PDA

View Full Version : *Official* AL Central Discussion

rustysurf83
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Alright,
It seems as there are countless twins/tigers/indians, win/lose/suck/rule threads so lets make a central location to talk about our rivals specifically during the game. If you are like me you watch tigers/twins games almost as religiously as you watch the Sox.
discuss.

rustysurf83
07-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Nathan closes out another one...I guess we will see whether that is a bad or good thing later this year. I personally fear DET much more than Minny right now, but they are making a strong case to make me change my decision.

Rdy2PlayBall
07-12-2008, 06:02 PM
The Twins won! :angry: Man, we better win today because I don't wana have to deal with the Sox only being a 0.5 game in first while the Twins can just win one more to be in first! :whiner:

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Nathan closes out another one...I guess we will see whether that is a bad or good thing later this year. I personally fear DET much more than Minny right now, but they are making a strong case to make me change my decision.
I don't see how you can be afraid of Detroit as without Magglio they appear to be very very beatable. But it seems like year after year when we're trying to get into the playoffs Minnesota is right there nipping at our heels and except for '05 they've always caught us and beat us. Let's hope that doesn't happen here.

Unless Magglio comes back soon and they get red hot, I think the Tigers are about done.

doublem23
07-12-2008, 06:26 PM
I personally fear DET much more than Minny right now, but they are making a strong case to make me change my decision.

Based on what? The Twins have proven this formula for them works, year in and year out. They're here to stay.

Detroit? They might float around .500 all year but they are no threat to win the division. Only 1 team left in the Central to worry about.

PeteWard
07-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I don't see how you can be afraid of Detroit as without Magglio they appear to be very very beatable. But it seems like year after year when we're trying to get into the playoffs Minnesota is right there nipping at our heels and except for '05 they've always caught us and beat us. Let's hope that doesn't happen here.

Unless Magglio comes back soon and they get red hot, I think the Tigers are about done.

He is scheduled to be back after the break isn't he? Just in time to catch us but miss the Twins.:angry:

Oblong
07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
If I were a Sox fan I would fear the Twins much more than the Tigers. For the Tigers to win the division a lot of things have to go right and that's sort of like worrying about getting struck by lightning or your plane crashing. Sheffield's done. Unless the team just cuts him, benches him, or puts him on the DL he's wasting a roster spot. After his black hole I think the regular lineup is ok and the defense is much improved after Guillen settled down at 3rd and Cabrera's learned 1B. Guillen had hemmoroids earlier this year, that's supposedly why he had troubles fielding.

However, the pitching is a house of cards. There's no real fifth starter. The 4th starter, Galarraga, has been pretty good but I can't expect it to last all year, it's not fair to the guy. The 3rd starter, Robertson, is right about average but taht's misleading because he seems to be either very good or very bad in his starts. The question when he pitches is whether we get the good Nate or the bad Nate. The 2nd starter is 43 years old. Pitching well the last few months but he's still 43. And I think the Ace, Verlander, is the most worked pitcher in the league so far. Bullpen is shaky. At best the pitching will keep them in games but the offense will have to come through. That's not a reliable formula.

The only other thing I can think of that would dramatically help the Tigers is a massive trade and I think we're done with that for awhile.

So there you have it. My Tiger summary for the second half.

If I'm a Sox fan I'd be worried about the Twins. They're good. Can they keep up the insane clutch hitting though?

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2008, 11:32 PM
I can't wait until those annoying piranhas have to play all their home game outdoors and on grass.

I too am most concerned about the Twins. What most concerns me is that the Sox have to play up there four times at the end of this month and three more times near the end of September. But the Twins are done with all their games at the Cell.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2008, 02:32 AM
If I'm a Sox fan I'd be worried about the Twins. They're good. Can they keep up the insane clutch hitting though?
The Sox have some pretty good clutch hitting as well. The bats have been coming alive recently! I think our pitching trumps their hitting anyways.
I can't wait until those annoying piranhas have to play all their home game outdoors and on grass.
Yep. That, and their not having the advantage of artificial climate control systems.

PeteWard
07-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Tiggers up 2-0 in the 2nd on an HR by ....some guy I never heard of.:D:

Optipessimism
07-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Based on what? The Twins have proven this formula for them works, year in and year out. They're here to stay.

Detroit? They might float around .500 all year but they are no threat to win the division. Only 1 team left in the Central to worry about.
I agree with this and would also like to add that with our first half offensive inconsistency, the Twins are the team that is almost tailor-made to take this division from us. If the Sox lose this division it will probably be because they can't play fundamentally sound baseball down the stretch, which is exactly what the Twins do best.

rustysurf83
07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
At least the Twins lost tonight...

areilly
07-13-2008, 10:19 PM

It's like Groundhog Day with them. Every year is supposed to be the year they're going to be buried by June because they lost Players X, Y and Z, and every year they're in it until the end, and usually on top. This is exactly the reason I refuse to count them out, especially since they actually keep winning.

Oh how I resent their continually successful ballclub.

TwinKess
07-14-2008, 09:56 AM

I too am most concerned about the Twins. What most concerns me is that the Sox have to play up there four times at the end of this month and three more times near the end of September. But the Twins are done with all their games at the Cell.

If anything being outdoors will improve the health of the Twins players. Bodies take a beating on that concrete surface, and some guys just can't handle it. Witness David Ortiz. As soon as he got out of Minnesota he went on a rampage.

Oblong
07-14-2008, 10:08 AM
He also went on a rampage because, according to the book Feeding the Monster, he no longer was told to "hit like a little bitch ".

PeteWard
07-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Tigers 6.5 out. Baltimore had them loaded with one out in the 9th but could only get one and lose to Detroit 6-5. But Jones looked pretty bad and that is good news.

Michstate45
07-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Tigers 6.5 out. Baltimore had them loaded with one out in the 9th but could only get one and lose to Detroit 6-5. But Jones looked pretty bad and that is good news.

That's a vintage Jones save.

oeo
07-17-2008, 09:23 PM

I just saw the highlights on BBTN. The Orioles looked like the Orioles were supposed to look this year. Tons of baserunning mistakes...just an ugly, ugly game from their end.

PeteWard
07-17-2008, 09:46 PM
I just saw the highlights on BBTN. The Orioles looked like the Orioles were supposed to look this year. Tons of baserunning mistakes...just an ugly, ugly game from their end.

I hope they have lost any fight they may have left in them by Aug 25 when the Sox go there for three plus the suspended game.