PDA

View Full Version : *Official* closer by committee postgame thread

kittle42
07-09-2008, 12:31 AM
No more Line! Thank goodness we escaped with a win!

nasox
07-09-2008, 12:31 AM
That's a WHITE SOX WINNER! Well, they won in the end.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Discuss it here!

kruzer31
07-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Sox win

gobears1987
07-09-2008, 12:33 AM
There was some real horse **** in the game thread, but thankfully the Sox shut the **** throwers up.

Alexei is amazing!

hi im skot
Jesus Christ.

We'll take it...

ElevenUp
I'll take it any way we can get it.:bandance::bandance:

oeo
Please put Linebrink back in the 8th inning.

Also...tell that ****er Masset to throw strikes.

rustysurf83
Can't believe we escaped with a win. Get Line out the closer role and pray to God Bobby comes back in top shape after the break. Lets get the series and create some breathing room going into the break.

Domeshot17
Linebrink is showing what he did last year, pitching him after the 8th is a bad, bad idea.

I wish we would give Adam Russell a look as closer. Kid has some sick movement on his fastball.

That said, We should probably use Thornton to close until bobby is back, hes been the most consistent we have.

October26
07-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Well, we miss Bobby Jenks, that is for sure. What an exhausting game. Just happy the Sox won! :bandance:

JUribe1989
After listening to that debacle on the MLB.tv Royals feed, nothing feels better than those horrible Royals announcers calling the final DP so dejected. Just ever so dejected.

MERCY

SoxGirl4Life
There was some real horse **** in the game thread, but thankfully the Sox shut the **** throwers up.

Alexei is amazing!

Yeah.. can't do the game thread. BUT SOX WIN! ThankyouThankyouThankyou.

Lets win it in 9 tomorrow!

White_Sock
It's like waking up from a nightmare to bacon and eggs!!!

kruzer31
Great win, if WCIU wants to televise White Sox games, they need to step it up or we need to get off that station. The feed was terrible today and usually is anyways.

Jeff

MISoxfan
Had to leave for awhile, couldn't believe the game was still on when I made it back home. A wins a win.

johnnyg83
07-09-2008, 12:35 AM
We win one maybe we shouldn't have and the twins lose one they should have ... my kinda night.

Brian26
Alexei and OC played a hell of a game.

soxwon
Piece of cake, i knew it all along.

oeo
Linebrink is showing what he did last year, pitching him after the 8th is a bad, bad idea.

I wish we would give Adam Russell a look as closer. Kid has some sick movement on his fastball.

Again...Russell is looking an awful lot like Masset right about now. He doesn't get ahead in the count, and then he has this knack for hanging his slider. Please, no. Not until he gains some command.

WhiteSox5187
My thoughts on tonights game are as follows:

1) It's unnerving to see Jose have yet ANOTHER poor start
2) It's amazing how some guys just can't close out games, alas, Linebrink appears to be one of those guys. Let's not use him in that spot anymore.
3) SOX WIN! TWINS LOSE! WOOO-HOOO!!!

Rocky Soprano
Where all those babies that cried in the gameday thread?
Ugly Win, but a win is a win!

chidonez
A little late, but here's the beginning of the end (HD wasn't working at this point, FU WCIU)...

http://i36.tinypic.com/2z9azjq.png

october23sp
AHH could it have been any crazier. First Yahoo said we lost then said we won. Then we said we lost then we said we won! Never been more happy over a win over KC. Crush them tommorow anyone?:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::ba ndance::)

hi im skot
It's like waking up from a nightmare to bacon and eggs!!!

:rolling:

I can't believe we won that game.

sox1970
Kaufman Stadium means one thing--crazy ass games.

No more Linebrink in save situations.

Alexei is unreal.

Boondock Saint
07-09-2008, 12:36 AM
That was a terrible, God-awful, horrible ballgame with a good result in the end. Linebrink is terrible in the ninth. We **** the bed several times with RISP. We were handed the 2 runs in extras via the blown call, and wouldn't have gotten them in otherwise. These guys need to wake the **** up and not let this happen the next 2 games.

JB98
07-09-2008, 12:37 AM
It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Nick Masset. I always have a feeling of impending doom when he's in the game. But I have to give credit where credit is due: Great pitch to get the ground ball and get out of trouble.

We miss Jenks.

The Sox didn't play particularly well, but they battled their asses off to get this win. You need victories like this.

Dub25
I'll take it... a win is a win. I agree with others, Linebrink is better as the setup. Kind of reminds me of Latroy Hawkins minus the bad attitude. Latroy had trouble closing for the Twins and Flubs but was a solid setup guy.

btrain929
Alexei is the ****ing man, as usual, we gained a game on the Twins, and actually won 1 on the road. I'm happy.

And that is all.

ilsox7
Where all those babies that cried in the gameday thread?
Ugly Win, but a win is a win!

They generally go away after wins b/c there is nothing to bitch about or cry about.

Good to win a game we had no business winning. Crazy start to the roadtrip. Hopefully the team has a good laugh and a few beers tonight and comes back tomorrow and wins by 10.

october23sp
I really don't think there was a way we were going to lose that game. 2 run Sac fly. Bunt double play. The Sox just wanted to scare us fans.:D:

johnnyg83
Thornton was lights freakin out.

Dub25
07-09-2008, 12:38 AM
It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Nick Masset. I always have a feeling of impending doom when he's in the game. But I have to give credit where credit is due: Great pitch to get the ground ball and get out of trouble.

We miss Jenks.

The Sox didn't play particularly well, but they battled their asses off to get this win. You need victories like this.

I'm thinking this falls in the "what you do with the other 42" catagory.

ohthosechisox
This is one I'm just glad we can put in the W column. And I'm so happy the Twinkies lost again too!

I still would rather have Thornton/Dotel as my closer though.

Frater Perdurabo
I'll never complain about a win.

Let's hope that we get a complete game win tomorrow, or eight innings from the starter and Russell to close out a laugher. This bullpen could use some rest; they will be needed in Texas.

RadioheadRocks
Yowsah yowsah yowsah... that pretty much says it all!

I hope this all doesn't mess up Linebrink for awhile even if he is put back into the 8th inning role.

Dotel or Thornton please.

btrain929

We miss Jenks.

Especially against a hot Grudzielanek. As well as that DP where he fielded the bunt off the mound and threw a strike to 2nd. That play is easier said than done.

mccoydp
The gamethread was ****ing hilarious! Meltdown city!

Thank goodness the Sox won, or things would have gone nuclear.

:winner

Frater Perdurabo
I'm thinking this falls in the "what you do with the other 42" catagory.

I was thinking the same thing.

kruzer31
07-09-2008, 12:39 AM
WCIU is terrible. Does anyone know our current contract with them and when we can get off that god awful station?????

J

Tragg
The Royals have heart. The Indians may go down for dimes, but the Royals play hard. A win's a win.

Did Jose have as rough an outing as the stats suggest?

Alexei is amazing

popilius
07-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Yes! No I can sleep. Phew! and good night. . .

:gulp:

Rocky Soprano
They generally go away after wins b/c there is nothing to bitch about or cry about.

Good to win a game we had no business winning. Crazy start to the roadtrip. Hopefully the team has a good laugh and a few beers tonight and comes back tomorrow and wins by 10.

That droso bozo was especially annoying.
Hopefully he gets flushed like the other fool that got a nice "vacation" for predicting a loss.

october23sp
The gamethread was ****ing hilarious! Meltdown city!

Thank goodness the Sox won, or things would have gone nuclear.

That was fun to be apart of.

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Hopefully he gets flushed like the other fool that got a nice "vacation" for predicting a loss.

Check out the parking lot Rongey thread if you want to see some awesome irony.

kevingrt
That was fun to be apart of.

I just read the gameday thread. It was nuts. A win is a win though. Closer by committee does sound about as tasty as a cookie right now though.

Martinigirl
Great win, if WCIU wants to televise White Sox games, they need to step it up or we need to get off that station. The feed was terrible today and usually is anyways.

Jeff

It was a joke and particularly bad knowing the exact same thing happened the last time we were on Channel 26. I am just going out on a limb here, but I would be willing to guess the people who are watching the game would like to actually see more than 1/4 of the screen.

chisox77
This was a painful and frustrating game to watch. It was the type of game where things just seemed strange. But in the end, the White Sox won and picked up a game on the Twins. Keep it rolling!

:cool:

Boondock Saint
07-09-2008, 12:42 AM
I almost forgot a couple other points. Jose looked like garbage. He's gotta get his head back in the game. And Thornton was throwing some filthy stuff out there. He should be the closer until Bobby comes back. That way we can keep Dotel and Linebrink in their seventh and eighth inning slots, respectively.

whitesox901
THANK ****ING GOD!

SOX WIN!

and in the end, thats all that matters.

Vernam
All's well that . . . well, ends. :cool:

Viva Alexei!

Vernam

JB98
Especially against a hot Grudzielanek. As well as that DP where he fielded the bunt off the mound and threw a strike to 2nd. That play is easier said than done.

Yeah, we've seen pitchers throw that ball into CF before.

I was just furious with Masset for walking the leadoff hitter. That was a huge play to erase that walk.

I'm generally pissing my pants when Masset is in the game. I'm just not real fond of the guy. But the moral of the story is he got the job done.

voodoochile
Alexei is unreal.

That says it all. I'm running out of superlatives to describe his play. Hey there's another nickname possibility... Mr. Superlative. Nice to see Thome have a great night and if Wise scores when he PR for him, JT would probably be the PTC, but what AR did in the last few innings is mind boggling.

:winner

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

:)

johnnyg83
I was at the game and Jose did not have it tonight, the fastest I saw on the stadium gun was 91 mph ... though he did get some bad bounces and at least two broken bat hits.

Cuck the Fubs

Indeed, that giant bold FLUSH post was out of line.

The game, and the gamethread were epic, I laughed, I cried, I laughed, I cried, I laughed, I need a drink!

Way to get the win guys, keep this rolling guys, we need these wins!

joebro25
07-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Great win tonight, but Linebrink should never be put into close again, he only has 5 career saves so I don't understand why Ozzie immediately anointed him closer. Put Dotel in there, he's done it before and has been great lately.

kruzer31
07-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Where can I read the gameday thread at??? Thanks

Jeff

White City
Jose: 5.2 IP, 5 ER
Bullpen: 7.1 IP, 2 ER

The bullpen was its usual glorious self, EXCEPT for the Linebrink fish-out-of-water decision by Ozzie in the save situation.

The offense fought back several times.

Jose is lucky that Linebrink stank up the joint, because otherwise everyone would more properly focus on his troubling start.

voodoochile
I just read the gameday thread. It was nuts. A win is a win though. Closer by committee does sound about as tasty as a cookie right now though.

Dotel and Thornton should split time in the ninth depending on which side of the plate is going to be batting. Leave Linebrink in the 8th and let Masset and Logan split up the 7th.

Tragg
Linebrink's been used a lot.
Logan and Thornton have had excellent years.

manders_01
I am soooooo not bright. I was gettin all pissed off cause I heard the Royals broadcasters call the game final and I couldn't figure out how they got two men across the plate before the second out (even though that wouldn't have mattered)!!! :angry:

Then I realized that we were up, we made the outs and we won the game. Duh Amanda!!! :o:

chidonez
07-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Where can I read the gameday thread at??? Thanks

Jeff

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103292&page=20

SoxGirl4Life
The Royals have heart. The Indians may go down for dimes, but the Royals play hard. A win's a win.

Did Jose have as rough an outing as the stats suggest?

The Indians have officially packed it in. Not one hit after the first inning today.

Great. They'll be a big help with the Twins and Tigers.

Rocky Soprano
Check out the parking lot Rongey thread if you want to see some awesome irony.

Unbelievable!

jabrch
07-09-2008, 12:47 AM
That was a terrible, God-awful, horrible ballgame with a good result in the end. Linebrink is terrible in the ninth. We **** the bed several times with RISP. We were handed the 2 runs in extras via the blown call, and wouldn't have gotten them in otherwise. These guys need to wake the **** up and not let this happen the next 2 games.

Get lost

DickAllen72
07-09-2008, 12:48 AM
I thought Konerko looked as good as he has all season tonight--some good quality ABs.

Alexei is outstanding.

Sox need to find another quality bullpen guy who can serve as an alternate closer.

Oh yeah, Thome had a good night as well.

SoxGirl4Life

Seriously. Some of those posters only show up to bitch about the Sox. Why bother? There's NOTHING better to do?

johnnyg83
15 over = new high water mark ... let's break the trend and win tomorrow after we set a new mark.

Boondock Saint
07-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Get lost

Dude, calm down. I was expressing my disgust with what I think many thought was a very poorly played game. I'm happy with the results, but this kind of baseball won't take anyone to the playoffs.

Cuck the Fubs
07-09-2008, 12:49 AM
I thought Konerko looked as good as he has all season tonight--some good quality ABs.

It's all due to the high socks he's sporting!

And Ramirez is just amazing, he brings so much to the table!

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Seriously. Some of those posters only show up to bitch about the Sox. Why bother? There's NOTHING better to do?

I don't understand why folks follow baseball (or any sport) if they do not derive any enjoyment out of it. I swear, enjoy the game, folks! Sure there are frustrating moments, but those should not come every other inning of every game. Maybe I'm just too laid back, but I'd be mentally drained if I got pissed off at every thing that goes wrong throughout a season.

SoxGirl4Life
07-09-2008, 12:50 AM

Hands down. Alexei won that game.

DeadMoney
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
That was crazy.

I don't even know what to say except:
- Jenks better get healthy soon, because it's obvious that Linebrink doesn't belong closing games. I was OK with this choice until tonight. But now we need to see something else. The probable choice is to give it to Dotel and Thornton based on match-ups and hope Jenks gets better FAST.
- Jose battled but had NOTHING tonight ... I can't complain much for the effort he put in, but it was apparent that he had nothing from early on.
- I liked what I saw from the offense ... they had some good at-bats and were a little unlucky tonight (by hard hit balls being caught).

Oh yes, and ...
I freaking love Alexei Ramirez.

:bandance:

JB98
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I don't understand why folks follow baseball (or any sport) if they do not derive any enjoyment out of it. I swear, enjoy the game, folks! Sure there are frustrating moments, but those should not come every other inning of every game. Maybe I'm just too laid back, but I'd be mentally drained if I got pissed off at every thing that goes wrong throughout a season.

Right now, I'm feeling mentally drained. :D:

Frankfan4life
07-09-2008, 12:53 AM
You had to see this game (or at least the parts of it we could see) to believe it. Incredible win for the Sox!! Both teams had a never give up, never surrender attitude. Fortunately, we came out on top.

Alexei will not play in the All Star game this year but I'm sure he will someday.

kittle42
07-09-2008, 12:53 AM

I am the most miserable while partaking in any of my hobbies - sports, bowling, poker...

PeteWard
07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
The Indians have officially packed it in. Not one hit after the first inning today.

Great. They'll be a big help with the Twins and Tigers.

Yeah but the Sox feasted on them lately and still have three more.

Just have to beat them head to head and not worry about Cleveland.

hawkjt
Anyway you slice it ,this was a huge win. This week has me scared to death. Our bullpen is running on fumes already and now this long game...then we have to see the hitting royals and the crazy hitting rangers down in superhot texas. Our starters also look a little weary and the ball will fly.
If we lose tonite, it sets up to be a horrible week with greinke on thursday ...now if we win tomorrow...pressure off ...and go to texas with a lead over the twins.

Joe Crede had a good game...couple hits,homer,2 ribis...thome -4-4 two doubles, alexei-fantastic nite,OC hit the ball well. Massett got in trouble but he nutted up and got it done...Dotel was solid, thornton...really,jose, and liney were the only problem pitchers...tomorrow we need 8 innnings from Javy.

ilsox7
I am the most miserable while partaking in any of my hobbies - sports, bowling, poker...

Maybe I am just numbed from Bar/Bri. Or not going to Bar/Bri. I barely registered any emotion to anything that happened in the game tonight.

chidonez

Like who? i was there tonight. Yeah, I saw some healthy pessimism, but people do get passionate when the team is losing. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. You have to consider it in context. Otherwise, chill.

Rocky Soprano
07-09-2008, 12:56 AM

Whats the worst is that many of these "fans" dont even wait for the game to finish before going nuts. We won. Period.

TheOldRoman
07-09-2008, 12:56 AM
As frustrating as this game was, we won. Jose rebounded from a mediocre performance to have another terrible performance. :angry: The offense tied the game up, and twice gave us a lead in extras. Never good to see Linebrink struggle, but at least the hitters picked him up. They should be ready to do that a hell of a lot more from here on out. Lord knows the pitchers have picked them up enough times.

Great game by Thome, incredible game by Ramirez, and Massett did a great job overcoming the mess he made himself. Let's not mess around with these guys so much the next two games.

voodoochile
07-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Dude, calm down. I was expressing my disgust with what I think many thought was a very poorly played game. I'm happy with the results, but this kind of baseball won't take anyone to the playoffs.

:rolleyes: :dtroll: :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
07-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Sox win, and now I can sleep peacefully tonight!

voodoochile
07-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Right now, I'm feeling mentally drained. :D:

How ya think the Twinkies are feeling?

Tragg
07-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Just watching the higlights on mlb.com.
Nice baserunning by Alexei. good call with that H&R too.

TDog
07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
The last time the Sox beat the Royals in extra innings this season, Jenks blew the save. The Royals got a three-run homer to give Nathan a blown save this year before losing in extra innings. Actually, in that series in the Metrodome, the Twins and Royals played two extra-inning games. Other A-list closers have blown saves to the Royals this year. Monday the Royals won an extra-inning game in St. Petersburg after Soria blew a save by allowing a ninth-inning home run to the Rays, who have the league's best record.

The Royals play a lot of close game. They lose most of them, which is why their record is what it is. They don't give up. In most games they don't have enough.

This was a great win. Every Sox win is a great win. The Sox didn't play a great game. At least twice they had two on and one out and failed to score. They still came back in the eighth, something a few weeks ago this Sox team hadn't done this year. Perhaps the Sox used their ideal Jenks-less closer to keep the game close or tied in regulation. Had the Twins brought in Nathan when the Red Sox came up with the tying run in the eighth instead of holding him back for the ninth, the Twins might have won. Fortunately, they didn't.

People are going to complain that Guillen misused his bullpen tonight. When Contreras was still on the mound, people in the gamethread wanted to go to the bullpen much earlier than they did. As it turned out, Guillen managed his bullpen well enough to win.

Good games from Thome, Konerko and Ramirez. Ramirez scored two big runs in extra innings.

A great win. When I picked up the game in the fourth inning and watched through the seventh, I wasn't sure if they had it in them tonight.

jabrch

I'm calm *dude*.

Now get lost.

If you don't think every team who has ever won a WS has had games like this then you know NOTHING about baseball.

voodoochile
Whats the worst is that many of these "fans" dont even wait for the game to finish before going nuts. We won. Period.

And how can you not be smiling after that win? I mean if for no other reason than having the privilege of watching Alexei Ramirez play baseball?

That was a stunning display of speed killing. I don't know how he even beat the throw to first on his IF single in the 13th. It was a relatively routine play...

JB98
07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
How ya think the Twinkies are feeling?

Meh. I don't care about them. I'm only worried about myself. :D:

Boondock Saint
07-09-2008, 01:01 AM
:rolleyes: :dtroll: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't get why you guys are ripping me here. I don't see how thinking that a game was poorly played can be seen as trolling. I don't know if I'm saying things the wrong way or what. I know this team is better than the way they played tonight, though.

Whatever. A win is a win, and I'm happy.

Cuck the Fubs
07-09-2008, 01:02 AM
I know TCQ was a steal on the trade, but it sure looks like the best move Kenny made this offseason was the signing of Alexei Ramirez.

He's been HUGE in all facets of the game, HUGE!

jabrch
07-09-2008, 01:02 AM

And how can you not be smiling after that win? I mean if for no other reason than having the privilege of watching Alexei Ramirez play baseball?

That was a stunning display of speed killing. I don't know how he even beat the throw to first on his IF single in the 13th. It was a relatively routine play...

An unfortunately large portion of our "fans" suck.

Rocky Soprano
07-09-2008, 01:03 AM

Very well said. Was it a frustrating game? Yes. But they won and thats good enough reason to go to bed in a good mood.

And last time I checked, we are still in first! And the Twins lost. :gulp:

Droso5
Seriously, I don't get why you guys are ripping me here. I don't see how thinking that a game was poorly played can be seen as trolling. I don't know if I'm saying things the wrong way or what. I know this team is better than the way they played tonight, though.

I borderline trolled with the "flush" comments, but I believe that you are making some informed observations about the game and team as a whole. It's just tinged with a bit of post-game emotion. It happens.

chidonez
The last time the Sox beat the Royals in extra innings this season, Jenks blew the save. The Royals got a three-run homer to give Nathan a blown save this year before losing in extra innings. Actually, in that series in the Metrodome, the Twins and Royals played two extra-inning games. Other A-list closers have blown saves to the Royals this year. Monday the Royals won an extra-inning game in St. Petersburg after Soria blew a save by allowing a ninth-inning home run to the Rays, who have the league's best record.

The Royals play a lot of close game. They lose most of them, which is why their record is what it is. They don't give up. In most games they don't have enough.

This was a great win. Every Sox win is a great win. The Sox didn't play a great game. At least twice they had two on and one out and failed to score. They still came back in the eighth, something a few weeks ago this Sox team hadn't done this year. Perhaps the Sox used their ideal Jenks-less closer to keep the game close or tied in regulation. Had the Twins brought in Nathan when the Red Sox came up with the tying run in the eighth instead of holding him back for the ninth, the Twins might have won. Fortunately, they didn't.

People are going to complain that Guillen misused his bullpen tonight. When Contreras was still on the mound, people in the gamethread wanted to go to the bullpen much earlier than they did. As it turned out, Guillen managed his bullpen well enough to win.

Good games from Thome, Konerko and Ramirez. Ramirez scored two big runs in extra innings.

A great win. When I picked up the game in the fourth inning and watched through the seventh, I wasn't sure if they had it in them tonight.

You make too much sense for the Internet.

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Very well said. Was it a frustrating game? Yes. But they won and thats good enough reason to go to bed in a good mood.

And last time I checked, we are still in first! And the Twins lost. :gulp:

Damn right. The chocolate milk is flowing in the ilsox7 abode this fine evening.

Cuck the Fubs
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
I borderline trolled with the "flush" comments, but I believe that you are making some informed observations about the game and team as a whole. It's just tinged with a bit of post-game emotion. It happens.

I would agree with you if it happened once....when you do it three times, one of them in GIANT bold letters.....I dunno. :scratch:

johnnyg83
07-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Alexei is sensational. Fast, smart, clutch ... he's a godsend. He's made the bottom of the order as dangerous as the rest ...kudos to Kenny.

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:06 AM
I would agree with you if it happened once....when you do it three times, one of them in GIANT bold letters.....I dunno. :scratch:

Fair enough. I just kept getting the image of Al Bundy with the toilet next to the couch....

If it wasn't in bold letters, would it have been as bad? Ponder this!

TomBradley72
An agonizing game...great to steal the win.

Some good signs for the offense:

Alexei now hitting .310 on the season
Thome's average at .240 for the 1st time in a long time (.295 over the last 30 days)
PK looked sharp
Wise becoming a reliable base stealer off the bench
Crede driving the ball, could be coming out of his funkOne by one our hitters are coming "on line". AJ, Quentin, then Alexei, then Cabrera, then Dye, then Swisher, now Thome, PK and Crede.

Crash_Davis
My 10yr old woke me up in the 9th to tell me the Sox tied it up and are going into extra innings then preceded to sit with me and watch as gamecast took 4 minutes to update each pitch as we took the lead......then lost our lead.....then take the lead again...then load the bases.....then get a big W.

Then we got yelled at by my wife for him being up after midnight.

Boondock Saint
07-09-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm calm *dude*.

Now get lost.

If you don't think every team who has ever won a WS has had games like this then you know NOTHING about baseball.

You've got a point about me being over the top with my last sentence there, it's not what I wanted to convey. I wasn't saying that tonights game was indicitive of how they play, or how they'll play past this point. I just thought this game could/should have been ended after nine innings.

Rocky Soprano
07-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Fair enough. I just kept getting the image of Al Bundy with the toilet next to the couch....

It was horrible the first time you said it, bold or no bold and the only image I see when I see posts like that is: :dtroll:

Cuck the Fubs
07-09-2008, 01:08 AM

To be honest it wasn't the bold that made it bad it was the moments it was posted.

Right before Masset throws the double play ball?

Had they lost the game, perhaps your flushing would have had more teeth.

Flushing 3 times during the course of a crazy game that we win is insane!!

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:08 AM
It was horrible the first time you said it, bold or no bold and the only image I see when I see posts like that is: :dtroll:

Alright! I admit it, I was trolling.

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 01:09 AM
The royals are a good hitting team and I knew this would be a tough series. Tonite was a must win to have a good series. Now, there should be some spring in there step. PK looked good...did he drop some weight?
Jose was not good but he battled and almost gutted out six innings on a hot humid nite with 4 runs..I would take it considering how sloppy the sox played with the wet field ect. I wish jose did not have to pitch sunday vs the rangers tho...he needs the rest.

johnnyg83
07-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Alexei is sensational. Fast, smart, clutch ... he's a godsend. He's made the bottom of the order as dangerous as the rest ...kudos to Kenny.

I love watching the Sox with my son. We're in KC so his friends are Royals, or more like KU and Chiefs fans, so when we were talking to the kindergarten teacher the first thing she said to us was, "Boy does your son like the White Sox!"

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:10 AM
To be honest it wasn't the bold that made it bad it was the moments it was posted.

Right before Masset throws the double play ball?

Had they lost the game, perhaps your flushing would have had more teeth.

Flushing 3 times during the course of a crazy game that we win is insane!!

Well it wasn't like I knew Masset was going throw a pitch and make the double play. If I did know that was going to happen, I would have also bought several lottery tickets as well...because, as a wise man once said, you can't win if you don't play.

SoxGirl4Life
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
My 10yr old woke me up in the 9th to tell me the Sox tied it up and are going into extra innings then preceded to sit with me and watch as gamecast took 4 minutes to update each pitch as we took the lead......then lost our lead.....then take the lead again...then load the bases.....then get a big W.

Awww... but the SOX WIN! Worth getting yelled at.

TomBradley72
07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
We're only 3 games behind TB for best record in baseball. I think we have a pretty good team, and we still haven't completely clicked and gone on a run we're capable of.

kruzer31
07-09-2008, 01:12 AM
ok enough, they just said on sportsnite that Dye is trailing Longoria by percentage points, lets go vote

Jeff

TDog

Winning a game when it looks like you're going to lose -- and every team looks like they're going to lose occasionally -- especially on the road, is exactly the sort of win that takes teams to the postseason.

By the way, if you paid attention to the Royals, you would have noticed that they tied a game off Nathan earlier this year with a two-out three-run ninth inning inside-the-park homer to tie a game the Twins won in 12 innings. The next night, the Twins won in 9-8 in 10 innings.

Rocky Soprano
Well it wasn't like I knew Masset was going throw a pitch and make the double play. If I did know that was going to happen, I would have also bought several lottery tickets as well...because, as a wise man once said, you can't win if you don't play.

That's exactly why you should WAIT for the game to end before losing it.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 01:13 AM
I just thought this game could/should have been ended after nine innings.

Every game can...What's your point?

We kept clawing and scratching on a day when our starter didn't give us much and our pen wasn't up to snuff. We scored late (8th), then later (11th) and even later (13th) and the offense picked up the pitching.

For all the bitching, pissing and moaning people were doing when we couldn't score runs, to all the bitching, pissing and moaning people were doing when we scored too many runs, now people are bitching that we can't win games in 9 innings?

For ****sake - what the **** do you want? You won't get perfection every game. But this was a great win and you dump the crappy piss and moan post on this because it took us too many innings? Are you ****ing serious?

Get Lost

SoxGirl4Life
07-09-2008, 01:13 AM

Well, you didn't know that he was going to throw a pitch and lose the game either. Point is, take it all in stride.

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Anyways, tonight it was nice to see them fight back and run the bases well. Thome looked solid and Konerko had some solid at bats. The bad is that Jenks may be going to the DL for who knows how long. Our bullpen is very good but Linebrink shouldn't close, I think his first pitch HR's and several blown leads have more than proven that.

If Konerko starts to hit and is healthy then that, obviously, is a huge boost. Combine that with a hot Dye and a decent Thome and the offense may gain back some consistency. The closing situation has me worried still. I think Ozzie is just gonna have to let the hot hand stay in the game if they are cruising.

jabrch
We're only 3 games behind TB for best record in baseball. I think we have a pretty good team, and we still haven't completely clicked and gone on a run we're capable of.

There is no reason to believe the Sox won't be in it all season.

SoxGirl4Life
Oh my God.. who is this caller?

"Why can't we play Boston? We always play Kansas City"

Crash_Davis
07-09-2008, 01:15 AM

I can't believe how good Alexei has been since that SF 2-run HR game. It was kinda of like a "Hey I can play" moment for him.

Droso5

"Why can't we play Boston?"

It begins!!!!

jabrch

Great kid!!! You have done a good job raising him/her.

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Bizarro call time for ranger...anybody can dial the digits I guess.
Then she is rewarded for her fine effort with a gift certificate...go figure.

ArkanSox
07-09-2008, 01:16 AM
This was a big, fat, sloppy...but gratifying w i n.

She wasn't all that pretty, but sure wore me out.

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Bizarro call time for ranger...anybody can dial the digits I guess.
Then she is rewarded for her fine effort with a gift certificate...go figure.

I think he goes into every show with the best of intentions...when that all falls to hell, he just flings the gift cards to whoever and prayers for it all to end.

ChiSoxGirl
07-09-2008, 01:17 AM

"Why can't we play Boston? We always play Kansas City"

It's chicks like her who give intelligent baseball-minded chicks like us a bad name. :rolleyes:

Rocky Soprano
07-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Anyways, tonight it was nice to see them fight back and run the bases well. Thome looked solid and Konerko had some solid at bats. The bad is that Jenks may be going to the DL for who knows how long. Our bullpen is very good but Linebrink shouldn't close, I think his first pitch HR's and several blown leads have more than proven that.

If Konerko starts to hit and is healthy then that, obviously, is a huge boost. Combine that with a hot Dye and a decent Thome and the offense may gain back some consistency. The closing situation has me worried still. I think Ozzie is just gonna have to let the hot hand stay in the game if they are cruising.

Good post, was that too difficult? :D:

johnnyg83
07-09-2008, 01:19 AM
There's a great line from Doris Kearns Goodwin I'm reminded of, and I'll paraphrase here badly and not briefly, but she grew up a Brooklyn Dodgers fan and as a young girl (six) she learned to and would keep score of the afternoon Dodger games via the radio so her dad could come home from work and read the boxscore before dinner since he couldn't listen at work.

Well she talks about her favorite day of the year being the day her dad would take her to the game and she would close her eyes and feel the sun on her face, smell the beer and the popcorn and the grass and hear the fans and players yelling and she thought she was in heaven cause she loved baseball and her dad.

Then she talks about how years later after her dad has passed away and she's in Fenway Park and her grown sons have disappointed her by becoming Red Sox fans and she closes her eyes ... and she smells the same smells and hears the same shouts and feels the same sun on her face .. and it's there she feels her dad next to her again.

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Good post, was that too difficult? :D:

Not at all! Things got a bit crazy back there....a few breaths and some careful reflection have remedied this.

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
knock on wood, How long can this Alexei streak last? He is on fire at the plate and on the bases. Scoring twice from first on a double and from second on a sac fly just does not happen in a sox uni. As hawk used to say about ray-ray....I luvvvv to watch alexei run.

SoxGirl4Life
07-09-2008, 01:21 AM
It's chicks like her who give intelligent baseball-minded chicks like us a bad name. :rolleyes:

Exactly!

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:21 AM
There's a great line from Doris Kearns Goodwin I'm reminded of, and I'll paraphrase here badly and not briefly, but she grew up a Brooklyn Dodgers fan and as a young girl (six) she learned to and would keep score of the afternoon Dodger games via the radio so her dad could come home from work and read the boxscore before dinner since he couldn't listen at work.

Well she talks about her favorite day of the year being the day her dad would take her to the game and she would close her eyes and feel the sun on her face, smell the beer and the popcorn and the grass and hear the fans and players yelling and she thought she was in heaven cause she loved baseball and her dad.

Then she talks about how years later after her dad has passed away and she's in Fenway Park and her grown sons have disappointed her by becoming Red Sox fans and she closes her eyes ... and she smells the same smells and hears the same shouts and feels the same sun on her face .. and it's there she feels her dad next to her again.

Simply Awesome.

TDog
07-09-2008, 01:22 AM
It begins!!!!

I caught that on the Internet.

Complaining that the Sox are always playing Kansas City inspired eye-rolling. Some fans are more casual than others, I guess.

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:22 AM
knock on wood, How long can this Alexei streak last? He is on fire at the plate and on the bases. Scoring twice from first on a double and from second on a sac fly just does not happen in a sox uni. As hawk used to say about ray-ray....I luvvvv to watch alexei run.

Uh, that doesn't work on the internet.

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 01:23 AM

The lady has a way with words...her latest lincoln book is excellent. And her comment is so true. Nothing like attending a big league ballgame with your dad as a youngster...unforgettable for most of us.

Cuck the Fubs
07-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Not at all! Things got a bit crazy back there....a few breaths and some careful reflection have remedied this.

:gulp: Welcome back to sanity my friend :gulp:

Crash_Davis
07-09-2008, 01:27 AM

I took him to a game in 04 when we were stationed near Oakland. He was 6 and he hated JD because he always heard me saying "that guy always kills us". Well Shingo caught a lined shot right back at his head to end the game and he still mentions it anytime someone hits a come backer. (Oh and JD is now his favorite player)

oeo
07-09-2008, 01:29 AM

The way Alexei has made adjustments in not only his short time here, but from AB to AB and sometimes pitch to pitch makes me believe that he's going to win a batting title one day. He looks that good.

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 01:38 AM
The thing with alexei is that he drives me a little nuts always going after that first pitch ,the second pitch, the third pitch....but he always redeems himself by just getting hits no matter the count. Maybe he would not be as good if he was more selective...dont go changing anything right now,alexei.

PeteWard
07-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Like who? i was there tonight. Yeah, I saw some healthy pessimism, but people do get passionate when the team is losing. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. You have to consider it in context. Otherwise, chill.

People were writing that the game was over in the 4th inning for crying out loud. That's not healthy pessimism. That's just whiney.

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Tiger fans are getting crazed about how they cannot pick up much ground despite going 21-8 in their last 29 games. :D:

Droso5
07-09-2008, 01:41 AM
People were writing that the game was over in the 4th inning for crying out loud. That's not healthy pessimism. That's just whiney.

I think it stems from the fact that we are playing a sub-par Royals team and the friggin' Twins, even with all their woes, are still nipping at our heels. If it was any other team I believe the reaction would have been a bit tamer. As it stands, it's the ****ing Twins, and everyone hates the ****ing Twins, their piranhas, stupid Justin Mourneau, that stupid dome they play in and all of their stupid bloop hits!

I'm getting worked up just typing it.

TDog
07-09-2008, 01:42 AM
The way Alexei has made adjustments in not only his short time here, but from AB to AB and sometimes pitch to pitch makes me believe that he's going to win a batting title one day. He looks that good.

No kidding. At the beginning of the season, he looked like he couldn't hit anything off-speed and deadly on good fastballs. Recently, he has been so good on off-speed junk that some pitchers believe the book on him is to blow him away with fastballs. It isn't.

I've seen a lot of Sox rookies. I have never been so impressed with one.

slavko
07-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Masset is raw, but those 2 hits in the 13th were seeing eye hits. IMO he has more potential, stuff and temperament, to be a closer than anyone non-Jenks on this staff. But he's raw. like I said. I am real curious to see where he is in 2 years. No, he's not a first option closer for a playoff team right now.

PeteWard
07-09-2008, 01:54 AM
No kidding. At the beginning of the season, he looked like he couldn't hit anything off-speed and deadly on good fastballs. Recently, he has been so good on off-speed junk that some pitchers believe the book on him is to blow him away with fastballs. It isn't.

Not even Pete Ward? :tongue:

I am so shocked how good this guy is and I can't wait till he shocks the rest of the country during the playoffs.

Every time I get a bit annoyed at him for swinging from the heels and think he is going to start Uribing , he pokes the next pitch into right or lashes one up the middle. And his base running!!!! :D:

johnnyg83
07-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Octavio and Thornton looked so good tonight ... it's hard to think that Ozzie isn't at least contemplating

PeteWard
07-09-2008, 01:57 AM

And about 6 weeks ago I thought Harrelson and DJ were over-hyping him :redface:(they do that occasionally).

Now I believe.

TDog
07-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Not even Pete Ward? :tongue:

I am so shocked how good this guy is and I can't wait till he shocks the rest of the country during the playoffs.

Every time I get a bit annoyed at him for swinging from the heels and think he is going to start Uribing , he pokes the next pitch into right or lashes one up the middle. And his base running!!!! :D:

My father (who grew up a Brooklyn Dodgers fan in New Jersey) moved to the Chicago area in the summer of 1959 and became a Sox fan. I have been told that he loved Pete Ward (though I doubt he was the best rookie he ever saw come up because he was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan in 1947).

I am guessing I feel about Alexei Ramirez, not as he felt about Pete Ward, but how he felt, for purely baseball reasons, about Jackie Robinson.

Jerome
07-09-2008, 02:02 AM
:):bandance:

those two big double plays late have got to just kill KC

and no more of Line-drivebrink as closer

goodsy72
07-09-2008, 02:02 AM

To me this kind of baseball will take us to the playoffs. Some nights the team is just gonna be a little flat, they're just not gonna be as sharp as they want to be. But when you can pull one from deep out of your ass on nights like that and still open up a two game lead on the twinks, then that **** ain't bad. Thats just my two cents worth.:cool:

Come on Javy get that no hitter tomarrow:bandance:

thomas35forever
07-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Good job by the offense to bail out Linebrink in the end. Ozzie, don't let Linebrink give us panic attacks like he did tonight. No more 71 in the 9th or later!

gf2020
07-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Aside from the obvious (Jenks' health,) I don't know why everybody is worried about our bullpen being tired. I know that like a week ago, that our bullpen had the fewest innings pitched of any team in the AL. It couldn't have changed that much. Obviously no one likes to go into extras to beat a sub par opponent, but we just had a day off and only have to get through five more games until the break where everybody on staff will get five days off.

If we had maybe two more games like this for the rest of this series, I'd be worried about heading into Texas, but that's unlikely. I mean, the Royals just got hammered by Tampa Bay, played extras and haven't had a day off since June 26. We are in much better shape than them.

nlentz88
07-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Get Line out the closer role and pray to God Bobby comes back in top shape after the break.

Amen!

Sockinchisox
07-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Listened to the 9th inning on, on the radio. Very happy with the result but that 11th inning had my blood boiling ha.

spongyfungy
07-09-2008, 02:49 AM
a 4 for 5 day for Thome? Don't see that very often. good going for him.

What is going on with yahoo's box score? according to them, german is on the white sox

Stringer
07-09-2008, 03:08 AM
:thome:

Amazing evening for Big Jim

Keep it up!!

I want Matt or Ock closing

russ99
07-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Whew. Glad to wake up and see we won. :D:

I feel bad for Scott, he's been so great for us this year, but it seems he's just not cut out to be a closer. Hopefully Ozzie got the message, and Linebrink can continue his excellent 8th inning work.

Octavio has been a closer predominantly throughout his entire career, so unless there has been pressure from Kenny to see how Linebrink can do, I don't understand why Dotel hasn't been Jenks' backup from the get-go.

Stick with O Do Tell until Bobby comes back, and we'll be fine. Rotating closers has always been a bad idea...

Railsplitter
07-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Anybody notice the guy in the stands in the banana costume? I wonder if he had reason to celebrate afterward?

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Bucky F. Dent
07-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Went to sleep grumbling after Linebrink gave the lead away.

Glad to see we pulled this one out.

A complete game from Javy is in order.

aryzner
07-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Honestly I went to bed and figured we would lose that won. Good thing we won, I think we needed that one with the Twins losing again tonight. I like building up a lead in the division! :)

palehozenychicty
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Well, we take tha' one. :D:

Bobby needs to come back strong.

stl_sox_fan
07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Whew, dragging this morning. The only thing more frustrating than watching those extra innings, was watching the KC feed.
They had a bunch of chances to put this thing away. In the books, it's a win.

It was kind of funny to see Kulpa chewing out Ramirez after Alexei's check swing.

balke
07-09-2008, 09:53 AM
:):bandance:

those two big double plays late have got to just kill KC

and no more of Line-drivebrink as closer

Wow what a dumb nickname. Great to see the Sox have such loyal fans. Should we go back to the judy garland days when everytime a player stinks it up we give them a nickname like 8 year olds? Way to show support for a guy still holding a 2.37 ERA after giving up runs in 4 straight games. He's not a great closer, he's an 8th inning specialist who throws a ton of fastballs. This is almost as bad as the Mets fans getting on Wagner, after he had like a 0.80 ERA for the first 2 months.

asindc
07-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Maybe I am just numbed from Bar/Bri. Or not going to Bar/Bri. I barely registered any emotion to anything that happened in the game tonight.

Bar/Bri will do that to you. Fortunately, the experience will fade into distant memory eventually.

Stated many times already, but Alexei is the ****ing man! I was also really pleased that Thome had a strong game and that the Sox manufactured many of their runs. Oh yeah, Thornton should close until Jenks gets back.

Hitmen77
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
There was a point last night where the Sox were down 4-1 late in the game and the Twins were up 5-2 late in their game. So, it was really looking like our 1st place lead was going to drop to 1/2 game. It's great to end up the night with a 2.5 game lead instead.

We need a solid outing by Javy tonight where he pitches deep into the game to give our pen a rest.

KenBerryGrab
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
They've lost a lot of games like this in the past, and they've sent the team into tailspins. Pulling this one out will be a huge boost, you wait and see. It'll be like a B-12 shot.

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
07-09-2008, 04:35 PM

The only thing that worries me about him is the too long season, here in Cuba they only used to play 100+ games every season with a 6 days playing 1 day rest schedule, so he will be playing a 60% more games this season with few rest days in between, and you know how skinny he is, so im affraid is he will become tired in the end of teh season.

I hope the physical trainer is doing a good job with him and giving him a double portion of both lunch & dinner:wink:

Ron Karkovice
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
The only thing that worries me about him is the too long season, here in Cuba they only used to play 100+ games every season with a 6 days playing 1 day rest schedule, so he will be playing a 60% more games this season with few rest days in between, and you know how skinny he is, so im affraid is he will become tired in the end of teh season.

I hope the physical trainer is doing a good job with him and giving him a double portion of both lunch & dinner:wink:

Good thing Herm Scheider leads by example by being in great shape himself.

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
the trainer has great insight into maintaining fitness...and nourishing the body.... but I understand your concern about Alexei's stamina...but he did not play many games in April and May so that should help.

It's Dankerific
07-09-2008, 05:04 PM
the trainer has great insight into maintaining fitness...and nourishing the body.... but I understand your concern about Alexei's stamina...but he did not play many games in April and May so that should help.

Thats how I like to look at the BA situation. Management isn't benching him, they're saving him for the stretch run in late august, september and october.

Everyone knows you wait till the last moment to play your ringers!

About Alexei: The way this guy just oozes awesome, I don't think its possible for him to get tired.

SoxyStu
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Anybody notice the guy in the stands in the banana costume? I wonder if he had reason to celebrate afterward?

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Was chillin with a bud last night enjoying the game and we both got a kick out of the fat man in the FTI shirt behind the plate. His reactions to the umpiring was a riot!