PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers' rotation woes

gf2020
07-09-2008, 03:57 AM
I was doing a little advance scouting of the Rangers (6 of our next 11) and their rotation isn't doing so hot. Polished workhorse Brandon McCarthy remains MIA.

Rangers Website article (http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080708&content_id=3091958&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex)

Dallas Morning News article (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/070908dnsporangdate.43880f3.html)

Matt Harrison had a great debut against the Angels tonight, so we'll probably see him this weekend at some point. I hope people don't go nuts if he shuts us down the first time through the order. I think we can get at him. If we can face a gimpy Millwood, a terrible Mendoza and an inexperienced Harrison, I feel like we have a great chance at taking this particular road series, especially with the way Danks and Floyd are throwing.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2008, 10:21 PM
The funny thing about the Rangers is that even though they have a bad team ERA, they are creeping up in the AL West standings.

They've just beaten the Angels twice in a row. They are only 6.5 games back of the Angels now. Given that Oakland has "white flagged" it, the Rangers could overtake Oakland and at least give the Angels someone new to look at in their rear view mirrors.

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is not a home-run park like the Cell, but it is a hitters' park. It helps hitters (especially LH hitters) and thus inflates ERAs by having very little foul territory, a hard infield surface (baked by the heat and sun), big power alley gaps, a short RF fence, and a "jet stream" that blows out to RCF. It means that while their pitchers get hammered, their offense (enhanced also by the best hitting coach in the game, Rudy Jaramillo) ensures they are never out of a home game.

I'm not saying the Rangers will make the playoffs. They don't have the pitching. But I am saying that I hope the Sox (and we Sox fans) don't overlook these games and assume them to be automatic wins.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 10:42 PM
The funny thing about the Rangers is that even though they have a bad team ERA, they are creeping up in the AL West standings.

They've just beaten the Angels twice in a row. They are only 6.5 games back of the Angels now. Given that Oakland has "white flagged" it, the Rangers could overtake Oakland and at least give the Angels someone new to look at in their rear view mirrors.

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is not a home-run park like the Cell, but it is a hitters' park. It helps hitters (especially LH hitters) and thus inflates ERAs by having very little foul territory, a hard infield surface (baked by the heat and sun), big power alley gaps, a short RF fence, and a "jet stream" that blows out to RCF. It means that while their pitchers get hammered, their offense (enhanced also by the best hitting coach in the game, Rudy Jaramillo) ensures they are never out of a home game.

I'm not saying the Rangers will make the playoffs. They don't have the pitching. But I am saying that I hope the Sox (and we Sox fans) don't overlook these games and assume them to be automatic wins.

That's a great point Frater. That being said, my expectation is that we win this series - 2 of 3 or a sweep. We are totally equipped to outslug this team, if it comes down to that. But they have absolutely no chance to outpitch us over the long haul. You never know what happens in three games - but I like our chances.

To start a 6 game road trip 3-0 is awesome.

gf2020
07-09-2008, 11:01 PM
AJ's worthy nemesis Vincente Padouchebag is indeed going on the DL, according to this article (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080709&content_id=3100695&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb).

Kevin Millwood's scheduled start got pushed back until Saturday due to groin issues. Luis Mendoza, who got lit up for eight runs in a start that he recorded four outs in, is actually going to pitch Friday on three days rest. Matt Harrison, who had a really nice debut yesterday, is likely to get the start on Sunday.

The pitching matchups:
Gavin Floyd 10-4 3.22 vs. Luis Mendoza 1-3 7.54
John Danks 6-4 2.52 ERA vs. Kevin Millwood 6-4 4.93
Jose Contreras 7-6 4.21 vs. Matt Harrison 2.57 1-0

Danks got lit up last year in his one start at Texas. Hopefully, he closes out the first half like the all star he should have been. I'm usually pretty unbelievably understanding and patient with the offense, especially facing pitchers we've never seen before. But if we don't kill Mendoza, after two horrible starts, off three days rest, in a hitter's ball park, I'm going to go Apocalypto.

PeteWard
07-10-2008, 12:46 AM
I will be happy with 2 of 3. That Sunday game looks partucularly lose-able.

Texas is hot and they have actually had some ggod starts latey--two in NY I believe.

ondafarm
07-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Judging from the pitching matchups, it looks like the Rangers are conceding game #1. That they figure #2 on Saturday will be a battle and are hoping the new guy confuses the Sox the way that many new pitchers do.

Still, I think 2 of 3 is readily obtainable and that a sweep is possible. If Gavin and Danks are on their games then its for all the marbles on Sunday.

palehozenychicty
07-10-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't care who the Rangers put on the hill (usually they aren't any good.) We always play poorly in Arlington. If we get two, I'll be elated.

hawkjt
07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
yea, the sox struggle in texas and Danks might try to do too much against his old team in front of family and friends.

2 of 3 would be great...but lets make sure we get the first one to preclude a sweep. Texas is solid at home but not overwhelming...3 over .500.

jabrch
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Are you guys kidding? We should pound these meatballs into a pulp. That doesn't mean we will - but there is no reason to not expect to win this series unless you are being negative to avoid being disappointed. (some call that realism, I call it pessimism)

This is a VERY bad Rangers pitching staff. Their ERA is nearly a half a run worse than the rest of the league. Blame it on the Ballpark at Arlington? Sorry - home ERA is 4.88 and road ERA is 5.08. They are a BAD pitching team. They are 2nd worst in the league with 369 walks (we have 251 for 2nd best). They are worst in the league in hits allowed at 913. We are 3rd best at 765.

And if the game in Arlington is to slug the ball out of the park, for all their offensive prowess, they are 2nd in the league with 110 HRs. Ya know who is first? The Sox with 123.

Chris Davis at 1B? He's hitting .195/.267/.585. 8 hits since coming up, only 3 of them stayed in the park.

Corner OFs - Brandon Boggs and David Murphy - Ha ha ha...

Meatballs...all of them...Sure - it is possible we lose a game, two games or even three. But we should win this series.

Palehose Pete
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
That's a great point Frater. That being said, my expectation is that we win this series - 2 of 3 or a sweep. We are totally equipped to outslug this team, if it comes down to that. But they have absolutely no chance to outpitch us over the long haul. You never know what happens in three games - but I like our chances.

To start a 6 game road trip 3-0 is awesome.

Also, our pitching staff survives, nay, does quite well, at the homer-haven called US Cellular. With the Sox offense also tuned to the Cell's tendencies to favor sluggers, one could make the argument that Arlington is really just US Cellular South and that the Sox will be at home, so to speak, while on the road.

veeter
07-10-2008, 12:28 PM
If we sweep the Royas tonite, I'll take one in Texas. 4-2 would be a nice trip.

whitesox901
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't care who the Rangers put on the hill (usually they aren't any good.) We always play poorly in Arlington. If we get two, I'll be elated.

This is a VERY bad Rangers pitching staff. Their ERA is nearly a half a run worse than the rest of the league. Blame it on the Ballpark at Arlington? Sorry - home ERA is 4.88 and road ERA is 5.08. They are a BAD pitching team. They are 2nd worst in the league with 369 walks (we have 251 for 2nd best). They are worst in the league in hits allowed at 913. We are 3rd best at 765.

And if the game in Arlington is to slug the ball out of the park, for all their offensive prowess, they are 2nd in the league with 110 HRs. Ya know who is first? The Sox with 123.

Meatballs...all of them...Sure - it is possible we lose a game, two games or even three. But we should win this series.

That is true, the Rangers always seem to have pwnage over us as palehozenychicty pointed out, but this seems to be the worst Rangers arms were going to have to face in a long time, we also dont have to worry about Mark Teixeira or Hank Blalock killing us, if we can avoid Hamilton, Young and Kinsler I think we can survive okay.

DSpivack
07-10-2008, 03:17 PM
That is true, the Rangers always seem to have pwnage over us as palehozenychicty pointed out, but this seems to be the worst Rangers arms were going to have to face in a long time, we also dont have to worry about Mark Teixeira or Hank Blalock killing us, if we can avoid Hamilton, Young and Kinsler I think we can survive okay.

Anyone know if Bradley plays this weekend? He's been scratched the last couple days, but has been their best hitter thus far.

Tragg
07-10-2008, 06:30 PM
I wish Kenny would do more business with Jon Daniels.

gf2020
07-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Good news for the White Sox. The Angeles just got into the Texas' bullpen in the top of the fourth tonight. That's bad for the Rangers, especially with Mendoza going for them tomorrow.