PDA

View Full Version : *Official* how about a hit Paulie? 7-13 postgame thread

DumpJerry
07-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks Paulie.
22 hits, none by Paulie.

WhiteSox5187
Well, we didn't deserve to be that close to a win. Awful day for Paulie.

Madvora
M V P K

chisoxmike
07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Pretty amazing loss. Konerko went 0-6, looked at strike three to end the game, and he left 8 men on. Wow.

Another series loss to a team over .500...

And Jose blows. It's time.

ondafarm
Ozzie the idiot blows another one!!!

Patrick134
Not a big game. A nice road trip, and an excellent first half. Rest up, and go get em Friday!

wsf2006
The biggest disappointment I've ever seen. I hope he gets traded.

WhiteSox5187
07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I guess I missed Ozzie's at bats today. How did he do? Did he leave eight men on?

LITTLE NELL
When was the last time the Sox had 22 hits and lost? How many did PK leave on base today?
At least we didnt quit.

MarySwiss

Nice first post. Thanks for your input.

DumpJerry
He's a 5/10 player with low trade value. Won't happen.

JGarlandrules20
07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
I missed most of the game, but this is why I really dread the Rangers series. We get into ugly slugfests and it turns into a really sloppy baseball game.

SoxGirl4Life

:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
Nice first post.
He spoke the truth. What's wrong with it?

WhiteSox5187
Not a big game. A nice road trip, and an excellent first half. Rest up, and go get em Friday!
It was a pretty ugly road trip, the amazing thing is we finished .500, but it was a bigger game then you let on because we had a chance to put some ground between us and Minnesota. We need to do that every chance we get.

It's Time

Go watch the 05 World series and get back to me.

Tragg
22 hits can't overcome rough pitching and more clown managing from Guillen.

Lukin13
07-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Paulie suckin

wsf2006
Nice first post. Thanks for your input.
I've been here a lot ... just not recently. Konerko sucks. He's finished. And don't slam me. I have a right to my opinion.

WhiteSox5187
22 hits can't overcome rough pitching and clown managing .
So you subscribe to the: "Let's bring in tired arms early in the game and make them even more tired" theory too, eh?

Rockabilly
man its a shame that the rumor Konerko deal didnt go through in the off season with AZ

DumpJerry
07-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Nice road trip? We were damn lucky to win those two games in KC.

roadrunner
that was lame paulie

kidmccarthy
Nice effort in the 9th. Good offensive momentum heading into the allstar break. Unfortunately we may need a new 5th starter. Any ideas?

alohafri

That's just a BIT extreme. We wouldn't get anything for him except a box of Titleists anyway. :wink:

But I still say he looks lost. Swing at ball four, which according to Stoney was a ball by about 8", and watches strike three go by to end the game. That doesn't exactly exude confidence!

PeoriaSoxFan
Why did we lose today? I am sure there are several reasons, but none more glaring than the fact that Jose C. is now back to being a suck ass pitcher. Seriously, this guy is tossing sidearm softballs up there. Something must be done. Either he gets better before his next start, or Masset or someone outside the organization becomes the 5th starter. I say...lets call Freddy G. Can he be worse than Jose right now? We need another starter and/or don't need Jose anymore. And, then there is Paulie.....how do you take that feaking pitch?????/ Jim Thome, you got screwed on that called 3rd strike. All in all, we battled, but this should have been a blow out. Jose you flat our suck right now.

itsnotrequired
Thanks Paulie.

Yep, all on Konerko. Quentin stranding five, Uribe stranding five (and committing an error), Ramirez grounding into two double plays (and also committing an error), Contreras giving up seven runs on ten hits, Russel giving up a pair of runs (and a wild pitch and hitting a batter), Logan not pitching over mistakes, etc.

But please, continue to blame the loss on Konerko...

WhiteSox5187
We'll always love Paulie for '05, but he can't keep living on that forever. There comes a point where you have to say "Yea, good year then Paulie, but if you don't start hitting..."

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:19 PM
With the tone of this thread, I think I'll be taking the all-star break off myself.

cheezheadsoxfan
22 hits can't overcome rough pitching and more clown managing from Guillen.

And horse**** defense.

Corlose 15
Its disappointing to see neither Thome nor Konerko take the bat off of their shoulders at the end of the game there. Though Thome has heated up considerably, had a good game, and was frozen but a high slider.

Konerko on the other had has been awful for most of the year.

Woofer
The 3 4 and 5 spots in the lineup got us jack squat there. This game will leave a bad taste in my mouth until Friday. This has been a bad all around 4 game stretch, and I think I need an All Star type break from watching these guys.

ArkanSox
Bad defense, atrocious pitching, untimely hitting (or lack of hitting), bitter disappointment. Sloppy, ugly game, but you know what?

It sure was exciting. No quit in our White Sox.

I'll definitely be looking forward to the home stretch.

Go Go American League!!!

Bill Naharodny
07-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Nice effort in the 9th. Good offensive momentum heading into the allstar break. Unfortunately we may need a new 5th starter. Any ideas?

Paul Konerko

tstrike2000
Yeah Paul looked like garbage, especially at the end, but if Jose keeps leaving the forkball floating belt high, we can't keep spotting a team 4 or 5 runs every time he goes out on the hill.

Tragg
So you subscribe to the: "Let's bring in tired arms early in the game and make them even more tired" theory too, eh?
I subscribe to the the theory that let's see who has something left and pitch them, because the whole bullpen isn't tired (that's linebrink) and we have 4 days off. I also subscribe to the stop coddling selected veterans theory.

I say...lets call Freddy G. Can he be worse than Jose right now?

Freddy Garcia isn't going to be ready to pitch until late August, at a minimum. He's not the answer.

Patrick134
07-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Look around the league at road records for everyone. A .500 trip is fine., It's not jump for joy good, but it's fine.

fquaye149

BRING BACK WILLIE HARRIS!!!!!!!

WHERE IS DUSTIN HERMANSON?!?!?!?!?!?

alohafri
I missed the start of the game. Why was Crede given the day off?

MarySwiss

He spoke the truth. What's wrong with it?

Are you serious? Biggest disappointment? Not even close!! Sheesh, c'mon, Bob! You know better.

chisoxmike
Yep, all on Konerko. Quentin stranding five, Uribe stranding five (and committing an error), Ramirez grounding into two double plays (and also committing an error), Contreras giving up seven runs on ten hits, Russel giving up a pair of runs (and a wild pitch and hitting a batter), Logan not pitching over mistakes, etc.

I don't think anybody is blaming the loss on Konerko, but he was pretty pathetic today.Plenty of blame to go around... Jose was spotted a 4-1 lead and he gave that right back, the bullpen has been leaving balls right over the plate, and the offense has gone back to being unable to score runners on third base with less than two outs.

Pretty pathetic game on all fronts. And they still could have pulled it out.

Let's just hope they're tired and the four days off does wonders for the Sox...

I'm more concerned about the Sox not being able to win series against teams over .500.

WhiteSox5187
Yeah Paul looked like garbage, especially at the end, but if Jose keeps leaving the forkball floating belt high, we can't keep spotting a team 4 or 5 runs every time he goes out on the hill.
Really Jose getting crushed again might be the most unnerving part of this loss. We need him and Javy to bounce back and we need them to do it in their next start.

DumpJerry
07-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Are you serious? Biggest disappointment? Not even close!! Sheesh, c'mon, Bob! You know better.
If that is the biggest disappointment that poster has ever seen, then it is. S/he was merely expressing an opinion, not a fact.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-13-2008, 06:23 PM

Yeah, it is clearly Ozzie's fault. You are the idiot. He has a team in first place at the break that was predicted to finish 4th/5th. Yeah, he is an idiot. Go over to Soxtalk.com and preach how much he sucks. I will take my World Series, the numerous winning seasons, and the happiness that I know that Jerry Manuel or Terry Bevington doesn't coach my team. :angry:

Mod Edit: Please refrain from personal attacks.

rustysurf83

Ozzie did not blow this one...KW blew this one, I believe our need for another starter is clearly apparent now and Kenny will get it done. Jose is ****ing done in my opinion.

gobears1987

:rolleyes:What do you expect from the foaming at the mouth lynch mob?

Patrick134
I missed the start of the game. Why was Crede given the day off?

Check out his batting average vs. lefties this year.

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:24 PM
What do you expect from the foaming at the mouth lynch mob?
:gulp:

MarySwiss
With the tone of this thread, I think I'll be taking the all-star break off myself.

Good idea! I think I'll join you!

(How long do you think it will be before someone posts "Good!"? 5-4-3...)

If that is the biggest disappointment that poster has ever seen, then it is. S/he was merely expressing an opinion, not a fact.
You said he spoke the truth though. Nothing about an opinion. :?:

ms620
Funny how fast people forget a good game by a player. He had 4 hits yesterday. He hit the ball solid with the bases loaded. The last AB was bad, but the pitcher threw off speed on 3-1, and obv PK was looking fastball. He was trying to hit it out. A mistake, but give the pitcher some credit for not giving in. I cannot wait until PK starts turning it up, and everyone here loves him again.

The Sox scored 11 runs. I would bet that 95% of the time that you score 11, that you win. Massett did a nice job. Too bad Jose already gave up 7. Not saying that would of mattered, b/c obviously the rest of the bullpen was struggling this weekend. But an earlier hook might have saved a couple runs.

Tough series, and a tough place to play. Obviously Texas has a great hitting team. They outhit us. Its gonna happen. Nice first half. Now lets get Thome and PK to hit consistantly, lets play better defense, and lets get Jose and Javy back to their good form.

ArkanSox
07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsf2006 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1962607#post1962607)

Nice first post. Thanks for your input

lol--welcome to WSI. :D:

DumpJerry
07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
You said he spoke the truth though. Nothing about an opinion. :?:
Given what Paulie has done in the past and the size of his contract, he is a major disappointment.

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Funny how fast people forget a good game by a player. He had 4 hits yesterday. He hit the ball solid with the bases loaded. The last AB was bad, but the pitcher threw off speed on 3-1, and obv PK was looking fastball. He was trying to hit it out. A mistake, but give the pitcher some credit for not giving in. I cannot wait until PK starts turning it up, and everyone here loves him again.

The Sox scored 11 runs. I would bet that 95% of the time that you score 11, that you win. Massett did a nice job. Too bad Jose already gave up 7. Not saying that would of mattered, b/c obviously the rest of the bullpen was struggling this weekend. But an earlier hook might have saved a couple runs.

Tough series, and a tough place to play. Obviously Texas has a great hitting team. They outhit us. Its gonna happen. Nice first half. Now lets get Thome and PK to hit consistantly, lets play better defense, and lets get Jose and Javy back to their good form.

:welcome:

MarySwiss
I don't think anybody is blaming the loss on Konerko, but he was pretty pathetic today.Plenty of blame to go around... Jose was spotted a 4-1 lead and he gave that right back, the bullpen has been leaving balls right over the plate, and the offense has gone back to being unable to score runners on third base with less than two outs.

I'm more concerned about the Sox not being able to win series against teams over .500.

Mike, I think you need to reread the thread. PLENTY of people are blaming the loss on PK.

KyWhiSoxFan

The pen has four days off after today. I don't see any problem going to the pen early. I may be wrong about this, but the Sox pen has some of the fewest innings pitched by any staff in the AL this year. Even if that is not the case, why not let Masset keep pitching? He's the long man on the team and did not allow a hit in two innings.

That said, Logan blows and Russell did too. And Contreras blows the most.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
BRING BACK WILLIE HARRIS!!!!!!!

WHERE IS DUSTIN HERMANSON?!?!?!?!?!?

I heard Damaso Marte is available.

Really, bad day for Paulie but this was definitely an all team suck fest. I think he deserves a little more time before declared done.

We're still in first, not by much but mentally a good thing. We all (Sox and WSIers) need a break.

itsnotrequired

There are plenty of hosers blaming the loss on Konerko. It is a team game, for ****s sake. Konerko was a major player in this loss but half the damn team should be ashamed of themselves.

It's just the typical scapegoat bull****. Seem like lots of people aren't satisfied unless there is a single individual to focus all their rage on. First it was Thome, then Swisher, then Cabrera, now Konerko. THe Sox lose a few in a row and everyone is calling for Walker's head. The Sox win 5, 6, 7 in a row and Walker is suddenly off the hook.

I guess being in first for eight weeks in a row is too much for some people to handle.

SoxGirl4Life
Mike, I think you need to reread the thread. PLENTY of people are blaming the loss on PK.

Its the title of the thread, for pete's sake!

chisoxmike
07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
There are plenty of hosers blaming the loss on Konerko. It is a team game, for ****s sake. Konerko was a major player in this loss but half the damn team should be ashamed of themselves.

It's just the typical scapegoat bull****. Seem like lots of people aren't satisfied unless there is a single individual to focus all their rage on. First it was Thome, then Swisher, then Cabrera, now Konerko. THe Sox lose a few in a row and everyone is calling for Walker's head. The Sox win 5, 6, 7 in a row and Walker is suddenly off the hook.

I guess being in first for eight weeks in a row is too much for some people to handle.

You are the perfect fan.

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Oh my god. Can Rongey send high voltage through the phone lines?

itsnotrequired
07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
You are the perfect fan.

I am the greatest Human in the history of Mankind.

HATE THE MEDIA

Rockabilly
Its the title of the thread, for pete's sake!

PK is only half of the reason we lost today the other half is the old man who totally sucks..

I pray to god this was his last start

alohafri

He is just the most obvious symptom of a horrible game. Yes, we almost came back to win, but that was a terrible display of professional baseball.

There are some who will always blame one player in particular no matter what he does well, and others who will always defend the same player, no matter how awful he plays.

There was enough blame in this game to go around.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Good idea! I think I'll join you!

(How long do you think it will be before someone posts "Good!"? 5-4-3...)

Mary,

Look forward to all the fun you'll have when Paulie turns it on again.

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:30 PM

You've analyzed this message board perfectly. We all need to chill a little.

alohafri
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
PK is only half of the reason we lost today the other half is the old man who totally sucks..

I pray to god this was his last start

Contreras is only 29.

KyWhiSoxFan
I am the greatest Human in the history of Mankind.

Is that an opinion or fact?

PeoriaSoxFan
This is a game we should have won as was Thursday's loss. With that said, we are 1.5 games in first over a Twins team that has won 21 or their last 27 games. Meanwhile, we are 6 in front of a Tigers team that was predicted to run away with it all. Thome is starting to hit...that is good. Javy has to get it re-started and Floyd needs to stay consistent...on the good side. Jose, in my opinion, needs to be replaced. I say bring back Freddy G., start Masset, trade for someone, or rush Poreda up. I may be crazy, but, I think we can win this division. Konerko... get it going or sit on the bench. I have faith in KW and Ozzie...lets bring this thing home.

My next game...July 21 vs. texas. Go Sox@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iron

fquaye149

typical.

No one's saying it's "all on Konerko" any more than you might say it was "all on a starting pitcher" for giving up 8 ER in 3 IP in a game you lose 9-3.

But your continual semanticizing of whether someone who performs pitifully is "to blame" for a loss is pathetic.

Konerko went 0-6 today. He left 9 men on base, including 2 in a 3-run 9th where a man on second represented a tying run. That is pitiful, and in a 1-run game where everyone else on the team at least got one hit, yes, Konerko and Contreras ought to be ashamed of themselves for how awful they looked out there.

And here's the thing: Konerko's been awful all year. With the exception of yesterday, he's been embarrassing since he came back from the DL, and he was awful before it. Chalk it up to whatever you want, but don't pretend it's not understandable why Konerko gets singled out rather than ****ing Carlos Quentin, as per your post :rolleyes:

Given what Paulie has done in the past and the size of his contract, he is a major disappointment.

Totally agree he has been a major disappointment. The biggest disappointment ever? And saying it's a fact? No, it's an opinion. Which he's entitled to.

He was bad today and he's been bad the first half. They have to hope the break clears his head and he can forget about the mess he's been in. If he continues to be bad in the 2nd half, Guillen will rotate him out. As to when that happens, that's Guillen's call. He's closest to the players and knows what they're going through and how close (or not) they are to turning it around. He's had a tendancy to be patient with players during his reign and for the most part, his patience has been rewarded.

alohafri
You've analyzed this message board perfectly. We all need to chill a little.

I thought you were taking a break? :wink: J/K

TDog
07-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Insightful postgame analysis.

wsf2006
The pen has four days off after today. I don't see any problem going to the pen early. I may be wrong about this, but the Sox pen has some of the fewest innings pitched by any staff in the AL this year. Even if that is not the case, why not let Masset keep pitching? He's the long man on the team and did not allow a hit in two innings.

That said, Logan blows and Russell did too. And Contreras blows the most.

Couldn't agree more. Ozzie sometimes does the most inexplicable things. Sometimes, he leaves pitchers out there hanging high and dry. Today, Masset was getting the job done and was good for another 3 outs easy. It all fell apart beginning with Logan and we never fully recovered after that.

cheezheadsoxfan

And they are off and running on the postgame show.

DumpJerry
Mary,

Look forward to all the fun you'll have when Paulie turns it on again.
From your lips to God's ears. I just don't see it happening any time soon. We've been singing this "when Paulie turns it on again" song for 12 months now.

He was signed because of his bat. He has no speed. His glove is pretty good, but not the only good one we have in our system. This means he is being paid the GNP of a small country to get timely hits.

He has been consistently failing in this for quite a while. Every now and then he'll have a night like last night, but it only gives us false hope.

HangWiffum
07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
i hope ozzie keeps his word and benches paulie, puts swish at first and wise/BA in center. that line up worked so well for us. thome is hitting so paulie is the odd man out

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I thought you were taking a break? :wink: J/K

Its like a car-wreck on the side of the road... :tongue:

itsnotrequired
07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
typical.

No one's saying it's "all on Konerko" any more than you might say it was "all on a starting pitcher" for giving up 8 ER in 3 IP in a game you lose 9-3.

But your continual semanticizing of whether someone who performs pitifully is "to blame" for a loss is pathetic.

Konerko went 0-6 today. He left 9 men on base, including 2 in a 3-run 9th where a man on second represented a tying run. That is pitiful, and in a 1-run game where everyone else on the team at least got one hit, yes, Konerko and Contreras ought to be ashamed of themselves for how awful they looked out there.

How is this attitude "pathetic"? Say Thome drove in the winning runs in the 9th. Would this thread title have been the same as it is?

No where have I said that Konerko is not culpable in this loss. He sucked. He sucked big time. But his suckitude doesn't give other players a free pass.

PeoriaSoxFan
Insightful postgame analysis.

Agreed. I already jumped on this, but... yeah a lot of managers can be blamed when they lose 12-11 and your team has 22 plus hits.

Railsplitter
Ugly game all around. The Ranger won because they were marginally less ugly than the Sox.

voodoochile

Wow... You going dipping in the dark side pond, DJ?

I'll take a split on the road against a red hot team like Texas and a division rival like KC. Couple other breaks go our way, the Sox go 5-1 luck or not and sure couple breaks go against us, we go 1-5. That's baseball...

:supernana: :bandance: at the break...

I'll take that for now and look forward to a fun second half. Offense is definitely waking up. Hopefully the pitching problems are just an early hit of the dead arm phase most teams experience at one point in the year and the veteran pitchers will bounce back when they catch their second half win.

For now, I got pasgetti with meat sauce for dinner and the Miss Universe pagent is on. With the Sox in first I feel pretty good for a mid-July Sunday night...

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:36 PM
And kudos to the Tigers for salvaging one against the Twins

itsnotrequired
07-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow... You going dipping in the dark side pond, DJ?

I'll take a split on the road against a red hot team like Texas and a division rival like KC. Couple other breaks go our way, the Sox go 5-1 luck or not and sure couple breaks go against us, we go 1-5. That's baseball...

:supernana: :bandance: at the break...

I'll take that for now and look forward to a fun second half. Offense is definitely waking up. Hopefully the pitching problems are just an early hit of the dead arm phase most teams experience at one point in the year and the veteran pitchers will bounce back when they catch their second half win.

For now, I got pasgetti with meat sauce for dinner and the Miss Universe pagent is on. With the Sox in first I feel pretty good for a mid-July Sunday night...

This team doesn't win the way I want them to win! I am so mad I can hardly see!

Also, women are not objects.

Lip Man 1
07-13-2008, 06:37 PM
This and that:

1. Jose Contreras has issues, serious issues and it would behoove Kenny and Ozzie to take a long hard look at this situation over the break. The trade deadline is in 2 1/2 weeks, they may need to try to get a starting pitcher.

2. Ozzie based on his comments yesterday, apparently is going to be watching Konerko closely. You could see a change there soon after the break. Today's performance didn't help Paulie's cause.

3. Nice to see the club tee off on a no-name pitcher today, unfortunately Contreras was worse.

4. This team looks tired, more mentally then physically the past few days. Three errors today didn't help...the break is coming at a good time.

5. Thank God Detroit won a game.

All in all I guess, 3-3 on the road trip isn't that bad. Sox in first at the late All Star Break. It's a two team race now gang. Sox and Minnesota. It'll be decided I think by those seven games head to head starting at the end of the month.

Enjoy the break. I think everyone needs it.

Lip

PeoriaSoxFan
07-13-2008, 06:38 PM
My biggest concern right now is Contreras who clearly lost this game for us today. 7 runs through 3 innings??? Not good. Maybe 1 is on Swish/TCQ, but what happened Jose? Are you like a woman in that your emotions and performance sway with the wind? Sorry women, you are not that bad, but Jose apparently is. Am I in the minority to think that this guy gets 1 more start and then there needs to be another plan, absent a good showing?

Jollyroger2
07-13-2008, 06:38 PM
And they are off and running on the postgame show.

The offense produces 22 hits and 11 runs....and the "lack of hitting" is the reason we lost today in people's eyes? :rolleyes:

Nah it couldn't be the bum of a starter who had another crapola showing...or the allegedly awesome bullpen that allowed five runs in Texas's last two innings...

ArkanSox
07-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Contreras is only 29.
ERA last six games?

See, I have a sense of humor.

I think it's time for me to mosey on down to the old bar.

Good first half, Sox fans. Let's really enjoy this season.

Peace, love, dove,
ArkanSox

And kudos to the Tigers for salvaging one against the Twins

Agreed, and a real interesting play happened today. 1st base ump called a Tiger safe by saying Morneau had his foot off the bag. Replays showed he clearly didn't.

The next guy up hits a two run homer. Gardenhire goes nuts.

Not that I care, but the Twins fans are probably more cranky than we are at the moment.

But big picture, I did not expect the White Sox in 1st place at the All Star break. I thought they'd hang around and be in the thick of it, but they're in 1st place and that ain't all bad.

kevingrt
I can take the loss today. It sucked, but this All Star break is much needed for this team. Hopefully we can tee off on KC next week in a hot Cell. Everyone needs a break. And we need a 2005 Brandon McCarthy to appear so he can pitch lights out in September and hold this rotation together till October.

fquaye149
How is this attitude "pathetic"? Say Thome drove in the winning runs in the 9th. Would this thread title have been the same as it is?

Probably not, as Paulie's inability to not **** his pants wouldn't have contributed to a loss, it would have been something the team overcame in winning the game

No where have I said that Konerko is not culpable in this loss. He sucked. He sucked big time. But his suckitude doesn't give other players a free pass.

Ah. I must have missed the posts where someone said "Everyone did everything perfectly today except for Konerko."

Konerko (with the exception, perhaps of Contreras) failed the most miserably of anyone on the field today. This was a close game. An incredibly close game. And Konerko failed much more than any other hitter on the team. In a close game.

If you don't understand why that's going to earn a "goat" tag for that player, then I don't know what to tell you. Must be all dem bad fands eager ta scapegoat a guy who went 0-6 with 9 LOB in a close game. Couldn't possibly be the fact that the guy who's been lousy for us all year, who we're (mostly) all frustrated with, who went 0-6 with 9 LOB, including 2 LOB in the 9th with the tying run on second to end the game, couldn't possibly be the fact that he is one of the biggest ****ing reasons we lost the game. Couldn't be that. Must be "bad fans", jabrch.

Oh, and he swung at ball 4 and took strike 3 to end the game. But must be the bad fans.

voodoochile
07-13-2008, 06:40 PM

Yes which is why I plan to skip the talent portion and go straight to the bikini lineup... er...or something like that...:tongue:

PeoriaSoxFan
I don't mean to make excuses, but have we ever played well in Texas? I know the Reinsdorf owned Bulls haven't. So, let's blame it on him.

KyWhiSoxFan
The good news is the Sox are in first place and I like their schedule to begin the post-All Star break. They get KC and Texas at home to start, and then go on the road to Det and MN. There's no reason to think they can't gain some good ground on everyone in their division over those 13 games. And better yet, they also KC for three and then get Det at home for three. I wouldn't trade places with any team in the division.

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Probably not, as Paulie's inability to not **** his pants wouldn't have contributed to a loss, it would have been something the team overcame in winning the game

Ah. I must have missed the posts where someone said "Everyone did everything perfectly today except for Konerko."

Konerko (with the exception, perhaps of Contreras) failed the most miserably of anyone on the field today. This was a close game. An incredibly close game. And Konerko failed much more than any other hitter on the team. In a close game.

If you don't understand why that's going to earn a "goat" tag for that player, then I don't know what to tell you. Must be all dem bad fands eager ta scapegoat a guy who went 0-6 with 9 LOB in a close game. Couldn't possibly be the fact that the guy who's been lousy for us all year, who we're (mostly) all frustrated with, who went 0-6 with 9 LOB, including 2 LOB in the 9th with the tying run on second to end the game, couldn't possibly be the fact that he is one of the biggest ****ing reasons we lost the game. Couldn't be that. Must be "bad fans", jabrch.

Oh, and he swung at ball 4 and took strike 3 to end the game. But must be the bad fans.

And he is one of the biggest reasons we won yesterday! Sheeesh...

fquaye149

Or, you know, win winnable games against lousy teams....

But yeah, it's mostly that they don't win the way people want them too :rolleyes:

fquaye149
And he is one of the biggest reasons we won yesterday! Sheeesh...

Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's he hitting on the year?

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's he hitting on the year?

I know he's struggling, but to take today and blow it up into something bigger than it is is just stupid. As would proclaiming he was back offensively after yesterday.

fquaye149
07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I know he's struggling, but to take today and blow it up into something bigger than it is is just stupid.

You're right. At least since he's come back, he's been flawless in the field to make up for his lousy bat

He **** the bed today. He **** the bed two days ago. He's been ****ting the bed all year.

Get him off the ****ing field until he gets his ****ing head out of his ****ing ass and snaps out of one of these 3 months long slumps he's prone to get into.

Konerko is ****ing brutal and although I wouldn't trade 2005 for anything in the world, the fact that people are acting like it's somehow "pathetic" to recognize a player who's hitting like a pile of **** as a player who's hitting like a pile of ****, is pretty ridiculous.

WORLD SERIES GRAND SLAM!
GAME BALL!
HE IS GOOD FOR 40 HR 100 RBI USUALLY!...sometimes...well a couple times....

itsnotrequired
07-13-2008, 06:46 PM

blah, blah, blah.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-13-2008, 06:46 PM
From your lips to God's ears. I just don't see it happening any time soon. We've been singing this "when Paulie turns it on again" song for 12 months now.

He was signed because of his bat. He has no speed. His glove is pretty good, but not the only good one we have in our system. This means he is being paid the GNP of a small country to get timely hits.

He has been consistently failing in this for quite a while. Every now and then he'll have a night like last night, but it only gives us false hope.

Maybe I'm just trying for the glass half full thing but Thome's coming around and he's got 5 years on PK. I do think it's good that Ozzie has come out saying that it can't go on indefinitely.

voodoochile
07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I know he's struggling, but to take today and blow it up into something bigger than it is is just stupid.

Since returning to the lineup PK is 6/24 .250 with a HR and 3 RBI. It's not perfect but it definitely shows he deserves a good long look to open the second half before going to a platoon.

Swish seems to be over his "can't hit and play CF at the same time" phase. With the exception of Ramirez (woohoo!) this was the expected starting 8 position players and DH. That expected team is in first place at the break. It's not broken, folks...

ms620
07-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Since returning to the lineup PK is 6/24 .250 with a HR and 3 RBI. It's not perfect but it definitely shows he deserves a good long look to open the second half before going to a platoon.

Swish seems to be over his "can't hit and play CF at the same time" phase. With the exception of Ramirez (woohoo!) this was the expected starting 8 position players and DH. That expected team is in first place at the break. It's not broken, folks...

Absolutely agree. I also think Pauly has looked better than his numbers would indicate. He is key for us in the second half. I will not give up on him yet. 2 or 3 more weeks of poor play, and then I agree we need to look for other options. Not right now. I am very confident that he will play well for the remainder of the season.

itsnotrequired
07-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't want to necessarily argue your point. It's valid. BUT..I've watched every single game this year. Every one of them. PK's batting average has been diving since 2005. He's batting about .220 right now. He's committing errors he never did before this year. I've grown tired of all this talk about him snapping out of it. Sorry, but I don't see that happening.

His average in 2006 was higher than in 2005.

Keep hating the good hate.

KyWhiSoxFan
I agree with those who say the Sox need to seriously look at Contreras and see if there are any alternatives. Maybe Broadway should get a start and they can put Contreras in the pen again.

After two good months to start the season, Conreras's ERA in June was 6.83 and his ERA in July is 6.17. His age is showing, and I'm afraid that continued use will only wear him down even more as the season progresses.

That he will get about 11 days off before his next start will help, and if he can't pitch well in that game, then Katy bar the door.

BeviBall!
Anyone see Mackowiak was back in CF today?

voodoochile
07-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Don't want to necessarily argue your point. It's valid. BUT..I've watched every single game this year. Every one of them. PK's batting average has been diving since 2005. He's batting about .220 right now. He's committing errors he never did before this year. I've grown tired of all this talk about him snapping out of it. Sorry, but I don't see that happening.

He hit .313 in 2006! It was his single best season as a pro. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant though...

cheezheadsoxfan
07-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Anyone see Mackowiak was back in CF today?

Good lord, why?

SoxSpeed22
07-13-2008, 07:07 PM
The Sox really had no business being in this game with the way Jose and co. (not Masset) pitched and with the terrible defense. The break can't come soon enough.

Cuck the Fubs
:?: Wow, I see the slay Paulie mob is out in full force today eh? :scratch:

Tell ya who needs to be hunted with pitchforks is Jose.

I'd rather see him go than Paulie.

1st half complete, mission half accomplished.

Take the break to get recharged for the second half, and complete the first step, which is winning the division.

We won't win the division without Paulie picking it up, and I honestly think he will.

0 for 6 did not help our cause, but for god sake we put up 11 runs with twenty some odd hits....that should be more than enough for the win.

Don't you guys hang this one on Konerko, look directly at Jose and the rest of the staff today for this one.

I also agree that these guys really need the break right now, some of them look a little "dead".

That said, enjoy the homer run derby and the all star game, your freinds & your family.

Get rested up for a second half of fun!

EdHerman12
:contreras:<-----------please.....put this dude out of his misery....

Cuck the Fubs
07-13-2008, 07:08 PM
He hit .313 in 2006! It was his single best season as a pro. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant though...

* waves jedi hand * 2006 never happened...this isn't the Konerko you're looking for....:tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 07:13 PM
:?: Wow, I see the slay Paulie mob is out in full force today eh? :scratch:

Tell ya who needs to be hunted with pitchforks is Jose.

I'd rather see him go than Paulie.

1st half complete, mission half accomplished.

Take the break to get recharged for the second half, and complete the first step, which is winning the division.

We won't win the division without Paulie picking it up, and I honestly think he will.

0 for 6 did not help our cause, but for god sake we put up 11 runs with twenty some odd hits....that should be more than enough for the win.

Don't you guys hang this one on Konerko, look directly at Jose and the rest of the staff today for this one.

I also agree that these guys really need the break right now, some of them look a little "dead".

That said, enjoy the homer run derby and the all star game, your freinds & your family.

Get rested up for a second half of fun!

More than 1/2 way there. 94 games done, one in progress and 67 games left! (I hope I did the math right)

It's Time
07-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Did you guys hear Ozzie's rant after the game?

"That was the worst game I have ever seen in my 27 years. Fifty hits, one hundred base runners, both teams (Pitchers) should be embarrassed. If they're not, they need to look in the mirror".:D:

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 07:15 PM

"That was the worst game I have ever seen in my 27 years. Fifty hits, one hundred base runners, both teams (Pitchers) should be embarrassed. If they're not, they need to look in the mirror".:D:

And you know he would say the same thing even if the Sox won. Wow... Texas did strand only 1 less baserunner than the Sox. and in one less inning.

doublem23
07-13-2008, 07:18 PM

I hope Contreras gets the message... He needs to pull his **** together, we need him to turn over the rotation. I don't know where you expect to find another starter but it won't come at a price we'll be able to pay (and no, Lance Broadway is not the solution).

Anyways, damn, it was a real fun first half... Too bad, Thome and Konerko up and just needing 1 hit to keep this one alive.

It's going to be a long week. :D:

Tragg
07-13-2008, 07:18 PM

Was commentary on the quality of managing and coaching included in today's rant?

It's Time
07-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Was commentary on the quality of managing and coaching included in today's rant?

Not mentioned. :D: Seriously though, it was classic Ozzie.

A.T. Money
07-13-2008, 07:23 PM

That was 3 yrs ago, chief.

PhillipsBubba
Gee Willakers, Guys...we got 22 hits not to mention all the ones "we just missed".

Golly gee we don't need anything...this team has everything in place to go all the way...

Holy Moly...lets go get'em after the all star break...and by the way....Paulie has done so much for us as a team, city and nation...so lets all get behind him...who's up for sending him a greeting card filled with encouraging platitudes???

Let's all go to Jose's house and sing songs to him from the street...he'll feel better real soon...I'm sure he misses Pablo...the sudden loss of a friend can really take it's toll.
I'm going to the kitchen to make another pitcher of Kool Aid...:bandance:

roylestillman
http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/e_zine/angry_villagers2.jpg

Somebody close the gate!

It's Time
07-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I hope Contreras gets the message... He needs to pull his **** together, we need him to turn over the rotation. I don't know where you expect to find another starter but it won't come at a price we'll be able to pay (and no, Lance Broadway is not the solution).

Anyways, damn, it was a real fun first half... Too bad, Thome and Konerko up and just needing 1 hit to keep this one alive.

It's going to be a long week. :D:

JC, IMO, needs to go. If not, I would have no problem with him being demoted to the pen.

veeter
07-13-2008, 07:28 PM
That's not even baseball they play down there. Yes, Paulie was lame, but JD blew at least two easy chances a the plate. That KC/ Texas trip just looked bad on the schedule and coming home 3-3, I'm happy. Danks just proved how freakin' awesome he is, yesterday. Again, that park, infield, and air are a joke down there. Let's rest up and kick some second-half ass.

It's Time
07-13-2008, 07:28 PM
That was 3 yrs ago, chief.

Thanks for telling me that, Indian. I had no idea. The poster called Paulie the biggest disappointment he has EVER SEEN.

GMAB! He's had a bad 1st half but to make idiotic statements like that are just, well, idiotic.

doublem23
07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for telling me that, Indian. I had no idea. The poster called Paulie the biggest disappointment he has EVER SEEN.

GMAB! He's had a bad 1st half but to make idiotic statements like that are just, well, idiotic.

We're agreeing too much in this thread. If you want to call Konerko "washed up," "over the hill," or just plain "****ty right now," OK that's fine, I'm not going to argue. But biggest dissapointment ever? Joe Borchard anyone? How about Jeremy Reed? Scott Ruffcorn.

I figure Sox fans would be plenty familiar with dissapointment by now to know it.

veeter
07-13-2008, 07:35 PM
In fairness to Paulie, Thome has looked "through" a few times. And now he looks terrific. As much as I wanted Paulie to stay in Charlotte for a few more weeks, let's face it, he's playing. Just so Ozzie finds ways to get BA and Wise on the field sometimes, I'll take it. But at the very least, 8th inning on, BA in center and Swish at first.

doublem23
07-13-2008, 07:35 PM
JC, IMO, needs to go. If not, I would have no problem with him being demoted to the pen.

I don't know where your going to find another pitcher right now. What options would the Sox have if they moved The Count out of the rotation? 4-man rotation? Promote Broadway/Richard? Loaiza? I don't know if there's anyone available to nab in a trade, but I also don't think we have the pieces in the minors to pick up another quality arm.

I think our best bet is to ride out this season with Jose and hope he can man up.

veeter
07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Biggest disappointment ever?....game 4 1983 ALCS. Paulie's a very good player on the down side.

Over By There
07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
You're right. At least since he's come back, he's been flawless in the field to make up for his lousy bat

He **** the bed today. He **** the bed two days ago. He's been ****ting the bed all year.

Get him off the ****ing field until he gets his ****ing head out of his ****ing ass and snaps out of one of these 3 months long slumps he's prone to get into.

Konerko is ****ing brutal and although I wouldn't trade 2005 for anything in the world, the fact that people are acting like it's somehow "pathetic" to recognize a player who's hitting like a pile of **** as a player who's hitting like a pile of ****, is pretty ridiculous.

WORLD SERIES GRAND SLAM!
GAME BALL!
HE IS GOOD FOR 40 HR 100 RBI USUALLY!...sometimes...well a couple times....

I think I would've missed the point of your post if it wasn't for all the helpful ****s.

ms620
07-13-2008, 07:43 PM
In fairness to Paulie, Thome has looked "through" a few times. And now he looks terrific. As much as I wanted Paulie to stay in Charlotte for a few more weeks, let's face it, he's playing. Just so Ozzie finds ways to get BA and Wise on the field sometimes, I'll take it. But at the very least, 8th inning on, BA in center and Swish at first.

Totally agree. Its a bit too early to claim that PK is done. Jose on the other hand...I am much more concerned with him.

It's Time
07-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't know where your going to find another pitcher right now. What options would the Sox have if they moved The Count out of the rotation? 4-man rotation? Promote Broadway/Richard? Loaiza? I don't know if there's anyone available to nab in a trade, but I also don't think we have the pieces in the minors to pick up another quality arm.

I think our best bet is to ride out this season with Jose and hope he can man up.

I was thinking the trade route, but as you said, I don't know what KW could put together to make a deal.

I just would not trust JC in any big game come crunch time. He's been getting shelled for well over a month now.

Boondock Saint
07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
*looks up at the sky*

Yep. Looks like FAIR-WEATHER to me.

Some of the bitching in these postgame threads is just beyond ****ing stupid and irritating.

:threadsucks

PeoriaSoxFan
07-13-2008, 07:58 PM
:gulp:Let's end this thread on a positive. We are in first place; it is the All-Star break. You can put it on the board,......Yeeeaassssss!:bandance:

Lip Man 1
07-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Double:

I think there may be some guys out there who could be worth a look. I'm thinking Pittsburgh, San Diego (Maddux anyone?), San Francisco for example.

Lip

Blueprint1
07-13-2008, 08:14 PM
We scored enough runs to win this game. It's hard to blame Konerko for the loss on this one.

Tragg
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Totally agree. Its a bit too early to claim that PK is done. Jose on the other hand...I am much more concerned with him.
I don't know if either's done. They both look sort of on the edge to me. Could teeter either way.
But we can cover a done PK easier than a done JC.

cwsfannick
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Thank God for the All Star Break. Bullpen needs the rest. Starters on this trip laid an egg other than Burly and Danks.

thomas35forever
07-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Know how long this game lasted? Long enough for me to watch it from three different locations in three different towns. Our players need a rest big time.

SoxSpeed22
07-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Judging by these posts, we need a rest too.

Vernam
07-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh, and he swung at ball 4 and took strike 3 to end the game. But must be the bad fans.I was maintaining pretty well until PK swung at that ****ty pitch and Hawk/DJ raved about what a gutsy toss it was by the pitcher. It was ****ing ball four! At the shoetops! And then when Konerko watched strike three split the plate . . . well, a man can only take so much. :angry:

Thome's called third strike was borderline at best, but the ump had missed a pitch earlier in the at-bat, calling a ball on what was clearly a strike. So Thome got burned on the makeup call, IMO. That's not making an excuse -- after the missed call, I said to my wife that he'd better be swinging if it's close. And yet . . . he didn't.

I'd hate to lose Masset in the 'pen, but giving him a shot as fifth starter couldn't hurt. Jose got his mind right last year after getting sent to the 'pen. Could happen again.

Vernam

stl_sox_fan
07-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Well crap. Had to leave in the 6th and set the dvr. It stopped recording with the score 12-11 and Thome up. Was hoping for some good news from the internet. Not so much.
Score 11 runs and leave 13 on. Frustrating........
Enjoy the 4 days off everyone.

ondafarm
07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I guess I missed Ozzie's at bats today. How did he do? Did he leave eight men on?

He left the starting pitcher in to give up seven runs, that cost the game.

jabrch
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
We scored enough runs to win this game. It's hard to blame Konerko for the loss on this one.

It is easy to blame him. It is hard to be right.

alohafri
07-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I was maintaining pretty well until PK swung at that ****ty pitch and Hawk/DJ raved about what a gutsy toss it was by the pitcher. It was ****ing ball four! At the shoetops! And then when Konerko watched strike three split the plate . . . well, a man can only take so much. :angry:

To me, that is a guy who is pressing so hard he has no idea where the strike zone is anymore. I know he just came back from the DL, but mentally, I think the guy is fatigued. That error the other night (Thursday) on the sure double play, it looked like he short armed it. Mental mistake. Swinging at ball four that could only have been more obvious if it was a 58 footer, and watching strike three go by in the wheel house. Mental mistakes. Sounds like someone needs...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162007/photos/ent052.jpg

cws05champ
07-13-2008, 10:07 PM
My biggest concern right now is Contreras who clearly lost this game for us today. 7 runs through 3 innings??? Not good. Maybe 1 is on Swish/TCQ, but what happened Jose? Are you like a woman in that your emotions and performance sway with the wind? Sorry women, you are not that bad, but Jose apparently is. Am I in the minority to think that this guy gets 1 more start and then there needs to be another plan, absent a good showing?
Well, Contreras really turned around last year after he was sent to the pen for a week or two last year. Maybe Contreras goes to the Pen, Russell goes down and Broadway comes up to start 2 games...

PaleHoser
07-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Biggest disappointment ever?....game 4 1983 ALCS.

Indeed!

I think the Sox keeping Loaiza around for rehab is a sign they're concerned about starting pitching. I'd be more comfortable bringing back Wilbur Wood than either Contreras or Loaiza.

soxstarter
07-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I agree with the posts which support the fact that many factors contributed to the loss today. No doubt that part of that involved Konerko.

However, I think we are going overboard when we talk about getting rid of Paulie.

Judging by the posts, this seems to have divided this board quite a bit. I have to admit, even Dump and I disagree on this one.....but I am ready to wait for PK to regain his full playing power, following the DL stint, before relegating him to trade, minor leagues, or retirement.

It was simply an ugly game. Here is to hoping that everything goes well for PK AND the rest of team beginning now.

kruzer31
07-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Life will go on. Yes Paulie struck out, but Quntin popped out, Thome struck out and then Konerko in the ninth. He just happend to be the last thing to remember. He will be fine. Jose is another story. His forkball hangs in every hitters wheelhouse

Jeff

MetroPD
07-13-2008, 11:45 PM
We should dump everyone, its clear this team isn't going any where-

Sincerely

Jerry R

StillMissOzzie
07-13-2008, 11:50 PM
He's a 5/10 player with low trade value. Won't happen.

Not to mention the $12M/yr for 2+ years that the Sox would have to con someone into taking even if PK were to give his consent to a trade.

I agree, this game was a team stinkfest. Some bad pitching, some bad defense, and in particular, some really bad situational hitting. PK's performance today was pretty indicative of the terrible situational hitting for most of the year. It's getting so when the Sox get men on 1st & 3rd and less than 2 outs, I'll turn to my son and ask, "How do you think they'll blow it this time?"

SMO
:angry:

JB98
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Konerko looks like he's guessing at the plate right now. He was guessing fastball on the 3-1 pitch from Wilson, and he waved at a bad breaking ball. He guessed Wilson would come back with a breaking ball on 3-2, and he took a fastball right down the pipe. Paul is confused at the plate, much like Thome was earlier in the year, swinging at balls and taking strikes.

I don't know what to say about Contreras. Everything is up, and I mean everything. He isn't going to get hitters out when he's up in the zone to every hitter.

At least we know Jose can still get it done. He was getting it done earlier in the year. Somehow, Coop needs to get him back to where he was about six weeks ago.

I disagree with posters who want KW to acquire another starting pitcher. The guys who are available are overpaid, injury-prone, aging or some combination of the three. It's just not worth it.

Lip, you seriously want KW to call the Pirates and ask for pitching? Pittsburgh is the worst team the Sox have played this season, bar none. That pitching staff was awful in that three-game series at the Cell.

Noneck
07-14-2008, 12:11 AM
It was a team loss. It was one of Contreras poorer outings and hope he has something left in the tank for the rest of the year.

They didn't give up and had a chance in the 9th. Quentin seemed to me that he was thinking going yard rather than doing what Dye did. Thome is a slugger, strikeouts are part of being a slugger. Konerko struggled all day but to strikeout LOOKING, on a full count with the go head runs on base is really kinda sad. If he took his cut and missed I would have said "Oh well" but looking at one, made me say "Thats a sad situation"

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2008, 12:16 AM
http://www.journerdism.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/broken-record.jpg

Anyone see Mackowiak was back in CF today?Why did you post this in the post-game thread? Or in the clubhouse, for that matter?

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 12:37 AM
I missed most of the game, but this is why I really dread the Rangers series. We get into ugly slugfests and it turns into a really sloppy baseball game.

The team really didn't play well this whole series.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Look around the league at road records for everyone. A .500 trip is fine., It's not jump for joy good, but it's fine.

They should be lucky to have a .500 road trip they way they played.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 12:49 AM
we are 1.5 games in first over a Twins team that has won 21 or their last 27 games.

That's an incredible streak but it won't last forever.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 12:53 AM
This and that:

1. Jose Contreras has issues, serious issues and it would behoove Kenny and Ozzie to take a long hard look at this situation over the break. The trade deadline is in 2 1/2 weeks, they may need to try to get a starting pitcher.

The rest of the league is trying to do the same thing.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree with those who say the Sox need to seriously look at Contreras and see if there are any alternatives.

They could have brought someone up just for today.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 01:02 AM

I guess he's never heard of Cedric Benson.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Thank God for the All Star Break. Bullpen needs the rest. Starters on this trip laid an egg other than Burly and Danks.

Maybe confidence went out the window since Jenks was not available.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 01:09 AM
We should dump everyone, its clear this team isn't going any where-

Sincerely

Jerry R

If they could get the Rangers to hit for them it would a force to be reckoned with.

LITTLE NELL
07-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Tribune answered my earlier question, 1st time in franchise history that the Sox had 22 hits and lost a game.

Iguana775
07-14-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm more upset in the pitching. 22 hits and 11 runs should be way more than enough to win. I guess Jose and the pen decided to start their AS break early.

ondafarm
07-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm more upset in the pitching. 22 hits and 11 runs should be way more than enough to win. I guess Jose and the pen decided to start their AS break early.

I'd say the management of the pitching. Their starter gave up 5 runs in 2 and 2/3rds of an inning and was yanked. Our starter gave up 6 runs in his first 2 and 2/3rds and was kept in there to give up another run.

Any manager who refuses to acknowledge that his starter doesn't have it that day and lets the game get out of hand isn't helping his team.

cws05champ
07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Konerko looks like he's guessing at the plate right now. He was guessing fastball on the 3-1 pitch from Wilson, and he waved at a bad breaking ball. He guessed Wilson would come back with a breaking ball on 3-2, and he took a fastball right down the pipe. Paul is confused at the plate, much like Thome was earlier in the year, swinging at balls and taking strikes.

I don't know what to say about Contreras. Everything is up, and I mean everything. He isn't going to get hitters out when he's up in the zone to every hitter.

With Konerko its all mental...he (as JB stated) is guessing up there sometimes instead of reacting. On 3-2 you expect a FB and fight off everything else. His batspeed is still there, but something is not right upstairs right now. The break could not come at a better time for him.

Contreras I think still has it but it's mental with him as well. Not a coincidence that he sucked the last two outings after Pablo was let go. Most will say that's stupid and a picther can't be that emotionally fragile, but it is what it is. I'm willing to give him a mulligan on this game because of the conditions(field speed and heat) and the lineup he was facing.

Hopefully our #5 pitcher can turn it around sometime in the 2nd half.

doublem23
07-14-2008, 08:22 AM

It doesn't matter. Contreras could have shut down Texas and thrown a complete game shut out and ODF would whine that "stupid Ozzie" let Jose walk Hamilton in the 4th inning.

EMel9281
07-14-2008, 08:24 AM
His batspeed is an issue. I saw a replay of one of his swings to show how he "uncorks" his bat as DJ called it. He is too coiled up with the barrel too far forward. He can't catch up to a fastball like that. The momentum of the bat is going forward, so it takes extra effort and speed to get it going in the right direction.

That being said, on a 3-2 count with the game on the line, neither Thome or Konerko had any business taking the third strike. That's just ridiculous!

Law11
07-14-2008, 08:29 AM

Yes his career has just been terrible..
Get a grip.

palehozenychicty
07-14-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't mean to make excuses, but have we ever played well in Texas? I know the Reinsdorf owned Bulls haven't. So, let's blame it on him.

Seriously. I don't know why people were expecting that much. These games in Texas are always sloppy and frightful to watch. I felt that if we could avoid a sweep in Arlington, then I'd be satisfied.

Anyhow, I'll drop by the Stadium tonight and snag a Home Run ball, if it doesn't rain too hard. :D:

cws05champ
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
His batspeed is an issue. I saw a replay of one of his swings to show how he "uncorks" his bat as DJ called it. He is too coiled up with the barrel too far forward. He can't catch up to a fastball like that. The momentum of the bat is going forward, so it takes extra effort and speed to get it going in the right direction.

That being said, on a 3-2 count with the game on the line, neither Thome or Konerko had any business taking the third strike. That's just ridiculous!
He caught up with a fastball pretty well on Saturday for his HR. Did his batspeed decrease from Saturday to Sunday?

jabrch
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
He caught up with a fastball pretty well on Saturday for his HR. Did his batspeed decrease from Saturday to Sunday?

Same with Thome - he couldn't hit a fastball in April or May because of his batspeed, according to WSI experts and douchenozzles who call into Rongey's show. Suddenly in June his bat speed is better? And in July, it is as good as it has been in 5 years? Bullcrap.

For cripes sake - lets give PK a month to see how he hits...

kittle42
07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I hear Rich Harden was available for Juan Uribe, Lance Broadway, Brain Anderson, and Brad Eldred. Teal only half-implied.

JB98
07-14-2008, 12:16 PM

I'm on your side in this debate.

The "bat speed" people are so full of **** their eyes are turning brown. Early in the year, I heard constantly that Thome could no longer hit a fastball. That was dead wrong. Jim was having trouble recognizing pitches. He was swinging at bad breaking balls and high fastballs, getting himself out. It had nothing to do with "aging" or " a slow bat."

Konerko's problem is similar. In addition, I think Paul is trying to make up for two months of struggles in one or two swings. He's trying to pull pitches that need to be taken to right field. The opposing pitchers are setting that trap for him, especially in RBI situations, and he's stepping in it.

There's no decline in physical skills with Konerko. It's all a head game for Paul right now, IMO.

ondafarm
07-14-2008, 12:25 PM
It doesn't matter. Contreras could have shut down Texas and thrown a complete game shut out and ODF would whine that "stupid Ozzie" let Jose walk Hamilton in the 4th inning.

That's funny. Not especially creative or relevant, but funny.

hawkjt
07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
First off, I thank the good lord that the Rangers are in the west. Can you imagine going down there two more times? yikes. Their team is set up to hit line drives and hard grounders that all become hits. Sox hit many more pop flies that make the warning track. It is close to the Dome as the most home field advantageous track in the league.

I still have some faith in Jose, and do think PK will get it going.
Jose needs the break, but he reieterated today that his arm is fine, which is a good place to start. I did not see him top 90mph yesterday...maybe 92 once or twice but I think his fastball lacked the normal pop he had earlier in the year. So, with rest, that could come back. And of course he needs better command of his offspeed pitches which could also be due to a fatigued but not injured arm.

Looking forward to the rest of july as I think the sox will make some hay and the twins just have to start losing some games...their bullpen is shaky without the sidearmer.

NSFWSoxFan
07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Question about catchers from yesterday - If the Sox had managed to tie or go ahead in the 9th, who was going out to catch in the bottom of the inning after Anderson had pinch run for Hall? I'm not sure I understand what the importance of that particular run was that Ozzie had to pull Hall at that point in the game.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Konerko started his career as a catcher and Uribe supposedly has some experience.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Question about catchers from yesterday - If the Sox had managed to tie or go ahead in the 9th, who was going out to catch in the bottom of the inning after Anderson had pinch run for Hall? We'll never know.

I suspect that AJ told Ozzie he could go for the bottom of the ninth if needed.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Question about catchers from yesterday - If the Sox had managed to tie or go ahead in the 9th, who was going out to catch in the bottom of the inning after Anderson had pinch run for Hall? I'm not sure I understand what the importance of that particular run was that Ozzie had to pull Hall at that point in the game.

My guess--and this is pure speculation on my part--is Ozzie would have put Konerko, who started his career at catcher, behind the plate, hoping he would get injured and have to go on the DL for awhile.

voodoochile
07-14-2008, 05:19 PM
My guess--and this is pure speculation on my part--is Ozzie would have put Konerko, who started his career at catcher, behind the plate, hoping he would get injured and have to go on the DL for awhile.

Wow, that was almost worth a small smile... no I guess not...

JB98
07-14-2008, 05:31 PM

I was surprised he pinch-ran too. But if the game had been tied or had the Sox gone ahead, I assume Pierzynski would have played.

WhiteSoxBlog
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
It was very disappointing to see him go 0-6. He undid any improvement he had to his AVG the previous day, that's for sure. But the rest of the guys picked up the slack offensively.

Defensively... that's another issue. I think the only good play was by Uribe on third when he made that Joe Crede-style dive. The just let everything get by. Couldn't get to anything in the outfield all day. Either that ballpark is a Bermuda triangle for balls or everyone was too tired from running the bases to bother hustling after a ball.