PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox balk at losing to the Royals 7/9 Postgame Thread

Sockinchisox
07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Great job by OD and TCQ!

MushMouth
07-09-2008, 09:57 PM
great to see Octavio lock it down - gorgeous 9th.

StrTrkker
Oh Yes...

:bandance:

gobears1987
3.5 up over the Twinkies!!!

Frater Perdurabo
OKKKtavio may just be the "backup" closer we need with Jenks on the shelf!

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't remember Jenks even getting three strikeouts on 10 pitches.

Patrick134
07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Russell with another win for his 5 pitches of work.

Brian26
07-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Russell with another win for his 5 pitches of work.

The Vulture 2k8.

ilsox7
Good win. Good day.

Who wants in on a pool as to when the first thread titled "Should Dotel replace Jenks even after he comes off the DL?" thread?

WhiteSox5187
Hawk says that every team loses sixty, every team wins sixty and it's what you do with the other forty two that matter...well, I really don't think that these past two games were games from that forty two column, I think these were games we were SUPPOSED to lose, but we just decided not to follow the script!!

Rocky Soprano
Royal FLUSH!

Frater Perdurabo
3.5 up over the Twinkies!!!

This is the crucial number. I'd like to get it up to at least five or six by the time the Sox have to visit the HumpDome, so that not even a Twins sweep would allow the Twins to overtake the Sox.

Uncle_Patrick
07-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Wow, the Royals blow fairly big leads 2 games in a row. Sucks to be them. Javy was bad tonight. Glad to see we could come back from that.

whitesoxfan
07-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Looks like those of us that were clamoring for Dotel as the closer now should get our wish. What a 9th inning.

When I saw that we were down 6-4, I really wasn't worried at all. I'm really beginning to get confident about this team. Another good come-from-behind road win tonight. Let's sweep these guys tomorrow.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Good win. Good day.

Who wants in on a pool as to when the first thread titled "Should Dotel replace Jenks even after he comes off the DL?" thread?

Maybe the thread title should be, "Should Jenks get his job back?" or "What can we get for Jenks on the trade market?" :tongue:

I hope everyone knows I'm kidding...

Rockin Robin
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
13-5 in the hit column, and still lose?

Ouch.

I'm curious to hear about the OC/Dye thing some more. Maybe i'm missing something, but why would JD be upset about the stolen base?

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2008, 10:02 PM
At 8-2 in their last 10 games, the Sox are the hottest team in baseball.

SoxGirl4Life
07-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Do the Royals get credit for the game-winning play?

White City
07-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Our bullpen truly is amazing. If they stay like this, October should be fun.

Brian26
07-09-2008, 10:04 PM
At 8-2 in their last 10 games, the Sox are the hottest team in baseball.

11 of the last 13 too.

Patrick134
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
11 of the last 13 too.

53 of the last 90.

hoosiersoxfan
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Ever since that awful weekend at Wrigley the Sox have gone 12-3 including being 4-1 on the road!:tongue:

vegyrex
Don't Stop Believing! :)

Frater Perdurabo
They also have won 11 of their last 13 (.846) 12 of their last 15 (.800) and 16 of their last 24 (.667).

Not only are they playing winning baseball, but they actually are getting hotter.

White City
Here in metro Atlanta, I feel like the richest guy on the block. 'Cause the Braves haven't been able to do all year what the Sox have done in the last two nights. And I fully believed in them both times, which is the greatest gift -- a reason to believe. Haven't felt this strongly about chances since June 2006.

gf2020
Let's all celebrate by voting 20 times for Jermaine Dye even though we don't really feel like it.

No teal.

I'm getting sick of the doom and gloom of the game threads where people are basically giving up on games after the third inning. Javy was very frustrating tonight, but it was the Royals. We were never out of this game.

I really wish Javy had gotten up for this game tonight. Hopefully the break does him some good.

White City
07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm getting sick of the doom and gloom of the post game threads where people are basically giving up on games after the third inning.

But it was only a few people. Plenty of us were positive as a counter-balance. Anyway, it's just harmless venting, but nonetheless bad form.

Tragg
07-09-2008, 10:10 PM

Ouch.I love it when the Sox win ugly.

mccoydp
07-09-2008, 10:10 PM
This game looked like a ****ter from the outset, but I kept watching anyway. I figured they would at least tie it up.
Gutsy performances from TCQ, OC, and Alexei. Logan and Dotel were tough as nails. Nice 9th inning!

:winner

Irishsox1
07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Is there anyway to get MLB to give Vazquez a loss for that "performance" he put on?

White City
07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Is there anyway to get MLB to give Vazquez a loss for that "performance" he put on?

They need to create a new stat: "Quality Shart"

ChiSox89
07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
great comeback win. javier struggled but bullpen was outstanding again, especially octavio dotel.

Uncle_Patrick
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM

Ouch.

I'm curious to hear about the OC/Dye thing some more. Maybe i'm missing something, but why would JD be upset about the stolen base?

The only thing I can think is that as JD is having a crappy series, the stolen base further distracted him and added to his frustrations and maybe he took some of that out on OC.

Soxworldchamps
07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
What a game! I'm not too happy about Konerko's 0-4 with 4 K's, though.

voodoochile
07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Let's all celebrate by voting 20 times for Jermaine Dye even though we don't really feel like it.

No teal.

I'm getting sick of the doom and gloom of the post game threads where people are basically giving up on games after the third inning. Javy was very frustrating tonight, but it was the Royals. We were never out of this game.

I really wish Javy had gotten up for this game tonight. Hopefully the break does him some good.

I assume you mean the game threads, not the post game threads. Feel free to tell the dumbasses to shove it. I actually thought thonights wan't that bad, but maybe I missed some crap in the earlier innings.

Either way, they only make themselves look like fools in the end...

Winning ugly the last few, but maybe that makes up for some of the crappy losses we took earlier in the season. 7 runs, 5 hits. Not a recipe I recommend, but when you've got as much raw power as the Sox do, simple things like taking a walk start to add up.

Come on TCQ have a hot streak to take us into the break...

:winner

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

:)

ArkanSox
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
It was great to see CQ get back on track (big time) to help the Sox come back yet again. Clutch hit by Thome.

Loved the defensive play by PK.

Dotel was definitely pumped up to close.

JD is frustrated, but he had the team on his back for the past month, and this vote-off BS probably got in his head.

There's no way that he should have been left off the AL team originally.

Rock on! :bandance:

johnnyg83
07-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I love Paulie and want him to get back on track .. but it's hard to argue with a Wise/Anderson platoon ... Swisher at first giving us a better chance to win this year.

gf2020
07-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Angels just lost. We're only a half game back of them for second best record in the AL and only two games back of the Rays. Way too early to score board watch I know, but just something to keep an eye on.

TDog
07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Much may be made of the balk that won the game. People will remember the game in 2000 when the Sox tied the A's in the ninth on a balk and won it in the 10th when Frank Thomas doubled and Jose Valentin scored from first on a sweet slide. The balk was the difference, but it wasn't the reason the Sox won.

Quentin came up huge. The team didn't give up. The bullpen didn't give up anything. Dotel threw 10 pitches for three outs without giving up a fair ball. Now, that's the way you protect a one-run lead.

I have no doubt that without the balk, the Sox would have won, perhaps in extra innings, with the bullpen didn't need. A couple of weeks ago, people here were lamenting that the Sox can't be very good because they hadn't come back after the seventh once this season. I was hoping they were saving up.

The gamethread was not for the polite in the early innings, but I never gave up on this team.

Irishsox1
07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Given the Sox history against Bannister, all Vazquez needed to do was hold KC to at least 4 runs over 6 innings, what does he do?...Quickly puts them down 5-0! That was my doom and gloom during the game and why not? Another crappy start by Vazquez that puts the Sox in a hole early in the game.

gf2020
07-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I love Paulie and want him to get back on track .. but it's hard to argue with a Wise/Anderson platoon ... Swisher at first giving us a better chance to win this year.
What are you talking about? Paulie had a great play defensively today. He had a pretty productive day at the plate yesterday. He's played exactly two games since he's come back. Can we give him a little longer before we start pining for Wise/Anderson?

Frankfan4life

No teal.The Rays have just lost three in a row. Let's strike while their morale is down and we're on a roll. KEEP VOTING!!! Let's do this!!!!!!

The Sox are amazing! I had a feeling they were going to come back and win today. I haven't felt this confident about the Sox since 2005. LOVE IT!!!

WhiteSox5187
Ya know I just saw the replay of the "incident" in the dugout, it really wasn't that much. It looked like JD said something, OC responded, and then someone figured "Ah, we're not going to let this heat up" and stepped in between them, but again, it was much ado about nothing. They just exchanged some words.

TomBradley72
07-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Random comments:

Great to see Thome with the late inning, clutch hit. If we can get a classic Thome hot streak for a few weeks...a major lift.
Russell looks good...I bet Masset is now behind him on any depth chart
I like Ozzie going to BA in CF/Swisher at 1B for the 8th inning.
There are certain games you ONLY win when it's a year your team is playing very well. Tonight was one of those games.
Cabrera's getting to 3rd was another great baserunning play. IF JD was upset by it...he needs to join Contreras for some therapy...control your emotions and your concentration.
Let's get the sweep...Texas series could be tough.

TheOldRoman
07-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I personally would have titled this thread "Balk like a man", but this is acceptable.:D:

Second straight night we had a horrible pitching performance, the bullpen was lights out (except Line last night) and the offense picked them up. Any time Javy and Jose want to remove their heads from their asses, it would be fine with me. Hopefully Buehrle is on again tomorrow.

October26
07-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I was very happy to see the Sox battle in this game and come back and win it. And of course, Dotel was incredible in the 9th. Sox win! Sox win! Yay! :bandance:

kevingrt
07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Nice comeback. Dotel was awesome! Who cares about the shouting match in the dugout. Nice win!

rustysurf83
07-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Gotta feel pretty good getting these two after substandard starting pitching performances, good sign with Mark, Danks, and Floyd coming up; chance to really create some space by the break.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I personally would have titled this thread "Balk like a man", but this is acceptable.:D:

I love it!
I really had the feeling in the 4th that if we stopped them at 6 runs we'd be able to come back. What a different feeling from last year.

Dotel has made me a little nervous at times this year but he was impressive tonight. Maybe putting him in his old role got his blood up.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I assume you mean the game threads, not the post game threads.

The game threads have become just disgusting...Most of them should just be ****housed by the third inning.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
I've re-watched the balk 5 times now - and have no idea what he did that was wrong.

Can anyone explain it to me?

Droso5
07-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Royal FLUSH!

Oh come on now....

A good "grinder" game tonight. Some good defense, solid BP work and Dotel mowing dudes down like, well, it's his job. Thome looks to be warming up, Swish had a double and TCQ exploded. Smart baserunning and even 2 SB'd by Cabrerra, the last which turned out to be the difference.

Javy made me want to cry, he has been sub-par for a while now and he just looked poor out there tonight. Another classic "Bad" Javy start. But hey, at least Lindebrink didn't close tonight, if he did I bet we would still be posting in the Game Day Thread.

popilius
07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Two good wins in a row- I think the Sox are getting to the point where they feel they can come back on a team when they are down. I didn't sense a panic or impatience they've sometimes shown. Let's get this sweep tomorrow.

:gulp:

slavko
07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
What a game! I'm not too happy about Konerko's 0-4 with 4 K's, though.

He's back to trying to pull outside pitches. If he does make contact, it's a DP grounder. The good news is it never lasts a whole season. So far, anyway. Earth to PK: Try to hit the ball where it's pitched, at least until you get some timing.

And a comment on the Dotel 9th:How many pitches does a one inning pitcher need? Answer:1 or 2. Did he throw anything but a sidearm fastball?

Droso5
07-09-2008, 10:43 PM
He's back to trying to pull outside pitches. If he does make contact, it's a DP grounder. The good news is it never lasts a whole season. So far, anyway. Earth to PK: Try to hit the ball where it's pitched, at least until you get some timing.

And a comment on the Dotel 9th:How many pitches does a one inning pitcher need? Answer:1 or 2. Did he throw anything but a sidearm fastball?

Either way he seemed to be going after the hitters with his fastball, challenging them and not nibbling like Javy did. He just went at them and they weren't able to touch him. Good Stuff.

johnnyg83
07-09-2008, 10:45 PM
What are you talking about? Paulie had a great play defensively today. He had a pretty productive day at the plate yesterday. He's played exactly two games since he's come back. Can we give him a little longer before we start pining for Wise/Anderson?

Fair enough. But regardless of his performance tonight or last night, there is an argument for us having a better chance to win every night with Wise/Anderson on the field vs. Paulie.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I've re-watched the balk 5 times now - and have no idea what he did that was wrong.

Can anyone explain it to me?He rocked forward like he was going into the stretch, then just stopped. I was watching the KC feed on Extra Innings, and even they thought it was a balk. The rule:

If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when --
(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery;

Lip Man 1
07-09-2008, 10:49 PM
As the New Colony Six once sang..."Roll On, Roll On, we've got so much goin on!" LOL

Well they were really, really ugly the last two nights but a win is a win is a win. The 2007 bunch loses both of these without a fight (no pun intended Cabrera!)

Anytime Vazquez wants to show up and start pitching again is alright by me.

And did Konerko bag the "Golden Sombrero" this evening?

Lip

jabrch
07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Fair enough. But regardless of his performance tonight or last night, there is an argument for us having a better chance to win every night with Wise/Anderson on the field vs. Paulie.

No there is not. Well - I take that back - there is. But there were also people arguing in May that this was a crappy team, there were people saying KW did a ****ty job this offseason, there were people arguing that we paid too much for Linebrink and Dotel and they'd both suck, etc. etc. etc. All of these "arguements" were complely stupid when they were made - as would the case that we are better off over the course of the next 73 games with BA and Wise in the lineup every day instead of Paul Konerko.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 10:55 PM
He rocked forward like he was going into the stretch, then just stopped. I was watching the KC feed on Extra Innings, and even they thought it was a balk. The rule:

(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery;

Thanks Nellie - I just didn't see it. I still don't get the balk rule. I know the wording to it - but I can't see it with my eyes. I can watch it again and again and I can't ever tell if it is a balk or not with the only exception being the leg crossing the rubber and then not coming to the plate...

Rocky Soprano
07-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Oh come on now....

All in good fun brother. :D:

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks Nellie - I just didn't see it. I still don't get the balk rule. I know the wording to it - but I can't see it with my eyes. I can watch it again and again and I can't ever tell if it is a balk or not with the only exception being the leg crossing the rubber and then not coming to the plate...The balk rule is a bitch. Even umpires don't always seem to get it; they let lefties get away with the "step toward home, throw to first" move, which is a balk.

UofCSoxFan
07-09-2008, 11:04 PM
The balk rule is a bitch. Even umpires don't always seem to get it; they let lefties get away with the "step toward home, throw to first" move, which is a balk.

The 45 degree rule on the lefty is really the only one that is hard to call. How 2 umpire crews call this in high school and lower level college is beyond me....oh that's right....they don't and it means you pretty much have to guess with a good lefty up there.

Other balks really aren't that hard. Basically, if the pitcher does something that "doesn't look right" you process it in your mind, and it usually is a balk. Most of the time its a flinch of some sort...like today. Failure to pause at the stretch is another one, although there is a lot of slack given on that as well.

I think a lot of fans think they don't understand the balk rule because if you aren't paying close attention, like an umpire should be doing, they often are easy to miss and you tell yourself...I have no idea what he did? In reality I think if people were straring at the pitcher constantly while 30 feet away, they'd be able to spot the balks that are called.

UofCSoxFan
07-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Let's give Konerko more than two games before we right him off. He was hurt the beginning of the year and needs some time to work back.

I still think we will see ANderson out there a lot, but Ozzie already seems more willing to take PK out late for defense....which is good.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
The 45 degree rule on the lefty is really the only one that is hard to call. I don't know where people keep getting this "45 rule." There is no such thing. The rule says you must step "directly" toward the base you are throwing to. If you believe 45 is "directly," then you would have to say that if the pitcher throws the ball into the first base dugout, he threw it "directly" to first, because it was less than 45 from first.

Rule:

(c) The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base;
Rule 8.05(c) Comment: Requires the pitcher, while touching his plate, to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base.

Cuck the Fubs
07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
All in good fun brother. :D:

You beat me to it :gulp:

Nice way to come back from the dead, let's get the sweep tomorrow and roll into Texas on a high note!

In other news.........

VOTE FOR JD!

Daver
07-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Mark Buerhle balks every time he throws to first from the stretch, he never gets called cause he sells it well.

Droso5
07-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Mark Buerhle balks every time he throws to first from the stretch, he never gets called cause he sells it well.

Mark Buerhle........................yes.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Mark Buerhle balks every time he throws to first from the stretch, he never gets called cause he sells it well.Oh, on occasions he makes a non-balk move to first, just to set up the balk move.

WhiteSoxBlog
07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
This game was the 2nd consecutive crazy night.

The thing I was glad to see that both nights had in common: comebacks

There was a point this year, where the guys couldn't even come back from a 2-run lead. The offense just couldn't pull it together. And two days in a row they did.

Especially last night, they worked hard for their runs. I love it when a team gets runs by doubles, singles, triples, and steals. I love home runs and fireworks, but it's nice to see this kind of playing out there.

Especially last night, coming back over and over again, shows that something good is going on with the guys.

johnnyg83
07-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Let's give Konerko more than two games before we right him off. He was hurt the beginning of the year and needs some time to work back.

I still think we will see ANderson out there a lot, but Ozzie already seems more willing to take PK out late for defense....which is good.

I ain't writing him off. I choo-choo-choose him to succeed. And I'm not making any arguments not based (double negative there?) on some success that the White Sox had with Paulie on the DL. The team felt different to me ... and damm!t I liked it.

WhiteSoxBlog
07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Danks does it, too. I'm glad they don't get called out on it.

PeteWard
07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks Nellie - I just didn't see it. I still don't get the balk rule. I know the wording to it - but I can't see it with my eyes. I can watch it again and again and I can't ever tell if it is a balk or not with the only exception being the leg crossing the rubber and then not coming to the plate...

What I don't get is the balk on throws to first by lefties. Who was it last week on Oakland or Cleveland who seemed to be clearly heading to home as he then shifted and threw to first? I think he nabbed Alexei?

That guy balked on every throw to first.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Danks does it, too.Every left hander in baseball with a "good move" balks.

DickAllen72
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
I choo-choo-choose him to succeed.

Look in the tunk. :cool:

PeteWard
07-09-2008, 11:39 PM
ESPN on the spat between Dye and Cabrera.

No big deal as most here have said.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280709107

jabrch
07-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Let's give Konerko more than two games before we right him off.

Write or Wrong...

TDog
07-10-2008, 01:06 AM

And did Konerko bag the "Golden Sombrero" this evening?

Lip

When I was listening to Padres games on the radio years ago, that's what Jerry Coleman called four-strikeout games. The silver sombrero was a three-strikeout game.

Konerko actually looked good Tuesday night. I'm not worried because he had a bad game.

JB98
07-10-2008, 01:06 AM
It's great to see Thome hitting the ball hard with regularity. Certainly TCQ got the Sox back in the game, but the biggest hit of all was Jimmy ripping the ball through the shift to tie the game with two outs in the eighth.

Not so long ago, people were assuring me that Thome would hit .215 all year. That was bull****, just as it is bull**** to give up on Konerko right now.

Javier Vazquez, however, looks like he's ready for the All-Star break. Just terrible tonight. The bullpen has pitched great, thank goodness.

Mohoney
07-10-2008, 02:35 AM
The best part about the past 2 days is that we played sloppy, crappy baseball and still won. Now we're due for a good performance tomorrow and will probably get one. Hopefully, Grienke doesn't answer with a good performance of his own.

Railsplitter
07-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Keep the wins coming!
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

A win today keeps us on top through the Break.

ilsox7
07-10-2008, 06:39 AM
ESPN on the spat between Dye and Cabrera.

No big deal as most here have said.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280709107

Good to see JD isn't carrying it further. Bull**** move on his part, but move on. Team won which is what matters.

cws05champ
07-10-2008, 07:26 AM
The pitcher started to lean forward as if he was going to his glove for the set, but he leaned back up. Therfore the balk. A little ticky tack but we'll take it.
Great come back nonetheless....

Medford Bobby
07-10-2008, 07:37 AM
As the New Colony Six once sang..."Roll On, Roll On, we've got so much goin on!" LOL

Lip
Wow, what a great summer single of 1971!!:cool:

palehozenychicty
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Vazquez tried his hardest to bury the team, but he couldn't, which is a good sign. :D:

aryzner
07-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Russell practically on pace to soon lead MLB in wins. :lol:

Good win to put us 3.5 in front of the Twins. Let's just keep winning til the All-Star break, then keep going from there! :smile:

34 Inch Stick
07-10-2008, 10:06 AM
The pitcher started to lean forward as if he was going to his glove for the set, but he leaned back up. Therfore the balk. A little ticky tack but we'll take it.

I would not call it ticky tack. It was one of the more blatant balks I have seen. It sounded like the entire sox dugout called it and Paulie even called time during his at bat to point it out.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Maybe the thread title should be, "Should Jenks get his job back?" or "What can we get for Jenks on the trade market?" :tongue:

I hope everyone knows I'm kidding...

Well only one game is not enough, perhaps OD found his perfect job, because I have the impression that when he comes in early innings U can expect anything from a couple of perfect innings to a couple or more homeruns.

Let us see him a little bit more as a closer Ozzie!!!

oeo
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I would not call it ticky tack. It was one of the more blatant balks I have seen. It sounded like the entire sox dugout called it and Paulie even called time during his at bat to point it out.

Buck knew it, too.

TomBradley72
07-10-2008, 10:45 AM

Balk calls by definition are "ticky tack"...since the slightest move towards the plate is what keys a runner starting to move or a hitter starting to read a pitch/getting ready to swing.

southside rocks
07-10-2008, 11:26 AM

Farmio and Stone called it almost in unison.

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Oh Yes...

Oh hell YEEESSS!!! two comebacks in the late innings in a row! NEVA doubt this team! NEVA! Plus, Dotel...DAMN! YEESSS!!! 3.5 up guys. Neva stop! NEVA!

doublem23
07-10-2008, 11:33 AM

Here's the video of it: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200807093103331

I wish they had a camera from the side of behind home plate, but even from this crap angle, still pretty easy to call that a balk.

TDog
07-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Nonetheless? It was an obvious balk, as others have noted and as the video shows. The pitcher was rattled. Pitchers don't just know better than to do what he did, they know that doing that will cost their team a run. How often are there runners on third? How often do they score on balks? Major league pitchers know better.

On May 23, 1999, Bill Simas balked in Derek Jeter for the fourth ninth-inning run that tied a game in Chicago. Of course, the Yankees won on that Sunday afternoon after Simas allowed a home run in the 10th. Earlier I mentioned the Aug. 5, 2000 game in which Jason Isringhausen of the A's balked in Chris Singleton in the ninth inning to tie before Frank Thomas doubled in Jose Valentin to win on a fireworks night. I was sitting in the last row of the upper deck and cut my hand throwing my fist into the ceiling in my excitement.

My favorite balk of all time, though, is a bit sad. Twenty-two years ago today, Todd Fischer pitched his last major league game. I was watching on KTLA out of Los Angeles. The Angels had scored three runs in the top of the 12th to take a 7-4 lead against the Red Sox in Fenway Park. Rookie Mike Cook came in for Donnie Moore and after retiring Wade Boggs and Bill Buckner gave up a two-run homer to Jim Rice, and after an error, a walk, a game-tying single and another error, Fischer came in with men on second and third. He never threw a pitch. Before he threw a pitch, he balked in Darrell Evans with the winning run.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Javy has been terrible for a month, save for the game against the A's, which he also lost. He was supposed to have gotten over the hump last year, but he is showing yet once again why he is a career .500 pitcher.

He's on my early I-can't-wait-till-the-offseason-to-trade-him list.

I'd rather see someone else get a chance to start in his place. The Sox should be able to easily find a .500 pitcher somewhere, anywhere that costs less than $11.5-million a year.

palehozenychicty
07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Javy has been terrible for a month, save for the game against the A's, which he also lost. He was supposed to have gotten over the hump last year, but he is showing yet once again why he is a career .500 pitcher.

I'd rather see someone else get a chance to start in his place. The Sox should be able to easily find a .500 pitcher somewhere, anywhere that costs less than $11.5-million a year.

Which is classic Vazquez. He's good enough to be traded.

doublem23
07-10-2008, 04:14 PM

I wonder if the Angels will take him straight up for Garland. :cool:

gobears1987
07-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I wonder if the Angels will take him straight up for Garland. :cool:
As soon as that happens there will be Jon Garland trade rumors every day on WSI.