PDA

View Full Version : Video of 10 Year Old kid drinking beer at Wrigley Field.

Mr. Man
07-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I guess they start them early at Wrigley Field.

Nice Seats this kid has. Nice Beer too.
WGN caught this in the 2nd Inning Friday (Cubs vs Giants) ...
http://homerderby.com/archives/2339 (http://homerderby.com/archives/2339)

I'd bet that Dad has some explaining to do this morning ...
:gulp:

PatK
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I just saw that on another site and was about to post it.

Funny, on other sites where I've seen it, you can tell who the Cubs fans are commenting on it because they are the ones saying how "Okay" it is.

Yet if something like that happened at the Cell......

Jacob Nelson Fox
07-12-2008, 11:54 AM
That reminds me of a time I was at the Minnesota State Fair, where beer is available all around the premises, not just in a beer garden.

I was at a food booth standing next to a woman with her 2 kids who were studying the menu board. Suddenly the 10 year old boy excitedly blurts out "Look, Mom, they've got beer!"

Under her breath Mom responds "Jimmy, I told you that was just at home!"

:redface:

itsnotrequired
07-12-2008, 12:14 PM
I have no problem with this.

Rockabilly
07-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I have seen many kids until the age of 14 in europe drink beer. I'm not to sure if still exist today but in Germany and a few other countries there were vending machines filled with alcohol...

itsnotrequired
07-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I have seen many kids until the age of 14 in europe drink beer. I'm not to sure if still exist today but in Germany and a few other countries there were vending machines filled with alcohol...

It is still that way. 14-15 can drink beer and wine as long as their parents are there. Once you turn 16, you can drink beer and wine on your own. Once you are 18, anything goes.

In the UK, children can drink in the presence of their parents at age FIVE.

voodoochile
07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
If this video were filmed at any other stadium, would you have posted it?

Not like the kid bought the beer from a vendor, Dad handed it to him. My nephew likes to drink NA beer at family gatherings because it makes him feel cool and grown up.

It's a Non-story and one more stunning example of the flubsession some posters suffer from.

A.T. Money
07-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Let's not overreact. We're in Chicago, so of course we're going to see stuff like this at Wrigley as opposed to let's say, Anaheim.

I'm sure this story is all over the place.

As far as the beer goes, my dad gave me a few sips of beer here and there. Of course, we live in an ultra liberal DCFS age, so I'm sure this guy is going to have problems.

:whocares:

cbrownson13
07-12-2008, 01:20 PM
My dad used to give me sips out of his MGD bottles occasionally. Not a big deal at all.

A.T. Money
07-12-2008, 01:26 PM
My dad used to give me sips out of his MGD bottles occasionally. Not a big deal at all.

Of course. It's a father/son thing.

Maybe some will never "get it", but I think it's part of growing up.

Jason82807
07-12-2008, 01:28 PM

Not a big deal, but I wouldn't've done it sitting in that kind of seating.

A.T. Money
07-12-2008, 01:31 PM

That's a fair criticism. I agree.

soltrain21
07-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Totally part of growing up, but the dad is a dumbass for doing it there.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-12-2008, 02:46 PM
In Wisconsin kids can drink in a tavern if their parents are with them, tho I believe it is at the discretion of the owner.

Because it's Wrigley there is the temptation to take a lot of cheap shots but I don't see it as any big deal. Actually, I think a more European attitude toward drinking would be a plus.

itsnotrequired
07-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Totally part of growing up, but the dad is a dumbass for doing it there.

I still think it isn't a big deal. Who cares where the seats are? My son has taken a few sips of beer at the tailgates and he isn't even three yet.

BeviBall!
07-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Kid drinks like a wuss. It's Old Style not Thomas Hardy.

Frontman
07-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I can't make that big of a deal out of it. Sure, not a good idea; but my Grandpa handed me a beer when I was younger (about 10) at a family party. My family's philosophy is to allow kids to taste it young; as more often than not, it will turn them off of drinking.

itsnotrequired
07-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Kid drinks like a wuss. It's Old Style not Thomas Hardy.

keg stands or bust!

BeviBall!
07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I still think it isn't a big deal. Who cares where the seats are? My son has taken a few sips of beer at the tailgates and he isn't even three yet.

If I responded to this in the way I want to, I'd be banned.

:cheers:

TornLabrum
07-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I would point out one thing: Providing alcoholic beverages to a minor is illegal.

twentywontowin
07-12-2008, 03:28 PM
There's a time and a place for giving your son a couple sips of beer. On the dugout in view of television cameras isn't one of them.

34 Inch Stick
07-12-2008, 03:43 PM
It's an unnecessary indulgence. It's not a big deal, just completely unnecessary.

I have seen long winded threads decrying adults bringing younger children to a game. Those posters must have taken the weekend off from this site.

itsnotrequired
07-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I would point out one thing: Providing alcoholic beverages to a minor is illegal.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/debbie_downer.jpg

GoSox2K3
07-12-2008, 04:28 PM
meh, in 8 short years this kid will probably be part of the huge throngs of people going to Wrigley to get hammered. That's what Wrigley tradition is all about. Why not start training him now?

thomas35forever
07-12-2008, 04:32 PM
What a collapse by the Cubs 'pen today. Up 7-0 in the eighth, Hart gives up two runs, Cotts and Howry get out of it. Up 7-2 in the ninth, Marmol gives up five runs, one of which scored on a throwing error by Theriot. The game's now in extras.

BeviBall!
07-12-2008, 04:36 PM
What a collapse by the Cubs 'pen today. Up 7-0 in the eighth, Hart gives up two runs, Cotts and Howry get out of it. Up 7-2 in the ninth, Marmol gives up five runs, one of which scored on a throwing error by Theriot. The game's now in extras.

The kid knew it was gonna be one of those games.

Brian26
07-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Of course, we live in an ultra liberal DCFS age,...

That should be ultra-conservative, not ultra-liberal.

spiffie
07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
I can't make that big of a deal out of it. Sure, not a good idea; but my Grandpa handed me a beer when I was younger (about 10) at a family party. My family's philosophy is to allow kids to taste it young; as more often than not, it will turn them off of drinking.

Against the law is against the law.

:scratch:

cws05champ
07-13-2008, 01:39 AM
If this video were filmed at any other stadium, would you have posted it?

Not like the kid bought the beer from a vendor, Dad handed it to him. My nephew likes to drink NA beer at family gatherings because it makes him feel cool and grown up.

It's a Non-story and one more stunning example of the flubsession some posters suffer from.
On the other hand if this were on the South Side don't you think it would be picked up by the print media in town to perpetuate the "Sox are trashy" stereotype? It's the same reason they jump on posting you tube videos of fights at the Cell but not at Wrigley.

Railsplitter
07-13-2008, 08:15 AM

Yeah, but did anybody enforce that law? And, gernerally speaking, is it that enforcable?

As for the severity of the infraction: to use a Simpsons analogy, Homer giving Bart a few sips of beer hardly compare to Snake knocking of the Kwik E Mart and pistol whipping Apu.

TornLabrum
07-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, but did anybody enforce that law? And, gernerally speaking, is it that enforcable?

As for the severity of the infraction: to use a Simpsons analogy, Homer giving Bart a few sips of beer hardly compare to Snake knocking of the Kwik E Mart and pistol whipping Apu.

The law is mostly enforced against parents who provide booze for their kids (and others) at parties.

I know at Kane County this year they've started making an announcement that people buying beer for minors will be prosecuted.

Frontman
07-13-2008, 08:37 AM
:scratch:

Spiffie, since you chose to use selective cutting/pasting; thank you for leaving out the part where I mention that I'm no angel when it comes to following the rules, and that I have broken my share of rules and laws. (Then again, who can blame you for that entirely, as there were a ton of posts in that thread which reminded me of 3rd graders arguing. "Oh yeah?" "Yeeeeah." "Well then, you're a poopie head" "Well you're a double poopie head." etc.)

The issue I had in that thread was folks saying Law11 had no justification to call the cops. The point I was making then, as I'm making now.

If it is against the law and its bothering someone, then that person has the right to contact the authorities. Period.

If someone turned the guy in, then guess what? It's against the law, and he could be prosecuted for it.

But as far as a Dad giving a kid a sip of beer? I happen to think this one is better left alone.

goon
07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
It took me until 20 to appreciate the taste of beer. Good for him.

DrGiggles
07-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Maybe they were European and weren't up on the laws. I don't think it's a big deal, but I would keep that at home, not at a ballpark.

eriqjaffe
07-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Maybe they were European and didn't think Old Style qualified as "beer".Also possible.

kittle42
07-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Maybe they were European and weren't up on the laws. I don't think it's a big deal, but I would keep that at home, not at a ballpark.

That doesn't make much sense. If they weren't up on the laws, why would they keep it at home?

DumpJerry
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
This video has the boys over at the Cubs' version of WSI very upset. Something about it "reinforcing a stereotype."

If the shoe fits......

itsnotrequired
07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
This video has the boys over at the Cubs' version of WSI very upset. Something about it "reinforcing a stereotype."

If the shoe fits......

Same reason WSI gets upset when the media publishes a picture of a fan running on the field, a crime in the parking lot, etc.

Basically, people are crybabies.

kittle42
07-17-2008, 05:21 PM

They really, really, really are.

Frontman
07-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Same reason WSI gets upset when the media publishes a picture of a fan running on the field, a crime in the parking lot, etc.

But aren't you crying about people then, thus becoming what you hate?

Not that I have room to talk, as I can complain with the best of them. But if complaining about people complaining, doesn't the complainer then become one of the group he is complaining about?

Is that not self loathing?

I hate that.

:)

itsnotrequired
07-17-2008, 06:36 PM
But aren't you crying about people then, thus becoming what you hate?

Not that I have room to talk, as I can complain with the best of them. But if complaining about people complaining, doesn't the complainer then become one of the group he is complaining about?

Is that not self loathing?

I hate that.

:)

i am above criticism and i think the law

Frontman
07-17-2008, 07:27 PM
i am above criticism and i think the law
http://www.thesoundoff.com/topgun5.jpg

"Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha!!! Oh, you kill me, you really do. No, no, no. There's two "O"s in Goose, boys."

TomBradley72
07-17-2008, 09:02 PM

Mine too. My Dad gave me a few sips of Schlitz when I as about 8 or 9...had no desire for beer for at least 8 more years. :cool:

Viva Medias B's
07-17-2008, 09:34 PM
So a dad gives his son a sip of beer. Who cares. As has been pointed out already, many fathers give their children sips of beer. Granted, the event getting caught on live television (and, subsequently, the Internet) is not the best thing. Yeah, doing it at the ballpark (as opposed to home) isn't the best idea either. Nevertheless, I am sure most people would understand.

kittle42
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Nevertheless, I am sure most people would understand.

People love being reactionary and holier-than-thou.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2008, 11:26 PM
People love being reactionary and holier-than-thou.

Case in point. :tongue:

Deebs14
07-18-2008, 01:46 AM
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't sneak a sip or two off my old man's brewski during games growing up. It's not like him and his dad were beer bonging Old Styles out in the open...

As long as he didn't hop on his bike and ride out, I'm okay with it.