PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which Dream Scenario Would You Take Right Now, No Questions Asked?

White City
07-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not assessing the likelihood of any of these, just seeing which one you guys think would most improve this team right now. Some of these don't seem likely.

hi im skot
07-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Where to start...

ms620
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I voted for Konerko. In my opinion, him and Thome are the keys for the second half. We cannot go through 3 more months of having 2 power hitters in the middle of the order batting in the low .200s.

ElevenUp
07-09-2008, 12:05 PM
If Paulie goes .300/.425/.650 in the second half the Sox win the division going away.

asindc
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
I voted for Alexei becoming a top-flight leadoff guy. We have guys already filling those other roles, or close to it (except for the Floyd 20-game winning scenario, which he just might do himself), but we haven't had a top-flight leadoff guy since 1-Dog.

kobo
07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I voted for Paulie's scenario. He will be key to the success of the team after the ASB.

Law11
07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
I voted bobby. No true closer means more of last night.
its all a mindset and Bobby is that guy.

whitesox901
07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I did Gavin, Good pitching beats good hitting

whitem0nkey
07-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Its a hard call between Konerko and Jenks.

Domeshot17
07-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I voted for the Cuban Missle. The one element we don't have is a guy who has game changing speed atop the lineup. He has been showing as of late that his speed can be a huge impact (scoring from 2nd on a sac fly, scoring on gappers etc). You can almost live with a crappy pk if the Rest of the offense holds strong and Alex is changing the game from the 1 hole.

The Milkman
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I voted for the Cuban Missle. The one element we don't have is a guy who has game changing speed atop the lineup. He has been showing as of late that his speed can be a huge impact (scoring from 2nd on a sac fly, scoring on gappers etc). You can almost live with a crappy pk if the Rest of the offense holds strong and Alex is changing the game from the 1 hole.

Dude hasn't proved he can steal bases at the major league level...it's not too much different than having OC at the top of the lineup.

I voted PK w/ Jenks a solid #2. Paulie and Thome ARE the keys to our 2nd half.

BringBackBlkJack
07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I voted Gavin because it was the only choice that accounted for wins, the only stat that matters.

So what if PK comes back and tears it up when we are down 8-0 in a game? Pitching wins championships. We need for Gavin and Danks to maintain their dominance if we are going to get to the postseason.

PolishPower83
07-09-2008, 01:22 PM
It's definitely Bobby. If big boi doesn't come back strong and healthy in the second half we're toast. We will be forced to tinker with our bullpen to find the right solution when we all know which formula works best: Dotel in the seventh, Liney in the eighth and Big Bad Bobby for the save.

TDog
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
It's definitely Bobby. If big boi doesn't come back strong and healthy in the second half we're toast. We will be forced to tinker with our bullpen to find the right solution when we all know which formula works best: Dotel in the seventh, Liney in the eighth and Big Bad Bobby for the save.

As in the June 4 game against the Royals in Chicago, when Linebrink pitched a scoreless eight and Jenks gave up two runs to tie the game with just one out in the ninth. Dotel got the win in that game, pitching 2.2 scoreless innings and benefiting from Konerko's 15th inning game-ending home run.

skottyj242
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
All of the above.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
No reason we can't get multiples of these to varying degrees.

PolishPower83
07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
As in the June 4 game against the Royals in Chicago, when Linebrink pitched a scoreless eight and Jenks gave up two runs to tie the game with just one out in the ninth. Dotel got the win in that game, pitching 2.2 scoreless innings and benefiting from Konerko's 15th inning game-ending home run.

**** happens. No plan is a guarantee. But the Dotel+Linebrink+Jenks combination has led to far more White Sox wins than losses this season. Give me that combo over any other in the bigs.

TDog
07-09-2008, 02:27 PM
**** happens. No plan is a guarantee. But the Dotel+Linebrink+Jenks combination has led to far more White Sox wins than losses this season. Give me that combo over any other in the bigs.

And it happened last night to Linebrink against a team that it happened against to Jenks earlier in the season.

I'm a believer that a bullpen is a commitee, and if you have a strong bullpen, I see nothing wrong with establishing a modified closer by commitee. It used to be an effective way to close out ballgames. When Bobby Thigpen was setting the single-season save record, I heard Dave Campbell talking about how other teams that split up the closer duties had a percentage of successful saves. Having Rich Gossage and Terry Forster in the Sox bullpen to close out games (although Gossage was mostly a starter in his later years with the Sox in the early days of his career) was better than having one or the other.

Linebrink has given up runs in his last four appearances. Three were in save situations, but one was not. I'm not sure he isn't in a slump where he would be giving up runs as a setup man, where he would be as ineffective in the eighth as he was closing. Regardless, if the Sox are playing four-straight one-run games, even a healthy Jenks shouldn't be called on to get the last out in all of them.

PolishPower83
07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
if the Sox are playing four-straight one-run games, even a healthy Jenks shouldn't be called on to get the last out in all of them.

Good point. I agree that each game has unique circumstances and a lot of different factors (fatigue, matchups, score) should be considered before deciding who to bring in from the bullpen. And I've seen the Dotel+Linebrink+Jenks combo blow an occasional lead or two this season. But if all three are healthy and dealing like we know they can, the Sox will be in pretty good shape.

Mohoney
07-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I picked the Wise option, and I admit there is no logic to it.

I just picked it because when a few guys like that have years way beyond their career norms, it usually bodes well for the team they play for.

JB98
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
If Konerko gets hot the second half, make your plans for October baseball on the South Side. That was my choice.

The Jenks option was tempting. I think Bobby will be OK, though, even if his velocity is in the low 90s. He's tough mentally, and he knows how to pitch.

Boondock Saint
07-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I voted for Alexei. I think having Alexei as a solid lead off man makes our entire line up better. Alexei at lead off allows the Sox to move OC further back, making the tail end of the line up better, and that would greatly help add consistency to our offense.

IlliniSox4Life
07-09-2008, 07:18 PM
In this poll, it has to be Bobby, hands down.

The alternative to the other choices aren't that bad. All of the hitters can still have decent seasons even if they aren't winning batting titles. Even Floyd can still have a good season with 16 wins and a 3.9 ERA. The alternative to pitchers coming back from the DL and doing good is pretty much a pitcher coming back and doing really bad. We can survive without Bobby for a while, but he is a critical part of the team for the second half and the playoffs.

Railsplitter
07-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Paulie having a monster second half. Methinks he was hurt well before going on the DL.

WhiteSox5187
07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I voted for Bobby, but watching tonight's game makes me wish that either/or Javy or Jose would turn it around and stay that way for the whole second half.

peeonwrigley
07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
If Jenks doesn't come back healthy, the second half could be really, really painful.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-10-2008, 06:17 PM
but we haven't had a top-flight leadoff guy since 1-Dog.

:pods: Come again?

I voted for the Konerko one. The main problem I see in this team is the inconsistent offense. If Paulie can step up, it will help the team more than anyone else's performance.

Stringer
07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Paulie beasting in the second half

FTW!!!

:bandance:

MCHSoxFan
07-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I voted for Konerko. In my opinion, him and Thome are the keys for the second half. We cannot go through 3 more months of having 2 power hitters in the middle of the order batting in the low .200s.

Yeah. If everybody else plays like they have been and Paulie does good/GREAT to that...Oh man! I would never sleep! We don't need Alexei to play better or Dewayne Wise to play better or Jenks to go nuts. All we need is for everybody plays like they have and Paulie goes nuts, we will be sooo damn good I would wanna play 24/7.

A. Cavatica
07-10-2008, 09:18 PM
we haven't had a top-flight leadoff guy since 1-Dog.

One Dog was hardly a top-flight leadoff guy...in six full seasons for us, his OBP was .325 or under four times.

Gavin
07-10-2008, 09:48 PM
um if you wouldn't take a 40/120 guy you're nuts

DickAllen72
07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I voted Floyd winning 20, because that's 20 guaranteed wins. All of the other scenarios, while great, guarantee nothing in the W/L column.