PDA

View Full Version : Gossage Hall Of Fame Speech

Lip Man 1
07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Just read an interview with "Goose" Gossage in the print edition of The Sporting News.

You all may want to watch the ceremonies. It appears it's going to be heavily laced with White Sox stuff. Gossage says he has invited Chuck Tanner, Roland Hemond and Dick Allen and also plans to include them as well as Ray Berres and Johnny Sain in his speech.

Naturally the only footage of Gossage that the Eastern Sports Programming Network will have of him will be in a Yankee uniform (they should ask me...LOL) but perhaps that night WGN will have something of him in a red pinstriped uniform. I know I've seen WGN run some old White Sox Gossage video when he was elected back in January.

Lip

southside rocks
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I remember Gossage and Forster as rookies. Wow, they were something to see ... I'm very happy that Rich is going into the Hall. I'll always think of him as a White Sox, no matter that he wears a Yankees cap in the HOF.

TomBradley72
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I loved Goose...when he wore the red pinstripes and again, when he let up Robin's legendary walk off grand slam vs. Texas in 1991. :cool:

itsnotrequired
07-11-2008, 04:42 PM
MLB.com always carried the HoF inductance speeches as part of their Daily Audio podcasts. They stopped doing those at the start of this year though. I'm guessing the speech will be up there somewhere.

Dick Allen
07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Just read an interview with "Goose" Gossage in the print edition of The Sporting News.

You all may want to watch the ceremonies. It appears it's going to be heavily laced with White Sox stuff. Gossage says he has invited Chuck Tanner, Roland Hemond and Dick Allen and also plans to include them as well as Ray Berres and Johnny Sain in his speech.

Naturally the only footage of Gossage that the Eastern Sports Programming Network will have of him will be in a Yankee uniform (they should ask me...LOL) but perhaps that night WGN will have something of him in a red pinstriped uniform. I know I've seen WGN run some old White Sox Gossage video when he was elected back in January.

LipWGN? No, only in blue Cubbie pinstripes.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I believe the Eastern Sports Programming Network still carries the ceremonies live on one of their channels. The induction will be on Sunday, July 27th.

Lip

The Critic
07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I believe the Eastern Sports Programming Network still carries the ceremonies live on one of their channels. The induction will be on Sunday, July 27th.

Lip
I prefer "Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network".
:D:

kobo
07-11-2008, 05:07 PM

Lip
I believe they show the ceremony on ESPN Classic.

Vernam
07-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I remember Gossage and Forster as rookies. Wow, they were something to see ... I'm very happy that Rich is going into the Hall. I'll always think of him as a White Sox, no matter that he wears a Yankees cap in the HOF.I distinctly remember, as a kid, watching Goose and Forster warming up, and some drunk fan yelling repeatedly at Forster: "Hey, Butkus!" Because he wore #51. :rolleyes: The guy thought it was the funniest thing ever. Some things never change . . .

It'd be awesome if Dick Allen is there, but I somehow doubt it. I'm glad Goose finally got in -- it's long overdue, and he seems like a great guy on top of it all.

Vernam

October26
07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I distinctly remember, as a kid, watching Goose and Forster warming up, and some drunk fan yelling repeatedly at Forster: "Hey, Butkus!" Because he wore #51. :rolleyes: The guy thought it was the funniest thing ever. Some things never change . . .

It'd be awesome if Dick Allen is there, but I somehow doubt it. I'm glad Goose finally got in -- it's long overdue, and he seems like a great guy on top of it all.

Vernam

We must be around the same age, because I was also a kid when Goose was pitching for the Sox on the south side. Gosh, both Gossage and Forster were impressive - being a kid then I thought they were both bigger than life. I remember asking my dad after both Forster and Gossage were no longer with the Sox, why we couldn't keep them on the team. His response: "We're a poor team with no money to sign good players."

So glad Goose remembers his time with the Sox fondly. I'll be watching the induction ceremony. Congratulations to Rich "Goose" Gossage on his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame!

Brian26
07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Whenever I hear Forster's name, I think of Letterman and his "fat tub of goo" crusade from the summer of 1985.

TommyJohn
07-11-2008, 07:43 PM

Lip

Oh, really? I recall chicagosports.com running a picture of him before the
election results were announced. They had him in a Yankee cap. What,
the Trib had no Gossage with the Sox pics in its archives? I'm not a
conspiracy theorist, but that was lame.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2008, 11:50 PM
TJ:

Got the video of it. I always tape the WGN newscasts just in case. They showed Gossage striking out two of the Oakland A's in their form fitting green tops.

Lip

TommyJohn
07-12-2008, 10:33 AM
TJ:

Got the video of it. I always tape the WGN newscasts just in case. They showed Gossage striking out two of the Oakland A's in their form fitting green tops.

Lip

Cool. Anyway, does a lot of footage with him with the Sox even exist?
There is the 1975 All-Star Game on mlb.com. (He pitched the 9th inning.)

Sox Supporter
07-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I remember a story I heard/read from Goose about Dick Allen. He pitched in a simulated game against the Sox as a rookie. Obviously, his stuff was legendary. Dick Allen goes up to Goose afterwards and said, "Kid, no matter what the temperature, always wear a long sleeve t-shirt under your uniform while you pitch". Goose, from that point forward, always wore a long sleeve undershirt under his uniform. Another guy who seemed to love Dick Allen as a teammate.

kitekrazy
07-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Didn't Goose start out as a starter for the Sox?

Lip Man 1
07-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Kite:

In the minor leagues yes. Read Chuck Tanner's WSI interview for more on how and why he and Johnny Sain moved him to the bullpen before the 1971 season.

He didn't become a starter in the big leagues until 1976, his last year with the Sox when Bill Veeck (according to Roland Hemond) suggested that both Gossage and Forster be moved into the starting rotation. Veeck figured the team was so bad, neither guy would be getting many chances to save games.

Lip

Lip Man 1
07-12-2008, 06:03 PM
TJ:

Some is still around, not a lot.

Lip

Lip Man 1
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
New Gossage story. Quotes Chuck Tanner who said he is picking up Dick Allen and they are driving to Cooperstown for the ceremonies:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080723&content_id=3179846&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

asindc
07-24-2008, 02:08 PM
We must be around the same age, because I was also a kid when Goose was pitching for the Sox on the south side. Gosh, both Gossage and Forster were impressive - being a kid then I thought they were both bigger than life. I remember asking my dad after both Forster and Gossage were no longer with the Sox, why we couldn't keep them on the team. His response: "We're a poor team with no money to sign good players."

So glad Goose remembers his time with the Sox fondly. I'll be watching the induction ceremony. Congratulations to Rich "Goose" Gossage on his induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame!

I remember Gossage and Forster were the only Sox at the All Star game one year. Don't remember the year, though.

TDog
07-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Kite:

In the minor leagues yes. Read Chuck Tanner's WSI interview for more on how and why he and Johnny Sain moved him to the bullpen before the 1971 season.

He didn't become a starter in the big leagues until 1976, his last year with the Sox when Bill Veeck (according to Roland Hemond) suggested that both Gossage and Forster be moved into the starting rotation. Veeck figured the team was so bad, neither guy would be getting many chances to save games.

Lip

Starting Forster and Gossage was old school baseball thinking, though, and for all his innovation, Veeck was an old school baseball man. Young pitchers started in the bullpen (as Mark Buehrle did in 2000) and worked their way into the starting rotation. But people were looking for Forster and Gossage to start and both started games before long before Bill Veeck returned to the Sox.

Terry Forster's debut was on Easter Sunday in 1971, cleaning up a loss against the Twins -- a game I attended. His second appearance was a start against Oakland a week later where he looked great until giving up a run in the sixth and another in the seventh. After getting out of a bases-loaded, none-out, ninth-inning jam in a tie game in Yankee Stadium, he establshed hemslef as a dominant reliever, but he started twice more in his rookie year.

Rich Gossage came up in 1972 at the age of 20. He had a very good rookie season in the bullpen, going 7-0 and was rewarded by getting the start for the last game of the season. Many fans wanted thought he could be a great future as a starter. I conventinetly got sick and stayed home from school. He pitched three innings and two singles, a double and a triple in the fourth without retiring a man. He only gave up the first nine runs in the 14-2 loss, but it skewed his averages a bit and provided a lousy end to a great season.

Gossage was a spot starter in 1973 and 1974, starting seven games in the next two years. But it wasn't until 1976, of course, when he enjoyed his only season primarily as a starter. That was the year when he won a complete game against Indians starter Dennis Eckersley. After 1976, he never started another game in the majors.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
TDog:

Actually according to a conversation I had with Chuck right after Goose got the news that he was elected, Tanner said the thinking in baseball in the late 60's / early 70's was that if you were a pitcher and went to the bullpen it was because you couldn't cut it as a starter. The bullpen was in essence a garbage dump for most pitchers.

Tanner said he and Sain came up with the idea of moving Forster and Gossage to the bullpen specifically because they threw so hard that hitters would have a difficult time readjusting to their fastball after facing an "average" MLB pitcher for the first six or seven innings.

At least according to that conversation I gathered that Tanner was saying what he and Johnny did was revolutionary for the time period.

You are correct factually on Gossage's only start in 1972. Both Chuck and Roland told me that Goose was badgering them both for a start and that with the Sox out of it, they decided to give him a shot hoping it might shut him up on that score.

After the performance, Goose was very happy to remain in the bullpen.

Lip

TDog
07-24-2008, 05:26 PM

Tanner said he and Sain came up with the idea of moving Forster and Gossage to the bullpen specifically because they threw so hard that hitters would have a difficult time readjusting to their fastball after facing an "average" MLB pitcher for the first six or seven innings. ...

Considering that Tanner and Sain moved Wilbur Wood into the starting rotation and believed in throwing starting pitchers (not just Wood, but Jim Kaat, Stan Bahnsen and Steve Stone) on two days' rest, Terry Forster and Rich Gossage wouldn't have fit in with the rotation. And their best fastballs must have looked overwhelming to hitters who had seen knuckleballs and breaking balls all day.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Remember though Wood was moved because of the pre season training camp knee injury suffered by Joe Horlen.

Both Joe and Chuck and Wilbur talk about this in their WSI Interviews.

Lip

TDog
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Remember though Wood was moved because of the pre season training camp knee injury suffered by Joe Horlen.

Both Joe and Chuck and Wilbur talk about this in their WSI Interviews.

Lip

I wonder if a 19-year-old Terry Forster would have made the team if Horlen hadn't been hurt. I honestly don't know if he was the last pitcher to make the cut in camp. Wood was the top starter going into 1972, Gossage's first season. The Sox released Horlen on the eve of the season, and he ended up getting a World Series ring after signing with the A's.

the funny thing is that at the first Chuck Tanner press conference after he was hired he said he was going to start from scratch with the Sox -- that Wilbur Wood could be starting and Tommy John could be relieving.

Vernam
07-24-2008, 10:46 PM
New Gossage story. Quotes Chuck Tanner who said he is picking up Dick Allen and they are driving to Cooperstown for the ceremonies:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080723&content_id=3179846&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

LipGot the DVR set for this. :bandance: Can't wait for Goose to recognize Allen from the dais -- probably the closest our '72 MVP will get to being inducted. :whiner:

Vernam

TDog
07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Got the DVR set for this. :bandance: Can't wait for Goose to recognize Allen from the dais -- probably the closest our '72 MVP will get to being inducted. :whiner:

Vernam

Maybe if he had played baseball the way he was capable and hadn't quit the Sox (literally said he wouldn't play baseball anymore) in early September of 1974, Allen would have put together a Hall of Fame career.

If one great season qualified someone for the Hall of Fame, Smokey Joe Wood would have been inducted decades ago. Wood didn't quit the way Allen did. He was injured, couldn't pitch anymore and came back as an outfielder playing in pain.

I enjoyed the 1972 season and Dick Allen immensely, much more than I did the 1977 season when the Sox weren't nearly good and not nearly as competitive. But there is a long list of people more deserving of the Hall of Fame than Allen, and most aren't deserving at all.

Vernam
07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe if he had played baseball the way he was capable and hadn't quit the Sox (literally said he wouldn't play baseball anymore) in early September of 1974, Allen would have put together a Hall of Fame career.

If one great season qualified someone for the Hall of Fame, Smokey Joe Wood would have been inducted decades ago. Wood didn't quit the way Allen did. He was injured, couldn't pitch anymore and came back as an outfielder playing in pain.

I enjoyed the 1972 season and Dick Allen immensely, much more than I did the 1977 season when the Sox weren't nearly good and not nearly as competitive. But there is a long list of people more deserving of the Hall of Fame than Allen, and most aren't deserving at all.I don't think it's an injustice for Allen to be left out of the Hall. But I do wish he were in there. I also think some of the attacks on his character have been unjust, even as I realize he invited some of that criticism. He's a complex guy, as the saying goes. He's also one who deserves a lot of gratitude from Sox fans, especially the ones lucky enough to see him play here. That's about all I was alluding to -- didn't mean to imply he's The Great Lost Hall of Famer. Those debates are so tedious.

Vernam

Medford Bobby
07-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Got the DVR set for this. :bandance: Can't wait for Goose to recognize Allen from the dais -- probably the closest our '72 MVP will get to being inducted. :whiner:

Vernam
My DVR passed on many moons ago, but I'll have the VCR ready to roll....Hey I wonder if the Sox during the early 90's ever considered bringing Gossage back just to link the different era's of Sox baseball. Or did the Sox considered him too washed up to help out?? (Lip...or any one??):scratch:

Lip Man 1
07-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Goose's last comments before Sunday. Teared up when meeting Dick and Chuck today. Didn't know Chuck has had some health issues!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080726&content_id=3200936&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

Lip Man 1
07-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Another great story! Goose roamed the streets of Chicago his first day in the bigs because he didn't have any money. Classic!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080725-goose-gossage-hall-of-fame,1,6847904.story

Lip

michned
07-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Nice speech, touched on his early years, mentioned Tanner, Allen, Hemond, Joe Sparks, and Johnny Sain. Choked up when he mentioned his teammates and coaches that are deceased.

And the shot of Bob Feller asleep during his speech was priceless! (He's what, 87? He deserves to be cut some slack!)

BainesHOF
07-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Great, well delivered speech. He called Dick Allen the best player he ever played with, and gave a cool thanks to the fans at the end.