PDA

View Full Version : Shirts or Jerseys you jumped the gun on

JermaineDye05
07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Now I'm sure I'm not the only fan who does this. I rather enjoy getting my sox jersey's fairly early, especially for young promising players. I've been successful with a few, getting my Jenks jersey in 05 around my (September 8). I got a black sox jersey for my bday and hurried to the closest embroidering place and got bad bobby's name and number stitched on the back. Just this year I ordered my Carlos Quentin t-shirt in mid May, so far it looks pretty good. Now when I get these early I always feel proud of myself because I feel like it's almost like an accomplishment knowing that these guys were going to be great. The problem doing that though is you will sometimes end up with a bust. Now for me that bust, not really a bust right now but not necessarily a great t-shirt to be proud of. Anyways it came in the spring of 07, I purchased a Nick Masset t-shirt. Needless to say in 07 it didn't workout too well :redface:. I am however wearing it today after his "solid" 2 innings of relief last night :D:. I think I just got overwhelmed by the hype I had heard from Steve Stone, I thought he might actually be the real deal lol. Well he's looked pretty good so far this year, hopefully he can come around and my shirt won't look so much like a bust anymore.

So which jerseys or t-shirts did you jump the gun on like myself?

skottyj242
07-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I am 100% happy with every jersey I have purchased.

JGarlandrules20
07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Nick Masset isn't so bad when you have a lovely #55, Brandon McCarthy shirt. :redface:

This is why I stay away from player shirts and/or jerseys. I'm bad luck.

whitesox901
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I just like the Replica's, to be honest I'd love to have players name, number and the sox diamond patch for the sleeve, but I cant/wont pay +$120 for a jersey.....The only reason I have a Grossman Replica Bears' jersey is because it was a Christmas gift

Bucky F. Dent
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
The only one I've got is a Chris Chelios jersey, and in spite of where he currently plays, I have no regrets.

mcfish
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I love my Jeff Bajenaru road gray jersey. I enjoy the confusion I bring to the people who know my name isn't that. I used to call it my Alex Cintron jersey, but he's gone too now...

Doesn't matter, I still like it.

asindc
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I have a Dye jersey, a Gale Sayers rookie jersey, a Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the uninformed) Milwaukee jersey, and a Tim Brown Raider jersey. No regrets here.

Jaffar
07-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I spent a good amount of money and took my dad to the All Star Game in 2003 and he got me a Loaiza jersey while we were there, I actually like the jersey so it doesn't bother me but I wore it the day he came back which was kind of fun. :macho:

jabrch
07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I spent a good amount of money and took my dad to the All Star Game in 2003 and he got me a Loaiza jersey while we were there, I actually like the jersey so it doesn't bother me but I wore it the day he came back which was kind of fun. :macho:

I got me one of those bad boys too...

gobears1987
07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
My 3 jerseys are Frank, Garcia, and Buehrle (that one has an 05 WS patch).

I can't say that any of them are jumping the gun. Garcia was here for 2 1/2 pretty solid years. I bought the jersey right after he signed his 3 year extension. He was crucial in winning the World Series pitching 7 shutout innings and getting the W in Game 4.

As for Frank, it's safe to say that 30 years from now people will still wear #35 at Sox games just as some fans still wear #72 or #3. I honestly think that buying the jersey of a franchise legend is possibly the best move you can make. I mean the only Bears jerseys I have ever bought all had #34 on them. I'll probably never buy a Bears jersey for a player other than Payton.

As for shirts, I've only had one player shirt and it was Shingo. I didn't buy it though. It was a b-day present after the 04 season.

I have seen some really bad jerseys though. I was a Jaime Navarro one on opening day. I would never wear that in public if I owned one.

gobears1987
07-09-2008, 03:12 PM
In reference to the OP, I wouldn't say a Masset jersey is a bust. Masset is still a young pitcher with some upside.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Just bought a Guillen 85 Jersey. Feels like I waited long enough. Harold is next...

hawkjt
I have a Frank..(wise purchase)...a Buehrle( wise) and Crede( looks good so far but could evaporate at the end of the year but I do not really care cuz I will always love Joe for 05 heroics anyway.)

Thinking about Alexei or Carlos...tough call but probably go with TCQ as he is a guy that I just flat out admire for his humility and talent...of course the same is true for Alexei...aaahhhh..what to do..

gobears1987
Just bought a Guillen 85 Jersey. Feels like I waited long enough. Harold is next...Guillen is probably my next jersey. I was thinking of getting a road version of the current jersey with the Comiskey Patch they used to wear.

gobears1987
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Thinking about Alexei or Carlos...tough call but probably go with TCQ as he is a guy that I just flat out admire for his humility and talent...of course the same is true for Alexei...aaahhhh..what to do..
Flip a coin. Neither choice is a bad one.

eriqjaffe
07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I feel kinda bad for anybody who bought a Billy Koch jersey.

BringBackBlkJack
07-09-2008, 03:22 PM
I usually wait until the player has established himself with the team before purchasing a jersey. However, I did buy a Chipper Jones jersey in '95 which I believe was only his 2nd or 3rd full year.

I got burned on a Lindros Flyers jersey, and also a Roenick Flyers jersey. I have a blank Blackhawks one and really want to get a player on there but I should probably hold off.

The only Sox jersey I own is Guillen; he could get fired tomorrow and I won't ever regret buying it.

Red Barchetta
07-09-2008, 03:23 PM

...or Jamie Navarro or Todd Richie or Royce Clayton or David Wells. C'mon, they got to be out there....:D:

Red Barchetta
07-09-2008, 03:24 PM
...oops, forgot my all-time favorite - Mike Caruso. :?:

october23sp
07-09-2008, 03:29 PM
In 03 I bought a Magglio Ordonez Jersey. I gave it to my Tiger's friend the day he hit the grand slam to go to the World Series.:D: Also bought a Carlos Lee jersey the Same day I caught his Home run ball in the MetroDome.

Domeshot17
07-09-2008, 03:43 PM
The only one I almost regretted was My Lance Briggs jersey but that came out ok.

However, my Wife must be the kiss of death haha. In a year her Pods and Mushin Muhammed jerseys have become useless.

Maybe I will buy her a cubs Rich Harden jersey!

UofCSoxFan
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
The Marty Booker Jersey I bought the year before he was traded wasn't the best choice...although I guess I could bust that out again now....too bad he's like 50.

beasly213
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I have a Chicago Bears Marcus Robbinson Jersey... Ouch.

I was at a game this year and saw someone with a James Baldwin Jersey. :scratch:

manders_01
07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
I bought TCQ and Swisher t-shirts when I was in town last month. I hope that neither of those will be all-for-not but only time will tell. Regardless, I'd still wear them and wouldn't regret the purchase.

doublem23
07-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I have a Chicago Bears Marcus Robbinson Jersey... Ouch.

I was at a game this year and saw someone with a James Baldwin Jersey. :scratch:

I had a Cade McNown replica Bears jersey... Until it finally got destroyed from playing football at the park with it.

As for Sox, I still wear my Sirotka jersey. He was the balls.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/955000/images/_956815_mike_sirotka300.jpg

mcfish
07-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I bought a Bears #15 Jim Miller jersey last year. I enjoy that one too.

SOXPHILE
07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Armando Rios and Diangelo Jimenez

TommyGavinFloyd
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Tank Johnson. And no, I am not putting that so I can make a bad pun about "jumping the gun". I actually spent $70 on the thing. :redface:

Jerry Seinfeld
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I had a Michael Vick jersey:scratch:

But I balanced it out years later with a Devin Hester one.

BringBackBlkJack
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I am not putting that so I can make a bad pun about "jumping the gun".

bahahahaaha :D:

A Cedric Benson jersey would have been appropriate if the adage was "jumping the shark." :redneck

Madvora
07-09-2008, 05:27 PM
I have a home, road and alternate Jose Paniagua jersey.

lonestar101285
07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
The Marty Booker Jersey I bought the year before he was traded wasn't the best choice...although I guess I could bust that out again now....too bad he's like 50.

I also have a Booker jersey and got it around the same time you did.

I also made out pretty good with my Konerko jersey with the Comiskey patch

pearso66
07-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a Buehrle jersey and a Dye all star jersey. I also went nuts after the World Series and bought a bunch of shirts, Crede, Guillen, Rowand and Iguchi. But I don't mind any of those.

For the Bears, I have Urlacher and Sayers, which I'm proud to wear, but I also had a Salaam, which finally was ruined by the washer, and I got a very nice Benson jersey that I got for free for signing up for a Bears credit card.

I thought I almost lost Buehrle and Dye last year at the trade deadline, but they are still both looking good, and I wouldn't have cared anyway. It was almost very possible that the Guillen shirt was the only one still with the team out of all the shirts and jerseys in a matter of a year.

LongLiveFisk
07-09-2008, 10:33 PM
As for Frank, it's safe to say that 30 years from now people will still wear #35 at Sox games just as some fans still wear #72 or #3. I honestly think that buying the jersey of a franchise legend is possibly the best move you can make. I mean the only Bears jerseys I have ever bought all had #34 on them. I'll probably never buy a Bears jersey for a player other than Payton.

This is my philosophy and that's why I have Fisk jerseys and a Payton jersey. Wearing the legends on your back is timeless, so you can never go wrong with that.

I'm still tempted to get a Roenick Blackhawks jersey as well. To me that's also timeless, although some may disagree. :smile:

rocky biddle
07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I had a Brad Muster jersey as a kid. I wish I still had that bad boy today.

Parrothead
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
...oops, forgot my all-time favorite - Mike Caruso. :?:

Bring it to a Joliet Jackhammers game, I am sure he will sign it. But hurry I can't imagine that he will the DH for long.

The one jersey that gets my gander up is the game worn Aaron Myette that I got. Sure it was only $25 and the home sleeveless one. But I thought he was going to be good and I forgot that the Sox traded him to Texas for Royce Clayton. The trading part is what pissed me off.

Rockin Robin
07-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I love obscure jerseys. If given the choice between wearing my Buehrle jersey, or a Warren Newson jersey...I think the choice is pretty obvious.

tacosalbarojas
07-09-2008, 11:49 PM
I love obscure jerseys. If given the choice between wearing my Buehrle jersey, or a Warren Newson jersey...I think the choice is pretty obvious.I've been waiting for years to see a McKay Christensen jersey. Come on, I know there's one out there.

ChicagoRushFan
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Throwback jerseys are the way to go. You have no worries about the guy getting traded, logos changing, etc. as long as he doesn't murder his ex-wife anyway.

With that said, when I was younger I had a Natrone Means Chargers jersey.

UofCSoxFan
07-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Throwback jerseys are the way to go. You have no worries about the guy getting traded, logos changing, etc. as long as he doesn't murder his ex-wife anyway.

Natrone Means Business.

Vernam
07-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Have never bought a genuine jersey but have a bunch of the generic black tees with Sox script on the front and various '05 players' names on the back. Plus a Thome and, as of this week, Quentin. Had to get a TCQ shirt in reaction to my wife always talking about how cute he is. :wink:

Those tees are cheap -- Quentin's is the only one I paid more than $10 for, and most were closer to $5. It's probably a false economy because I could have one really nice jersey instead of so many tees, but whatever.

During the Sunday game at Wrigley, I saw some douchebag wearing a top-of-the-line Cubs jersey with Edmonds's name and number. This was about three weeks after they acquired him, and one week after they nearly released him. Talk about a fan who has more money than sense . . .

Vernam

KnightSox
07-10-2008, 12:36 AM
This is my philosophy and that's why I have Fisk jerseys and a Payton jersey. Wearing the legends on your back is timeless, so you can never go wrong with that.

I'm still tempted to get a Roenick Blackhawks jersey as well. To me that's also timeless, although some may disagree. :smile:I agree, but Isn't having a jersey from a player on the '05 team (specifically AJ) make them timeless, even if he does not finish his career here?

Also, I saw someone wearing an authentic home Fisk jersey with the WS champs patch, is it right or wrong?

scarsofthumper
07-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Dan Pasqua. :o

GrayeDog
07-10-2008, 01:46 AM
I have a blank jersey and have SERIOUSLY considered getting "Christensen" on the back, because it's by far the best obscure name I can think of. That, or maybe an "Abbott" or "Liefer" -- cause I'm pretty sure almost NO ONE will know "Simmons" on the back of a jersey is the long-lost Brian Simmons, another "future starting CF"

speny21
07-10-2008, 02:50 AM
Tank Johnson. And no, I am not putting that so I can make a bad pun about "jumping the gun". I actually spent $70 on the thing. :redface:

You think that's bad............

I bought a C. Benson jersey before the super bowl (that late because finances were tight) only to have him STB (s*** the bed) in the big game. We all now what happened afterwords...making me think twice about purchasing a Hester jersey for fear of a jinx....

Sucks being a Chicago sports fan in New Mexico...........

MiamiSpartan
07-10-2008, 07:58 AM
My Sox road jersey is an Ordonez one from some years back....not really thrilled with that one, but I do wear it around the house on occasion. I would like to get another one, tho....
I do have a Pods black jersey from 05 with a WS patch, but I don't have a problem with that, since he was so important to that team...

skottyj242
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM

:redface:

LongLiveFisk
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
I agree, but Isn't having a jersey from a player on the '05 team (specifically AJ) make them timeless, even if he does not finish his career here?

Also, I saw someone wearing an authentic home Fisk jersey with the WS champs patch, is it right or wrong?

For your first issue, I guess it's up to you. For example, someone like Cliff Politte was on the '05 team and he made a great contribution but that doesn't mean I'd buy his jersey. If you wanted a jersey like that and added the WS patch or something like that, it would be cool but again, not something I'd do. I think it depends on how much you personally like or want that specific player.

For your second issue, I think it's historically incorrect so I wouldn't do it. To me, that's like putting the 1983 All-Star patch on a current Sox jersey. It just doesn't belong there. But I'm just telling you my own opinion here; I'm not knocking anyone else if they want to do it.

Chez
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
I love obscure jerseys. If given the choice between wearing my Buehrle jersey, or a Warren Newson jersey...I think the choice is pretty obvious.

I'm with you on this one. My two sons have Wunsch and Eyre jerseys which they wear to every game.

Bucky F. Dent
07-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Good idea - need to get myself a Richie Zisk jersey from the year of the Hitmen.

A little help, where could I have one of those bad boys made?

Cuck the Fubs
07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Good idea - need to get myself a Richie Zisk jersey from the year of the Hitmen.

Do let me know if you find one of these.........this may sound crazy, but as a child my 2 favorite White Sox players were Richie Zisk & Bucky Dent. I then moved onto Harold Baines & Tom Paciorek.

As a matter of fact I still have my 1st baseball glove, which just so happens to be a "Richie Zisk" model. :cool:

soxpride724
07-10-2008, 11:15 AM
My Sox road jersey is an Ordonez one from some years back....not really thrilled with that one, but I do wear it around the house on occasion. I would like to get another one, tho....
I do have a Pods black jersey from 05 with a WS patch, but I don't have a problem with that, since he was so important to that team...

I have a Pods home and alternate with WS patches and I still wear them every now and then. I also have a Garland with WS patches.

My theory is this, if the player was on a meanigful team or you have some sort of sentimental attachment to that past player, the jersey will never go out of style.

Also to a previous poster, I agree that $200.00 is alot to spend on a jersey so I just buy the replicas too and have numbers sewn on the front and patches sewn on as well.

C-Dawg
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM

I wish!! I've been lobbying for years for Majestic or someone to produce them so that we can get them customized (instead of the Fisk jerseys that are sometimes available from Mitchell & Ness). I want a Jim Spencer jersey.

Mickster
07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Really screwed up when I bought my Jose Paniagua jersey back in '03. :redneck

HebrewHammer
07-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Well, I still have my Tadahito Iguchi alternate and Aaron Rowand road jersey. Do those count?

jonred
07-11-2008, 12:58 PM
That's easy...any Bears offensive player not named Devin Hester!