PDA

View Full Version : Sox Needs Down the Stretch?

PhillipsBubba
07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I guess the old cliche rings true...you never have enough pitching.

I think Javy V. will get straightened out but I'm not so sure about Jose Contreras. Perhaps Kenny is looking for somebody?

This would also provide good insurance in case one of the young guys falter as things move down the stretch. The question is, who is available?

Randy Wolf, Erik Bedard, Greg Maddux, A.J. Burnett?

(Cool...a battery of AJ and AJ):D:

Another speed guy who can play defense would be another plus. Ozzie seems to have good instincts regarding late inning moves where speed is required and the team seems to be energized by that kind of approach. It's an an exciting alternative to the base clogging thumpers we have (and love)!:smile:

MushMouth
07-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I'd mainly just like to see Contreras and Javy get their asses in gear.

I don't think we need anything really. We have to hope PK doesn't make the golden sombrero a regular thing, and hope Bobby comes back healthy. IF not, we might have to shift some things in the bullpen

aryzner
07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Their needs are to win many more games than they lose.

Paulie needs to start hitting after the all star break and also what one of the above posters mentioned about Javy and Jose.

Red Barchetta
07-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Their needs are to win many more games than they lose.

Paulie needs to start hitting after the all star break and also what one of the above posters mentioned about Javy and Jose.

I agree! I like the look with Wise in CF and Swisher at 1B. Perhaps Paulie and Thome could trade of at DH, however I know with the $$$ spent on those two players, that's not an option. Hopefully both of them will have a strong second half.

whitesox901
07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Broadway, I would have no problem if he was named a 6th starter, or replaced Jose/Javy if one of them cant get their form back.

KenBerryGrab
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
To stay healthy.

WhiteSoxBlog
07-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree with what was said before: Contreras needs to pull it together. Javi is young, and I'm sure he still has it in him.

And we need Crede to get his swinging back to normal. I know he's streaky, but this time, it's been going on for way too long and I'm ready for his average to spike up again!

PhillipsBubba
07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Past performance is a good predictor of future results...

Will Paulie, Crede, Contreras and Thome get "their asses in gear" based on what we've seen the first half:scratch:

WhiteSox5187
07-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Javy and Jose getting their act together and pitching like they did before is vastly more important than Paulie getting his act together.

palehozenychicty
07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Javy and Jose getting their act together and pitching like they did before is vastly more important than Paulie getting his act together.

The problem with these guys is that they're consistently inconsistent. Paulie will put up respectable numbers, or he could be gone in the winter.

btrain929
07-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Past performance is a good predictor of future results...

Will Paulie, Crede, Contreras and Thome get "their asses in gear" based on what we've seen the first half:scratch:

In my opinion, Thome is already getting his ass into gear. He just needs to keep it up.

Mohoney
07-10-2008, 01:52 PM
On June 1, Jim Thome's line was .207/.337/.420
Today, it is .241/.364/.481

The team's biggest need is for this trend to continue.

WhiteSox5187
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
The problem with these guys is that they're consistently inconsistent. Paulie will put up respectable numbers, or he could be gone in the winter.
Well my thinking is that we can still win the division even if Paulie still struggles, but even if Paulie turns it around and Javy and Jose still struggle, we might be in trouble.

ondafarm
07-10-2008, 01:59 PM
I think the All-Star break will do well by PK, can't hurt Javy and hopefully give Jose the rest he needs. Also Jenks needs to come back strong. If Jose is really toast, then the Sox have within system options, although I think strecthing out Masset might not be a bad one.

BRDSR
07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Broadway, I would have no problem if he was named a 6th starter, or replaced Jose/Javy if one of them cant get their form back.

Huh? So that half of our games were started by a questionable starting pitcher instead of 2/5ths?

I doubt the Sox are going to get a starter...they're just too expensive and Javy and Jose have not exactly been terrible. This isn't like our 2004 turnstyle of 5th starters who were like 1-13 at this point in the season. A bullpen arm is a possibility if Bobby doesn't get healthy, but I think he will; I think his DL stint is a combination of not wanting to risk him pitching on Wednesday, NEEDING a fresh arm out of the bullpen available on Wednesday, and the all-star break coming up. I fully expect a trade to strengthen the bench, a la Geoff Blum, but that's about it.

oeo
07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
On June 1, Jim Thome's line was .207/.337/.420
Today, it is .241/.364/.481

The team's biggest need is for this trend to continue.

And those numbers probably would be even better if he didn't have to take a week off for interleague. He was really heating up before that, then struggled again afterwards...now he looks to be getting hot again.

As for the starting rotation, I'm not worried about Javy. Contreras, OTOH, there is definite reason to worry about. Maybe he's just slumping, or maybe his dog died and he can't get over it.

palehozenychicty
07-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Well my thinking is that we can still win the division even if Paulie still struggles, but even if Paulie turns it around and Javy and Jose still struggle, we might be in trouble.

That we would. But since they're so inconsistent, we'll see enough good outings from them that will help us.

WHITE SOX PRIDE!
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
yes i agree, paulie will come around too

comet2k
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
In his last seven starts, Vazquez has given up 27 earned runs in 36.1 innings, 6.69 ERA. Contreras has given up 30 runs in 40.2 innings, 6.64 ERA. The team has gone 4-3 in both cases, but that won't continue if they keep giving up that many runs. They better get back on track.

bigdommer
07-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Randy Wolf, Erik Bedard, Greg Maddux, A.J. Burnett?

le:

Wolf - no better than a #6 starter in the AL
Bedard - on the DL; would take 2 of our better prospects
Maddux - he's done
Burnett - KW would never take the chance on his contract

Madvora
07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
yes i agree, paulie will come around too
I'm really starting to worry about the guy. He is terrible this year. He never really came around last year either.
He's our big money, middle of the order guy and we have to expect much more from him than this.
I'd love for him to come around again, but I don't see it happening.