PDA

View Full Version : Why send Mags to steal 3rd?

MattSharp
05-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Add this to one of Manuels managerial errors. A leadoff double from Mags, and with Konerko up, 3rd in the league in RBI, and no outs, you try to steal third? C'mon. Thats so not a good call.....

Jerry_Manuel
05-09-2002, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Add this to one of Manuels managerial errors. A leadoff double from Mags, and with Konerko up, 3rd in the league in RBI, and no outs, you try to steal third? C'mon. Thats so not a good call.....

Certain players on the team, have the green light to go whenever they feel they can swipe a base.

duke of dorwood
05-09-2002, 07:48 AM
I don't think that was the manager's call. But it is another in a series of strange baserunning exploits by Maggs.

No-Neck
05-09-2002, 08:06 AM
Maggs has a habit of over-running bases, but should snap out of it as he matures into a veteran.

Some of his base-running is downright brutal, The same is true for Royce always getting picked off, but Royce should know better, he's been in the league a long time.

But nobody will top Mike Caruso in recent memory although I know one guy who's waiting in the wings... :versatile

Soxboyrob
05-09-2002, 08:49 AM
I think Maggs has a free pass to make decisions like this at his own discretion. In hindsight, it was a bad call on his part...but if he's safe, it's good, aggressive baserunning. Maggs has had good success at stealing third base in his career and probably figured they weren't paying attention to him, combined w/ the fact that a rightie was hitting and would somewhat prevent a good throw being made. Oh well, Sox won.

voodoochile
05-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I think Maggs has a free pass to make decisions like this at his own discretion. In hindsight, it was a bad call on his part...but if he's safe, it's good, aggressive baserunning. Maggs has had good success at stealing third base in his career and probably figured they weren't paying attention to him, combined w/ the fact that a rightie was hitting and would somewhat prevent a good throw being made. Oh well, Sox won.

According to JM, all players have a green light until they run into an out. Once they make an out when they have not been sent, they get their green light revoked - or at least that is the way it is supposed to be. Magglio made a bad decision - "never make the first or third out of an inning at 3rd base" is the oldest most basic baserunning rule there is. Witness the way it worked later in the game when he again led off with a double, but then let Paulie hit the ball to the right side and move him to third. Lee's double made it moot, but it was still a much better play than trying to steal 3rd with no one out. Even more so in a game the team is trailing by 1 run...