PDA

View Full Version : Graffanino starting; Ray benched

HawkDJ
05-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Graffanino will start instead of Ray and bat 2nd. Also, Sandy Alomar Jr. is back and starting.

doctor30th
05-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Benched isn't the right word, I'm sure he's been given the day off for rest. someon who brought his batting average up 3 points last night isn't benched. They are given a rest.

Spiff
05-08-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Benched isn't the right word, I'm sure he's been given the day off for rest. someon who brought his batting average up 3 points last night isn't benched. They are given a rest.

THE MAN SAID BENCHED. The bum is on his way out anyway, good riddance, let's get Hummel up here I have a HUNCH that he can do as well.

:ray

Get lost bitch.

(Feeling extra sarcastic tonight. :D: )

MattSharp
05-08-2002, 09:18 PM
It seems like not that we aren't relying on Ray to hit leadoff hes been getting a lot of days off?

HawkDJ
05-08-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th

Benched for the day is what I meant. I'm not dissing him or anything.

alohafri
05-09-2002, 08:49 AM
I would say benched. I was listening to Tuesday's game on the radio and it sounded as if Ray's second error was due to lack of hustle. That crap is inexcusable.

:ray How long do I have to sit here?

:jerry Until you have attoned for your sins.

Kilroy
05-09-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
I would say benched. I was listening to Tuesday's game on the radio and it sounded as if Ray's second error was due to lack of hustle. That crap is inexcusable.

If someone portrayed it that way, they are wrong. It was just a boot, and that's it. He was there and just misplayed it. Strangley enuf, that happens from time to time...

BuehrleACE56
05-09-2002, 09:02 AM
His two errors the other night were crap and he has been committing a bit too many of those. His hitting has been good but nothing spectacular. I hear that he is on his way out anyways because of contract issues. I like Ray-Ray when he is playing well and going hard, but when he slacks off he is just another ok player who doesn't mean that much. He has been given a lot of "days off" but JM don't you think?

Unregistered
05-09-2002, 09:56 AM
As much as i love a great conspiracy, apparently this is why ray was "benched" last night:

Ray Durham took batting and fielding practice Wednesday, but the second baseman didn't play against the Rangers.

"Ray's been bothered by his left hand,'' manager Jerry Manuel said. "I think it's bruised from batting practice. He could have played, but I thought I'd give him a break.''
Im not sure I'd look too much further into it...

the scorekeeper
05-09-2002, 10:07 AM
What are you guys complaining about?

Ray's hitting over .300, his OBP is almost .400, he's stealing bases, scoring runs, batting them in (on pace for almost 100 this year) and he's the good half of our double-play combo. He's having a great year so far, and a couple of errors don't change that.

Bmr31
05-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by the scorekeeper
What are you guys complaining about?

Ray's hitting over .300, his OBP is almost .400, he's stealing bases, scoring runs, batting them in (on pace for almost 100 this year) and he's the good half of our double-play combo. He's having a great year so far, and a couple of errors don't change that.

some people are never happy. ray is having a great season.

ode to veeck
05-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Sox lead the AL in DP, who'da thunk it?!

Ray Ray's dong fine, as expected, now that we have a real leadoff hitter-like we got two good players out of the deal

voodoochile
05-09-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

some people are never happy. ray is having a great season.

Haven't you heard? Hummel is way better and because he stays at AAA, the Sox are the only team in the league without a 2B who can hit .400, 50, 150 with 120BB, 160R while committing 0 errors and maintaining a range factor of 10 by singlehandedly covering both sides of second base and turning 185 DP's without the benefit of a SS at all...

Kilroy
05-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

Even with Satan still playing SS? How can that be?

ode to veeck
05-09-2002, 11:08 AM
made a deal with the devil, would make a good movie, let's see how it ends :D:

Soxboyrob
05-09-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

I would have...Garland, Buehrle and Ritchie seem to elicit a lot of groundballs. Ritchie and Garland throw a "heavy" ball and everything Buehrle throws seems to have a little bit of drop on the end of it. I've noticed that the Sox really have a lack of really hard throwing pitchers and those guys tend to elicit more flyballs than grounders.

voodoochile
05-09-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

I would have...Garland, Buehrle and Ritchie seem to elicit a lot of groundballs. Ritchie and Garland throw a "heavy" ball and everything Buehrle throws seems to have a little bit of drop on the end of it. I've noticed that the Sox really have a lack of really hard throwing pitchers and those guys tend to elicit more flyballs than grounders.

Excellent point - the style of pitchers does have something to do with the number of DP's turned. Royce is doing a solid job defensively also - probably the year of playing together has allowed him and Ray to find a comfort zone that they didn't have last year. Having a 3B with more range and a stronger arm doesn't hurt either...

FarWestChicago
05-09-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

If someone portrayed it that way, they are wrong. It was just a boot, and that's it. He was there and just misplayed it. Strangley enuf, that happens from time to time... :buddylee

Well, Ray has an in with the scorers, but he ain't in my league.

FarWestChicago
05-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Even with Satan still playing SS? How can that be? A lot started at third. :smile:

Iwritecode
05-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

I heard Farmer and Rooney say something about the Sox pitchers leading the league in not striking hitters out. I think they might have meant after getting 2 strikes. I noticed that a lot also. They get more pop outs or grounds outs than they do strike 3.