PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Blow Harden's 10K outing

twentywontowin
07-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Marmol gives up five runs in the 9th. Tied 7-7.

rustysurf83
07-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I couldn't believe this when it just flashed on FOX....maybe they should've shored up the pen instead?

QCIASOXFAN
07-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I watched it unfold in all its glory. Just hoping SF can hang an L on them now.

JermaineDye05
07-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I couldn't believe this when it just flashed on FOX....maybe they should've shored up the pen instead?

They did get Chad Gaudin. I'm surprised Lou didn't use him instead of Marmol. Just to get a look at what the guy has, I mean they had a 5 run lead. Lou tried earlier this week with Marmol to get his confidence back up and it just didn't work. It's almost like Ozzie with Linebrink in the 9th, maybe now Lou will stop bringing him into situations he can't handle. Then again last year there was never a situation Marmol couldn't handle.

PatK
07-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Funny thing seeing them blow threw their pen and Wood is not available today.

Brenley said Kerry has a blister problem that is flaring up again.

rustysurf83
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I think the Cubs do, however, appear to be handling Harden well. Taking him out after 5+ could reap benefits 3 months from now. How many pitches did he have today?

itsnotrequired
07-12-2008, 04:08 PM
What's The Score should be closed forever.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, they won a heartbreaker today, but it's apparent that something is seriously wrong with Marmol. Getting Gaudin was a great move as that really shores up the bullpen...But only five innings from Harden, the guy doesn't give you a lot of innings, plus he's a walking injury.

The Cubs can afford to lose Marmol, but they can't afford to lose both Marmol and Wood, which with Wood's history of injuries could be likely.

South Side Irish
07-12-2008, 04:13 PM
The Cubs can afford to lose Marmol, but they can't afford to lose both Marmol and Wood, which with Wood's history of injuries could be likely.

Don't know about that. Most would prefer losing a set-up guy to a closer, but Marmol has been the best in the league at shutting down guys in the 8th and holding a lead. That makes it a lot easier for your closer, not to mention the whole bullpen. Look at the KC series without Jenks. Throws everything out of sync.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Don't know about that. Most would prefer losing a set-up guy to a closer, but Marmol has been the best in the league at shutting down guys in the 8th and holding a lead. That makes it a lot easier for your closer, not to mention the whole bullpen. Look at the KC series without Jenks. Throws everything out of sync.
Well, I think that Gaudin could step up and fill in for Marmol, if they didn't had Gaudin, yes, they would be in trouble. They might still be in trouble

jabrch
07-12-2008, 04:30 PM
They need a full bullpen. Not having Marmol, their primary setup guy, would be a HUGE loss.

Brian26
07-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, they won a heartbreaker today

How is it a heartbreaker if they won dramatically in 10 innings?

Not a big fan of seeing game threads for Flubs games every single day either.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 04:47 PM

I think they won in eleven, I said "won a heartbreaker" because, well, I was rooting against them.

34rancher
07-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I wonder if the media will blast Lou, and demand that he be fired for leaving Marmol in a situation to obviously fail. Had that been the exact same situation with Ozzie, the media would have had a field day.

Oh wait, they did with Danks in the first cub game....

Boondock Saint
07-12-2008, 05:03 PM
They need a full bullpen. Not having Marmol, their primary setup guy, would be a HUGE loss.

Too true. If anyone knows this, it should be Sox fans. How many leads did our bullpen piss away just last season? A Cubs team without a quality Marmol is a Cubs team that can lose any game.

EuroSox35
07-12-2008, 05:06 PM
How horrible is Kasper? Someone had the TV on in the other room and I heard his screeching voice screaming like a madman on the final play. Sad how no one in this town calls him out, but is always so quick to rip on our broadcasters (even if rightfully so). Maybe because he's buddy buddy with everyone in the media, but I guess having no spine is a good characteristic of the Chicago media.

Meanwhile I could also hear that moron Kaplan on the field, going on about the dramatic atmosphere and 'feeling with this song blaring and everyone singing along' as he interviewed someone, puke

TDog
07-12-2008, 05:06 PM

The KC series against the Sox without Jenks (or against the Twins earlier this season for that matter) looked like the game the Cubs played today, as well as a couple of games in San Francisco, where the Cubs split a four-game series. I watch some Giants games, and I knew this one was lost when they couldn't take the lead in the ninth. They scored as many runs against Marmol in the ninth today as they scored on their current roadtrip gong into the ninth. The Giants have scored a lot off Marmol this year, though.

Leaving Brian Wilson out for more than one inning wasn't going to hold the lead. In Friday's game, the Giants only threatened for a big inning against Wood. Wood was unavailable today, according to the Giants announcers. Because of the upcoming All-Star break, the Cubs were able to bring Marshall in to pitch extra innings as if he was a starter.

It's too bad. It would have been a great comeback win for the Giants. Their fans could have used it.

TDog
07-12-2008, 05:09 PM

I wasn't aware this was a Cubs game thread. I thought this was baseball talk about the Giants.

PatK
07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, I think that Gaudin could step up and fill in for Marmol, if they didn't had Gaudin, yes, they would be in trouble. They might still be in trouble

Gaudin hasn't looked sharp.

Neither has the Cubs pen recently. Marmol looks bad. Wood may be having another "injury" (blister or not).

Yes, they have the best record in baseball.

But let's not act like they are a whole hell of a lot better than the Sox.

What's funny is I thought "What's the Score" was the forum for Flubsession since I've been a member of this site.

Now people are getting upset with it.