PDA

View Full Version : Sox high on Getz

LITTLE NELL
07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Nice article about Getz in Daily Herald today. I see Alexei at SS and Getz at second in 09.

getonbckthr
07-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I wonder if this another masterful performance by the Sox, mostly Kenny Williams, in building up prospects to be bigger and better than they really are. Hell we heard how great McCarthy was gonna be and KW turned a hype-machine into Massett and Danks. Jeremy Reed was the 2nd coming of jesus christ. He ended up the prized piece in acquiring Freddy. Therefor I am expecting Getz to be traded in some deal where we will get a nice, impactful player. Many at WSI will bitch about how we got raped only to see Getz make 20 errors a season and hit .240.:D:

kevingrt
07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
From what I read I am high on Getz too. I have not seen him play but I love his versatility in the infield and I like high average and OBP type players. If we do not resign OC or cannot find a 2B or SS in free agency I don't think I would have any problem seeing Getz start next year.

BTW: Didn't read the DH yet, but Scot Gregor is one of the finest baseball beat reporters in town. I really enjoy his stuff.

Tekijawa
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I agree with the hype machine theory. If this is the real Alexei and with Beckham being the stud he is, Getz could be stuck behind some good middle infielders!

LITTLE NELL
07-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I wonder where this leaves Richar.

Chilli Palmer
07-09-2008, 05:25 PM

Charlotte.

gf2020
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Nice article about Getz in Daily Herald today. I see Alexei at SS and Getz at second in 09.
With Crede destined to be replaced by Fields, that downgrades our infield defensively and potentially offensively. I hope that we aren't going into 2009 with unproven options at both 3B and 2B, especially if we have the type of success I expect us to have at the end of the year. If fences can't be mended with OC, I hope we pursue a Rafael Furcal or Orlando Hudson for a three year deal until Gordon Beckham is ready.

If we are really going to do something like Fields at 3B and Getz at 2B in 2009, we better be going after Pat Burrell, Milton Bradley, Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreau or Mark Texiera to replace Thome.

Of course, its better to be worry about Kansas City tonight and enjoy this amazing season.

Daver
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I've seen tape of Getz, I'm glad someone is high on him.

Noneck
07-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I've seen tape of Getz, I'm glad someone is high on him.

All I have seen are stats, which look decent. What don't you like about him?

Optipessimism
07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Getz isn't toolsy and he hasn't utterly dominated his competition. Despite all the hype, McCarthy and Reed were very good prospects. They haven't panned out, but it's not like GM's in baseball are used car salesmen trying to sell off shiny jalopies with rolled back odometers to novices. The Mariners scouts loved Reed and the Texas people loved McCarthy because of their own separate evaluations. It had nothing at all to do with things Kenny said to the media.

Daver
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
All I have seen are stats, which look decent. What don't you like about him?

Not a particularly good defender, I don't think he'll be able to hit against superior pitching, I like what I saw out of Richar last season more than anything I see in Getz.

Noneck
07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Not a particularly good defender, I don't think he'll be able to hit against superior pitching, I like what I saw out of Richar last season more than anything I see in Getz.

Does he have range, speed or quickness?

Daver
07-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Does he have range, speed or quickness?

He's quick, limited range, doesn't see the ball off the bat well, average reaction time, not much of an arm. He's a younger Tony Graffinino.

Tragg
07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I see Alexei at SS and Getz at second in 09.Alexei and Richar.
Getz can hit though.

kevingrt
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
He's quick, limited range, doesn't see the ball off the bat well, average reaction time, not much of an arm. He's a younger Tony Graffinino.

Well we should send him to Boston so he can play 2B in the ALDS in 2008 or 2009.

Stringer
07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
What about Danny Rischar???

:scratch:

Boondock Saint
07-10-2008, 12:47 AM
What about Danny Rischar???

:scratch:

He can't get any playing time, seeing as how he's stuck behind Danny Richar.

Stringer
07-10-2008, 03:44 AM
He can't get any playing time, seeing as how he's stuck behind Danny Richar.

okay, I see what you did there

very clever

:rolleyes:

ChiTownTrojan
07-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Does anyone have a link to the article? I couldn't find it, unless it's burried within an article of an unrelated title.

oeo
07-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Does anyone have a link to the article? I couldn't find it, unless it's burried within an article of an unrelated title.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/245

Chez
07-10-2008, 07:34 AM
I've never seen Getz play, but from the comments of others it reminds me of the Aaron Miles situation back in '03.

doublem23
07-10-2008, 08:07 AM

I hope he looks good in Royal blue.

ChiTownTrojan
07-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Admittedly I don't know too much about Getz, but it sounds like he's best suited for a reserve role. There are a lot of signs pointing to a 2009 infield of Fields at 3B, Ramirez at SS, Richar at 2B, and Getz as the backup IF. I'd be a lot happier if we had at least one veteran at one of those positions.

CashMan
07-10-2008, 08:29 AM
If we are really going to do something like Fields at 3B and Getz at 2B in 2009, we better be going after Pat Burrell, Milton Bradley, Adam Dunn, Bobby Abreau or Mark Texiera to replace Thome.

Of course, its better to be worry about Kansas City tonight and enjoy this amazing season.

Burrell---contract year
Bradley---career year
Dunn---200 SOs a year
Abreau---ucky
Texiera---I like

jabrch
07-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with the hype machine theory. If this is the real Alexei and with Beckham being the stud he is, Getz could be stuck behind some good middle infielders!

My best guess - Beckham gets groomed to play 3B. if the belief is that Fields won't get there defensively. 2B is kinda deep for us now, between Ramirez, Getz and Richar. Not sure if either of the latter two will be MLB starters, but as others have said, the fact that they are at least not looking bad (and in some ways looking good) gives them SOME value in the trade market. We know KW won't shy away from making a move, this year or in the off season, so I'm glad the minors may not be in as bad of shape as some have told us to believe they are.

Just another asset...who knows? Trade bait? Depth/Insurance?

TomBradley72
07-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Admittedly I don't know too much about Getz, but it sounds like he's best suited for a reserve role. There are a lot of signs pointing to a 2009 infield of Fields at 3B, Ramirez at SS, Richar at 2B, and Getz as the backup IF. I'd be a lot happier if we had at least one veteran at one of those positions.

If we have Fields at 3rd, Ramirez at SS, and Swisher at 1B (w/PK going to DH)...that a very inexpensive infield...since we shouldn't be in "rebuilding mode"...I sure hope we go out and get an experienced/high quality 2nd baseman and leave Getz or Richar to back up roles.

jabrch
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
If we have Fields at 3rd, Ramirez at SS, and Swisher at 1B (w/PK going to DH)...that a very inexpensive infield...since we shouldn't be in "rebuilding mode"...I sure hope we go out and get an experienced/high quality 2nd baseman and leave Getz or Richar to back up roles.

Any names you are thinking of? I wouldn't pay Hudson what he wants. The 09 2B FA crop is thin. Durham, Ellis, Giles, Grudz, Hudson, Lopez, Kent, Jimenez, Ozuna, Punto, Manos, Virdo...

Not sure what teams are looking to move a top tier 2B. Maybe Brian Roberts can be had from Baltimore. I can't think of too many other options.

wulfy
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Burrell---contract year
Bradley---career year
Dunn---200 SOs a year
Abreau---ucky
Texiera---$$$$

Fixed it for you.

Britt Burns
07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Burrell---contract year
Bradley---career year
Dunn---200 SOs a year
Abreau---ucky
Texiera---I like

Isn't Texiera a Boras client? If so, you can strike him off the list...not that he'd probably be on it to begin with.

KenBerryGrab
07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Who wouldn't be high on Getz? He was one of the best tenor saxophonists ever! Oh, sorry.......

Tragg
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Richar's hit at every level he's been in and can field the position. We surrendered a highly regarded minor league hitter for him. I know that his offense wasn't scintillating in his 2 month appearance (and I know, the cw for many is that if a young player can't hit in 2 months, he can't hit at all) but he showed patience and showed 15-20 HR pop. And he can run the bases. Putting serious resources into Mark Ellis off of a career year is a dubious move. Chasing Brian Roberts by dealing every prospect or bit of depth that we have (off of a career year) is silly.

What we're going to need to put resources in to beef up is starting pitching. It's thin as a dime IF the current 5 perform well; and if they don't, we're in a deficit. We'll also have money to do it as Uribe, Cabrera et al peel off the salary.

TomBradley72
07-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Richar's hit at every level he's been in and can field the position. We surrendered a highly regarded minor league hitter for him. I know that his offense wasn't scintillating in his 2 month appearance (and I know, the cw for many is that if a young player can't hit in 2 months, he can't hit at all) but he showed patience and showed 15-20 HR pop. And he can run the bases. Putting serious resources into Mark Ellis off of a career year is a dubious move. Chasing Brian Roberts by dealing every prospect or bit of depth that we have (off of a career year) is silly.

What we're going to need to put resources in to beef up is starting pitching. It's thin as a dime IF the current 5 perform well; and if they don't, we're in a deficit. We'll also have money to do it as Uribe, Cabrera et al peel off the salary.

If we go with Fields/Ramirez/Richar/Swisher...that's a "rebuilding" infield...not a contenders infield. Richar is a 25 y.o. prospect, hitting .262 at AAA this year...slotting him as starting 2nd baseman on a contender would be a mistake.

Carolina Kenny
07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
If we go with Fields/Ramirez/Richar/Swisher...that's a "rebuilding" infield...not a contenders infield. Richar is a 25 y.o. prospect, hitting .262 at AAA this year...slotting him as starting 2nd baseman on a contender would be a mistake.

How about playing the Cuban Missle at Third Base?
I'm just not sold on Josh KO Fields.
Resign OC and let Getz, Richar or whoever fight it out for 2nd base.

voodoochile
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM

He showed good promise with the bat and glove last year in the majors. In addition, while he's off to a slow start in July, he hit .296 in June and though his average is down a bit in July, he's clearly driving the ball better with his SLG at .485 in July - a sign that he is getting comfortable at the plate.

He put up an OPS of .956 last year before his call up and is showing signs of returning to those levels. In addition, he can steal bases and has range approaching Uribe and Ramirez at 2B.

I agree the Getz talk is hype. He's 3rd or 4th on the IF depth chart from a Sox perspective at the big league level.

jabrch
07-10-2008, 11:26 AM
How about playing the Cuban Missle at Third Base?

He's so sweet as a MI - why waste him at the corner?

IF (and I am not saying this is the case) the Sox decide Josh is not the answer at 3B, then they should seriously consider making another push to resign Joe for 3 more years. Even if you pay him top dollar, but find a way to limit it to a 3 year deal, he has shown this season that he is in pretty good shape off the back surgery.

I want to see Alexei stay as a MI, either a 2B or an SS.

Carolina Kenny
07-10-2008, 11:50 AM
He's so sweet as a MI - why waste him at the corner?

IF (and I am not saying this is the case) the Sox decide Josh is not the answer at 3B, then they should seriously consider making another push to resign Joe for 3 more years. Even if you pay him top dollar, but find a way to limit it to a 3 year deal, he has shown this season that he is in pretty good shape off the back surgery.

I want to see Alexei stay as a MI, either a 2B or an SS.

I agree that Alexei is more valuable as a MI rather than on the corner.
My preference would be to resign Joe and OC and leave Alexei at 2nd.
But Swish at 1st and you have a potential Gold Glover at 3rd, SS,2B and 1B.
The last couple of weeks have shown how good a fielding IF this would be.
Not to create another bash Fields thread, but I just don't feel he will ever be up to the fielding caliber of the rest of the team. And I don't feel that 25-35 HR's with 125K makes up for his fielding problems.

btrain929
07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
If we do resign Joe and move Alexei to SS, we can use Fields and Getz/Richar/Shelby to acquire a top notch 2b. Someone that isn't really available that we make available ala Swisher. I don't know who though. Brandon Phillips? Uggla (maybe they don't wanna go long term on him)? Roberts' contract is only through next year, so that's dangerous. Buy low on Cano?

If we resign Crede and somehow OC and keep Alexei at 2b, then Fields again can be used at trade bait, maybe for a SP if we trade Contreras in the offseason.

nodiggity59
07-10-2008, 12:19 PM
The Phillies signed Pedro Feliz over the off season. He plays great D but has a poor bat. This is what I'd like to see the Sox do. Just get a man who can play the position and focus on other areas.

Off the top of my head, I think Rolen is a FA, but I may be wrong. If he'll take like a 2 year, $12-15 mil dollar deal, I say do that.

Get rid of Thome, PK to DH, Swisher to 1B.

Use Fields and other prospects to get a nice CF who is young (not easy, I know).

Ramirez at SS, maybe sign a vet 2B of some sort, or try Richar.

If we make a big deal that gives up a lot of prospects or cash, I want it to be for a stud CF or SP. I don't think 3B is that much of an offensive position, adn I think you can find a vet to fill it for this team, just one that won't be a "star" like Crede.

bigdommer
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
If OC and Crede do not return in 2009, which I don't believe they will, I think Kenny will have tons of flexiblity replacing them. 1) He will have tons of $$$ on hand after OC, Crede, and Thome are off the books. 2) With the 4 high draft picks, he can afford to trade away a prospect or two in the offseason and replace them. 3) The minor league replacements are okay, considering that KW has had Floyd, TCQ, and Alexei carrying this team, and we did not expect much from them.

Jaffar
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
He showed good promise with the bat and glove last year in the majors. In addition, while he's off to a slow start in July, he hit .296 in June and though his average is down a bit in July, he's clearly driving the ball better with his SLG at .485 in July - a sign that he is getting comfortable at the plate.

He put up an OPS of .956 last year before his call up and is showing signs of returning to those levels. In addition, he can steal bases and has range approaching Uribe and Ramirez at 2B.

I agree the Getz talk is hype. He's 3rd or 4th on the IF depth chart from a Sox perspective at the big league level.

Don't forget that he was injured as well and didn't have a real spring training, especially after arriving late. I would imagine it took him a few weeks to get baseball ready after coming off the DL.

Tragg
07-10-2008, 06:27 PM
If you want to use batting average, that's fine - but it ignores one of Richar's skills - plate patience and the ability to draw a walk. His OBP last i checked was .330 and climbing. It will likely be .350ish by the end of the year.
It's only a rebuilding infield because of the 3B situation. Richar can play 2nd. It will be a questionable infield because of the 3B situation, whether or not Williams picks up some veteran to play 2B. And that shouldn't be too hard anyway - Iguchi was a perfectly fine 2B and he had, and i quote, "No value." So we should be able to find a vet for an organizational minor leaguer.

We need to strengthen SP.

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
If you want to use batting average, that's fine - but it ignores one of Richar's skills - plate patience and the ability to draw a walk. His OBP last i checked was .330 and climbing. It will likely be .350ish by the end of the year.
It's only a rebuilding infield because of the 3B situation. Richar can play 2nd. It will be a questionable infield because of the 3B situation, whether or not Williams picks up some veteran to play 2B. And that shouldn't be too hard anyway - Iguchi was a perfectly fine 2B and he had, and i quote, "No value." So we should be able to find a vet for an organizational minor leaguer.

I think the ONLY drawback to an infield of Fields-Ramirez-Richar-Swisher is Fields' defense. Offensively, Ramirez has shown himself to be capable of hitting .300, Swisher is capable of hitting 30 homers, Fields has 30 HR power and Richar likely will have a .350 OBP. An outfield of Quentin-BA-Dye is pretty solid too, because Paulie will make a fine DH. That team allows the Sox enormous payroll flexibility to upgrade the starting rotation (presumably by replacing Jose Contreras).

The fact of the matter, though, is that the departures of Thome, Cabrera and Uribe alone should allow the Sox enough payroll flexibility to re-sign Crede, if they wish to do so. In that case, Fields' 3B defense is not an issue, and you can then use Crede as a 2-year "stopgap" if you think Beckham can slide over to 3B in 2011.

Back to the point of the thread, Getz seems like he could be a pretty decent utility player and pinch hitter.

Daver
07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Back to the point of the thread, Getz seems like he could be a pretty decent utility player and pinch hitter.

He doesn't really have the arm for third or SS.

Tragg
07-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I know it's been mentioned before, but what about 1B for Fields? Could he play that? Maybe we are full up depth wise at 1st (although I don't think Swisher really has the pop for a 1B) but even if we are, we diminsh his value in a trade if we call him a failed 3B, versus a young 1B.

Can Getz play another position? Like outfield? We need good depth.

Richar can run - that's another thing he'll bring to a lineup that gets a tad stodgy at times.

sox1970
07-11-2008, 06:40 PM
I know it's been mentioned before, but what about 1B for Fields? Could he play that? Maybe we are full up depth wise at 1st (although I don't think Swisher really has the pop for a 1B) but even if we are, we diminsh his value in a trade if we call him a failed 3B, versus a young 1B.

Can Getz play another position? Like outfield? We need good depth.

Richar can run - that's another thing he'll bring to a lineup that gets a tad stodgy at times.

Getz has been jumping around 2B, SS, and LF this year.

He may be one of the reasons Ozuna was let go. I think they're happy with Anderson, Wise, and Uribe on the bench, but if someone goes down, Getz is the likely callup.

Tragg
07-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Getz has been jumping around 2B, SS, and LF this year.

He may be one of the reasons Ozuna was let go. I think they're happy with Anderson, Wise, and Uribe on the bench, but if someone goes down, Getz is the likely callup.
Good. He should be useful next year.
Put the money or tradebait into starting pitching.

TomBradley72
07-11-2008, 07:11 PM

So who leaves the rotation? Contreras is untradeable. Vazquez and Buehrle have large contracts and are productive starters, Floyd and Danks bring both quality and come cheaply. The WSox are not going to "eat" Jose's contract...this year's 5 man rotation is probably next year's as well.

btrain929
07-11-2008, 07:41 PM
So who leaves the rotation? Contreras is untradeable. Vazquez and Buehrle have large contracts and are productive starters, Floyd and Danks bring both quality and come cheaply. The WSox are not going to "eat" Jose's contract...this year's 5 man rotation is probably next year's as well.

We have a knack for trading SP's in their contract years, especially if we have no intention of resigning him to an extension. Jose meets both of those criteria. I think he is traded only if we sign a FA starter first, or we use Fields to trade for another young quality arm.

Mr. Downtown
07-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm just curious what people are basing their opinion on that Getz has 3 or 4 players ahead of him and that he's only going to be a utility player.

I've seen him play. He's good. Konerko said today that he's not only one of the best players in Charlotte, he's one of the best players in the league. Is Konerko part of the scam that's trying to elevate Getz to a level where he really doesn't belong?

Forgive me, but I'm not buying the rope-a-dope.

Getz is for real. Watch him Sunday at the Futures Game. He's our only position player in the game and he's the real deal.

sox1970
07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
The little bit I've seen of him in spring training I really like. He's very quiet at the plate, and hits a ton of line drives.

The Sox must like him too. They've drafted him twice.

The plan may be for him to be a super-sub next year, but possibly play himself into the lineup. May buy a year or so for Beckham too.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-11-2008, 10:41 PM

I'd trade Vazquez and his $11.5-million per year contract. He's a .500 pitcher and I have little faith in his ability to ever put together a big year when it counts. He has his best years like last year when there's no pressure and nothing on the line.

This year, when he was supposed to be the ace of the staff, he's regressed from 2007 to be a .500 pitcher again. The Sox can find a .500 pitcher for a lot less than $11.5-million a year.

I wouldn't trade Buehrle, Danks, or Floyd.

Daver
07-11-2008, 10:46 PM

Buehrle can't be traded.

drewcifer
07-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I'd trade Vazquez and his $11.5-million per year contract. He's a .500 pitcher and I have little faith in his ability to ever put together a big year when it counts. He has his best years like last year when there's no pressure and nothing on the line.

This year, when he was supposed to be the ace of the staff, he's regressed from 2007 to be a .500 pitcher again. The Sox can find a .500 pitcher for a lot less than $11.5-million a year.

You can't trade Buehrle and you only trade Danks or Floyd if you're the GM of the Mets.

drewcifer
07-11-2008, 10:58 PM
As for Vazquez, I think (hope) he'll bounce back. EVERYONE knows he has great potential. He came out of his shell HERE and showed what he's capable of.

I believe in him.

Mr. Downtown
07-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Getz played two years on the Cape (it's very unusual for someone to play there during the summer after their freshman year, Getz did) and he made the All Star team his second year. He made the All Star team in Double AA and he made it this year in Triple AAA - besides making the Futures All Star Game this Sunday.

Those things have happened for a reason. He's not only an everyday player at the major league level - he's a very good everyday player.

wealz07
07-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I think Richar would be fine as at the very least a stopgap. The problem with him is he only plays one position and he should be platooned against lefties. I'm pretty confident though that he'd provide above-average offensive production at 2B if he only played against righties. A Richar/Ramirez top of the order would be kinda fun to see.

jabrch
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Those things have happened for a reason. He's not only an everyday player at the major league level - he's a very good everyday player.

Maybe - Maybe not...

Over By There
07-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Getz made a nice play at 2B in the Futures Game today, during the few minutes I was able to watch. Steve Phillips was singing his praises, for what little that's worth.

Tragg
07-13-2008, 04:40 PM
The WSox are not going to "eat" Jose's contract...this year's 5 man rotation is probably next year's as well.
That's flawed logic. Contreras' contract is a sunk cost -you can't get the money back. That a bad reason for pitching him. You give him the Willis/MacDougal treatment if he continues to blow (and I know, the way Ozzie coddles Contreras, Ozzie would probably freak at the mere notion of a demotion, just like he did when Willians wanted to dfa his man Uribe). You do what Seattle did with Sexon.
And even if Conteras and the rest pitch well, the starting pitchign is still razor thin. And if they don't (and 1 or 2 of them are pitching poorly) we have only mediocre candidates to take their place - they should be upgraded in the offseason.

UofCSoxFan
07-14-2008, 12:21 AM
That's flawed logic. Contreras' contract is a sunk cost -you can't get the money back. That a bad reason for pitching him. You give him the Willis/MacDougal treatment if he continues to blow (and I know, the way Ozzie coddles Contreras, Ozzie would probably freak at the mere notion of a demotion, just like he did when Willians wanted to dfa his man Uribe). You do what Seattle did with Sexon.
And even if Conteras and the rest pitch well, the starting pitchign is still razor thin. And if they don't (and 1 or 2 of them are pitching poorly) we have only mediocre candidates to take their place - they should be upgraded in the offseason.

Jose's contract will give him "first dibs" at the job, but if he continues to pitch like he has the past 6 starts, he won't be in baseball next year.

kitekrazy
07-14-2008, 12:32 AM
The Sox can find a .500 pitcher for a lot less than $11.5-million a year.

Really? What is more important? Record or innings?

Look up Francisco Barrios for the 1977 Sox. See if you can find some deductive reasoning.

Wins and losses are not conclusive about the quality of a pitcher.