PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox upgrade USCF's out of town scoreboard?

Viva Medias B's
07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
The out of town scoreboard at U.S. Cellular Field is the one true remaining original remnant of the scoreboards from when the ballpark first opened 17 years ago. Since 1991, all the other scoreboards in the park have been replaced. I say the time has come to upgrade the out of town scoreboard. Our out of town board is not bad, and I think it has actually improved this year in providing real time scoring which it lacked in previous years. However, I would like its technology to be brought up to date with the other scoreboards and electronic displays in the ballpark. Out of town scoreboards in newer ballparks not only feature the current inning and score of the game, they also provide information on baserunners, outs, etc. Perhaps we should upgrade the out of town board in our park to feature such information.

chisoxmike
07-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Yes.

KnightSox
07-12-2008, 12:22 AM
My question would be is it on the top of their list? Or are they concerned with putting money into the main boards to keep current with new technology, like in Kansas City. But to answer the original question, I think they should.

A.T. Money
07-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Not as concerned with the out of town one as I am the one in center. I want what the Royals have. That, is awesome!

TornLabrum
07-12-2008, 12:27 AM
I'd like a main scoreboard that you can see without the fan deck blocking part of it from a large percentage of the seats.

jenn2080
07-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Absolutely. I say it at almost every game.

thomas35forever
07-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Yes. It's too '90s. The current space might be too small to feature all the information other ballparks have. Therefore, they'd have to replace an ad to do it.

I want Mags back
07-12-2008, 12:50 AM
the team has better things to spend money on. Get a cell pnone with ESPN it

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2008, 01:05 AM
You know where I stand. I want a main scoreboard that is as wide as the gap between the two center-most outfield light towers, and as tall as the top lights on those towers, with pinwheels on top that actually shoot out fireworks and laser beams.

This new "Monster" should be sufficiently large to show replay videos as well as display any and all pertinent information from the game going on at the Cell or anywhere else. It also should be more impressive than the 60-yard video boards that the Dallas Cowboys are installing in their new stadium.

The current RCF and LCF info boards can be converted to ad space to make up for the ad space that would be lost by building this new "Monster."

Hitmen77
07-12-2008, 01:21 AM
I agree with others that the Sox should upgrade the out of town scoreboard, but I'd like to see a priority on upgrading the main/aux scoreboard before dealing with the out-of-town one.

The main CF scoreboard is terrible in that it's pretty much player "factoids" and birthday greetings only and doesn't show game information. The score is on the Aux board, but that board looks very low-tech by today's standards and, worst of all, is not viewable by a good number of seats at the park (obstructed by the Fundamentals area in many sections).

SoxNation05
07-12-2008, 01:37 AM
You know where I stand. I want a main scoreboard that is as wide as the gap between the two center-most outfield light towers, and as tall as the top lights on those towers, with pinwheels on top that actually shoot out fireworks and laser beams.

This new "Monster" should be sufficiently large to show replay videos as well as display any and all pertinent information from the game going on at the Cell or anywhere else. It also should be more impressive than the 60-yard video boards that the Dallas Cowboys are installing in their new stadium.

The current RCF and LCF info boards can be converted to ad space to make up for the ad space that would be lost by building this new "Monster."
Sounds awesome!

scarsofthumper
07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Chase Field has exactly what I think the Cell should have.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2008, 03:29 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they've really changed any of the boards since the stadium opened up back in '91. They might have changed the screen on the CF scoreboard and most if not all of ads around it, but I don't think the rest of them have changed...or is that one in LF relatively new? Hmm...

ComiskeyBrewer
07-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Yes. It's too '90s. The current space might be too small to feature all the information other ballparks have. Therefore, they'd have to replace an ad to do it.

That wouldn't be a problem. The OOT scoreboard at Miller Park puts up ads all the time inbetween half innings. So i don't think they would be losing much revenue.

LITTLE NELL
07-12-2008, 06:44 AM
First of all I would tear down that ugly steel sructure and light towers and replace them with a retro looking wall with arches resembling the ones in old Comiskey. The scoreboard in center would be widened to allow for out of town scores. There would be no light towers in the outfield, I would add more lighting on the roof going from the present 4 light towers to 6.

Steelrod
07-12-2008, 08:44 AM
No light towers in outfield i'm sure would please the outfielders. They prefer looking at the dark side of the ball.

Frontman
07-12-2008, 08:52 AM
I think all the scoreboards should be re-done. Center, left, and the out of town.

What I don't want is the "ribbon" boards you see on the outfield walls. Not that there is a ton of outfield wall for them to do that, but I don't want scoreboard stuff down on the field of play in the outfield.

LITTLE NELL
07-12-2008, 09:46 AM
No light towers in outfield i'm sure would please the outfielders. They prefer looking at the dark side of the ball.
Works at Yankee Stadium and the Urinal, no lights in the OF at those parks

peeonwrigley
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM

I can't picture Yankee Stadium in my head right now, but Wrigley looks awful on television for night games. Too dark.

dickallen15
07-12-2008, 10:25 AM

Yankee Stadium does have lights in the OF. Their grandstand goes farther out than at USCF so they have lights from behind the field in LF and RF. The Urinal is the only park in MLB with no OF lighting and the league has tried to get them to put some in on more than one occassion.
FWIW, when the Sox were in the middle of renovations and the idea for a home run porch in RF was being tossed around, there were plans to get a new out of town scoreboard, but they were placed on hold while that idea was on hold. It would have been on the roof of the new structure. Perhaps that idea isn't dead yet or a different variation is being considered. I want to see a couple of boards with line scores on them. Maybe hang them from the facade of the club level. Its time the pinwheels were retired. The yellow ones are so worn they are totally white.

nug0hs
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
The scoreboard in center will not change for a long time! That thing is only 5 seasons old, and is not very outdated. It is a 28x53 high def video board with 672 x 1280 dot density, what more do you want people?!?! As for whats ON it, I agree, they could change some of the computer programming to show more stats. I've always wanted to see how a batter is hitting over the past few days, in this series, etc, which is usually only displayed on the left field board during his first at bat. I think switching the LF and RF stat boards with the adjacent ad boards would be nice and would provide a big enough space to add all the information we need (non-lightbulb display of out of town scores, batter splits, and opposing team stats).

I want Mags back
07-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they've really changed any of the boards since the stadium opened up back in '91. They might have changed the screen on the CF scoreboard and most if not all of ads around it, but I don't think the rest of them have changed...or is that one in LF relatively new? Hmm...

yea the LF board is from '03 or so. the old one was smaller in screen size and had both lineups on the sides and umpires listed below

you can see it over this guy's shoulder
http://www.zackhample.com/photos/1998/zack_comiskey_park.jpg

PatK
07-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I'd rather have them keep the scores updated.

SOXfnNlansing
07-12-2008, 12:59 PM
they need to put a clock somewhere now that the fan deck blocks the view of the one there now.

A.T. Money
07-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow our park was pretty bad looking. LOL, you can really see it compared to how it looks now.

Those renovations really stand out.

As for the question of what more do I want? I want what KC has. Make the whole scoreboard a giant LCD like KC.

TomBradley72
07-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Our scoreboard "system" has to be one of the worst in the big leagues. We need a primary scoreboard that incorporates line ups, score of the game, video screen, etc. We need a few auxiliary scoreboards that can provide basics like R/H/E, who's AB, BB/K's, etc. We need an updated out of town scoreboard that show's runners on base, outs, etc. We need a clock.

Other than the big video screen...all of the scoreboard technology is the same as it was when the park opened in 1991. 17 years is a long time to not upgrade your technology.

A.T. Money
07-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Our scoreboard "system" has to be one of the worst in the big leagues. We need a primary scoreboard that incorporates line ups, score of the game, video screen, etc. We need a few auxiliary scoreboards that can provide basics like R/H/E, who's AB, BB/K's, etc. We need an updated out of town scoreboard that show's runners on base, outs, etc. We need a clock.

We have that in left center, and have auxiliary ones by each fair/foul pole. We have a clock. I'll give you the out of town one, that is still the original.

Other than the big video screen...all of the scoreboard technology is the same as it was when the park opened in 1991. 17 years is a long time to not upgrade your technology.

The technology has been upgraded, except for the out of town board. Have you been in the park in the last 8 years?

TomBradley72
07-12-2008, 01:43 PM
We have that in left center, and have auxiliary ones by each fair/foul pole. We have a clock. I'll give you the out of town one, that is still the original.

The technology has been upgraded, except for the out of town board. Have you been in the park in the last 8 years?

Mod edit: Personal attacks are not permitted here. It's a good way to receive a week's suspension.

Thanks to the fan deck and fundamentals area, you can't see the main scoreboard or the clock from huge chunks of the ballpark. The auxiliary scoreboards show some of the info I mentioned, but not all. NONE of the technology has been "upgraded" (excluding the video board)...everything you mention is the exact same technology we had when the park opened. Check photos from the year the park opened...nothing has changed.

scarsofthumper
07-12-2008, 03:58 PM
When I have time I might have to bust out Adobe Illustrator and sketch up some concept designs for a new scoreboard.

What i'd like to see is if they did some "throwback" styles, then bring THIS back, except make it a giant video screen

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../OldComiskey/scoreboard2.jpg

KnightSox
07-12-2008, 04:09 PM
The scoreboard in center will not change for a long time! That thing is only 5 seasons old, and is not very outdated. It is a 28x53 high def video board with 672 x 1280 dot density, what more do you want people?!?!More dot density!

Hitmen77
07-12-2008, 04:12 PM

....except that you can't see the one in left center from many seats.....and the Aux ones by each foul pole do not show R/H/E.

TomBradley72
07-12-2008, 04:24 PM
The scoreboard in center will not change for a long time! That thing is only 5 seasons old, and is not very outdated. It is a 28x53 high def video board with 672 x 1280 dot density, what more do you want people?!?! As for whats ON it, I agree, they could change some of the computer programming to show more stats. I've always wanted to see how a batter is hitting over the past few days, in this series, etc, which is usually only displayed on the left field board during his first at bat. I think switching the LF and RF stat boards with the adjacent ad boards would be nice and would provide a big enough space to add all the information we need (non-lightbulb display of out of town scores, batter splits, and opposing team stats).

If the centerfield scoreboard isn't "outdated" then it's just horribly designed. It's not even a scoreboard...it's a video screen with pinwheels on top of it. A very inefficient use of the space.

Brian26
07-12-2008, 05:59 PM
The encouraging part of this discussion is that some Sox fans actually go to the game and care about the score.

EuroSox35
07-12-2008, 06:03 PM
What the hell is up with clock in center anyways?? Everytime I've gone for the past couple years I've gone and it's out. Looks bad, like it's broken. I wonder if it's intentional, like they don't want an ump to know the time or something (e.g. got dinner plans at 10, let's speed this up with a few calls)

The Dude
07-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Yes.

Also, the main scoreboard is a bit dated now as many have said. I was in Tampa this season and absolutely love their main scoreboard! It had stats for basically everything possible! The updated ERA is great to see as it rises and falls throughout the game.

soxrme
07-13-2008, 12:10 PM
yes

scarsofthumper
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Remember too that the scoreboards have been in the same position since the park was built, and with Fundamentals and the Fan Deck, it's wreaked havoc on those styles, part of a reason why they need to change.

Law11
07-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I think they need to really think out of the box and go nuts.
This one always struck me as unique.

comet2k
07-14-2008, 01:31 PM
The only change I'd like to see is another World Series banner. If that happens, I can live with all the scoreboards just the way they are.

scarsofthumper
07-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I think they need to really think out of the box and go nuts.
This one always struck me as unique.It's a fine line, because there's a difference between unique and gimmicky.

Also redoing the outside wall could even change the dynamics of the park moreso as a hitter/pitchers park

Law11
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Have it be a giant sock in CF thats lets out a skunk smell when a bad call is made..

Viva Medias B's
07-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Have it be a giant sock in CF thats lets out a skunk smell when a bad call is made..

Don't let Hawk anywhere near the switches of that device, or it would create a hazmat alert in Bridgeport.

:hawk
"YOU'RE BULL!!! AND HERE'S WHAT IT SMELLS LIKE!!!"

Red Barchetta
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Remember too that the scoreboards have been in the same position since the park was built, and with Fundamentals and the Fan Deck, it's wreaked havoc on those styles, part of a reason why they need to change.

I agree. I like the earlier idea of replacing the outfield concourse lattace with brick archways similar to old Comiskey. I would like to take that a little farther. Add the RF upper deck similar to Arlington (love the look on TV) and then move the main CF scoreboard into the vacant area that would be between the Fundamentals area and the CF fan deck. The Out of Town scoreboard could then be placed on the roof of the new RF upper deck as previously mentioned on incorporated into the new scoreboard in LCF.

Just an idea....

dickallen15
07-14-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree. I like the earlier idea of replacing the outfield concourse lattace with brick archways similar to old Comiskey. I would like to take that a little farther. Add the RF upper deck similar to Arlington (love the look on TV) and then move the main CF scoreboard into the vacant area that would be between the Fundamentals area and the CF fan deck. The Out of Town scoreboard could then be placed on the roof of the new RF upper deck as previously mentioned on incorporated into the new scoreboard in LCF.

Just an idea....
I really like the upper deck in RF as well. The problem is it would block the view of the stadium club I believe.

cub killer
07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
For starters, redo where it says American and National and instead include a cartoon picture of a strong, young ballplayer next to the AL sign and an old, withered baseball player next to the NL sign (get it?).

instead of the retired numbers on the left field wall, put up a picture of the Chicago skyline, complete with blinking antenna lights for the Sears Tower and John Hancock.

The scoreboards are ok, but I want to see the fireworks actually come out of the pinwheel chutes like back in the day, instead of like 20 yards behind the ballpark. Just warn fans in the bleachers and spread the word that they should bring goggles if they're gonna look directly up at the pyrotechnics.

whitesox901
07-15-2008, 03:52 PM
If they could show more stats and make it look a little better, that would be good enough for me. But i've always wonderd why didnt they keep the original scoreboard and pinwheels from the Old Park?

skobabe8
07-15-2008, 06:40 PM
If they could show more stats and make it look a little better, that would be good enough for me. But i've always wonderd why didnt they keep the original scoreboard and pinwheels from the Old Park?

They did. Check in the bullpen sports bar.

anewman35
07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
But i've always wonderd why didnt they keep the original scoreboard and pinwheels from the Old Park?

Well, the scoreboard that was there when the park closed was far from the "original" one, and I don't see why they would have kept something that was just about 10 years old (so too new to be really historic, but too old to be modern).

DumpJerry
07-15-2008, 10:31 PM
According to our resident television technician (Fenway), there needs to be a very bright bank of lights as close to dead Center as possible for HD broadcasts.

This is why the night games at The Urinal don't look too good.

As far as the scoreboards are concerned, I think it was pretty poor planning by the Sox to make the people who sit on the Third Base side not see the main scoreboard with the lineups, etc. when they put in the Fundamentals Deck. My seats are on the First Base ide, so I have a complete view of the scoreboard, but the RF Foul Pole blocks my view of the pitch speed. IIRC, they used to show the pitch speed on the little scoreboards in the corners where they have the pitch count. Why was this discontinued?

For the out of town scoreboard, as long as it shows the other AL Central teams losing (or the one closest to the Sox if there are two ALC teams playing each other), I'm fine.

whitesox901
07-15-2008, 11:22 PM
They did. Check in the bullpen sports bar.

Well, the scoreboard that was there when the park closed was far from the "original" one, and I don't see why they would have kept something that was just about 10 years old (so too new to be really historic, but too old to be modern).

Ah, but how new were the pinwheels? Were those the original? and are they the ones in the bullpen bar?

anewman35
07-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Ah, but how new were the pinwheels? Were those the original? and are they the ones in the bullpen bar?

Not sure. At the very least, the colors and the center changed:

http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Scoreboard.htm

Nellie_Fox
07-16-2008, 02:11 AM
I don't give ten seconds thought to the out-of-town scoreboard when I'm at a game. I really don't need more than the score and the inning; I'm not trying to re-create the game in my mind, since I have a real one going on in front of me.

Extremely low on my list of concerns.

RowanDye
07-16-2008, 03:13 AM
I don't give ten seconds thought to the out-of-town scoreboard when I'm at a game. I really don't need more than the score and the inning; I'm not trying to re-create the game in my mind, since I have a real one going on in front of me.

While you're logic is spot on when considering the pace of a game pitched by #56 Mark Buehrle, it quickly deteriorates when someone like Jose Contreras takes the mound.

Contreras takes sooo long between pitches that I can easily update myself on the rest of the league and still refocus my attention before he even begins his windup.

chisoxfanatic
07-16-2008, 03:25 AM

It would be nice for it to at least update more regularly than seemingly every 30 minutes.

DumpJerry
07-16-2008, 07:35 AM
It would be nice for it to at least update more regularly than seemingly every 30 minutes.
It usually is. I've noticed that when people sitting around me are following a game on their cell phones and there is a score change, it always is reflected on the out of town scoreboard within 15 seconds. This suggests the problem is not the scoreboard, but the messenger which is not within the Sox' control.

roylestillman
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM

Didn't Steve Dahl but one of them and move to a roof top outside Wrigley? Its since been painted white and has that Harry caricature on it. The pinwheeels weren't on the scoreboard until Veeck's second coming in '76. I prefered the angular lines of the 60's and 70's board.

I do think the outfield back wall is due for an upgrade, but spare me from more of those over bright LCD screens. I can't imagine that stuff isn't annoying to batters and distracting to fans

hsnterprize
07-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Personally, I'd like to see all 3 scoreboards in the outfield upgraded. We get rid of the billboards, and turn most of the outfield display into L.E.D.-style digital stuff. Maybe the left and right field boards could be the all-LED-type boards that can handle both video and animation. The left-field board would have stats and such, while the right-field board would be the out-of-town scoreboard.

The center-field screen is nice, but let's not kid ourselves...it would be nice if it were a little bigger. I'd personally would like to see a center-field board still shaped like the current one, but laid out similar to the one at Progressive (Jacobs) Field...like this...

http://www.clevelandseniors.com/images/events/tribemedia-03-25-08/progressive-field-scoreboard.jpg

Now bear with me while I try to describe what I'd want this board to look like...I'd want it to be bigger than the board currently at the Cell. It would have to be big and high only to make sure the lowest parts of the screen weren't obstructed by the center-field fan deck. This board would be the main scoreboard of the stadium...with a layout of the line score near the bottom of the screen, and graphics, pictures, and other such items above it.

I'd want it with the pinwheels on top, and I'd want the other boards shaped like older Comiskey Park scoreboards, too. The left-field board would be shaped like the Diamond Vision scoreboard during Old Comiskey Park's last years (from the early-80's to 1991), and the out-of-town board on the right would be shaped like the just before the Diamond Vision...the one with the Sox-O-Gram on the top and such. Obviously, all the inner works would be digital, and I'd like for all the scoreboards to light up whenever a Sox player hits a homer. I think it would be a great light show. Many people like me were drawn to the Sox in the 80's because of how that center-field scoreboard lit up after a Sox home run.

So try to imagine the left field board shaped like this...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/scoreboard3.jpg

and the right field out-of-town board shaped like this...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/scoreboard2.jpg

The center-field board would be shaped like the current one, but laid out like the scoreboard in Cleveland...and BIGGER.

In short, it would not only be a great upgrade in scoreboard technology, but it would also be a way to pay tribute to the scoreboards of the White Sox' past. We all know the scoreboards are just as part of the team's history as everything else we fans celebrate.

Oh yeah...I'd want some short L.E.D. boards on the facade where the pinwheels are painted, and I'd want them to have a linescore display on them so everyone in the park can follow the score without having to turn their heads at funny angles.

soxnut67
07-16-2008, 07:27 PM

this is a photoshop concept I made about 5 years ago or so. The arched windows would have a concourse in between the windows on the (300 level?) & access for all fans. There would also be a concourse on the top. (500 level)

The scoreboard would also be bigger and have more pinwheels than in my photo and incorporate all information using led technology.

SALUKIS15
07-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Reading this thread has made me think of changes I would like to see done to the scoreboard area in general. I like the idea of bringing back the older style of exploding scoreboard, only with upgraded screen capabilities like seen in KC and Philly. I would also like to see the metal framework gone and brickwork in it's place. I did a little photoshop work and this is what I came up with. It doesn't show an upgraded out of town scoreboard but I think you will all get the gist of it.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/GOOTS15/StadiumRenovation.jpg

Region Rat
07-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Reading this thread has made me think of changes I would like to see done to the scoreboard area in general. I like the idea of bringing back the older style of exploding scoreboard, only with upgraded screen capabilities like seen in KC and Philly. I would also like to see the metal framework gone and brickwork in it's place. I did a little photoshop work and this is what I came up with. It doesn't show an upgraded out of town scoreboard but I think you will all get the gist of it.

Add some arched windows in the brick and that would look tight. I would love to see a giant scoreboard out there, looming over the entire field, and showing every stat imaginable.

soxnut67
07-22-2008, 05:59 PM

I love your scoreboard idea. That is very doable IMO. I'd love to see that with my arched window idea.

eriqjaffe
07-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I did a little photoshop work and this is what I came up with. It doesn't show an upgraded out of town scoreboard but I think you will all get the gist of it.

It'd be even more awesome if the Sox really did use a wallpaper I made. ;)

DumpJerry
07-22-2008, 06:16 PM

Looks real nice. Only problem is the Elgin Clock Company has gone out of business. (http://www.elginclock.com/Disclaimer.htm)

Dick Allen
07-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Camden Yards is slightly newer than the Cell, but according to my friend out there, they just recently upgraded their out-of-town scoreboard. He says it's tremendous, and he should know. Being a Sox fan, he spends a lot of his time when he's there watching the Sox score on the OOT board. It makes him sick when he's in Chicago and sees the Cell OOT board by comparison. I definitely think all the scoreboards should be upgraded, they just seem to give minimal information for the amount of space that they do take up.

SALUKIS15
07-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Here you are Soxnut, I put in the arches. Have to admit, I like your idea. Wish I came up with that one first :D:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/GOOTS15/StadiumRenovation2.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Here you are Soxnut, I put in the arches. Have to admit, I like your idea. Wish I came up with that one first :D:

Hey, that's pretty sweet!

Hitmen77
07-22-2008, 11:21 PM
:thumbsup:

That looks really cool!!!

Viva Medias B's
07-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Looks real nice. Only problem is the Elgin Clock Company has gone out of business. (http://www.elginclock.com/Disclaimer.htm)

Also, Budweiser is not the beer of U.S. Cellular Field. Tobacco ads are no longer allowed. And Union 76 is no longer in the Chicago area but they still exist out west.

ChiSoxFan7
07-23-2008, 12:21 AM
i'd like to see the time and the pitch count/speed much easier than what it is now. of all the planning how do architects miss that:scratch:

but really we should go throw back and stay with the hand changed green scoreboards. cuz afterall that's what "History" is made of....

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2008, 02:16 AM
...It makes him sick when he's in Chicago and sees the Cell OOT board by comparison. I swear, I'm amazed at the **** some people worry about. Somebody gets sick because the out of town scoreboard isn't as cool as somewhere else? Do any of you watch the game instead of watching all of the accompanying circus going on?

Seriously; I don't think I do more than glance at the out of town scoreboard during a game. It has nothing to do with my baseball experience.

Dick Allen
07-23-2008, 03:01 AM
I swear, I'm amazed at the **** some people worry about. Somebody gets sick because the out of town scoreboard isn't as cool as somewhere else? Do any of you watch the game instead of watching all of the accompanying circus going on?

Seriously; I don't think I do more than glance at the out of town scoreboard during a game. It has nothing to do with my baseball experience.Clearly to some, having a top-notch scoreboard is part of the ballpark experience. If we want to have as close to a state-of-the-art ballpark as possible, there's nothing wrong with wanting state-of-the-art scoreboards.

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2008, 03:12 AM
Clearly to some, having a top-notch scoreboard is part of the ballpark experience. If we want to have as close to a state-of-the-art ballpark as possible, there's nothing wrong with wanting state-of-the-art scoreboards.I just can't believe anyone seriously cares. I can think of thousands of things I'd rather the Sox spend money on than the out of town scorboard.

whitesoxwilkes
07-23-2008, 07:15 AM
I swear, I'm amazed at the **** some people worry about. Somebody gets sick because the out of town scoreboard isn't as cool as somewhere else? Do any of you watch the game instead of watching all of the accompanying circus going on?

Seriously; I don't think I do more than glance at the out of town scoreboard during a game. It has nothing to do with my baseball experience.

Same here.

My only beef is that sometimes the OOT score is 10-15 minutes behind what's going on in the game. I don't give a rat's ass about who's up and who's on base, I just want to know the score...especially when it goes final.

TomBradley72
07-23-2008, 09:57 AM

I don't anyone is going off the deep end...but based on my visits to 18 ballparks...our set up is the worst. It's great that you don't look at it...but alot of fans do..especially during a pennant race when up to 4-5 games on a given day are relevent.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2008, 02:30 AM
I don't anyone is going off the deep end...but based on my visits to 18 ballparks...our set up is the worst. It's great that you don't look at it...but alot of fans do..especially during a pennant race when up to 4-5 games on a given day are relevent.Fine. But all you need is the score. You don't need a "state-of-the-art" super trick electronic miracle that makes you proud to be a Sox fan. If it's fifteen minutes behind, I doubt that a newer board would change that. It can only display what is loaded into it.

soxnut67
07-24-2008, 07:09 AM

That looks really cool!

skobabe8
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
^^^^^^^ I love it! Thats been my vision for a couple of years so its cool to see it. I would only add some kind of structure built behind the scoreboard to make an entrance back there near gates 1 & 7. A 'Scoreboard Gate', especially so people getting off the el dont have to walk around the entire park to enter.

TomBradley72
07-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Fine. But all you need is the score. You don't need a "state-of-the-art" super trick electronic miracle that makes you proud to be a Sox fan. If it's fifteen minutes behind, I doubt that a newer board would change that. It can only display what is loaded into it.

I don't need a fan deck, or a fundamentals area, or statues of our greatest players either....but they add alot to the experience. I could live without more bells and whistles on the OOT scorboard...but I like seeing runners on base/outs on the OOT scroreboards at Miller Park, Jacobs Field,etc.

My biggest complaints are with the overall scoreboard set up...huge chunks of the park have no access to the full 9 inning line score, a simple R/H/E line score on the auxiliary boards, etc.

scarsofthumper
07-24-2008, 04:02 PM
To me there is just a ton of empty space out there where you could totally utilize it to your advantage. It reminds me of the episode of Mythbusters where they tried to float a boat with ping pong balls. They said that since there was so much open space between balls, that they didn't have much efficiency. It's a bit of the same case here.

We've upgraded every other part of the park, why not there?

oeo
07-24-2008, 04:09 PM

With the naming rights money gone (right?), we'd probably have to wear ads on our jerseys in order for this to happen.

BTW, I'm glad that design on the grass didn't last long...it sucked.