PDA

View Full Version : New Sox commercial

thomas35forever
07-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Who's seen the new Sox commercial with AJ and Mayor Daley? Brooks wasn't kidding when he said we'd love the new one.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Who's seen the new Sox commercial with AJ and Mayor Daley? Brooks wasn't kidding when he said we'd love the new one.I've seen it. Did I love it? I'll just say that politics should go to the PI board.

grv1974
07-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I've actually thought all of those commercials have been dumb except for the original Paulie "I don't run, I trot" one.

Boondock Saint
07-10-2008, 12:36 AM
I've actually thought all of those commercials have been dumb except for the original Paulie "I don't run, I trot" one.

I thought "He gone!" was hilarious...

grv1974
07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
I thought "He gone!" was hilarious...

Oh yeah, the one with the UPS guy. I forgot about that one. The funny thing about that is how many UPS guys ring the bell over and over. They usually just ring it once and leave it on the porch. (I guess it was for the sake of the commerical.)

Stringer
07-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I've loved them all

:hawk

Dye with a catch

Swisher with a worm

I can't stand

sox102
07-10-2008, 08:00 AM
These commercials are stupid.

I saw the new AJ one. It's not even him when they show the actual bunt.

ilsox7
07-10-2008, 08:02 AM
I'd give the television ad campaign an F this year. Simply awful.

South Side Irish
07-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I agree - I'm not that impressed with the ad campaign this year. Very amateur to me. They've been far better the last couple of years.

Harry Potter
07-10-2008, 08:51 AM
I agree - I'm not that impressed with the ad campaign this year. Very amateur to me. They've been far better the last couple of years.

Oh how I miss the TwoByFour era...

dwalteroo
07-10-2008, 08:51 AM
I pretty much enjoy the TV ads this year as some sort of ironic humor. They are so bad, they are funny.

skottyj242
07-10-2008, 08:55 AM
I've loved them all

:hawk

Dye with a catch

Swisher with a worm

I can't stand

I have to agree.

BeviBall!
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I think they only went through about 3 games and had to make these awful ads from that select bit of footage. You can see a Judy Garland growing/shrinking hair moment in each ad.

Bring back Greg Norton making a PB&J sandwich in seductive B&W.

Rocky Soprano
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM

I thought that was the worst one of them all.
I totally agree that the ads have been really bad this year.

scarsofthumper
07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I'll take that ad over Ozzie rapping ANY DAY

peeonwrigley
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Needs more Red Foreman

daveeym
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Suntimes (http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1049036,CST-FIN-lazare10.article) has it. Oddly enought this was a link in the trib's daywatch email. They also linked to the suntimes for an article on Mike North. :?:

Thome25
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with that commercial. I actually enjoyed it.:D:

btrain929
07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I've thought most of them have been pretty good. I just don't get the AJ one, though. And the editing of the bunt scenes was terrible.

Also, with the Thome one hitting it through the target, you can tell in the commercial that in the real game he actually hits that homer to LF, not RF. Why would you choose a clip where Thome hits a homer to RF, when there's plenty to choose from of him hitting it to LF?

Weird.....

Rocky Soprano
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I've thought most of them have been pretty good. I just don't get the AJ one, though. And the editing of the bunt scenes was terrible.

Also, with the Thome one hitting it through the target, you can tell in the commercial that in the real game he actually hits that homer to LF, not RF. Why would you choose a clip where Thome hits a homer to RF, when there's plenty to choose from of him hitting it to LF?

Weird.....

In the Thome one, you have a girl catching the HR ball, yet the girl is not sitting behind the target, she is sitting to the left of where the ball goes through. How the hell does that happen?

btrain929
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
In the Thome one, you have a girl catching the HR ball, yet the girl is not sitting behind the target, she is sitting to the left of where the ball goes through. How the hell does that happen?

Hahahaha exactly. The editing of scenes of most of them is pretty bad and unrealistic.

lonestar101285
07-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I miss the Win or Die Trying campaign (it was the last time I saw Shingo) and the Red Forman spots the next year were good as well.

Wish I could find the commercials for the former online.

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Who's seen the new Sox commercial with AJ and Mayor Daley? Brooks wasn't kidding when he said we'd love the new one.

I actually know how this idea for this video came about. So, it was 6/15 Sox/COL. I was in my Scout Seats. The mayor is in his seats (Pretty close to mine, 136 row 2). AJ is on-deck. I see AJ turn his head towards the mayor. I can actually here what he was saying. He was like "You should be in our next commercial!" The mayor laughed. But hey, he is and it is with AJ! The first time I saw the ad, I could not believe it just because I remember AJ asking the mayor this.

Ragator43
07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I actually know how this idea for this video came about. So, it was 6/15 Sox/COL. I was in my Scout Seats. The mayor is in his seats (Pretty close to mine, 136 row 2). AJ is on-deck. I see AJ turn his head towards the mayor. I can actually here what he was saying. He was like "You should be in our next commercial!" The mayor laughed. But hey, he is and it is with AJ! The first time I saw the ad, I could not believe it just because I remember AJ asking the mayor this.

AJ, being the smartass we all know and love, said that because Daley shot his scene for the commercial the day before.

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 11:30 AM
AJ, being the smartass we all know and love, said that because Daley shot his scene for the commercial the day before.

Oh, thanks. It still was funny to see that and then see the commercial.

whitesoxwin
07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Commercials for the most part have been waaaaayyyy too much this year.
The Paulie one "I trot" was kind of cool when it first was shown.
Enough of anything w/ the voices of "Hawk" or "DJ"...I do not get excited by the Sox announcers.
Too much of this WAS my life...and not enough of what is going on during the game.
As long as I am venting....let's get another organist for night games when Nancy Faust is off and get rid of the really stupid and corny "canned" music!
Lets go SOX!!

lonestar101285
07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Commercials for the most part have been waaaaayyyy too much this year.
The Paulie one "I trot" was kind of cool when it first was shown.
Enough of anything w/ the voices of "Hawk" or "DJ"...I do not get excited by the Sox announcers.
Too much of this WAS my life...and not enough of what is going on during the game.
As long as I am venting....let's get another organist for night games when Nancy Faust is off and get rid of the really stupid and corny "canned" music!
Lets go SOX!!

I agree completely, you can especially feel a need for it after a White Sox player hits a home run.

I am just so used to the organ playing that familiar song as a Sox player rounds the bases. It's just not the same

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree completely, you can especially feel a need for it after a White Sox player hits a home run.

I am just so used to the organ playing that familiar song as a Sox player rounds the bases. It's just not the same

True. However, I wold rather have Nancy part-time then somebody else filling in on the night games.

whitesoxwin
07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
True. However, I wold rather have Nancy part-time then somebody else filling in on the night games.
Hey, I bet there are Sox Fans out there who share a similar feeling for the instrument and respect White Sox tradition.
Too bad Brooks could not come up with a contest to fill in...Nancy could be the Judge!
Why not???
Heck, the Flubs keep bringing out a "stuffed" Harry ..JUST A JOKE FOLKS!!..at the 7th inning stretch with their "Guest Conductors".

thomas35forever
07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
According to the Sun-Times, it looks like this newest commercial is also the last for this campaign. Guess we'll be seeing the same ones for the rest of the yer?:scratch:

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
According to the Sun-Times, it looks like this newest commercial is also the last for this campaign. Guess we'll be seeing the same ones for the rest of the yer?:scratch:

Or maybe not. Just like last season, we had 2 (Back to the Grind and We Are Chicago Baseball). So, we may have another sub-campaign from Share the Passion, Show the Swagger.

JermaineDye05
07-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I just love the commercial simply for Hawks call from that game when FIELDS laid down the bunt. "THROWS IT AWAY! THROWS THE BALL AWAY!!! IT'S AMAZING SOMETIMES WHAT A BUNT WILL DO!"

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey, I bet there are Sox Fans out there who share a similar feeling for the instrument and respect White Sox tradition.
Too bad Brooks could not come up with a contest to fill in...Nancy could be the Judge!
Why not???
Heck, the Flubs keep bringing out a "stuffed" Harry ..JUST A JOKE FOLKS!!..at the 7th inning stretch with their "Guest Conductors".

Thank you for respecting my opinion. I just like to keep the tradition of Nancy...NO ONE BUT HER! However, if we did get a night game organ player, your idea of having a competition help by Nancy and Brooks would really be the best idea. I am not joking. That really is a great idea!

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I just love the commercial simply for Hawks call from that game when FIELDS laid down the bunt. "THROWS IT AWAY! THROWS THE BALL AWAY!!! IT'S AMAZING SOMETIMES WHAT A BUNT WILL DO!"

Me too! BEST part of the whole entire ad. I was at that game (Vs. DET) sitting right behind the dugout and I was going crazy when Pods was running. Pretty close from when he came back from the DL (1st game was 2nd game vs. Cubs). I have my pictures from that game up here.

#1swisher
07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I like all ads/commercials with white sox players. keep them coming. I would like to have more signing events around the chi area as well. Promote the White Sox 24/7:D:

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I like all ads/commercials with white sox players. keep them coming. I would like to have more signing events around the chi area as well. Promote the White Sox 24/7:D:

Oh hell yeah I promote the White Sox 24/7!

russ99
07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Well IMO it's a very good concept, just poorly executed, especially so for such a big shop.

They should have either filmed it all at the park or on a soundstage, as the green-screen parts of the ad make the whole thing look like amateur night.

Hopefully the Sox get what they pay excessively for next year.

BA Fan Club Pres
07-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Are you serious?!! That ad spot is quite possibly the wost one so far.

FedEx227
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Well IMO it's a very good concept, just poorly executed, especially so for such a big shop.

They should have either filmed it all at the park or on a soundstage, as the green-screen parts of the ad make the whole thing look like amateur night.

Hopefully the Sox get what they pay excessively for next year.

Yes, they are all pretty poorly edited and just too goofy. I like my share of goofy, but I think a more serious one gets people more excited. Win or Die Tying was serious and it worked amazingly.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-10-2008, 05:57 PM
I think the sign instead should've said "Run on a dropped third strike."

whitesox901
07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Are you serious?!! That ad spot is quite possibly the wost one so far.

Second that motion,

Stringer
07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
you guys

:rolleyes:

AnkleSox
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I hate the new ads. I find them extremely cheesy, but not in a good way, and I also think the editing is terrible. Personally, I wish they didn't have to advertise at all but given their status in the city I understand the need.

Was I just too drunk that year or am I the only one that doesn't remember the Red Foreman ads that are being talked about. Can someone refresh my memory?

CLR01
07-10-2008, 07:44 PM

It reminds me of Carlos Lee shouting "boom". :thumbsdown:

EuroSox35
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
:rolleyes: Duh, the editing is like that on purpose.