PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings (Sox #1!)

soxpride724
05-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Check out the new power ranknings from ESPN. We moved up to number 4 from 14 last week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking

soxfan21
05-26-2008, 09:44 AM
I still don't think that the cubs should be at #1 if they can't win a road series.

delben91
05-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Power rankings are nice, but these (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp) are the only power rankings that matter to me.

fquaye149
05-26-2008, 10:03 AM
^^^classic wsi

Thank god there are people here to remind us that the power rankings don't determine a championship.

to the OP: Nice to see the White Sox getting some respect....I'm a little surprised at that high a ranking, but I think it's cuz we had won 7 in a row when it came out.

gogosox16
05-26-2008, 10:05 AM
^^^classic wsi

Thank god there are people here to remind us that the power rankings don't determine a championship.

to the OP: Nice to see the White Sox getting some respect....I'm a little surprised at that high a ranking, but I think it's cuz we had won 7 in a row when it came out.
They don't?!?!? Thank god, cause I was getting dissapointed that they Cubs already won the world series this year.:tongue:

soxpride724
05-26-2008, 10:22 AM
^^^classic wsi

Oh I know power rankings don't mean ****. It is just nice to see the so called "experts" give us a nod here and there.

fquaye149
05-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Oh I know power rankings don't mean ****. It is just nice to see the so called "experts" give us a nod here and there.

I'm with you! :bandance:

cws05champ
05-26-2008, 10:56 AM
^^^classic wsi

Yea...it's hard to beleive they are still at the top of the AL central, considering they do almost nothing well. - Carl Ravich

ChiSoxFan7
05-26-2008, 11:03 AM
all that deserves is one drink:gulp:

nothing more nothing less.

hopefully they get another streak going cuz then its time to:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

MHOUSE
05-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Glad to see the Sox getting some props, even if it is from the chumps @ ESPN. I think their 1-15 is pretty accurate, but towards the bottom I had a few issues. The Pirates aren't better than most of the teams below them and neither is Texas minus Josh Hamilton.

turners56
05-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Check out the new power ranknings from ESPN. We moved up to number 4 from 14 last week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking

An 8 game winning streak can do that for you.

kobo
07-11-2008, 02:10 PM
To echo this sentiment, look who is #1 heading into the All Star Break. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking

cards press box
07-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Yea...it's hard to beleive they are still at the top of the AL central, considering they do almost nothing well. - Carl Ravich

Wow, did Karl Ravech really say this? What was the context of the statement?

KenBerryGrab
07-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Wow, did Karl Ravech really say this? What was the context of the statement?

His toupee was itchy.

whitesox901
07-11-2008, 02:37 PM

:D: It does make you feal so much better about your team

nedlug
07-11-2008, 05:33 PM
You could easily make a case for the Angels and Rays to be #1. If the Cubs could win on the road, it would be 4 teams.

Rockabilly
07-12-2008, 09:44 PM
According to ESPN rankings

It about time.....

Rdy2PlayBall
07-13-2008, 01:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking :redneck

Who would have expected that our Chicago White Sox could be so high on this list when no one expected this team to make the play-offs?! xD I know the season isn't over but were not the only people in the U.S.A. that believe in our White Sox! :cool:

----------------------------------
You guys think this is right? Tampa Bay is falling appart recently and we havn't played the Red Sox to find out whos better. :o:

whitesox901
07-13-2008, 03:30 AM
maybe he lost a bet...

Scottiehaswheels
07-13-2008, 03:36 AM
This has to be the result of Phil Rogers on drugs.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-13-2008, 11:15 AM
... you think the Sox are that bad? :o:

jabrch
07-13-2008, 11:30 AM
I still don't put much value to ESPN Power Rankings...and I'd disagree that we are #1. I'd put us #3 behind Boston and the Cubs.

That said, it is awesome to see #1 and #3 from Chicago.

Dick Allen
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I still don't put much value to ESPN Power Rankings...and I'd disagree that we are #1. I'd put us #3 behind Boston and the Cubs.

That said, it is awesome to see #1 and #3 from Chicago.Well, you're half right.

jabrch
07-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, you're half right.

Dick -I had a blast in 2005. I can only imagine how fun it would be if we had BOTH Chicago teams in it. I know the folks who get all riled up over the media would be pooping themselves all month about the lack of attention. But I'd LOVE to see it.

MarySwiss
07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Dick -I had a blast in 2005. I can only imagine how fun it would be if we had BOTH Chicago teams in it. I know the folks who get all riled up over the media would be pooping themselves all month about the lack of attention. But I'd LOVE to see it.

Only if we won, preferably by a sweep. I don't think my marriage could survive a close series. And if--God forbid!--the Cubs won, I'd probably have to kill him and bury his body way out in the desert somewhere.

jabrch
07-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Only if we won, preferably by a sweep. I don't think my marriage could survive a close series. And if--God forbid!--the Cubs won, I'd probably have to kill him and bury his body way out in the desert somewhere.

Can you imagine it?

Just think about an October with both teams in it.

Think about the DS and the CS as people talk about the WhatIFs? Imagine the futures market on tickets? Imagine the fans? Imagine the media? Sports Talk Radio?

Imagine your friend/spouse/parent/coworker...

What if both teams win round one - and the Sox play Boston while the Cubs play the Mets or Phils? Picture it...

This town would be INSANE...

Now picture clinch day...both teams lock down WS spots... I couldn't imagine the 2 weeks ahead....

Just think about it...

MarySwiss
07-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Can you imagine it?

Just think about an October with both teams in it.

Think about the DS and the CS as people talk about the WhatIFs? Imagine the futures market on tickets? Imagine the fans? Imagine the media? Sports Talk Radio?

Imagine your friend/spouse/parent/coworker...

What if both teams win round one - and the Sox play Boston while the Cubs play the Mets or Phils? Picture it...

This town would be INSANE...

Now picture clinch day...both teams lock down WS spots... I couldn't imagine the 2 weeks ahead....

Just think about it...
I was joking about killing MrMarySwiss, but as someone pointed out in another thread recently, people would almost certainly get killed during a Cubs/Sox World Series. Not at the games, but at bars, house parties, etc. And guess which team's fans would most likely get most of the blame for any fights that broke out?

A. Cavatica
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM

That said, it is awesome to see #1 and #3 from Chicago.

I don't think you should put us behind the Cubs. They play in the NL. Look at the standings -- there are no other good teams in the entire NL.

I wish we could play Boston now, while they're banged up...once they get Ortiz and others back, they'll be really tough.

downstairs
07-13-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't think you should put us behind the Cubs. They play in the NL. Look at the standings -- there are no other good teams in the entire NL.

I wish we could play Boston now, while they're banged up...once they get Ortiz and others back, they'll be really tough.

I would put us behind Tampa. So what- they lost 4 straight. Everyone does. They're still the strongest team in the MLB.

However- they really ought to split these up NL and AL. How can you say the Cubs or Phillies are stronger than the BoSox? Its not that I disagree- I just think its impossible to analyze. The one thing you may be able to look at is interleague records. The Phils are 4-11, Cubs 6-9.

Interesting note: I just looked up everyone's interleague records to get this info. Only *one* NL team has a winning record against the AL (Cin)... one!

doublem23
07-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Interesting note: I just looked up everyone's interleague records to get this info. Only *one* NL team has a winning record against the AL (Cin)... one!

Exactly... The top 4 teams in baseball are the Rays, Red Sox, White Sox, and Angels. Anyone who thinks an NL team deserves to even sniff the top spot in these "power rankings" is just ignoring the way the American League dominated the National League again.

jabrch
07-13-2008, 12:39 PM

I know what you are saying - but that offense still looks damn good to me.

If Soriano comes back healthy, Harden is healthy, and Marmol/Wood are OK, they will be tough.

That said, JABRCH Power Rankings are worth no more than ESPN's are. It's all a matter of opinion, and it means nothing when it comes time to play the games.

NDSox12
07-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Only one NL team has a winning record against the AL all-time or this season? The Mets and Braves both had winning records in interleague play this year too, not that this diminishes your point in any way.

Jerko
07-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Cubs have played 26 games so far against teams that currently have a winning record. (9 of those were against the Sox and Tampa). So, here at the All Star break, the Cubs have played 17 national league games against teams that currently are .500 or better. They also had a streak of 39 games in a row from May 5 thru June 15 against teams currently under .500. Yeah, you're supposed to beat those teams, and some of them MIGHT have been over .500 at the time they played, but as of now, they've played nothing but garbage. They play 34 games in the 2nd half against teams currently .500 or better, including the last 13 in a row. We'll see if it evens out or not.

The Sox on the other hand have played 53 games so far against teams .500 or better (admittedly the Tigers are right AT .500), and have 39 left. So, out of 162 games, Cubs are on pace to play 60 games ALL YEAR against teams that are CURRENTLY .500 or better, the Sox, 92.

Yes the Cubs are a decent team, but my god it's almost criminal how lousy the national league is. We'll see how things go in the playoffs. If they win it all, they win it all; but their record, IMO, is inflated because of how bad the NL is.

Iwritecode
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Rockford's version of the moron chimes in. (http://www.rrstar.com/sports/quickshots/x1768845327/Harden-addition-again-makes-Cubs-the-team-to-beat)

Supposedly this great honor placed upon us by ESPN is supposed to quiet us "whiny" fans and make up for Danks not being picked for the AS game.

Then he goes on to say that Danks shouldn't be an AS anyway because his W/L record isn't good enough.

Because as we all know, using W/L stats is the best way to judge how good a pitcher is... :rolleyes:

oeo
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Rockford's version of the moron chimes in. (http://www.rrstar.com/sports/quickshots/x1768845327/Harden-addition-again-makes-Cubs-the-team-to-beat)

Supposedly this great honor placed upon us by ESPN is supposed to quiet us "whiny" fans and make up for Danks not being picked for the AS game.

Then he goes on to say that Danks shouldn't be an AS anyway because his W/L record isn't good enough.

Because as we all know, using W/L stats is the best way to judge how good a pitcher is... :rolleyes:

Can they put a bigger picture of him on there? I can't see it.

cws05champ
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM

What a Tool..... And he also said that Gavin Floyd's ERA ( 3.63) was not All-Star worthy. Guess what moron, when the selections were made Gavin was 10-4 with a 3.22 ERA. Oh, and Kazmir goes to the ASG who is 7-5, not a stellar win % either.