PDA

View Full Version : Cowley: Thornton, Dotel to get chances to close as well

gf2020
07-09-2008, 02:01 AM
As per Cowley (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%28window.open%28%27http://twitter.com/cst_sox%27,%27_blank%27,%27width=788,height=598,st atus=1,scrollbars=1,resizable=1%27%29%29;):

Guillen said after the game that he will use Thornton and Dotel, as well as Linebrink, in save opportunities now.

Our week long nightmare is likely over folks and the best thing is that it didn't even cost us a game.

EDIT: Another link, (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080709&content_id=3098012&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)this time from whitesox.com

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Makes sense and I am glad ozzie is not waiting for a loss or two before adjusting....Liney came out and said tonite that he only has two words..''I stink!!''

Standup guy... I am sure he feels worse than anyone.

whitesox901
07-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Makes sense and I am glad ozzie is not waiting for a loss or two before adjusting.

Couldnt agree with ya anymore

russ99
07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
He's messing everyone up with this. He needs to just give Dotel the job he's used to doing his whole career and ride it out until next Friday.

soxinem1
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
He's messing everyone up with this. He needs to just give Dotel the job he's used to doing his whole career and ride it out until next Friday.

Linebrink was sensational as a set up man, probably the best in MLB.

In the past, he has not done well as a closer, and he just looks uncomfortable in the setting.

Jenks has had no stuff all year.

Thornton, meanwhile, has been tossing BB's and since he refined his slider, good hitters are flailing at him because he finally has given them something to think about. Most telling was the reaction cub hitters had against him recently. He has been flat out confusing the hitters, and throwing strikes right on the black of the zone. In other words, he's been dialed in.

Right now, I go with Thornton as a closer, and keep Linebrink for the 8th innings where he has excelled. Maybe Jenks comes back throwing hard again, which I have a feeling he won't, you have other options established in the mean time.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I must agree with many others, Scott Linebrink can NOT close games, he's just not comfortable in that situation. Try Thornton or Dotel.

Sox:

Jenks has had "no stuff" this year?

You and I must have been watching two different Jenks then.

Lip

FielderJones
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I think the stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=linebsc01&t=p&year=2008) on Linebrink are pretty clear on this:

In 33 appearances in the 8th inning or earlier, he has given up run(s) 3 times. In 11 appearances in the 9th inning or later, he has given up run(s) 7 times.

I just hope Ozzie hasn't blown his confidence completely and that he can go back to being lights out in the 8th inning.

oeo
07-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I think the stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=linebsc01&t=p&year=2008) on Linebrink are pretty clear on this:

In 33 appearances in the 8th inning or earlier, he has given up run(s) 3 times. In 11 appearances in the 9th inning or later, he has given up run(s) 7 times.

I just hope Ozzie hasn't blown his confidence completely and that he can go back to being lights out in the 8th inning.

This isn't David Aardsma...Linebrink will be fine when it comes to "confidence."

nccwsfan
07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
This is a good approach for the next week- hopefully by then Jenks will be ready to go for the second half. They need him to come back healthy.

A.T. Money
07-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I must agree with many others, Scott Linebrink can NOT close games, he's just not comfortable in that situation. Try Thornton or Dotel.

Sox:

Lip

His breaking ball has been a little flat, and his fastball isn't fast anymore. Watch the 2005 World Series DVD, and pop in World Series Game 1, and tell me that's not a different pitcher.

I miss Bobby hitting 98-99 with regularity.

soxinem1
07-09-2008, 03:02 PM

Sox:

Lip

No, I believe we are watcing the same guy.

The one with the 89-91 MPH fastball that the radar says is 93-95MPH.

The one who cannot strike out any one, and had been like that since last August.

The one who has had no curve whatsoever most of 2008.

The one who has given up a lot of hard hit balls right at people most of the year, that starting going in for loud hits.

The one who hitters all of a sudden have no problems facing.

Yes, I believe we are watching the same guy.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Sox:

19 saves, ERA under 2.

Yep, real issues there...

:?:

I don't care that he's not throwing 100 miles an hour, or striking out two batters an inning. All I care about are his getting outs and saving games.

Bobby has actually become a pitcher now, not just a thrower.

BIG difference.

Lip

KRS1
07-09-2008, 03:43 PM
The one with the 89-91 MPH fastball that the radar says is 93-95MPH.

:rolleyes:

Just look at pitch FX (the only league-wide uniform tracker of pitches available to the public for free)and you will see that he is not throwing 89-91. In fact it has him hitting 96 regularly, and 94 most of the time. But, who am I to question your expert eye radar compared to modern technology?

He may not be hitting the upper 90's anymore, but his pitches are still nasty, and his ERA under 2 shows that.

Save McCuddy's
07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
I haven't been too concerned about his velocity. The pitch that seems to be missing is his big hook. He hasn't made it look good or gotten it over enough to get strike outs with the 58 footer the way he has in the past.

slavko
07-10-2008, 11:10 AM
His 2005 fastball was high 90's and straight as a string. You remember, we were all posting about it. He now has a running fastball and throws low 90's. He has been the beneficiary of lots of atom balls, no doubt. He intimidates no one anymore. I've seen the curve on occasions this year. How many pitches do you need to throw one inning of relief? He does get hit, but he doesn't give up home runs much. His control is not what it was in the past. I bet he's had discomfort in his motion for quite a while now. It would explain much.

(damn, Dotel was impressive last night.)