PDA

View Full Version : Sitting In Open Seats

Illini Stripes
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Last Saturday, I went to the game with my son sorta as a mid-afternoon last minute decision...ordered tickets at Stubhub, rushed to get down there, stood in line at Will-Call, etc. I typically don't like all that rushing around without tickets in hand but it was last minute. We had a great time and saw a White Sox winner, fireworks, etc.

About the 7th inning, two rows down from us in 162 were at least 4-5 open seats...our row was packed...a couple big guys to our right, and more to our left...I'm not saying we were smashed but it was tight (lol). Anyway, up comes a family of four and just sits down in this open row with 4-5 seats, sitting in comfort!

I was thinking, that stinks. Here I rush and sit in my paid seats the whole game while these people just walk up and are now sitting in seats they most likely didn't pay for. So should I have said something to the "Andy Frain"?

I know this is small potatoes but it did bother me! Looking for everyones thoughts...

skottyj242
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
You should have went and sat in the open seats in front of you.

rocky biddle
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I think if seats are open the whole game, by the 7th inning they're fair game.

PopsBrechtel
07-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Andy Frain???? Boy are you showing your age :tongue:

I personally wouldn't have said anything. You could have moved down there yourself if you noticed that they were empty all game.

bigsoxfan420
07-10-2008, 09:44 AM

Right. I gotta say, I have no problem with sitting in open seats, until the rightful "renters" get there. I got the evil I from a group a few weeks ago, like we ruined this guys seats.

kevingrt
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Last Saturday, I went to the game with my son sorta as a mid-afternoon last minute decision...ordered tickets at Stubhub, rushed to get down there, stood in line at Will-Call, etc. I typically don't like all that rushing around without tickets in hand but it was last minute. We had a great time and saw a White Sox winner, fireworks, etc.

About the 7th inning, two rows down from us in 162 were at least 4-5 open seats...our row was packed...a couple big guys to our right, and more to our left...I'm not saying we were smashed but it was tight (lol). Anyway, up comes a family of four and just sits down in this open row with 4-5 seats, sitting in comfort!

I was thinking, aint that a b***h. Here I rush and sit in my paid seats the whole game while these people just walk up and are now sitting in seats they most likely didn't pay for. So should I have said something to the "Andy Frain"?

I know this is small potatoes but it did bother me! Looking for everyones thoughts...

Are you sure they just weren't late arrivers?

The Critic
07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Are you sure they just weren't late arrivers?
That's entirely possible.
I am an "early exit" person (usually the 6th inning or so for night games, and the 7th or 8th for day games), and every time I'm leaving a game I invariably see people who are just getting there.
I'm sure just as I'm thinking "you're just getting here NOW?" they're thinking "you're leaving ALREADY?"
:D:

I want Mags back
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Andy Frain???? Boy are you showing your age :tongue:

Assembly Hall still uses Andy Frain :tongue:

PatK
07-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I personally don't mind people that do that, unless they act loud or obnoxious.

Although I must say, I DO hate it when people do it early in the game.

Illini Stripes
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
I could have but I didn't feel it was the right thing to do.

stacksedwards
07-10-2008, 10:40 AM
If you are getting to a game in the 7th Inning you probably should not be going to the game

MushMouth
07-10-2008, 10:41 AM
On father's day, some jagoff was sitting in our seats in the top of the 2nd inning when we got in (had to finish off the sausages at the tailgate!), gets all indignant that we're claiming OUR seats, and says "OH YOU SHOWED UP, GAME IS HALFWAY OVER, DAMN"

hahaha, delusional ****

Law11
07-10-2008, 10:43 AM
I think if seats are open the whole game, by the 7th inning they're fair game.

Our rule is the 5th... Not that we move much anymore but that was always our rule.

TomBradley72
07-10-2008, 10:48 AM

I was thinking, that stinks. Here I rush and sit in my paid seats the whole game while these people just walk up and are now sitting in seats they most likely didn't pay for. So should I have said something to the "Andy Frain"?

Telling the usher would have been a complete jerk move. It's not hard to keep an eye on seats that are clearly open (people aren't showing up, or have already left) and move to them. If you're a ticket holder in that section...nothing bad can really happen.

Hitmen77
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I think open seats are fair game as long as 1) you promptly vacate the seats no questions asked if the actual ticket holder shows up and 2) you're not loud/vulgar/obnoxious or otherwise ruining the game for other people around you.

If you are getting to a game in the 7th Inning you probably should not be going to the game

Maybe they were previously at the Fan Deck....or at the Fundamentals area. :shrug:

btrain929
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
On father's day, some jagoff was sitting in our seats in the top of the 2nd inning when we got in (had to finish off the sausages at the tailgate!), gets all indignant that we're claiming OUR seats, and says "OH YOU SHOWED UP, GAME IS HALFWAY OVER, DAMN"

hahaha, delusional ****

I always try to sit in lower level seats as close to the action as possible when I see open seats. If they come, then I leave and look for others. But for them to give you some type of attitude, I agree, is ridiculous.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I always try to sit in lower level seats as close to the action as possible when I see open seats. If they come, then I leave and look for others. But for them to give you some type of attitude, I agree, is ridiculous.

Yea, early in the game is just stupid IMO. If ya move down later in the game(general rule is 7th inning in milwaukee), Ushers won't bug ya. If you are gonna insult the Ushers by moving down before that, usually you are gonna get caught.

Jaffar
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I went to the sat game before fathers day and had seats down by the RF foul pole and my section was about 1/2 full and my son and I had tickets 4 in from the aisle but with nobody around we sat at the end of the row. People kept filling in the whole game and around the 4th or 5th 2 people show up and are all pissed that they have the 4 seats from the aisle and I was in 2 of them, so we moved down to OUR seats and they went and got the usher only for me to show them my tickets. The guy was a dick and it was a very dick move.

WhiteSox5187
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
This is always tricky. I've done it a couple times and my general rule of thumb is that once the game is official, empty seats are now up for grabs. If the person shows up however, you have to move. Once on a night when there were fireworks, some friends of mine moved down to some seats that were empty the whole game in the seventh, with two outs in the top of the ninth, the owner of those seats showed up. I was fairly pissed.

Another rule of thumb for me is I usually stay in my general section, but will just try and move closer to the field.

skottyj242
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
We have a large group sometimes at the game and we like to sit with each other so lately we have been sitting in the left field corner in the back of the sections. It's easier for ten people to sit there and stretch out than trying to pack ten people into six seats in the second row of the bleachers.

IlliniSox4Life
07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I HATE it when you get to your seats and there are people sitting there who pretend like they are completely unaware they are in your seats and make you go through the trouble of giving them a hassle about it. I've sat in seats that weren't mine before, but I always watch for people whose seats I could be in. If somebody walks up and stops at my row and looks at me, I preempt them and tell them I'm in the wrong seats and I'll move. But it seems like every time somebody is in my seats they go through this whole charade of pretending they are right and I have to get the usher to check our tickets. Unsurprisingly their tickets are something ridiculously off where nobody could have mistaken these seats for those tickets.

skottyj242
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't remember the exact game but there was a rain delay and we stayed out in the parking lot until the first inning. Well we came walking in and there were a bunch of girls sitting in our seats. We thanked them for keeping them dry. Score.

spiffie
07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
This place has gotten soft. Where's the folks coming in and saying people are stealing money from the team if they sit in a seat that isn't theirs? The people calling for them to be ejected from the park?

WizardsofOzzie
07-10-2008, 05:43 PM
I've been guilty of this a few times in the last couple years. My tickets are usually in the bleachers but when ChiSoxGirl is in the crowd, I usually go and visit her. There's almost always an open seat by her, so we watch the game and chat and if the owner of the seat shows up, I politely move no bitching/questions asked.

itsnotrequired
07-10-2008, 05:56 PM
In 2006, I sat in my seats for pretty much every game. It was too crowded to jump around. In 2007, it was easy and I did it all the time. 2008 hasn't been too bad either. I don't recall having to move more than once or twice all season.

EuroSox35
07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
The other day I sat right by that guy who's at every game, in play view of the 1st base side/LH hitter up. He was sick of the sun!

Hey, maybe they were in the fan deck, sports bar, concourse, stadium club, wherever, I don't see the big deal though, the guy or an usher comes, then you just move, end of story

Cuck the Fubs
07-10-2008, 06:22 PM
We have a large group sometimes at the game and we like to sit with each other so lately we have been sitting in the left field corner in the back of the sections. It's easier for ten people to sit there and stretch out than trying to pack ten people into six seats in the second row of the bleachers.

Hey stay outta my section you thug!:tongue:

SOXfnNlansing
07-10-2008, 06:49 PM

amen to that. I was at that game and moved to sec110 to have a better view for fireworks.

DumpJerry
07-10-2008, 07:18 PM
I went to the sat game before fathers day and had seats down by the RF foul pole and my section was about 1/2 full and my son and I had tickets 4 in from the aisle but with nobody around we sat at the end of the row. People kept filling in the whole game and around the 4th or 5th 2 people show up and are all pissed that they have the 4 seats from the aisle and I was in 2 of them, so we moved down to OUR seats and they went and got the usher only for me to show them my tickets. The guy was a dick and it was a very dick move.
Jeeez. Mr. Uptight got his seats when he showed up, what's the problem? It's not like he got home after work and found you and your son in the dinning room eating his food.

A lot of the seats where I sit are sold on StubHub. Oftentimes I'll arrive to find someone in my seats because they got confused about what section they were supposed to be in (usually the one next over). I give them the count of three to get packing.

Cuck the Fubs
07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Oddly enough for the last 3 years running I have had the pleasure of relocating folks out of my seats every game.

I actually kind of enjoy it :tongue:

Blueprint1
07-10-2008, 09:00 PM
One time an usher asked to see my ticket when I moved up two rows. Our row was full and about ten rows in front of us were empty. She was just being a complete jerk.

Walker29
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I find it to be poor baseball etiquette to be a "squatter" in seats that you are not officially a ticket holder of. If you are not sitting in your proper seats, then you are bound to be asked to be moved by rightful ticketholder which means more people standing in the rows disrupting the view of the other fans who are sitting in their rightful seats trying to enjoy a baseball game, not a bunch of people playing musical chairs. My wife and I were at the game and she was eyeing a set of seats a couple rows closer, I explained to her my views on the situation of "seat-moving" by the 3rd inning, she was getting equally as annoyed with the large amount of fans in Section 102 that did not prescribe to the same anti-seat moving sentiment. If it were up to me, 1st pitch, butt in seat, or NO SEAT FOR YOU!!! :)

MrRoboto83
07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I hate when someone is in my seat and leaves all his trash behind for me to throw out in later innings. Nothing worse than sitting down and think you are at the Texas Corral with all the peanut shells at your feet or a nasty tray of cheesy nachos stuffed under your seat.

scarsofthumper
07-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't do this at the cell so much as when I go to Flyers games. Usually there are entire sections open and they never check tickets. hell, sometimes I just buy a lawn ticket and just sit in a seat, mostly cuz i like to walk around and talk with everyone and stuff like that.

A. Cavatica
07-11-2008, 12:06 AM
After the seventh they're fair game, no question. When I'm at the game with my kids I like to move around and give them some different views -- always trying the worse seats first, and trying to get as close to the field as possible by the ninth.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2008, 03:20 AM
For the Opening Night banner ceremony game of 2006, after the long rain delay that chased about 3/4 of the crowd home, several of us from here all met up and sat just a few rows up behind the Sox dugout. We were able to witness Thome's first home run in a Sox uniform from just about 25 yards away. It was awesome!

As long as you aren't making the experience of those around you uncomfortable, I say there's no issue in doing so. The only time I'd see a problem would be if you refuse to vacate the seat if asked by the actual ticket holder of your seat.

Steelrod
07-11-2008, 08:17 AM
I find it to be poor baseball etiquette to be a "squatter" in seats that you are not officially a ticket holder of. If you are not sitting in your proper seats, then you are bound to be asked to be moved by rightful ticketholder which means more people standing in the rows disrupting the view of the other fans who are sitting in their rightful seats trying to enjoy a baseball game, not a bunch of people playing musical chairs. My wife and I were at the game and she was eyeing a set of seats a couple rows closer, I explained to her my views on the situation of "seat-moving" by the 3rd inning, she was getting equally as annoyed with the large amount of fans in Section 102 that did not prescribe to the same anti-seat moving sentiment. If it were up to me, 1st pitch, butt in seat, or NO SEAT FOR YOU!!! :)
Glad it's not UP TO YOU!

skottyj242
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Jeeez. Mr. Uptight got his seats when he showed up, what's the problem? It's not like he got home after work and found you and your son in the dinning room eating his food.

A lot of the seats where I sit are sold on StubHub. Oftentimes I'll arrive to find someone in my seats because they got confused about what section they were supposed to be in (usually the one next over). I give them the count of three to get packing.

Do you tell them you're a lawyer first?

DumpJerry
07-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Do you tell them you're a lawyer first?
I save the heavy artillery as a last resort.