PDA

View Full Version : Two Things I've Noticed

Madvora
07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Carlos Quentin seems to be crouched down a lot more in his batting stance now. He's much lower now than when he was really on fire. Anyone else noticing this?
This year Jermaine Dye seems to be having a lot of communication problems with the centerfielders. I've noticed plays where he's either running into or cutting off Anderson, Ramirez and Wise. I can't remember if this happened with Swisher though.

Cangelosi CF
07-09-2008, 08:15 AM
This year Jermaine Dye seems to be having a lot of communication problems with the centerfielders. I've noticed plays where he's either running into or cutting off Anderson, Ramirez and Wise. I can't remember if this happened with Swisher though.

the one last night where he & Anderson almost collided, I couldn't tell if anyone was talking. From what I recall of my Little League days, CF always has the final say. OTOH, that ball was Dye's and if he didn't say anything, would explain why Anderson and he bumped.

Dye was laughing about it after the catch though. :?:

PatK
07-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I've noticed the crouching thing with Carlos as well.

The Immigrant
07-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Carlos Quentin seems to be crouched down a lot more in his batting stance now. He's much lower now than when he was really on fire. Anyone else noticing this?

Not sure if he's crouching down more, but his stance is more open now than it was even a week ago. To my completely untrained eye, it looks like he's opening his shoulder too early and thus popping up every other at bat. He's missed some real cookies the last couple of games.

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Not sure if he's crouching down more, but his stance is more open now than it was even a week ago. To my completely untrained eye, it looks like he's opening his shoulder too early and thus popping up every other at bat. He's missed some real cookies the last couple of games.

My guess is that he is fatigued. I don't think he has ever been through a 162 game grind, with his injuries. While I am thrilled he made the All-Star team, I hope he is able to rest his body for most of the break and come back fresh.

twsoxfan5
07-09-2008, 08:39 AM

On the second point my seats are right-center and Swisher always does a good job of directing the outfield, or trying to anyways. I say trying to b/c it seems like every time he tells Dye to bring it in a little or go a little closer to the line Dye looks over and maybe takes one step, but does not really move. To me it seems like Dye is thinking he knows where he should be and he does not need someone else to tell him where to line up. So this could also come into play on fly balls as well. Maybe Dye thinks that it is his ball as long as he can get there. And Anderson/Swisher are thinking that since they are the centerfielders that it is there job to get to every ball. Not sure but just a thought.

thedudeabides
07-09-2008, 08:44 AM

I agree about his stance being more open. He doesn't seem to be closing at all on the pitch. I know they originally opened his stance a bit because he was getting beat on inside pitches, but lately it seems much more exagerated.

On the second point regarding Dye. He seems to have this problem no matter who is in center. I've noticed this for a couple of years. Maybe, he has a hard time hearing the calls while he's running or maybe he's a little stubborn. :dunno:

Madvora
07-09-2008, 09:02 AM
On the second point regarding Dye. He seems to have this problem no matter who is in center. I've noticed this for a couple of years. Maybe, he has a hard time hearing the calls while he's running or maybe he's a little stubborn. :dunno:
I was wondering about him being stubborn, and there are a lot more plays that stand out this year. It makes it look like he's not respecting the younger guys who are put out there to be the "captains of the outfield."
Last night he laughed about the play, but usually he looks a little ticked off when it happens. The point is that we've had a rotating centerfield and that Dye seems to be having problems with almost everyone of them.

kevingrt
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM

I agree with both statements. I think Dye works best with Anderson though. However, how terrible was Dye's play when the game-tying double happened in the 12th I think? He took a terrible route to the ball and was just lost.

Jimmy Piersall
07-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Bingo...that and out of frustration,he's going up there and hacking at
the first pitch quite a bit.When he's going good,he takes pitchers deep
in to the count.

RTI_SoxFan
07-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Another thing I noticed yesterday - Alexei seems to be really winded after he rounds the bases? He sits on the bench and really looks like he's gasping for air. Not sure if he's out of shape or what, just an observation.

Perhaps an oxygen tank for Alexei would be good because he is fun to watch flying around those bases!

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Another thing I noticed yesterday - Alexei seems to be really winded after he rounds the bases? He sits on the bench and really looks like he's gasping for air. Not sure if he's out of shape or what, just an observation.

Perhaps an oxygen tank for Alexei would be good because he is fun to watch flying around those bases!

There aren't many people in the world that can run a 40 or 60 yard dash at a full out sprint and not be winded.

schmitty9800
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
On the Dye/Anderson collision Dye put his hand up, but Anderson didn't see it because he had it eyes on the ball. Either they forgot to talk or just didn't hear each other. I'm not too worried, but hopefully he doesn't get hurt out there.

scarsofthumper
07-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Ever since my gf mentioned it, I noticed that Pierzynski has bigger thighs than Toby.

Grr

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Carlos is in a little funk...and it could be mechanical. He internalizes everything so much I do fear that he could do a PK ..driving himself nuts with frustration.

Anyone that read that article in Sundays paper on TCQ could not help but think we have a unique pro athlete here...grad from stanford in 3.5 years..most humble guy around. Really a solid individual...I am just estatic to have this kind of quality character associated with the Sox for the next decade,hopefully.

Desert Rat
07-09-2008, 05:16 PM
It's been cool to follow Quentin the last 2 seasons. I started watching him when I could after seeing a show called "The Show" on the MOJO network. It followed the D'Backs AAA team in Tucson during their '06 season. It was really a well made short series and included an episode on Chris Young. One episode followed CQ as he was called up for his 1st big league game in Phoenix. 2 poor at bats before hitting his 1st homer later in the game. Check it out if it's ever shown back in Chicago. And after just watching a rerun last week, he was definitely more upright at the plate back then compared to now with the Sox. Very noticable.

btrain929
07-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Uhhhmmmm, did you SEE him on the basepaths yesterday? As a recap:

Running full blast to beat out an infield single
Tagging up from 2nd base straight to home on a sac fly
Going from 1st to home on a double

All of that was probably within 2 innings. He is definitely not out of shape. He just ran his ass off and was out of breathe, like 99.8 percent of other players would be.

JB98
07-09-2008, 05:32 PM
I agree with both statements. I think Dye works best with Anderson though. However, how terrible was Dye's play when the game-tying double happened in the 12th I think? He took a terrible route to the ball and was just lost.

I thought maybe the wet grounds cost JD on that play. He looked unsure of his footing, like he was afraid he might slip and fall and give up a walk-off inside-the-park HR.