PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on HKS web site

Joel Perez
08-03-2001, 10:18 AM
Thanks Jerry Manuel for the info....

Is it just me or does the right field mimic The Ballpark at Arlington's right field?

Besides some more cosmetic surgery, everything else looks the same.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 10:23 AM
No problem, yes if they do go ahead and make those changes to the park it would look like Arlington's right field. Well I would say that adding that home run porch and the way they plan on changing the outside of the park I would say it is more then cosmetic surgery.

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2001, 10:38 AM
I've got some good ideas on how to improve upon the ballpark and get more people in there. It's pretty simple, really:

1. Use a time machine to speed up the years, so that gentrification sweeps Bridgeport and the areas surrounding Comiskey in a week. Gentrification = lots of freshly-scrubbed collegiate types with a lot of spare $.

2. Plant some type of greenery on the outfield wall. Let's say ivy, for argument's sake.

3. Have some sorta-has-been personality come in every day and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Or even, heh heh, bring in oversized stuffed purple dinosaurs, what the hell.

4. Rip out all the accomodations like the clean bathrooms, electronic scoreboard, wide walkways, wide variety of concessions, etc., and replace them with hot dogs, Old Style, narrow cramped walkways, and disgustingly dank bathrooms that reek of urine.

I think that will work. I'm sure I've seen that exact plan work somewhere else, but I can't place my finger on it just now...

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 10:40 AM
I think that will work. I'm sure I've seen that exact plan work somewhere else, but I can't place my finger on it just now...

:moron
Boston?

fado
08-03-2001, 10:46 AM
If this is what they are really going to do, it looks great. Too bad they didn't do this the first time around. I think someone mentioned The Ballpark, and how the one picture looked like it. Well it should, this architectural firm built the Ballpark. And I've been down there and absolutely loved the place.

As for gentrification in my neighborhood...we will fight those yuppie scum suckers like there is no tomorrow! I refuse to become another Wrigleyville!

As long and JR doesn't get the other 20 mil from somebody stupid it'll be ok. But I can see it now, welcome to Trojan Field at Comiskey Park!

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2001, 10:50 AM
I have a serious point, though, about the renovation: without doing at least something on the outside of the park to make it more inviting, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

How about a restaurant/cafe/bar near where home plate at Old Comiskey is? Or even a food court of some sort? Some carnival-type atmosphere for kids? Anything but those big slabs of asphalt to at least make the outside of the park somewhat inviting.

My 2 cents.

Joel Perez
08-03-2001, 10:51 AM
You ain't talkin' 'bout 'dem plastik thingies, are ya?

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 10:59 AM
I have a serious point, though, about the renovation: without doing at least something on the outside of the park to make it more inviting, they're shooting themselves in the foot

I know you mean around the park but if they go ahead with these pictures the outside of Comiseky will look nicer then it is now. Which will make it more inviting to fans.
http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey2.jpg
http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey4.jpg

Some carnival-type atmosphere for kids?
Here is what it says on the official site:
"State-of-the-art amenities include a three-story restaurant, upgrades to the club concourse, and a new Kidzone outside of center field. " So they are getting some more kid type things.

Also here is a photo of left field I wonder what that red thing is in the upper left hand corner of the screen.
http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey3.jpg

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 11:01 AM
You ain't talkin' 'bout 'dem plastik thingies, are ya?

I think he is.

Joel Perez
08-03-2001, 11:05 AM
By the way...the PNC Park in Pittsburgh looks awesome on TV. Why can't the Sox do something like that, especially the way PNC has their outfield?

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2001, 11:06 AM
That big red thing looks like a 4-sided Coca-Cola advertisement.

Yeah, I now see where they're going to do some things to improve the area directly outside the park.

But I guess I keep thinking about how empty and sterile most of the area outside the park is. The parking lots, especially those gross lots that aren't paved, are just really off-putting.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 11:09 AM
That big red thing looks like a 4-sided Coca-Cola advertisement.

:maggs
I think you forgot we drink Pepsi at the ballpark not coke.

Procol Harum
08-03-2001, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

:maggs
I think you forgot we drink Pepsi at the ballpark not coke.

:reinsy
That was ANOTHER stinkin' mistake I made for this year--Doh!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 11:33 AM
That was ANOTHER stinkin' mistake I made for this year--Doh!!

I myself like Pepsi over Coke.

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2001, 11:38 AM
I'm a Diet Coke fanatic, so I was not happy when Comiskey switched to "Pesi" (sorry, Maggs).

Pepsi One is pretty tasty, though -- tastes more like a real Pesi.

Chisox353014
08-03-2001, 11:53 AM
My 2 cents: I realize it's hard to tell much from those drawings, but it looks like a$$ to me. The front entrance looks like a mall food court or a museum. The home run porch (excuse me, "favorable retro element") looks tacked-on in the worst possible way. The billboard part looks to be 40- 50 feet taller than the scoreboard, plus it doesn't connect to the rest of the upper deck at all. I don't know what's going on in left, but another overpriced exclusive restaurant and a giant Coke ad don't sound too promising. At least if you have to put a huge ad up, make it something interesting like the big glove in Pac Bell. The entrance in left looks OK, and hopefully they would change the color scheme back to green, but these are all slapped on improvements IMO. Comiskey is going to be one big Frankenstein of a ballpark with no defining feel to it if they do all the interior changes. Frankly, I think it sucks and I hope it hasn't been green-lighted.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:04 PM
The home run porch (excuse me, "favorable retro element") looks tacked-on in the worst possible way. The billboard part looks to be 40- 50 feet taller than the scoreboard, plus it doesn't connect to the rest of the upper deck at all. I don't know what's going on in left, but another overpriced exclusive restaurant and a giant Coke ad don't sound too promising.

HKS also did the ballpark at arlington, it is tough to tell from this photo but the upper deck and the home run porch don't look connected here either. If it is then they should do something like that at Comiskey.

http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/ballpark1.jpg

Chisox353014
08-03-2001, 12:18 PM
So basically we have the only real, original White Sox element and link to the team's history in the entire park - the exploding scoreboard- now being dwarfed by an uglier version of Arlington's right field home run porch. Yuck. Plus, what good is adding an upper deck if it's set so far back that home run balls rarely, if ever, reach it? At least at Old Comiskey the upper deck came into play some.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:22 PM
So basically we have the only real, original White Sox element and link to the team's history in the entire park - the exploding scoreboard- now being dwarfed by an uglier version of Arlington's right field home run porch. Yuck. Plus, what good is adding an upper deck if it's set so far back that home run balls rarely, if ever, reach it? At least at Old Comiskey the upper deck came into play some.

I guess JR thinks this is what people want.

:hitless
I can reach any upper deck.

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 12:43 PM

I guess JR thinks this is what people want.

I can reach any upper deck.

So can I, but it's gets tiring climbing all those steps...

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:46 PM
So can I, but it's gets tiring climbing all those steps...

Hey, you stick to writing code and I will stick to hitting homers.

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
My 2 cents: I realize it's hard to tell much from those drawings, but it looks like a$$ to me. The front entrance looks like a mall food court or a museum. The home run porch (excuse me, "favorable retro element") looks tacked-on in the worst possible way. The billboard part looks to be 40- 50 feet taller than the scoreboard, plus it doesn't connect to the rest of the upper deck at all. I don't know what's going on in left, but another overpriced exclusive restaurant and a giant Coke ad don't sound too promising. At least if you have to put a huge ad up, make it something interesting like the big glove in Pac Bell. The entrance in left looks OK, and hopefully they would change the color scheme back to green, but these are all slapped on improvements IMO. Comiskey is going to be one big Frankenstein of a ballpark with no defining feel to it if they do all the interior changes. Frankly, I think it sucks and I hope it hasn't been green-lighted.

See, your looking at it from an intelligent baseball fan's perspective. You have to look at it from the perspective of people who know a little about baseball but just want to go to the park for something to do. (AKA 90% of all sCrUB fans.) If we get all this fancy stuff for people who don't actually come to watch the game, the attendance should go up.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:50 PM
See, your looking at it from an intelligent baseball fan's perspective. You have to look at it from the perspective of people who know a little about baseball but just want to go to the park for something to do. (AKA 90% of all sCrUB fans.) If we get all this fancy stuff for people who don't actually come to watch the game, the attendance should go up.

I don't care what kind of baseball fans they are as long as I get the money.

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 12:50 PM

Hey, you stick to writing code and I will stick to hitting homers.

Hey, you don't be talking bad to my fans or I'm gonna tell your uncle that you can't have sprinkles on your cone next time! Besides, I got you for your defense.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:52 PM
Hey, you don't be talking bad to my fans or I'm gonna tell your uncle that you can't have sprinkles on your cone next time! Besides, I got you for your defense.

I won the ptc damn you and I get to do whatever the hell I want.

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 12:56 PM

I won the ptc damn you and I get to do whatever the hell I want.

I'm sure that can be changed with a number of small, unmarked bills.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I'm sure that can be changed with a number of small, unmarked bills.

Yeah that's true but the money won't be coming from you.

:keith
Yeah tell me about it

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 02:09 PM

Yeah that's true but the money won't be coming from you.

:keith
Yeah tell me about it

Maybe I can hit this guy up for a loan...

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 02:46 PM
Maybe I can hit this guy up for a loan...

:shammy
I am happy to help out.

rmusacch
08-03-2001, 04:23 PM
I myself like Pepsi over Coke.

I think Pepsi is too sweet.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 04:25 PM
I think Pepsi is too sweet.

Maybe all the sugar from the pepsi explains why I post so much!

:)