PDA

View Full Version : Scoring From Second On A Sac Fly

Lip Man 1
07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Regarding Ramirez scoring from second base on a sac fly. It doesn't happen often but it has happened at least twice that I personally know of regarding the Sox:

1. In 1971 I was actually at a game at Comiskey Park when the Sox beat the Twins 3-2. In that game either Jay Johnstone or Rich McKinney hit a deep fly to left center that was caught (maybe Caesar Tovar?) and while the outfielder was turning around Lee "Bee-Bee" Richards scored all the way from second base.

2. This one I have on video-- May 15, 1983. Sox at N.Y. in the 7th inning Greg Walker hit a tremendous drive to deep left center at Yankee Stadium that was caught by Jerry Mumphrey. Mike Squires scored easily from 3rd base but in the shock of all shocks Marc "Booter" Hill was waived around third by Jimmy Leyland and he also scored! The Sox would win 7-3. Might be interesting to see if Greg Walker remembers this play.

Lip

ondafarm
07-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I'd think Walk remembers each time Marc Hill scored.

russ99
07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd think Walk remembers each time Marc Hill scored.

Gotta love The Booter.

Blob
07-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I was at the game in the late 90's when Mike Cameron scored from second on Albert Belle's sac fly.

Optipessimism
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I think it happened to the Cubs in that magical 2006 season.

lonestar101285
07-09-2008, 12:47 PM
How about when Joe Borchard(?) scored from second base on an infield single to win a game in extra innings in 2004 (?) Its not the same thing, but I think that was just as impressive.

A.T. Money
07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm sure he remembers...as rare as something like this happens.

Orta 4-6-3
07-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Regarding Ramirez scoring from second base on a sac fly. It doesn't happen often but it has happened at least twice that I personally know of regarding the Sox:

1. In 1971 I was actually at a game at Comiskey Park when the Sox beat the Twins 3-2. In that game either Jay Johnstone or Rich McKinney hit a deep fly to left center that was caught (maybe Caesar Tovar?) and while the outfielder was turning around Lee "Bee-Bee" Richards scored all the way from second base.

He did that another time that season, scoring from second on a sac fly by Carlos May to beat Oakland 2-1.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
It was July 7, 1971. The sac fly was off the bat of Rich McKinney. The ball was caught by Angel Manguel.

Lip

Taliesinrk
07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
My memory could be failing me, but I think Robin Ventura scored from second on a sac fly in Toronto in the 90s.

Sockinchisox
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
The Twins did it this year as well.

Zisk77
07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
freddie Patek did it against us in the late 70's or early 80's on a drive to deep center at old comiskey late in a game to beat us. I don't remember who hit it...Amos Otis, John Wathan, ?

cws05champ
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I think the Pirates(possibly someone else) did it to the Cubs a couple years back as well.

JGarlandrules20
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
How about when Joe Borchard(?) scored from second base on an infield single to win a game in extra innings in 2004 (?) Its not the same thing, but I think that was just as impressive.

Yeah, that was Borchard. I was at that game in '04. That was an amazing comeback!

I think the fact it was a close play at first made it easier for him to score safely, as the Tigers were a little preoccupied arguing the play.

TDog
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM

2. This one I have on video-- May 15, 1983. Sox at N.Y. in the 7th inning Greg Walker hit a tremendous drive to deep left center at Yankee Stadium that was caught by Jerry Mumphrey. Mike Squires scored easily from 3rd base but in the shock of all shocks Marc "Booter" Hill was waived around third by Jimmy Leyland and he also scored! The Sox would win 7-3. Might be interesting to see if Greg Walker remembers this play.

Lip

That is the one I was trying to come up with in Tuesday night's game thread. I remembed it was Hill who scored. I couldn't remember the exact year, park or hitter. I usually remember those things.

When Richard did it, the few White Sox fans in my neighborhood thought it was an incredible thing. I don't know that Hill devalued the achievement. Richard was low flying around the bases. The ball that Hill scored on probably would have been a home run in most parks, maybe even the Grand Canyon as Harry Caray used to say.

The Twins scored a runner from second on a sacrifice fly earlier this year in a game they won, irritating some Sox fans with their ability to do whatever it takes to score.