PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu a'la August 2000??

Procol Harum
08-03-2001, 11:11 AM
The start to this string of games with AL "doormats" KC and TB has started off eerily similar to a string of games we had last August against, as I recall, Minnesota, TB, and Baltimore. Everybody thought that the Sox would beat the stuffing outta these bums and really wrap up the division. Unfotunately, I think we were lucky to manage a split--if that.

I hope we can manage to take 3 of 4 from Tampa but I'm skeptical--this team can't seem to win any "must" games this year. And such a shame, too--this division is eminently winnable if we could've fielded our best lineup. Ya hafta look back to those first 43 games--if we could have managed to come out of those even 21-22, instead of 14-29, we would be right in the thick of things now.

Paulwny
08-03-2001, 11:44 AM
How very true, the beginning of the season was a killer.

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 12:54 PM
Actually, I think its the 2 - 11 record vs. Minnesota. As many games as they lost, those were the biggest. If we could have managed even 6 or 7 wins we would be 3 or 4 games back now instead of 8 or 9. Whatever it is, I haven't looked yet.

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 01:02 PM
Actually, I think its the 2 - 11 record vs. Minnesota. As many games as they lost, those were the biggest. If we could have managed even 6 or 7 wins we would be 3 or 4 games back now instead of 8 or 9. Whatever it is, I haven't looked yet.

You got that right, Write. As poorly as we started, if we hadn't been Twinkie fodder all season we could have been in the thick of things.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:33 PM
You got that right, Write. As poorly as we started, if we hadn't been Twinkie fodder all season we could have been in the thick of things.

:hurt
If I was playing things would have been a tad different but I didn't play and we got our asses handed to us.

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 01:42 PM
What was the date that Hurt went down? It seems to me that we had him for at least one series against the Twinks.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:45 PM
What was the date that Hurt went down? It seems to me that we had him for at least one series against the Twinks.

I think it was sometime in May, I know he played in at-least one Twins series. I would say he played in about 3 games so he's missed what 10 thus far?

Bmr31
08-03-2001, 02:18 PM
Guys lets face facts. with all the injuries, we are an average team. Our record backs up this statement. Why should be beat up on kc and tb? we are AVERAGE.

Procol Harum
08-03-2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Guys lets face facts. with all the injuries, we are an average team. Our record backs up this statement. Why should be beat up on kc and tb? we are AVERAGE.

Agreed--if we're lucky we'll manage to finish 3-4 games over .500.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 02:25 PM
Agreed--if we're lucky we'll manage to finish 3-4 games over .500.

That would be a pretty good year considering all the health problems if you ask me.

Procol Harum
08-03-2001, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

That would be a pretty good year considering all the health problems if you ask me.

What's made it tougher to accept was the big run they put on in late May and in June--great expectations die slowly. If they had been playing win one, lose one, win two, lose two all along it would have been easier to dela with IMHO.

Paulwny
08-03-2001, 02:30 PM
Yea, the run in May and June raised everyone's expectations.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 02:31 PM
What's made it tougher to accept was the big run they put on in late May and in June--great expectations die slowly.

Ah yes High Hopes, Shattered Dreams

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Ah yes High Hopes, Shattered Dreams

I think you just found the new Sox slogan Jerry.

What about one for the Cubs...

False Hopes, Pipe Dreams?

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 02:37 PM
I think you just found the new Sox slogan Jerry.

I didn't do anything that is the title of a blackhawks (remember them?) video tape I have.

Paulwny
08-03-2001, 02:38 PM
Crack pipe dreams=high hopes