PDA

View Full Version : Wood out of the All-Star Game

thomas35forever
07-12-2008, 10:22 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080712&content_id=3121464&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp
Blister on his right index finger. Was it worth seven All-Stars, Cubs fans?

Cuck the Fubs
07-12-2008, 11:08 PM
BA will lay his hands upon Kerry and heal thy blister! :redneck

Johnnydogs
07-12-2008, 11:35 PM
FYI, fans don't choose the pitchers on the teams. I think he was voted in by the players.

southside rocks
07-13-2008, 08:09 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080712&content_id=3121464&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp

I don't understand -- was what worth it? He didn't get the blister playing in the ASG, he's apparently had it for a while and they're going to give him a week off to see if it will heal.

I am no fan of Kerry Wood, but I have been impressed by his work in the closer role this year. As we've seen with the Sox bullpen in the absence of Jenks, closing is not an easy task in general.

TornLabrum
07-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Huh?

Tragg
07-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Best of both worlds - get the all stars, but don't have to wear them out in the game.

hose
07-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Carry Woods----the master of the 4 run save.

Cuck the Fubs
07-13-2008, 10:01 AM
What's not being disclosed by the Cubs is that Wood got the blister from countless clicks on his mouse voting for JD!

PatK
07-13-2008, 10:38 AM
And so it begins.

By August, that blister will have manifested itself as a shoulder strain

07-13-2008, 11:18 AM
And so it begins.

By August, that blister will have manifested itself as a shoulder strain

I was just going to respond with something to this extent.:smile:

illini81887
07-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Carlos Marmol to replace him

CHISOXFAN13
07-13-2008, 12:26 PM

A 4.13 ERA is now worthy of a trip to the ASG.

This is bordering on insane.

Demafrost
07-13-2008, 12:32 PM
A 4.13 ERA is now worthy of a trip to the ASG.

This is bordering on insane.

This is one of the worst selections of all time. A setup guy with a 4.13 ERA (ERA over 9 since June 1) on a team with 7 other all stars gets selected. I watched that ninth inning yesterday. He either has a dead arm or he has completely lost his confidence as his pitches had nothing on them. Needless to say, if Hurdle is even thinking about using him, the White Sox chance to host game 1 of the World Series just got a little better.

TDog
07-13-2008, 12:43 PM
This is one of the worst selections of all time. A setup guy with a 4.13 ERA (ERA over 9 since June 1) on a team with 7 other all stars gets selected. I watched that ninth inning yesterday. He either has a dead arm or he has completely lost his confidence as his pitches had nothing on them. Needless to say, if Hurdle is even thinking about using him, the White Sox chance to host game 1 of the World Series just got a little better.

I'm sure there are National League pitchers more deserving. It's possible that the decision was political in nature, replacing a Cub with a Cub. It also is possible that Marmol was was the runner up in player voting to Wood. (I thought I read that Wood was voted in by the players, anyway.)

It also is true that if you take away the eight earned runs in four innings against the often weak-hitting Giants (not just a bad outing, but a record that spans three appearances in two cities), Marmol's ERA is 2.92.

jabrch
07-13-2008, 12:54 PM

You can't be serious....

illini81887
07-13-2008, 01:01 PM
The reasoning is Hurdle has marmol because he had the most player votes of someone not voted on

MrX
07-13-2008, 01:02 PM
From espn.com

COPYRIGHTED TEXT

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/news/story?id=3484802

JermaineDye05
07-13-2008, 01:25 PM
You can't be serious....

It seems like they're giving away selections like candy. Except for JD and Danks of course.

Carlos Marmol gets picked and one of the best pitching staffs in the majors doesn't even get a pitcher? For a while there I was defending the national league allstar team saying they made good picks, but this is just insane.

JermaineDye05
07-13-2008, 01:26 PM
From espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/news/story?id=3484802

Carlos Marmol, THE lovable loser of the year.

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 01:30 PM

They must have missed his ninth inning yesterday.

ilsox7
07-13-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't think this is good for Marmol. I've watched him pitch quite a bit lately and I think the best thing for him right now is to forget about baseball for a few days. With the farce the All-Star game has become, I am happy the Sox pitchers did not make it. There is too much good to come out of a few days off and a chip on their shoulder.

TDog
07-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think this is good for Marmol. I've watched him pitch quite a bit lately and I think the best thing for him right now is to forget about baseball for a few days. With the farce the All-Star game has become, I am happy the Sox pitchers did not make it. There is too much good to come out of a few days off and a chip on their shoulder.

This is what I was thinking. I haven't seen Marmol pitch, except in a couple of games against the Giants and in the game where he gave up the home run to Quentin, but mental attitude can play such a big role in pitching that it might be better for him to just forget about baseball for a couple of days.

Sometimes, however, you see marginal all-stars (usually on the team because every team must be represented) inspired by the experience.

thomas35forever
07-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Perfect scenario: Crede hits the go-ahead homer off Marmol in the eighth inning.

Clearly, Hurdle has not seen Marmol's recent struggles, particularly in the last several days. If Marmol can be selected now, I guess Dotel can too.

soltrain21
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Speaking of Cubs All Stars - I'm watching the Cubs game right now (I don't have cable), and holy crap has Fukudome looked terrible at the plate lately.

tstrike2000
07-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Obviously, a lot of the selections are beyond ridiculous, but the player vote is almost as bad as the fan vote.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2008, 05:04 PM
I was hoping Cole Hamels would get the nod, but that would make too much sense.

chisoxmike
07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Speaking of Cubs All Stars - I'm watching the Cubs game right now (I don't have cable), and holy crap has Fukudome looked terrible at the plate lately.

He, along with Wood, now Marmol, and Sorinao don't deserve to be called All-Stars. Along with Crede.

Railsplitter
07-13-2008, 06:39 PM
:scratch:

chisoxmike
07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
:scratch:

It's just another magical moment for the 2008 World Series Champions!!!

:rolleyes:

Cuck the Fubs
07-13-2008, 07:14 PM
It's just another magical moment for the 2008 World Series Champions!!!

:rolleyes:

I don't know if any of you may have caught this interesting factiod on these 2008 Champs.

They posted I wanna say the top 5 win totals in Cubs franchise at the all star break, which the current team placed second on.

Here's the kicker none of the other previous high victory totals at the break has made the playoffs.

That would be pretty disturbing for me if I were a Cubs fan.....

veeter
07-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm glad most of our guys are going to rest. Let the cubs get worn out even more.

chisoxmike
07-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm glad most of our guys are going to rest. Let the cubs get worn out even more.

Word. Especially the Sox pitching staff, they need the four days off.

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't know if any of you may have caught this interesting factiod on these 2008 Champs.

They posted I wanna say the top 5 win totals in Cubs franchise at the all star break, which the current team placed second on.

Here's the kicker none of the other previous high victory totals at the break has made the playoffs.

Redundant

TDog
07-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't understand why this is causing so much grief at WSI. It isn't like a White Sox player was denied a spot on the All-Star team by Marmol.

If it's the fact that the Cubs placed another player on the team and you're jealous, consider that when I was out today, ESPN radio referred to this Cubs pitcher as "struggling."

FedEx227
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't understand why this is causing so much grief at WSI. It isn't like a White Sox player was denied a spot on the All-Star team by Marmol.

If it's the fact that the Cubs placed another player on the team and you're jealous, consider that when I was out today, ESPN radio referred to this Cubs pitcher as "struggling."

Because some of us are clinging to the last hope that the All Star Game won't be a complete sham. A part of me still thinks that when the injured shams get it, deserving players can occasionally get in. I'm stupid for having that hope, but I still do.

jonred
07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Obviously, a lot of the selections are beyond ridiculous, but the player vote is almost as bad as the fan vote.

Then who would you suggest votes for the all-star team?

jonred
07-13-2008, 10:07 PM

Yeah, winning games sucks...

Cuck the Fubs
07-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah, winning games sucks...

What good is winning games when the track record indicates they don't finish what they start? :scratch:

Every time they have had a strong showing by the all star break they have tanked...

I would say that's cause for concern, on top of that 100 year thing :tongue:

TDog
07-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Because some of us are clinging to the last hope that the All Star Game won't be a complete sham. A part of me still thinks that when the injured shams get it, deserving players can occasionally get in. I'm stupid for having that hope, but I still do.

I find that hard to believe. Marmol was runner up in the player vote. People used to complain that players didn't even vote on pitchers. When the players voted, Marmol was probably deserving. Fortunes of pitchers are so fluid that picking any relief pitcher has the potential to look bad. If Scott Linebrink had been replaced a relief pitcher who couldn't go, most of the country would be talking about what a crappy pitcher he has been lately, making him undeserving.

My original point still stands. if an undeserving pitcher from the Mets or Marlins was named as a replacement, it might justify one or two posts.

Iwritecode
07-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Then who would you suggest votes for the all-star team?

It's not the voting that's the problem. The AS game has always been a popularity contest and probably always will. It's the fact that the game "means something" that is wrong.

The game should go back to being strictly an exhibition and nothing more. Figure out some other way to deterimine home field advantage in the WS and some way to deal with a tie in the AS game (which the change doesn't solve at all).

TDog
07-14-2008, 01:15 PM
It's not the voting that's the problem. The AS game has always been a popularity contest and probably always will. It's the fact that the game "means something" that is wrong.

The game should go back to being strictly an exhibition and nothing more. Figure out some other way to deterimine home field advantage in the WS and some way to deal with a tie in the AS game (which the change doesn't solve at all).

If it's "just an exhibition," people wouldn't have gotten so worked up about the game ending in a tie in Milwaukee. It always meant bragging rights. I remember Dave Baum, when he had a politically slanted talk show on WIND, talking about how the National League would the All-Star Game as they always did because the National League was better. People were upset that Major League Baseball treated the All-Star Game like an exhibition by letting it end in a tie.

Money from the All-Star Game is designated to go toward the players' pension fund. That came out of the 1972 strike. The All-Star Game is important to the players. Giving the game some stakes that rarely mean much isn't a bad thing. It's arbitrary, but probably less arbitrary than alternating the homefield advantage. Most definitely it's less arbitrary and less capricious than giving the homefield advantage to the team with the best record.

I don't see what the big deal is.

Foulke You
07-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I thought the NL would pick another closer to replace Wood. The Reds closer Francisco Cordero seemed like a logical choice. Cordero has a 2.30 E.R.A. with 19 saves. Whatever, if Hurdle wants to put a struggling reliever on the team, let him. This enhances the AL's chances of winning the game.

soxfan13
07-14-2008, 02:27 PM
I thought the NL would pick another closer to replace Wood. The Reds closer Francisco Cordero seemed like a logical choice. Cordero has a 2.30 E.R.A. with 19 saves. Whatever, if Hurdle wants to put a struggling reliever on the team, let him. This enhances the AL's chances of winning the game.

My understanding is that it is not his choice.