View Full Version : Rotation after the break

Sockinchisox
07-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Buehrle
Floyd
Danks
Vazquez
Contreras

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/07/jenks-expected.html

LITTLE NELL
07-12-2008, 05:43 PM
MB and Danks are the only ones Im feeling good about right now. Kenny might have to make a move.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 05:46 PM
MB and Danks are the only ones Im feeling good about right now. Kenny might have to make a move.
Gavin's only had ONE bad outting of late. I also think a rest would do Javy a world of good right now.

JB98
07-12-2008, 05:47 PM

Absolutely not.

Contreras is our weakest link, and he's still better than any of the crap that's rumored to be available.

Sorry, I don't want Randy Wolf and Bronson Arroyo. I'll gamble on the five we have.

Daver
07-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Sorry, I don't want Randy Wolf and Bronson Arroyo. I'll gamble on the five we have.

I'd call up Haeger and Lucy before trading for either of those guys.

JB98
07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd call up Haeger and Lucy before trading for either of those guys.

Lucy might be able to pitch as well as Bronson Arroyo has this year.

kevingrt
07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Gavin's only had ONE bad outting of late. I also think a rest would do Javy a world of good right now.

Agree with both sentiments. People can't jump or even think about jumping off the Gavin Floyd Ship after one terrible (I know it was more than terrible) outing.

And I do believe Javy will bounce back after a week break. I think he needs his hear cleared. Maybe some fishing or golfing or whatever he does, probably neither.

SoxNation05
07-12-2008, 11:56 PM
It it essential for Gavin to start the game well. A bad start and a loss of confidence is the beginning of a rough game and a glimpse of Gavin "deer in the headlights" Floyd.

Jerome
07-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Gavin Floyd is the number two starter. Congrats to him on how far he has come, because if you told me that last year, I would be :o:

whitesox901
07-13-2008, 04:27 AM
I hope he has a better start next outting, we dont need the Phillies version of Floyd

Railsplitter
07-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Not so bad. With a four day break and none of our pitchers involvoed in the All-Star Game, it's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if Ozzie is going to work on his roation or not.

SoxGirl4Life
07-13-2008, 08:48 AM
I hope he has a better start next outting, we dont need the Phillies version of Floyd

We don't have to worry about that. The Phillies version of Floyd would have a record of 2-10 and be on his way down to the minors again.

Gavin had one bad outing. Lets give the kid a break. That Rangers lineup is intimidating.

TornLabrum
07-13-2008, 09:11 AM
The only thing I worry about with Floyd is the number of innings he'll have to pitch compared to what he's used to. We saw that with Danks last year.

I also worry about Vazquez for one big reason. The one good year he's had for us was when we were out of contention last year. Two years ago when we were contending he pitched more like he has lately. I do put one caveat on that fear, though. "Past performance does not necessarily reflect future results."

Tragg
07-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Starters are hard to find and are ridiculously expensive at this time of year. Please don't trade for some overpriced starter whose team is trying to unload him at peak value.

Floyd had one bad game. His bad games are often really bad. Even last year, he had far more good outings than bad, but most remembered the bad. Floyd hasn't shown "deer in headlights" all year.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Gavin had one bad outing. Lets give the kid a break. That Rangers lineup is intimidating.

Is it ever. I'm thankful the Rangers never really seem have the pitching to go with it. If you're going to have a bad outing, Arlington seems as good a place as any.

bluestar
07-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Floyd's bad game also came in a park that has a tendency to humiliate pitchers who don't have their best stuff, and against a team that uses that park to their full advantage.

Lillian
07-13-2008, 11:04 AM
I understand that the Sox are trying to rearrange the starting rotation, but I hope that they pull out all of the stops, to try to take the last game of this 6 game road trip. In that none of our pitchers are going to the All Star Game, why not have Jose on a short leash, and bring in another starter if needed?

hawkjt
07-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Not sure we want to go to one of our valuable starters on shot rest in an emergency situation today...that is Masset's job.

I like the way they have set this up...Floyd misses the Rangers in that second series and will go vs the Tigers(who he has owned) the next series..I think Oz and Coop have laid it all out to give the most rest to the old guys and the best matchups for everyone.

Javy and Jose need the longer break...both seem to have dead arms syndrome of late..ie. no command.

TDog
07-13-2008, 01:27 PM
ESPN.com has Vazquez starting Friday against the Royals, but anyone who follows the Sox would guess that is wrong.

No matter what happens today, all of the Sox pitchers will get four days of rest. Mark Buehrle is the best pitcher on the team. Danks and Floyd are having great seasons. I am concerned their second halves won't be as sharp as their innings pile up. July and August often are rough months for many pitchers. The good ones come back strong in September and October.

I remember when the Sox used to pitch their number one starter going into the All-Star break and came back Thursday with the same pitcher on the mound with three days of rest, in large part because the rotation was so shallow.

JB98
07-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Gavin Floyd is the number two starter. Congrats to him on how far he has come, because if you told me that last year, I would be :o:

By pitching that second game against KC, that lines Floyd up to pitch the opener of a key series at Detroit. Gavin has always had good success against the Tigers.

TDog
07-13-2008, 01:56 PM
By pitching that second game against KC, that lines Floyd up to pitch the opener of a key series at Detroit. Gavin has always had good success against the Tigers.

That may be the most important aspect in the way the pitchers are lined up coming out of the All-Star break. People get hung up on No.1, No. 2 etc. starter designations. Part of it is that ESPN has dumbed down baseball. (The people who focus on statistics have done that as well, but that isn't really the point here.)

At home, against Kansas City and Texas, the matchups aren't a huge deal. The Rangers will miss Danks when they come to Chicago, but the Rangers are a Western Division team. The rotation sets up Floyd and Danks opening against the Tigers on the next Sox road trip. If all goes well and weather permitting, the rotation would have Buehrle, Floyd and Danks pithing the last three games of the four-game series in the Metrodome.

UofCSoxFan
07-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm just glad it's going to be over a week before I have to sit through another Jose Contreras start. Good Lord that was painful today.

JB98
07-14-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm just glad it's going to be over a week before I have to sit through another Jose Contreras start. Good Lord that was painful today.

It's hard to watch, isn't it? He works slow, he's deep in counts. Today, it was 95 degrees in Texas. Can you imagine standing out on that field, playing defense behind the slow-working Contreras? No wonder our guys played poor defense.

I got a migraine watching today's game.

UofCSoxFan
07-14-2008, 01:15 AM
I was getting bored/tired/frustrated just watching in air conditioning. I'm glad we have a few days off because that is the type of game that could sap a team's energy for the next 3 or 4 games.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 01:35 AM

Let's see how he does after next year before jumping to conclusions.

Noneck
07-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Let's see how he does after next year before jumping to conclusions.
Next year? Lets not jump to conclusions till we see how he finishes this year.

Bucky F. Dent
07-14-2008, 07:43 AM
This spring I viewed the starting pitching as this team's weakest link with the inexperience of Danks & Floyd, and the age and poor performance of Contreras as major red flags.

Half way through, only the age of JC leaves me concerned with regard to our starters. Danks has been solid, and Floyd will bounce back from one bad outing.

While you can never have enough arms, it seems to me that acquiring another starting pitcher is not a priority as Kenny looks forward to another World Series run.:D:

Law11
07-14-2008, 09:32 AM
If Jose can give us 6-7 wins the second half I'll be happy.
The playoffs Id have him in the pen anyway and go with 4 starters.

Just get us there...

whitesox901
07-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Maybe he will no hit them untill the 8th agian..or hell maybe a complete no-hitter