PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question regarding trades made before the All Star game

83 ALROY
07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
With the recent trades sending Hardin and Sabathia from the AL to the NL, I thought occurred to me. What if one of these guys had been named to the AL all star team? Would they play for the AL team, the NL team, or sit out?
:scratch:

Now that the all star game is more than just an exhibition, it seems unlikely that they would continue to play for the AL since they would be playing against the best interest of their new teams. However, they wouldn't fit into the roster of the already named NL team.

I know this is just a hypothetical scenario this year, but does anyone know if this has actually happened? If so, how was it handled?

Lip Man 1
07-09-2008, 12:39 PM
This has actually happened once before regarding a player on the Reds.

What happens is that player simply "goes" to the other leagues all star team.

Lip

83 ALROY
07-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Lip

Thanks.
I guess you just have to be careful which players are named to the team, they may end up playing against you.

BBaum21
07-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Lip

The reliever Lip is referring to is Jeff Shaw, who was traded from the Reds to the Dodgers before the 1998 All-Star Game at Coors Field. In the deal, a fellow named Paul Konerko came to the Reds.

chaerulez
07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
The reliever Lip is referring to is Jeff Shaw, who was traded from the Reds to the Dodgers before the 1998 All-Star Game at Coors Field. In the deal, a fellow named Paul Konerko came to the Reds.

The Reds and Dodgers play in different leagues?

BBaum21
07-09-2008, 01:12 PM
The Reds and Dodgers play in different leagues?

I realize they both play in the National League. I'm not stupid. The first time Shaw put on his Dodgers uniform was at the All-Star Game. That was my point.

popilius
07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Also, Carl Everett was traded to the White Sox on July 1st, 2003. He made the All-Star team with Texas but wore a White Sox uniform at the All-Star game at U.S. Cellular.

:gulp:

Tekijawa
07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Didn't this happen just recently and the player wasn't able to go to the AS game? Maybe I'm confusing it with another sport? But there are only so many "spots" on each team, the player was replaced by another in their own league. They couldn't be able to play for their current league because the rosters are set. And I can't see how they could let them play in their former league because now "it counts" and presumably the All-Star would be going to a contending team.

chaerulez
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I realize they both play in the National League. I'm not stupid. The first time Shaw put on his Dodgers uniform was at the All-Star Game. That was my point.

Well it was a little confusing because the thread was about trades between AL and NL. I would think it's common sense that a trade player within a league would result in just an uniform change.

doublem23
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Lip

Uh, no.

A) Your referring to Jeff Shaw who was dealt to the Dodgers so he stayed in the same league and

B) If a player jumps leagues they DO NOT simply play for the other team. The only time that has happened was in 2004 when Carlos Beltran, who had been named a starter for the A.L. was traded by the Royals to the Astros. He originally wasn't going to be able to play for the National League, but Ken Griffey, Jr. pulled out of the game due to injury, so he was named his replacement.

UofCSoxFan
07-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Uh, no.

A) Your referring to Jeff Shaw who was dealt to the Dodgers so he stayed in the same league and

B) If a player jumps leagues they DO NOT simply play for the other team. The only time that has happened was in 2004 when Carlos Beltran, who had been named a starter for the A.L. was traded by the Royals to the Astros. He originally wasn't going to be able to play for the National League, but Ken Griffey, Jr. pulled out of the game due to injury, so he was named his replacement.

Yep...I couldn't remember the example...but that's it. And just to add, it was still up to the manager's discretion as to who to replace Griffey with. He chose Beltran becasue it was probaby the most fair thing to do, but there was not obligation there.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Double:

Uh no.

I just checked on this with a friend in the MLB offices.

If a player selected to the All Star Game is traded before the game itself into a different league he is included in the All Star roster for his new league. Now this may be new policy in the wake of the Beltran situation, I don't know...I only know what I was told out of the league office.

Take it for what it's worth.

Lip

Foulke You
07-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Regardless, it would seem that the AL is going to have a roster spot opened up for a starting pitcher for the all star game right? Gavin Floyd or John Danks anyone? Ah who am I kidding, it will probably be another Red Sox or Yankee player.:rolleyes:

Max Power
07-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I just checked on this with a friend in the MLB offices.

If a player selected to the All Star Game is traded before the game itself into a different league he is included in the All Star roster for his new league. Now this may be new policy in the wake of the Beltran situation, I don't know...I only know what I was told out of the league office.

Take it for what it's worth.

Lip

I wonder if the team getting the player would then have 33 players or would a player already on that team be told he's off the team? I assume the team losing the player would be able to name a replacement.

pierzynski07
07-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I heard this question brought up on WMVP by a caller around 11:15, and after I switched to WSCR about 11:20, a caller asked the exact same thing!

As far as Beltran goes, when he was traded, his votes went with him (http://astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040624&content_id=779725&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou). However, at the time, it dropped him from seventh in AL OFs to eight in NL OFs!

Also, he wasn't on a team at the time. I believe the question here is what happens when someone is traded to the other league after they had already been put on an All Star roster?

Lip Man 1
07-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Max:

My understanding is that say a player on the A.L. All Star team is traded to the N.L.

The A.L. gets to name a replacement so that they aren't shorthanded. The player going to the N.L. is simply added to the club. In other words they play with one more guy on the team then the A.L. Another N.L. player isn't penalized because of the trade by being dropped.

Lip