand on their feet and cheer unless it was a homerun... I'm used to Cell where when it's a huge moment we stand and cheer! Final Grade - B

3. Yankee Stadium, Bronx - This is the 2nd time I've been there and I guess that was 1 time too many. The food was terrible, I had front row seats in the outfield and even though it's posted that there is no traffic while the ball is in play there wasn't a moment of the game where someone wasn't walking right in front of me. I asked the ushers when they would start enforcing this rule and they just shrugged me off. The 1st time I was there they were very good about not letting anyone walking through the tunnel to their seats until the 3rd out. I know why they are building a new stadium - Final Grade - C -

4. Shea Stadium, Queens - 1st visit to this stadium for me and if they weren't building a new stadium I would never want to go back to this stadium. I don't know if I was having a bad day or what but there are a lot of things I have to complain about: 1. The stadium opened 2 hours before the game which was cool, but the Loge level didn't have any concessions open until an hour later... the only concessions was on the main level which you needed a ticket for! Very frustrating to not be able to get a soda or dog. 2. When I finally got my food and there was still some batting practice going I sat a few rows in front of where our seats where to eat our food and watch some BP... an usher came by and said you have to go to your seats, and I asked if that is a rule? He said it is a rule, however there were a ton of people down each baseline trying to get autos and there was practically no one in our section... I wanted to sit out in the open air and enjoy the batting practice, instead of up under the upper deck in the dark and heat... 3. Rude people working for the Mets. The usher, even though he was just following his rules, the concession people when I asked when they'd be open were very rude... just a terrible experience! Final Grade - D

5. Key Span Park, Brooklyn (Home of the Brooklyn Cyclones) - We heard that the Cyclones were something that we had to see while we were in Brooklyn... I'll admit it was pretty good environment. There were a lot of people there, the stadium is in Coney Island... nothing really special, but an above average minor league park. Final Grade - B

6. Fenway Park, Boston - First time I've been to the stadium and I was very impressed! I know a lot of people on here can't stand the Red Sox and I was expecting a very rude and "special" crowd. Just the opposite! It seemed like every fan was there 2 hours before the game, the streets were packed with Sawx Fans... They were very nice, answered questions that we had and the stadium was actually in pretty good shape. The concourse was fairly wide for a stadium built in early 1900... We had seats in the 4th row dead center! There were no chants of NY Sucks or antything, like I heard you'd hear even if the Yankees weren't in town. The fans were in the game the entire time... and when they played Sweet Caroline it was awesome to hear that many people get into that song! I was really impressed and if I wasn't a die hard White Sox fan, that game would have probably made me a Red Sox fan... although I had a funny story while I was there... There were 2 guys in front of me from Chicago and they were "die hard Cub" fans... the guy was like the White Sox don't have good fans bro... they never show up bro... A.J. hustles only when it matters bro... it was nice to just look at him and say, "we've won the world series in the last 5 years, bro!" He was a stereotypical drunk cub fan... then the funniest part is there was another guy sitting 2 people to the left of me and he leaned around my buddy and said to me, "Please don't think ALL Cub's fans are like that, some of us actually come to game and keep score and watch it like a baseball fan!" I just laughed... how funny was it that there were three of us groups from the midwest sitting next to each other! We ate dinner at a bar next to Fenway Park after the game and the people were awesome! Final Grade - A

We also went to the HOF and I've been there before so it was no big deal, except the $35 parking ticket I got... that town is a total rip off!

But we had a great time and were very glad that we picked Fenway to go to the last day because it made our trip end on a great note!

roylestillman
07-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Everybody should do this once in their life. I did 11 Major League stadiums in 12 days by car back in 1990. Like you we also stopped Cooperstown. It was crazy and exhausting but it still ranks as the best vacation I ever did.

After Shea and Yankee close, only one ballpark (Fenway) will remain active of the 11 I saw on that trip.

WagMan
07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
That sounds like an awesome trip. I'll be hitting Shea and Yankee stadium in September with a side trip to Cooperstown. I was hoping to get into Fenway one night as well, but that doesn't appear likely. Can't wait to see New York for the first time for the last time....

Harry Potter
07-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I just got back from a similar trip last weekend. Hit up Cooperstown on 7/3, spent the holiday in NYC, Red Sox/Yanks at Yankee Stadium 7/5, drove up to Boston for Twins/Red Sox at Fenway on 7/7, then back to NYC for Giants/Mets at Shea on 7/8.

Fortunately made the cut to check out Monument Park and I highly recommend taking the official tour of Fenway if you have the chance. Was able to score field box seats at Shea from a friend and ended up sitting five rows behind first base.

Although Cooperstown and Fenway were the highlights of the trip, I had a great time throughout the 2,300 mile trip.

Can't wait to see New Yankee Stadium and Citi Field sometime down the road.

JohnTucker0814
07-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I just got back from a similar trip last weekend. Hit up Cooperstown on 7/3, spent the holiday in NYC, Red Sox/Yanks at Yankee Stadium 7/5, drove up to Boston for Twins/Red Sox at Fenway on 7/7, then back to NYC for Giants/Mets at Shea on 7/8.

Fortunately made the cut to check out Monument Park and I highly recommend taking the official tour of Fenway if you have the chance. Was able to score field box seats at Shea from a friend and ended up sitting five rows behind first base.

Although Cooperstown and Fenway were the highlights of the trip, I had a great time throughout the 2,300 mile trip.

Can't wait to see New Yankee Stadium and Citi Field sometime down the road.

We took the Yankee stadium tour and it was pretty awesome. Getting the time to look around Monument Park and walking along the warning track, then sitting in the dugout... that was very enjoyable... We didn't have time to do the Fenway tour, but hopefully will go back soon and do that tour!