PDA

View Full Version : The Twins just don't lose

october23sp
07-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Yes they got swept against the redsox but they are takin care of the Tigers again today and its really starting to get on my nerves seeing a sub-par team playing world series worthy baseball.

rustysurf83
07-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Might want to recant that 6-5 Minny tying run at second. Mauer just made a key Defensive mistake, allowing a ball to get through and advance 2 runners into scoring position.

MarySwiss
07-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Sure they lose. In the first round of the playoffs. Like clockwork.
Let's make sure they don't get a chance to do it yet again.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Sure they lose. In the first round of the playoffs. Like clockwork.
Let's make sure they don't get a chance to do it yet again.
Meh, they can win the Wild Card and keep Boston out of the playoffs if they want, but let's make sure they're not winning the division.

As for the Twins, yes, they got swept by Boston, but I think Detroit sans Magglio is a very mediocre team and the Twins are at the least a good team. Good beats mediocre, simple as that.

doublem23
07-12-2008, 06:23 PM
The Tigers are done. The Twins are the only team in the division worth caring about any more.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 06:31 PM
The Tigers are done. The Twins are the only team in the division worth caring about any more.
Detroit has enough talent on their roster where they can go nuts and get red hot like Colorado did last year. But...I'm still more worried about Minnesota.

thomas35forever
07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Why is it that whenever we enter slumps, Minny goes on tears?:scratch:
This is why I hate them with a passion.

JB98
07-12-2008, 06:45 PM

No question.

Detroit = paper champions. They are the Manuel-era Sox reincarnated.

The Twins are going to be a thorn in our side from now until September. This is a two-team race, IMO.

doublem23
07-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Detroit has enough talent on their roster where they can go nuts and get red hot like Colorado did last year. But...I'm still more worried about Minnesota.

What the Rockies did last year was unprecedented. If that's the best scenario you can come up with to defend them, then I'd say we have nothing to worry about.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 07:02 PM
What the Rockies did last year was unprecedented. If that's the best scenario you can come up with to defend them, then I'd say we have nothing to worry about.
I'm just saying it's not outside the realm of possibility, they're on the back burner as far as I'm concerned, of course, but I thought they were dead in May and they came back. They might be officially dead a week after the ASB though.

Britt Burns
07-12-2008, 07:09 PM
This will be a Twins/Sox race that goes down to the wire. The Tigers are toast this year.

ChicagoG19
07-12-2008, 08:21 PM
In terms of hatred, no one tops the twins for me. Ever since Tori Hunter ran over Jaime Burke this rivalry gets better every year. It stinks the twins don't lose, but it going to make the games left with them very intense.

PKalltheway
07-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I swear, the Twins are like mother****ing roaches. They just won't die. They won't go away.:angry:

I agree. What the Rockies did last year is something you may only see once in a generation, if even that often.

october23sp
07-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I swear, the Twins are like mother****ing roaches. They just won't die. They won't go away.:angry:

I hate the Twins so much especially living in North Dakota there is a lot of fans that come out of nowhere when they start winning. Someone asked me a couple days ago what happened to them white sox. I just replied we are in first buddy.

johnnyg83
07-12-2008, 10:15 PM
It has to kill the Twins that they're throwing knockout punch after punch and we keep ahead of them.

I hate that the Twins are in the Sox division, but I don't hate the Twins. It's an amazing franchise.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2008, 10:20 PM
The Twins stay around because they don't beat themselves and their offense doesn't go into long slumps because they can score runs in numerous ways.

It'll come down to those seven games, head to head all in the House of Horrors, the Metrodome.

Lip

CHISOXFAN13
07-12-2008, 11:09 PM
It has to kill the Twins that they're throwing knockout punch after punch and we keep ahead of them.

I hate that the Twins are in the Sox division, but I don't hate the Twins. It's an amazing franchise.

Agreed. We all get pissed off that they don't go away. I'm sure Twins fans are equally as pissed off that they haven't been able to overtake us.

Here's hoping they don't!

Oblong
07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I was at 2 of the 3 Tigers/Twins games this series.

This Twin team is good. Their 8th position in the lineup accounted for like half their RBI in the 3 games. They're all hitting .300 except for Gomez.

I don't know how they do it.

And don't pitch to Morneau. He's the George Brett of our generation. Just walk him. 2 outs, nobody on? Walk him.

ma-gaga
07-12-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't know how they do it.

Well, the rest of your post explained it. For the first time in 3-4 years, they have an "average" or even "above-average" offense, and they still have a top 10 pitching staff (I'm guessing here, and not checking the stats). Last year they had a really BAD offensive team, they had 4 holes on any given night. This year they've upgraded at LF, DH, SS and 3B and only really downgraded at CF. Even Casilla at 2B is playing above his head, and Mauer/Morneau are playing up to their potentials.

:cool:

ma-gaga
07-12-2008, 11:57 PM
they still have a top 10 pitching staff (I'm guessing here, and not checking the stats).

yikes! I checked the stats... ERA+ of 91 (not good). They are 10th best in the AL... So never mind my comment about their pitching. They simply are hitting the snot out of the ball.

gf2020
07-13-2008, 01:10 AM
I hope all those people rooting for the Twins this weekend because the Tigers represent a threat feel foolish.

WhiteSox5187
07-13-2008, 01:14 AM
The Twins stay around because they don't beat themselves and their offense doesn't go into long slumps because they can score runs in numerous ways.

It'll come down to those seven games, head to head all in the House of Horrors, the Metrodome.

Lip
That scares me like you won't believe...I don't think I need to recall the nightmare that was 2003 to anyone....it'll be interesting to see how that team plays once they tear down that dump.

Hitmen77
07-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Agreed. We all get pissed off that they don't go away. I'm sure Twins fans are equally as pissed off that they haven't been able to overtake us.

I also agree. How do you think the Twins felt watching the lowly Royals blow 2 games to us (including blowing a 5 run lead and blowing a game on a balk)? They must have been thinking for the last month: "the Sox never lose, they're always playing a ton of games at home or against teams like the Royals, etc. etc." Of course, the Sox can't blame the Twins for blowing that last game vs. the Royals. 1-0 in the 8th and we botch a double play that would have made it 2 outs, nobody on.

If we play like sloppy baseball vs. the Twins in a few weeks like we played vs. the Royals, the Twins are going to hand us our asses. Let's take care of our own business instead of worrying about the Twins. If we can play sound, fundamental baseball (less errors, less popups/Ks/DPs with runners on 2nd and 3rd), then there is no reason why we couldn't win at least a few games in that dump in MN.

Heffalump
07-13-2008, 11:48 AM
The Twins always put a competitive team on the field. Gardenhire is a great skipper and they teach their players how to play the game correctly from rookie ball on up. They are having a good year. However, I think some Sox fans have this messed up "the Twins are magical and cannot be beat" opinion of them. It's like Ivan Drago from Rocky IV. Remember, we swept the Twins earlier this year and I believe we will beat them for the division title. Even though we still have tons of games against the Twinkies at the Metrodome, I think we have a better team this year and we will hold on to the division.

chisoxmike
07-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I really, really fear the four game series to close out July.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 01:30 AM

I think they are more shocked. Pissed was when Santana left.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 01:38 AM
The Twins always put a competitive team on the field. Gardenhire is a great skipper and they teach their players how to play the game correctly from rookie ball on up.

I think they draft guys who already know how to play the game.

TwinKess
07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
The Twins always put a competitive team on the field. Gardenhire is a great skipper and they teach their players how to play the game correctly from rookie ball on up. They are having a good year. However, I think some Sox fans have this messed up "the Twins are magical and cannot be beat" opinion of them. It's like Ivan Drago from Rocky IV. Remember, we swept the Twins earlier this year and I believe we will beat them for the division title. Even though we still have tons of games against the Twinkies at the Metrodome, I think we have a better team this year and we will hold on to the division.

We really aren't the same team from when you swept us. Liriano was sent down to strengthen his arm (injury update: he's kept opponents scoreless in his last 3 outings in AAA) and benched guys like Lamb who weren't even hitting their weight. I'm not saying we're a WS team -we don't have the pitching, unless Liriano really is back in which case watch out- but we're a fun team to be a fan of this year.

oeo
07-14-2008, 09:57 AM
I really, really fear the four game series to close out July.

Bring it.

Madscout
07-14-2008, 11:42 AM

I was thinking about this yesterday. Imagine if the sox had a run like they did in June and we were still in second. The Sox aren't exactly giving it away, so we will just have to worry about it when we play them and show them we are the better team.

WhiteSox5187
07-14-2008, 01:36 PM
We really aren't the same team from when you swept us. Liriano was sent down to strengthen his arm (injury update: he's kept opponents scoreless in his last 3 outings in AAA) and benched guys like Lamb who weren't even hitting their weight. I'm not saying we're a WS team -we don't have the pitching, unless Liriano really is back in which case watch out- but we're a fun team to be a fan of this year.
The only thing the Twins have going for them right now is the fact that they play home games in what by all practical purposes is a stadium well suited for a roller derby and nothing more. They hit the road soon and will be playing good teams and won't get to beef up on weak NL pitching. We'll see how they survive that.

Irishsox1
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm not surprised that the Twins lose Torii Hunter and Johan Santana, and they are somehow a better team. The Twins are a very good organization who know how to develop talent.

jdm2662
07-14-2008, 02:41 PM
The only thing the Twins have going for them right now is the fact that they play home games in what by all practical purposes is a stadium well suited for a roller derby and nothing more. They hit the road soon and will be playing good teams and won't get to beef up on weak NL pitching. We'll see how they survive that.

Don't forget livestock and truck pulls, too. :D:

oeo
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm not surprised that the Twins lose Torii Hunter and Johan Santana, and they are somehow a better team. The Twins are a very good organization who know how to develop talent.

The Twins trade for their real talent. The rest are just scrappy players who have mastered the bloop hit.

PorkChopExpress
07-14-2008, 03:10 PM

Come on now. Let's get real. They've been getting decent pitching thus far. They have a lights-out closer. They have two very solid hitters in the 3rd and 4th spot of their lineup. They have some decent hitters surrounding those two, and they have lots of speed. I would say they have more going for them than their home-field advantage. And they just took 3 out of 4 in Detroit while we lost our last game to KC and dropped 2 of 3 to Texas. Yeah, they got swept by Boston in Boston, but that is one of the hardest places to win in for any team.

I don't know why some Sox fans continue to just write the Twins off. Since 2001, these guys have beaten us every year but one, and are currently only 1.5 in back of us. They are more than capable of being able to hang with and potentially beat us this year. I certainly hope they don't, but I am not just dismissing them as a fluke.

chisoxmike
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah. I just don't get how people write them off every year. It is fun to make fun of them, but they'll just keep winning. They'll beat us when it matters and laugh in our face. They do it every year.

I hope the Sox build a bit of a bigger lead when they go up there for that four game series.

Let's hope the Sox play with some pride in there.

WhiteSox5187
07-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Don't forget livestock and truck pulls, too. :D:
Livestock needs grass. Truck pulls, I'll give you.

As for the Twins, yea they have a good bullpen, but I can't believe their offense is THIS good. They're still hitting, what? .351 with RISP? They can't keep that up the whole year. They just can't.

PorkChopExpress
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
As for the Twins, yea they have a good bullpen, but I can't believe their offense is THIS good. They're still hitting, what? .351 with RISP? They can't keep that up the whole year. They just can't.

Why not? I understand that it seems unlikely, but until they show that they won't continue at that pace, I am inclined to expect them to do exactly what they have been doing until the last day of the season.

StepsInSC
07-14-2008, 06:10 PM

Since when is a 7 game deficit in July insurmountable? Hell, the Phillies overcame 7 games last year in September...

WhiteSoxOnly
07-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Those ****ers are just good,period...Ozzie calls 'em piranhas
but they're more like cockroaches.Just after you think you've
killed them all,they return in numbers.I'm sure the Sox are
better but they will be on our asses the rest of the way.What
i would like to see from Ozzie on down is a different attitude
especially when playing them in the dome.Enough of the old
"boy they are tough i don't know if we can beat them there"
bull****,go in there and knock one of their middle infielders
on their ass,or fire one under Nick Punto's chin to let them
know it's for keeps.

TwinKess
07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
The only thing the Twins have going for them right now is the fact that they play home games in what by all practical purposes is a stadium well suited for a roller derby and nothing more.

Here is the replacement as of 9:30 this morning:

:bandance:

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Here is the replacement as of 9:30 this morning:

:bandance:
It's hard to make out anything from that photo but it can't be any worse than the current stadium. The drawings I saw of it make it look very nice! It will be interesting to see how the Twins do without the Dome as that place has the biggest homefield advantage in all of baseball. And that's not including the air conditioner switched on when the Twins are at bat!

delben91
07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Why not? I understand that it seems unlikely, but until they show that they won't continue at that pace, I am inclined to expect them to do exactly what they have been doing until the last day of the season.

Haven't the Twins won something like 16 of their last 20?

So you honestly expect them to play .800 ball the whole second half?

If that happens, I don't care how well the Sox play, they won't stop a Twins team winning 80% of their games.

PorkChopExpress
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Haven't the Twins won something like 16 of their last 20?

So you honestly expect them to play .800 ball the whole second half?

If that happens, I don't care how well the Sox play, they won't stop a Twins team winning 80% of their games.

You are putting words in my mouth. I did not say I expect them to play just like they have on their most recent hot streak. I said like they have been playing all year.

I expect them to win the games they "should." They had a long stretch against teams they "should beat" and did just that.

They have played .640 ball at home all season. I expect that to continue.

Mauer and Morneau have been hitting extremely well, and I expect that to continue.

They have played .558 ball since the beginning of the season, and .580 ball since May 1. I expect that they will play as well or better in the second half.

So no, I do not expect them to play at an .800 clip. I expect them to play like they have played pretty much all year.

I expect the same from the Sox, which should keep this a close race, meaning I am not writing off the Twins which is the point I was trying to make.

hawkjt
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
With the M&M boys...they will never be a pushover.
They have won 21 of last 26.
They aint going anywhere.
But the Sox can prevail.

turners56
07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
The Twins are hitting .275 as a team. They're hitting over .300 with RISP. It's luck, there's nothing else to it. Law of averages will catch up sooner or later.

Bobby Jenks
07-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Their bullpen is not as good as it has been. At least until you reach nathan. He has been dominant this year.

OldRomanPizza
07-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Lot of road games left for them, including a long West Coast trip at the end of August.

However, they have seven home games against our Sox.

I think its quite simple, we win in the Twindome, we win the division. We lose in the Twindome, and we watch the Twins lose to the Angels in the playoffs.

FedEx227
07-19-2008, 12:31 AM
The Twins are hitting .275 as a team. They're hitting over .300 with RISP. It's luck, there's nothing else to it. Law of averages will catch up sooner or later.

It's luck... and good starting pitching/good bullpen and great defense.

october23sp
07-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't know what it is but I feel like im gunna blow my brains out if they dont stop winning.

cleanwsox
07-19-2008, 11:29 PM
I think its quite simple, we win in the Twindome, we win the division. We lose in the Twindome, and we watch the Twins lose to the Angels in the playoffs.

Yup, win the division and have a chance at success for the Central... or watch the Twinkies lose in the playoffs pre World Series. It's like clockwork, I hate those bitches.

getonbckthr
07-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I don't know what it is but I feel like im gunna blow my brains out if they dont stop winning.
That might hurt. Just throwin it out there.

thomas35forever
07-19-2008, 11:30 PM
The Twins exist to make Sox fans miserable and nothing more. That's all I have to say.

getonbckthr
07-19-2008, 11:36 PM
The Twins exist to make Sox fans miserable and nothing more. That's all I have to say.
They are the nasty whitehead zit smack dab between your eyes the day before prom. They shouldn't be there, they don't belong there, they are ruining everything. We need to skip the Oxy pads and go right to popping these suckers and deflate them.

october23sp
07-20-2008, 12:01 AM
That might hurt. Just throwin it out there.

It hurts being a white sox fan in north dakota. I know a couple ppl live in minnesota i cant believe what kind of hell that would be like. So many Twins fans that don't know any other words then Mauer Morneau and how are the sox doing? When the Twins start losing they don't say a word. This season they are annoying as ever.

whitesox901
07-20-2008, 03:29 AM
It hurts being a white sox fan in north dakota. I know a couple ppl live in minnesota i cant believe what kind of hell that would be like. So many Twins fans that don't know any other words then Mauer Morneau and how are the sox doing? When the Twins start losing they don't say a word. This season they are annoying as ever.

As a man that lives deep in the territory of TWO! division rivals, I can feel your pain

SoxGirl4Life
07-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Yup, win the division and have a chance at success for the Central... or watch the Twinkies lose in the playoffs pre World Series. It's like clockwork, I hate those bitches.

Yeah.. why doesn't Gardenhire's magic ever work in the postseason? That's what makes it most annoying. At least Detroit and Cleveland had some postseason success. The Twins just snatch the division then suck for three games and their season is over.

eaganmafia
07-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah.. why doesn't Gardenhire's magic ever work in the postseason? That's what makes it most annoying. At least Detroit and Cleveland had some postseason success. The Twins just snatch the division then suck for three games and their season is over.

They did make it to the ALCS in 2002 so they've had as much success in the postseason as the Indians have had since 2000.

SoxGirl4Life
07-20-2008, 05:22 PM
They did make it to the ALCS in 2002 so they've had as much success in the postseason as the Indians have had since 2000.

Twins have had 4 chances and made it out of the first round once. Indians have had two chances and have made it once. Sox have had two chances and made it past the first round once.

A .250 average for Min vs a .500 average for Cleveland and the Sox. Average goes with the Indians and the Sox.

eaganmafia
07-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Twins have had 4 chances and made it out of the first round once. Indians have had two chances and have made it once. Sox have had two chances and made it past the first round once.

A .250 average for Min vs a .500 average for Cleveland and the Sox. Average goes with the Indians and the Sox.

That very well might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. You gonna discount what the Braves did for 14 years in a row cause of their "average" of making it outta the first round.

Morons...

MarySwiss
07-20-2008, 07:06 PM

That very well might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. You gonna discount what the Braves did for 14 years in a row cause of their "average" of making it outta the first round.

Morons...

Well, that sort of depends on how you look at it, doesn't it? If making it into the playoffs and going no further is your goal, then let's all stand up and cheer the Twins and the Braves.

I don't like to quantify, but there's nothing dumb about what she said, IMO.

Edit: Then again, Eagan is a town in Minnesota, so considering the source might not be a bad idea. And I'd hold off on calling people "morons" here.

WhiteSox5187
07-20-2008, 07:07 PM

Morons...
Actually the Braves made it out of the first round in '95, '96, '97, '98, and '99, they might have also done it in '00, and '01 (I don't remember who the Mets and D-Backs beat). The Twins made it out in '02 (AJ hit that walk off in one of those games against the Yankees) and were swept by the Angels. However it would be just as moronic to suggest that the Twins have had ANY level of success in the playoffs since 1991. It's also intriguing that the Twins have won their only World Series titles while under the dome, the greatest home field advantage in baseball. How they will play next year out of the dome is an interesting question.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2008, 07:19 PM
One thing we do know for certain...if you don't even get to the playoffs you have zero chance to advance.

To me you have to at least acknowledge the fact that even if they get beat every time in the first round, at least the Twins (or Braves or whomever) got there. To me that's still a hell of a lot better then sitting at home or golfing the first week of October. To get the chance to get beat in the first round you still had to have a hell of a season.

Lip

SoxGirl4Life
07-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, that sort of depends on how you look at it, doesn't it? If making it into the playoffs and going no further is your goal, then let's all stand up and cheer the Twins and the Braves.

I don't like to quantify, but there's nothing dumb about what she said, IMO.

Edit: Then again, Eagan is a town in Minnesota, so considering the source might not be a bad idea. And I'd hold off on calling people "morons" here.

IMO, making it to the playoffs and losing is more crushing and shouldn't be an organizational goal. If I were a Braves fan, yeah.. I'd be pretty ticked off they only won ONE time from those 14 divisional titles.

SoxGirl4Life
07-20-2008, 07:28 PM
One thing we do know for certain...if you don't even get to the playoffs you have zero chance to advance.

To me you have to at least acknowledge the fact that even if they get beat every time in the first round, at least the Twins (or Braves or whomever) got there. To me that's still a hell of a lot better then sitting at home or golfing the first week of October. To get the chance to get beat in the first round you still had to have a hell of a season.

Lip

Like I said Lip, its my opinion.