PDA

View Full Version : We are NOT losing 'The House That Ruth Built'

Fenway
07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe reminds us that the Yankee Stadium that is closing this year is NOT the one that opened in 1923.

We're actually losing 'second' Yankee Stadium

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/07/were_actually_losing_second_yankee_stadium/

Still thanks to the Red Sox I had fantastic tickets on sunday night so my son could at least experience the Stadium. You don't want to know what the face value of the tickets were. (luckily I didn't pay a dime for them)

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I've been thinking the same thing all season. The current stadium has only been around for just over 30 years. Big whoop.

nccwsfan
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
The second version of Yankee Stadium may only be 30 years old, but the history on the field is 74 years old and has been second to none in Major League Baseball. Ruth, Gehrig's retirement, DiMaggio's hitting streak, Maris' HR record, Reggie Jackson's 3 HR's in the Series, the 26 championships...it all happened on that field. I don't like the Yankees one bit but it's silly to try and downplay the history & legacy of that ballpark, even if it's 30 years old.

DSpivack
07-10-2008, 08:50 PM
The second version of Yankee Stadium may only be 30 years old, but the history on the field is 74 years old and has been second to none in Major League Baseball. Ruth, Gehrig's retirement, DiMaggio's hitting streak, Maris' HR record, Reggie Jackson's 3 HR's in the Series, the 26 championships...it all happened on that field. I don't like the Yankees one bit but it's silly to try and downplay the history & legacy of that ballpark, even if it's 30 years old.

I think it just depends on what means more to you, the stadium or the field. Sure, the events on the field may be the same, but the stadium was nearly completely gutted in 1973.

Fenway
07-11-2008, 12:29 AM
I kick myself for never having gone to the old Stadium as I certainly had ample opportunity to do so. Heck I had been to Parc Jarry and RFK Stadium and even Shea for a Pats-Jets game. Maybe I was scared off by The Bronx and all the horror stories. I finally saw my first Red Sox-NYY game at Shea in 1974.

Ryan is correct as it wasn't the same park as the playing field dimensions were very different. Monument Park was in fair ground as was the flagpole. The new Stadium did not have the signature fašade uptop the upper deck.

When I was a kid I actually thought Babe Ruth was buried in CF.

Still I have many memories of the remodeled Stadium from the low of Aaron Boone to winning the pennant a year later. I was there for so many epoc games and I got in the habit of going to The Stadium at least once a year for a non Boston game.

The Yankees will lose something moving a block away just like the Montreal Canadians lost something when they left the fabled Forum.

I will miss it.

I also will not miss Shea Stadium one itoa.

mark2olson
07-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe reminds us that the Yankee Stadium that is closing this year is NOT the one that opened in 1923.

We're actually losing 'second' Yankee Stadium

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/07/were_actually_losing_second_yankee_stadium/

Still thanks to the Red Sox I had fantastic tickets on sunday night so my son could at least experience the Stadium. You don't want to know what the face value of the tickets were. (luckily I didn't pay a dime for them)

Bob Ryan's piece is actually quite good. Do tell, though, how much the tickets would have cost...Good pictures BTW. It's too bad that the monuments are no longer in play.

MUsoxfan
07-11-2008, 01:04 AM
Do tell, though, how much the tickets would have cost...

Just by looking at the Yanks website, they were at least $325 each

mark2olson
07-11-2008, 01:04 AM

Mercy

TDog
07-11-2008, 01:08 AM
So, we lost the House That Ruth Built a quarter of a centruy ago? The configuration of Old Comiskey a number of times, so why was it such a big deal when the White Sox moved across the street?

Fenway
07-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Bob Ryan's piece is actually quite good. Do tell, though, how much the tickets would have cost...Good pictures BTW. It's too bad that the monuments are no longer in play.

Face value was $400 I believe the Yankees charge more for Boston, the Mets and the final homestand. I am surprised that Boston wasn't the last team scheduled for the Stadium as they opened the place in 1923. The last game scheduled there could be bittersweet because the Yankees may not know with a week to go if they will have any post-season games. They finish on the road at Fenway.

Sitting there you see close up how much foul ground there is from the plate to the screen.

Would Babe Ruth have hit 60 homers in the remodeled Stadium? Would Maris have hit 61? Unlikely. Of course DiMaggio would have had more homers in the newer Stadium.

My impression of the remodeled Stadium was that CBS and New York City were trying to make it a lot like Dodger Stadium. Steinbrenner had no role in thew design of the park as it was a done deal before he bought the team.

One thing they made no attempt to fix were the narrow concourses in the lower deck. Makes Wrigley seem like The Cell by comparison .
I hope Bob Sheppard can return before the season ends but the rumors are he is very ill at the age of 97.

Yankee Stadium III looks like it will be a showpiece.

DSpivack
07-11-2008, 02:08 AM
So, we lost the House That Ruth Built a quarter of a centruy ago? The configuration of Old Comiskey a number of times, so why was it such a big deal when the White Sox moved across the street?

Sure, Old Comiskey had the configuration changed quite a few times. It was still the oldest stadium in baseball when it was torn down. We did lose 'the House that Ruth built' 35 years ago (not a quarter century), but the Yankees still won 6 World Series titles in the place.

DSpivack
07-11-2008, 02:09 AM

Here's a better question: How much will those seats cost in the new place?

DumpJerry
07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Here's a better question: How much will those seats cost in the new place?
If you have to ask........

Steve Stone mentioned something about $5,000 for the front row, $2,500 for the second row.

Put me in row 3,429.

GoSox2K3
07-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Moving OF fences around isn't even close to being the same as totally gutting the ballpark's structure and rebuilding essentially a new park on the same footprint.

It's not like they even went the "retro" route in NY when they gutted the original. When I look at the current Yankee Stadium stands, it screams "1970s".

Cangelosi CF
07-11-2008, 09:19 AM
great atmosphere with the Red Sox in town. $60/ticket for obstructed view seats, the only obstruction was that we could not see all of LF so we missed seeing A Rod's HR go into the seats to tie Mantle's record.

the new stadium across the street looks good, will have much better amenities.