PDA

View Full Version : What Do The Sox Have As Insurance For Starting Pitching?

Lillian
07-09-2008, 08:21 AM
This issue has been touched on in previous threads, however it might be time to seriously contemplate what insurance the Sox have if one of the starters goes down.
We all know that pitching is the most important ingredient for success, especially in the post season. This team has had tremendous pitching all year, however there is very little Big League ready back up personnel in the organization.
Clayton Richard is very intriguing, and has had even better success at Charlotte than he had at AA. He keeps the ball in the Park with his sinker, works very quickly, and he has only given up 3 walks in 32 innings. Do you think he would be able to be a fifth starter, if someone went down?
Is Broadway ready to fill that same void?

I would still love to see the Sox get very aggressive in the Freddy Garcia "sweepstakes". They certainly should have the inside track with Ozzie's family, and friendship ties to the ex Sox starter.

This staff has been very healthy for a couple of seasons, and that's great, but injuries are always a big risk, when it comes to pitchers. I can't see the Sox making a trade, primarily because they don't have the pieces to offer, nor the urgency with everyone still healthy. We are talking about insurance, and paying some substantial money to get it seems like the most sensible thing to do. Freddy would of course have to prove that he is healthy, but if he is, why not bring him back?

white sox bill
07-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Broadway? Haeger? Estaban L? Massett? Russell?

Lillian
07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
P.S. I might add that even a healthy Jose Contreras should leave Sox fans with an uncomfortable feeling. He has never given the Sox more than half a season of good pitching, and we may have already seen his good half for 2009. I doubt that he would start in the Post Season, but I wouldn't call him much more than a 5th starter at this point in his career. If one of the other guys went down, would you really feel confident with Jose moving up to a Post Season starter?

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 08:31 AM
P.S. I might add that even a healthy Jose Contreras should leave Sox fans with an uncomfortable feeling. He has never given the Sox more than half a season of good pitching, and we may have already seen his good half for 2009. I doubt that he would start in the Post Season, but I wouldn't call him much more than a 5th starter at this point in his career. If one of the other guys went down, would you really feel confident with Jose moving up to a Post Season starter?

It's way too early to speculate. At this time in 2005, Chicago was trying to run Jose out of town. He became our best starter after that.

white sox bill
07-09-2008, 08:32 AM

Hell I'm nervous about him lately during regular season. Hope he bounces back, when he's on he's damn good

Lillian
07-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Loaiza is not healthy.
Haeger could be an option, and has been pitching better of late, now that the weather has turned conducive to the knuckle ball. Do the Sox have a catcher who could handle him?
Massett is probably the best option on the current roster.

palehozenychicty
07-09-2008, 08:34 AM
I know that they have briefly discussed Garcia, but I think they should revisit it, just on the cheap. Contreras is only going to give you half a season of quality starts. If not them, then give a deserving arm from the system a shot. What's the worst that could happen?

white sox bill
07-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Loaiza is not healthy.
Haeger could be an option, and has been pitching better of late, now that the weather has turned conducive to the knuckle ball. Do the Sox have a catcher who could handle him?
Massett is probably the best option on the current roster.

Whats the dateline for EL to return? Not a Haegar fan, although Sammy's ok, and yes Massett is prob out spot stater for now

Rockabilly
07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm a huge fan of Clayton Richard.

Hopefully he will be on the team this sept....

Lillian
07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
It's way too early to speculate. At this time in 2005, Chicago was trying to run Jose out of town. He became our best starter after that.

"It's way too early..."? Do you really think there will be viable options available later, if the need arises. We're talking about insurance here, and is it ever too early to have insurance? It's like Yogi says in the Aflak commercial; "If you don't have it, that's why you need it". Freddy would only cost money, not prospects, a resourse that is in short supply in this organization.

doublem23
07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Broadway has pitched well all year in Charlotte and they play in a bandbox. Richard's also looked pretty good.

After that.. I hope Coop can fix him. :raincloud:

white sox bill
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
IIRC Freddy's out for atg least half season, meaning anytime now. I would assume he would need a rehersal at Charlotte for a while. I agree, lets be pro-active here and think the unthinkable. I think Jenks will be back after break and will pitch lights out

oeo
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM

Name off all our crap. :lol:

Russell is no longer a starter, though.

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 08:48 AM
"It's way too early..."? Do you really think there will be viable options available later, if the need arises. We're talking about insurance here, and is it ever too early to have insurance? It's like Yogi says in the Aflak commercial; "If you don't have it, that's why you need it". Freddy would only cost money, not prospects, a resourse that is in short supply in this organization.

They're not going to go sign or trade for anyone right now, when they do not have a problem. The current insurance consists of Nick, Steve if he gets healthy, Broadway, and another guy or two mentioned. The Sox have the best pitching staff in MLB as it currently stands. They also have a starting rotation that has never really had any health problems. Any "insurance" they go out and get right now would not be much better (if any) that what thery have in-house.

white sox bill
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM

Yea thats my point. We need plan B or whatever KW calls it now

Lillian
07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
They're not going to go sign or trade for anyone right now, when they do not have a problem. The current insurance consists of Nick, Steve if he gets healthy, Broadway, and another guy or two mentioned. The Sox have the best pitching staff in MLB as it currently stands. They also have a starting rotation that has never really had any health problems. Any "insurance" they go out and get right now would not be much better (if any) that what thery have in-house.

It's nice to know that you're so confident. I hope that you're right. Unfortunately, I am not reassured. The fact that our staff has been injury free, while somewhat comforting, does seem to suggest that they might be due for some kind of health issues. It's rare to keep a whole staff healthy for extended periods. The greater point is simply that we're talking about insurance as protection against the unforseen. We all understand that so far the staff has been both good and healthy, but that is no guarantee of future circumstances. Wouldn't you rather see management be proactive?

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 09:54 AM
It's nice to know that you're so confident. I hope that you're right. Unfortunately, I am not reassured. The fact that our staff has been injury free, while somewhat comforting, does seem to suggest that they might be due for some kind of health issues. It's rare to keep a whole staff healthy for extended periods. The greater point is simply that we're talking about insurance as protection against the unforseen. We all understand that so far the staff has been both good and healthy, but that is no guarantee of future circumstances. Wouldn't you rather see management be proactive?

I think you're missing a big part of my point. What type of insurance could KW go out there and get? It is highly probable that any insurance he can realistically get would be, at best, slightly better than the in-house options. When the probability of a significant upgrade is low, combined with a relatively low chance of needed such insurance, then it probably does not make sense to make a move.

Now, if KW can move Jose and some spare parts for a #3 starter, then go for it. But that's not going to happen. So we'd essentially be looking at giving up value for a back end of the rotation starter. Well, is that really much better than Nick, Broadway, etc? Especially given the price?

jabrch
07-09-2008, 10:09 AM
We have more than enough "insurance" for a 5th starter. I wouldn't go there. If we are to make a move for SP, it needs to be for front of the rotation stuff, not spot starters. Nick M, Broadway, Haeger, etc. etc. could all fill in just fine if we have a need. When we get to the post season and go to a 4 man rotation, none of those guys will be a part of it. (for that matter, nor does it look like Jose will)

skottyj242
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Tomo Ohka?

kittle42
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Tomo Ohka?

He's insurance - ensuring the other team's victory.

skottyj242
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
D.J. Carrasco?

Lip Man 1
07-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Latest info I read on Freddy was that Ozzie and the Sox had internal discussions about him but decided to pass for now. Freddy throws for MLB scouts at the end of the month. The Tigers, Mets and Yankees were reportedly very interested.

Lip

whitesox901
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM

Broadway is Crap? 8-4, 3.75 ERA, 72 SO, 112.2 IP and 47 ER

Sure not steller, but I wouldnt call him Crap

Sockinchisox
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Dewon Day.

No, I'm serious, he's a starter at AA now.

Lillian
07-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Thanks for all of your comments. After reading them, I'm still not completely comfortable heading into the stretch with Jose pitching the way he is, and Javy being pretty bad for a month. I worry more about Javy than Jose, as we would need him in the Post Season.
The good news is that Clayton Richards pitched another good game last night. He has now given up just 4 walks in 38 innings since being called up to Charlotte. His WHIP is now 0.76. He could be a factor before this season is over.
I also think most of you will be pleased with the call up of Carrasco. This guy can pitch. He has a very big repertoire of pitches, and pretty good control. I met his wife at Spring training, and had several lengthy conversations with her. I've followed him a little more closely than some of the other minor league players, ever since.
I'd still like to see what it would take to get Freddy Garcia back in a Sox uniform. That guy can compete. In stark contrast to Jose's whining over one thing or another, Freddy would take the mound with his arm falling off, and he'd battle, and find a way to get outs. If he's as healthy as he claims he is, he could be a great asset, and would look pretty good about now.
At any rate, thanks again for the input.

Frontman
07-10-2008, 07:03 AM
What kind of insurance? I dunno:

http://www.nevadainsured.com/images/aflac_duck_2.jpg

Think this little guy can throw a nasty slider?

"AFLAC!"

Stringer
07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Nick Masset

Lillian
07-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Well, if the Playoffs started in a few days, who would you feel confident in right now? Beyond Danks and Buerhle, I wouldn't like our chances with any of our other starters right now. I still think they should take a closer look at Freddy.
Then there is the added benefit of keeping him away from the Tigers, assuming of course that he can still be effective.

Frontman
07-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, if the Playoffs started in a few days, who would you feel confident in right now? Beyond Danks and Buerhle, I wouldn't like our chances with any of our other starters right now. I still think they should take a closer look at Freddy.
Then there is the added benefit of keeping him away from the Tigers, assuming of course that he can still be effective.

Yes, I do. Gavin had a horrid outing last night; but has been solid for a while. Jose is Jose; and has the possibility of being solid.

Javy is an enigma to me. He was lights out early this season, then has struggled recently.

In some ways, I can't wait for Monday, as the team will be off; Joe and Carlos will represent the Sox in the ASG, and the rest of the team will get a much deserved rest.

johnnyg83
07-13-2008, 01:20 AM
D.J. Carrasco?

I tip my hat after yesterday's outing ... to a loaded lineup in a hitter's park ...

Mohoney
07-15-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't know why, but I really think that Lance Broadway can be a 5th starter for us if something were to happen. I like how he works both sides of the plate, and I think that he can definitely be an asset at the major league level.

He doesn't have that great stuff that you would look for from a major league starter, but he did pitch really well at the major league level last year for a short stint, and he is walking far less guys this year than he did last year. It makes me think that maybe this guy, who is only a month under 25 years of age, is progressing pretty well.

I think he deserves the first shot if a situation presents itself.