PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Score at Cell

Illini Stripes
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Does anyone keep score (pencil/score sheet) at the games anymore? I was there Saturday night and didn't see anyone keeping score.

itsnotrequired
07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
I only score games at home while listening to the radio.

soxgirl617
07-10-2008, 09:36 AM
There are several regulars in my section who keep score at every game.

beasly213
07-10-2008, 09:36 AM
I see some people doing it but don't really see the point at US Cellular with the scoreboard and all.

tebman
07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Every game. I just wish I organized my old scorecards -- I've got them in boxes randomly collected.

I enjoy doing it. I feel more into the game and it's genuinely helpful to me following the action. And I've got a record of the game as a souvenir for only a dollar.

:cool:

MeteorsSox4367
07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Every game. I just wish I organized my old scorecards -- I've got them in boxes randomly collected.

I enjoy doing it. I feel more into the game and it's genuinely helpful to me following the action. And I've got a record of the game as a souvenir for only a dollar.

When we were at the Sox-Cubs game at the Cell for the Saturday game, there were some girls in front of us with fake IDs. The one young woman asked me "Like, sir. Um, like what are you like doing writing stuff down?"

My brother responded, "He's a nerd. It's best to ignore him."

I've just always liked keeping score at a game. I still have Sox programs from games in the late 70s I attended as a kid (plenty of Interlake Straight-A/Perfect Attendance games against Texas and Cleveland.)

Luke
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I score almost every ball game I go to. It's terribly nerdy. Especially if I'm with a couple friends who keep score and we debate how to score a play.

Chez
07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Every game. I've kept the scorecards/programs from each game I've attended. My wife is a saint for letting me take up so much storage space.

skottyj242
07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Dusty Thrillkes keeps score at every game he has ever been to. He has books of the stuff probably still unpacked at the new home in the suburbs. (Ha ha, you live in the suburbs.)

Sox83Kid
07-10-2008, 10:55 AM

I also like the "cheap souvenir" aspect of a score card. Plus, it helps me keep up with the action on the field because I get distracted with the smells coming from the concession stands, and the pizza races. :redface:

I do get some stares for keeping score, but for the most part the people sitting around me are nice, and will ask how many K's the pitcher has, or who scored the last run, etc.

Cuck the Fubs
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I used to keep score, but I stopped......

However, reading through this thread has just given me a great idea the next time I take my 8 year old there with me.

I taught the little leaguers I coach this year how to keep score to keep them into the game while on the bench and it worked quite well, plus they learned how to score.

Next time out to the Cell with the lad, we'll keep score together and it'll keep him more tuned into the game!

soxfan13
07-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Dusty Thrillkes keeps score at every game he has ever been to. He has books of the stuff probably still unpacked at the new home in the suburbs. (Ha ha, you live in the suburbs.)

Your time is coming!!!!

gobears1987
07-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I score almost every game I go to. I was scoring the game on Friday, but I quit in the 7th inning as I was tired of filling in diamonds for the ****ing A's.

Huisj
07-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I started keeping score at games when I started going to them by myself. It keeps me totally involved in the game all the time, and I have much clearer memories of plays that happened in the games when I do it.

Plus, the first game I went to by myself happened to be Crede's walkoff homer against Cleveland in September '05, so that's the first scorecard I ever kept. Last year I also did it at the Thome 500th homer game.

I have people ask me now and then what the heck I'm doing, but it also seems to attract interesting conversations from more serious fans because they automatically assume I must know a whole lot (which may or may not always be the case).

On a side note, are they charging for pencils now at the Cell? They charged me extra for one last year, and it kind of bugged me. I mean, come on, I get 'em for free when I go to Lansing Lugnuts games, Tigers games, or when I go golfing. Why not at Sox games?

DumpJerry
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I kept score when I was a wee one (10 years old or so), but I find it distracting because you have to worry about seeing each pitch and you might miss something because your were writing something down.

thomas35forever
07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Every game every venue for me since I was 9.

UofCSoxFan
07-10-2008, 01:36 PM
My dad usually keeps score when we go....I don't do it much but definitely know how to. My dad also coaches freshman h.s. baseball at a pretty good program and complains to me every year how crazy it is how few kids know how to keep score....it truly is a dying art.

BTW...the only way to keep score is with a pen. Non of this pencil stuff. Be Bold. :cool:

nccwsfan
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Every single game I go to. It's part of my gameday routine and couldn't imagine watching a live game otherwise...

ohthosechisox
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I keep score every once in a while. I recently got a dSLR camera for my birthday, so I've been playing around with that at more games lately.

The craziest game I ever scored was the 20-14 debacle against the Twins last July. Who knows, it could end up being the craziest game I will ever score too.

lukeman89
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I keep score every once in a while. I recently got a dSLR camera for my birthday, so I've been playing around with that at more games lately.

The craziest game I ever scored was the 20-14 debacle against the Twins last July. Who knows, it could end up being the craziest game I will ever score too.

i scored a game which at the time was the longest 9 inning game in mlb history IIRC. july 1st 1999 brewers vs cubs at the urinal. my grandpa took me. flubs lost 19-12 :D:

Eddo144
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
I see some people doing it but don't really see the point at US Cellular with the scoreboard and all.
Keeping score supplements what is shown on the scoreboard. And personally, I think the Sox could include quite a bit more info on the boards (why limit to AVG, HR, RBI, and walks?).

My mom keeps score of every single game she goes to. Of course, the one scorecard she can't find anywhere is the one from Game One of the World Series. :(:

whitesox901
07-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I dont do it, but I would really like to start, going with my dad to see Texas on the 22nd, maybe ask him to teach me

KenBerryGrab
07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I used to all the time, but it's harder when you've got young kids along.

My brother is notorious for starting a card and then handing it to you when he goes on a top-half bathroom break. Quite annoying.

SOXfnNlansing
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I keep score when I go to the game with my son. We only do it when it's $1. Some games they jack up the card to $4:angry:

ChiSoxGirl
07-11-2008, 01:15 AM
I score probably 95% of the games I attend, and I also track pitches when I'm scoring in a book. When I go to another ballpark, I buy a scorecard, rather than keeping it in the book I score the Sox games in. I like having the scorecard as a souvenir. Scoring games has gotten me one "marriage proposal" this season and one "You're going to make some guy very happy one day" comment a few years ago.

As for using a pencil, I've never used anything else. I only know one guy who uses a pen when he scores and he's the smartest baseball mind I've ever met.

Fenway
07-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Does anyone keep score (pencil/score sheet) at the games anymore? I was there Saturday night and didn't see anyone keeping score.

I used to and stopped maybe 5 years ago. I think having access to the box score on the net may be the reason I stopped.

PatK
07-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I used to all the time, but it's harder when you've got young kids along.

My brother is notorious for starting a card and then handing it to you when he goes on a top-half bathroom break. Quite annoying.

That's one reason why I try not to drink at the games, I don't want whoever I hand off my scorecard to when I go to the bathroom to screw it up.

Chez
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM

I taught my wife how to keep score to handle those situations! :D:

tacosalbarojas
07-11-2008, 01:37 PM
I do this for every game I attend, unless I'm with a large group. I don't mind looking like a nerd in front of one friend (they are aware of this fact anyhow) but in a large group of three or more, it does seem a little anti-social, so I'll put up the book in those situations and enjoy the convo.

Hitmenof77
07-11-2008, 02:41 PM
A good article about keeping score at Dodger Stadium.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-scoring11-2008jul11,0,7653799.story

ondafarm
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I know when a team sends a couple of scouts (as in three) one guy almost always scores the game. Most scouts that I've worked with (a former teammate of mine scouts the Carolina, Southern and International Leagues for the Dragons) actually just record the game (as in speak into a tape recorder after each pitch/play) and then listen in and then keep score later at the hotel room. It helps because you are almost always especially looking at just a couple of guys and you want to keep special notes about their positioning on defense and their at-bats. With pitchers you are scouting you do each pitch by speed, type, location and result.

cards press box
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I sometimes keep score of games I attend. Late in the season during a pennant race, I might even keep score of a game that I hear on the radio (to ensure that I pay attention). I almost never keep a scorecard, unless the game is very memorable (e.g., I have scorecards for all four World Series games in 2005, including Game 1, which I attended.)

Brian26
07-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I only know one guy who uses a pen when he scores and he's the smartest baseball mind I've ever met.

Why, thank you. :D:

Brian26
07-11-2008, 08:50 PM
BTW...the only way to keep score is with a pen. Non of this pencil stuff. Be Bold. :cool:

I keep score and do crosswords with a pen. An eraser is for the weak.

FourStarsTwoBars
07-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I ridicule those who's scorekeeping methods vary from mine.:D:

Brian26
07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Plus, the first game I went to by myself happened to be Crede's walkoff homer against Cleveland in September '05, so that's the first scorecard I ever kept.

That was a good night to be alive.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/White%20Sox%20Stuff/DSCN1744.jpg

Last year I also did it at the Thome 500th homer game.

A good day at the ballpark.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/White%20Sox%20Stuff/DSCN1745.jpg

The best all-time scorecard I've had the pleasure of keeping was the 2006 20-run beatdown of the Cardinals:

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/White%20Sox%20Stuff/DSCN1746.jpg

nccwsfan
07-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Brian26....:tiphat:

Those have to be the cleanest scorecards I've ever seen. Some nights I end up with a tattered scorecard with eraser marks, rewrites, and ocassionally mustard stains. Hats off to you- these look great!

Brian26
07-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Brian26....:tiphat:

Those have to be the cleanest scorecards I've ever seen. Some nights I end up with a tattered scorecard with eraser marks, rewrites, and ocassionally mustard stains. Hats off to you- these look great!

I admit I used some white-out on the Cardinals scorecard when I got home to clean up a couple of mistakes I made.

whitesoxwilkes
07-11-2008, 10:28 PM

Not quite every, but about 95% or so of games since I was 14. Best thing my grandfather ever taught me.

I have a couple hundred scorecards and 6 or 7 books full. I just unpacked the last box of them last weekend..mostly stuff from 1999-2002.

Brian26, TornLabrum and I all use the Rawlings Scoremaster. My handwriting is ****ing awful and I scribble notes about the game in the margins of the card.

I have mastered the art of talking, watching and drinking all at the same time. At Yankee Stadium last month some girl and her boyfriend bitched at me and my friend because we were "talking about everything but the game." I promptly showed them my accurate, up to date card and they were dead silent from then on.

Viva Medias B's
07-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I do keep score at baseball games I attend.

ChiSoxGirl
07-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Why, thank you. :D:

I should've put a disclaimer in my original post that said the smartest baseball mind I've ever met isn't a member of this board. :cool:

If you would've been weak and scored that 20-run Sox/Cardinals game with a pencil, there would've been no need for that whiteout. :wink:

AnkleSox
07-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I haven't kept score in years, but when I did, it would be on occasion when watching the game from home. When I go to the game I find it to be an experience to just take in and enjoy. And to be honest, I do sometimes like to socialize at the game. Not to a wrigleyville don't pay any attention to the game extent, but the real point to go to a ballgame is to have a good time and be with friends and/or family.

Although since i'm 26-0 at sox games since AJ's 05 walkoff against the dodgers, I guess I just kind of assume we're gonna win whenever I'm there :D:

ondafarm
07-12-2008, 12:09 AM
I haven't kept score in years, but when I did, it would be on occasion when watching the game from home. When I go to the game I find it to be an experience to just take in and enjoy. And to be honest, I do sometimes like to socialize at the game. Not to a wrigleyville don't pay any attention to the game extent, but the real point to go to a ballgame is to have a good time and be with friends and/or family.

Although since i'm 26-0 at sox games since AJ's 05 walkoff against the dodgers, I guess I just kind of assume we're gonna win whenever I'm there :D:

Is there any way we could convince you to become a season ticket holder?

jenn2080
07-12-2008, 12:48 AM
My brother and I keep score more at a day game when we just want to chill and relax.

I will say Wilkes' wife is just as good at keeping score as he is.

soxwon
07-12-2008, 07:16 PM
The greatest thing a father can teach a child, is to learn to keep score.
my father taught me in 1964 i was 8 years old, and ive kept score at every game ive been too, incluing spring traing games, over 600 games.
i have all my scorecards from 1980 on.
Its my pride and joy, i dont complete every game often, sometimes giving up due to too much beer. i even have ticket stubs, which i typed out on excel.
Thank you Dad for giving me the gift of keeping score.

ilsox7
07-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Keeping score with pen and paper is for the weak. I keep score in my head.

whitesoxwilkes
07-13-2008, 05:09 PM
The greatest thing a father can teach a child, is to learn to keep score.
my father taught me in 1964 i was 8 years old, and ive kept score at every game ive been too, incluing spring traing games, over 600 games.
i have all my scorecards from 1980 on.
Its my pride and joy, i dont complete every game often, sometimes giving up due to too much beer. i even have ticket stubs, which i typed out on excel.
Thank you Dad for giving me the gift of keeping score.

DA REVERAND scores games on stone tablets and they are written as law.

Bucky F. Dent
07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I always keep score of games I go to.

Learned it from my dad, and one day I'll teach my son.