PDA

View Full Version : Retirement?

getonbckthr
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
We all like to talk about trades and free agency, so something new. Who do you think will retire after this season? I'm thinking Mulder (injuries), Schilling (age/injury), Randy Johnson, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz.

lukeman89
07-10-2008, 01:47 PM
i think randy johnson might stick around another year to try and get #300

palehozenychicty
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
i think randy johnson might stick around another year to try and get #300

He will try since he has a gigantic ego, but something will cut him short.

palehozenychicty
07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
We all like to talk about trades and free agency, so something new. Who do you think will retire after this season? I'm thinking Mulder (injuries), Schilling (age/injury), Randy Johnson, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz.

In light of what happened yesterday, he should quit. He's really just endangering his life with subsequent surgeries.

I know that he'll be out for this season, then try again in spring training. :(:

WhiteSox5187
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I think the big three of Atlanta's rotation in the '90s are all done after this year. Schilling is done, and even if he doesn't call it quits I don't think anyone would touch Mulder with a ten foot pole. I could see Johnson hanging around for one more year though.

Another guy who I think will probably retire: Jim Thome.

DSpivack
07-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I think the big three of Atlanta's rotation in the '90s are all done after this year. Schilling is done, and even if he doesn't call it quits I don't think anyone would touch Mulder with a ten foot pole. I could see Johnson hanging around for one more year though.

Another guy who I think will probably retire: Jim Thome.

I don't think Thome retires, he may get enough plate appearances to pick up the $13 mil option.

It would be kinda cool if Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux all went into the Hall at the same time.

What about the Big Hurt?

doublem23
07-10-2008, 02:08 PM
What about the Big Hurt?

I think he's done after this year. Wish he would have gotten 1 last AB at the Cell. :(:

RKMeibalane
07-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I think he's done after this year. Wish he would have gotten 1 last AB at the Cell. :(:

I agree. He's played well since returning to Oakland, but the injuries are starting to pile up again. The timetable for his return from the DL keeps getting pushed back.

We can still hope that Oakland faces the Sox in the post-season, and that Frank gets one last at-bat in front of his real hometown fans.

TDog
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I agree. He's played well since returning to Oakland, but the injuries are starting to pile up again. The timetable for his return from the DL keeps getting pushed back.

We can still hope that Oakland faces the Sox in the post-season, and that Frank gets one last at-bat in front of his real hometown fans.

He wasn't playing that well. Stats and a few highlights can mislead people. Also, he seems to be injured a lot. One would expect that both Thome and Thomas should retire after the season. They probably won't because of the money they can make.

White City
07-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Smoltz is worse than Favre. He is going to attempt a comeback.

salty99
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
How about Mike Hampton? Maybe El Duque too if he can't come back.
Also
Jose Valentine

Dan the Man
07-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Jose Valentin
How sweet it will be when Valentin and Big Frank enter the Hall the same year. :D:

The Immigrant
07-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Hopefully Omar Vizquel has enough sense to retire.

DSpivack
07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Smoltz is worse than Favre. He is going to attempt a comeback.

How is Smoltz worse than Favre?

He wasn't playing that well. Stats and a few highlights can mislead people. Also, he seems to be injured a lot. One would expect that both Thome and Thomas should retire after the season. They probably won't because of the money they can make.

Given stats don't tell all, but Thome has gotta a lot of flack here and his numbers are pretty similar to All-Star Crede. Thomas had good numbers in 28 games in Oakland this year--how we not doing as well besides them?

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Moises Alou
Kenny Rogers

TDog
07-10-2008, 07:26 PM
How is Smoltz worse than Favre?

Given stats don't tell all, but Thome has gotta a lot of flack here and his numbers are pretty similar to All-Star Crede. Thomas had good numbers in 28 games in Oakland this year--how we not doing as well besides them?

Thomas is hitting .319 since returning to the A's. he has had a couple of big games. He had a two-home-run game and a game where he was a homer away from the cycle but had to come out of the game on the bases after the A's built a big lead. He even has an infield hit that didn't make it past the pitching mound. At times, though, he has looked very old. During the 1990s, Thomas almost always had more walks than strikeouts, and usually it was close to double the walks to strikeouts. Now he strikes out more than he walks.

Thomas has nothing more to prove as a ballplayer. If he had retired when the Sox didn't pick up his option, he would be just a couple of years from the Hall of Fame, but I understand he had something to prove after finishing up his White Sox days injured. I thought he should have retired after last season. He will still get a few hits, a few home runs. But the Thomas now is only a shadow of the Thomas from the MVP years. When Babe Ruth played for the Braves at the end of his career, he had a three-home run game, but mostly he embarrassed his legacy. I saw Willie Mays playing for the Mets in 1973, and unfortunately one of my most vivid Willie Mays memories is not a big home run, a bases-loaded triple or a basket catch or throwing a man out at the plate. It is Mays in the Mets outfield tossing the ball to another outfielder who had a better chance of minimizing the damage on an extra-base hit.

If Thomas were still playing for the Sox, a lot of people would want to see him retire, just as a lot of Sox fans were happy to see Baines retire. As someone who watches the A's, I think the A's have a better offense without him. I get no joy from watching Thomas in an A's uniform anyway.

I had hoped Vizquel would retire before this season, but there was no way he was going to retire before breaking Aparicio's record. Now even most Giants fans want to see him call it quits.

Vernam
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Mark Prior.
Oney Guillen.

Vernam

DSpivack
07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
TDog: Thanks, I haven't watched the A's much this year. Darn!

TDog
07-11-2008, 12:36 AM
TDog: Thanks, I haven't watched the A's much this year. Darn!

Some people disagree with me, of course. If Frank Thomas hadn't been a special ballplayer at one time, but more of a Jack Cust-type, I wouldn't find it depressing to watch him play now. I doubt that anyone (save friends or family) ever got excited about going to the ballpark to watch Matt Stairs play. Matt Stairs is pretty much the player he has always been, but now Frank Thomas is Matt Stairs.

DSpivack
07-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Some people disagree with me, of course. If Frank Thomas hadn't been a special ballplayer at one time, but more of a Jack Cust-type, I wouldn't find it depressing to watch him play now. I doubt that anyone (save friends or family) ever got excited about going to the ballpark to watch Matt Stairs play. Matt Stairs is pretty much the player he has always been, but now Frank Thomas is Matt Stairs.

As long as a guy is still productive, I don't see why he should quit the game that has been his entire life. While he wasn't the same player at 39 that he was at 29 (though no one is) he wasn't bad in Oakland in 2006, he was still one of the better DHs around. He was absolutely awful in Toronto this year, and wasn't that good last year there, either.

TDog
07-11-2008, 12:47 PM
As long as a guy is still productive, I don't see why he should quit the game that has been his entire life. While he wasn't the same player at 39 that he was at 29 (though no one is) he wasn't bad in Oakland in 2006, he was still one of the better DHs around. He was absolutely awful in Toronto this year, and wasn't that good last year there, either.

Frank Thomas is in an unusual situation this year. Oakland can exceed his production at a fraction of his salary, but Oakland is only paying Thomas a still smaller fraction of his salary with the Blue Jays picking up the bulk of it. He is always hurt to one degree or another. Billy Beane didn't want to sign him to a multiyear contract for big money after he had a pretty good season with the A's in 2006, and I can't imagine he would return to the A's in 2009. The Blue Jays signed him to a silly contract, the option year of which they no longer have to honor. I can't imagine what team would sign a Frank Thomas who is always breaking down for Frank Thomas money next year. I don't think he has enough in him to be a fulltime DH anymore. Likely, he will sign an incentive-laden contract and stumble his way through another season providing only occasional highlights.

The best scenario for him would be for the A's to release him in September when they are out of the race to the White Sox after the rosters expand. Give him a night in a Sox uniform at DH to celebrate his career in front of the Chicago fans. That isn't going to happen. Billy Beane would demand a pitching prospect for Thomas. The White Sox to remain competitive have 40-man roster issues that would make such a thing impractical.

kitekrazy
07-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Thomas has nothing more to prove as a ballplayer. If he had retired when the Sox didn't pick up his option, he would be just a couple of years from the Hall of Fame

That's debatable. No DH has been selected to the HOF. He's recognized more as a DH.

He's probably the best hitter we will ever see come out of this organization. It's easy to focus on his HR's but he knew how to hit. He would go the opposite field with an outside pitch.

I wish we had Frank in his prime this year. That would be awesome.

TDog
07-12-2008, 03:26 PM
That's debatable. No DH has been selected to the HOF. He's recognized more as a DH.

He's probably the best hitter we will ever see come out of this organization. It's easy to focus on his HR's but he knew how to hit. He would go the opposite field with an outside pitch.

I wish we had Frank in his prime this year. That would be awesome.

I agree. But Frank Thomas will not enhance his Hall of Fame credentials by continuing to play (unless he does something special in the World Series this year, which is a longshot). What he has to prove by being elected to the Hall of Fame is based on what he already has accomplished.

Even the A's aren't going to get Frank Thomas in his prime this year. They won't even get the Frank Thomas they had in 2006. They didn't have Frank Thomas in his prime in 2006.