PDA

View Full Version : Cherry-picking bad teams' rosters: Who might the Sox want?

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Thought I'd fire up some trade-deadline discussion here.

Who might the Sox think about pursuing as July 31 approaches?

If Jenks is out for an extended period, is bullpen a need?

How about some pop or some speed off the bench?

What about a starter, and moving Contreras to the pen?

Or is this team as good as it gets?

Discuss it here...

TheOldRoman
07-08-2008, 11:35 PM
I'd love Casey Blake for the bench. However, he is a pretty good player with some value. Even though he is a pending FA, the Indians wouldn't trade him to the Sox and help the Sox potentially win a world series unless they were getting a king's ransom, which they wouldn't.

A.T. Money
07-08-2008, 11:46 PM
I'd love Casey Blake for the bench. However, he is a pretty good player with some value. Even though he is a pending FA, the Indians wouldn't trade him to the Sox and help the Sox potentially win a world series unless they were getting a king's ransom, which they wouldn't.

You seriously don't want to give Cleveland anyone that can burn us down the road.

kittle42
07-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Only Jim Hendry can successfully trade within his division. :D:

oeo
07-09-2008, 12:40 AM
You seriously don't want to give Cleveland anyone that can burn us down the road.

Considering we don't have anything to help Cleveland burn us down the road, it works out well.

DickAllen72
07-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Sox need another top quality reliever who can also be a closer now that Jenks appears to have issues. I doubt if they can get one, though.

Domeshot17
07-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I would love to add Ron Mahay from the Royals.

Another guy I know we can't afford but I would atleast inquire about is Erik Bedard. I know it is a monster long shot, but getting to the playoffs scares me. You have a inconsistent Buehrle, Javy has struggled in pressure games this year, and then you put the load on 2 kids (who have been GREAT).

TheOldRoman
07-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Sox need another top quality reliever who can also be a closer now that Jenks appears to have issues. I doubt if they can get one, though.They also need Manny Ramirez to back up Quentin, Grady Sizemore as a pinch runner/defensive replacement, and Johan as a long man.

While I am not sure if the E.R.A. currently supports it, this is the best bullpen in baseball. Bobby has an injury in his non-throwing shoulder. While I am concerned about it, I think our BP will be fine.

hawkjt
07-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Damaso Marte would be welcome back on the south side as far as I am concerned...he is nasty again.

scarsofthumper
07-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Jason Varitek

SoxSpeed22
07-09-2008, 01:17 AM
The only player that interests me is Fred Lewis from the Giants. He may be able to play center field, he can lead off and steal. The main problem is who the odd man out would be, between Swisher, Konerko, Thome, Dye and Quentin.

whitesox901
07-09-2008, 03:59 AM
and why not get Shingo Takatsu back here????

but in all seriousness, I would like to see Geoff Blum

russ99
07-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm very nervous about Contreras. Kenny needs to go out and get another starter option, as there's no way Loaiza helps us this year.

Another reliable righy reliever and a speed/OBP bench player would be nice too, but not vital to our chances. A CF/2B leadoff hitter will be addressed this offseason, but they won't mess with that now, since the team looks pretty solid.

seventyseven
07-09-2008, 09:28 AM
If he ever comes off the DL, Ryan Freel.

wulfy
07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd like to actually see a backup catcher who can actually throw somebody out - Miguel Olivo would be welcome in a return to the South Side.

I'd also like to see a 6th starter/swing guy who can fill a short-term spot in the rotation if the injury bug hits. The guy the Cubs picked up, Chad Gaudin, would have fit the bill nicely.

pmck003
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Contreras and the Knights for Bedard? It will be interesting to see if the Mariners give up Bedard and if they get back something close to what they gave up. I don't think he's worth as much as the Mariners will want - he hasn't gone very deep into games lately.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 11:05 AM

I'd give them anything to burn us down the road if we position ourselves win it all this year.

jabrch
07-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Contreras and the Knights for Bedard? It will be interesting to see if the Mariners give up Bedard and if they get back something close to what they gave up. I don't think he's worth as much as the Mariners will want - he hasn't gone very deep into games lately.

Bedard is not healty. I'd pass on him. I'm fine with Contreras being our effective 5th starter and not making the post season roster if that's how it works out.

skottyj242
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I'd like to actually see a backup catcher who can actually throw somebody out - Miguel Olivo would be welcome in a return to the South Side.

Here we go again.

PatK
07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Huston Street, if I could dream.

I wouldn't mind Marte back.

skottyj242
07-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Ross Gload for Andy Thong Song.

07-09-2008, 12:12 PM
They could use a long relief guy. Loaiza looks like toast. Somebody like Chad Gaudin would've fit the bill.

With that said, I agree with the poster who said they should aim higher and try for a front line guy. I'm not sure they have the bullets though.

There are lots of possibilities though. Teams are starting to fall out of contention and the two big trades in the last two days should open up the market.

DUCKSNORT86
07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I think kenny is happy with what we got heading into the second half of the season. Besides all our position players are filled. Maybe a little more help out of the bullpen, but besides that there is no void. I am really liking Swisher playing first base, Konerko just does not do anything for me any more. We can win without him playing. Other then that when Jenks comes back everything should be hunky-dory:bandance:

gr8mexico
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I think kenny is happy with what we got heading into the second half of the season. Besides all our position players are filled. Maybe a little more help out of the bullpen, but besides that there is no void. I am really liking Swisher playing first base, Konerko just does not do anything for me any more. We can win without him playing. Other then that when Jenks comes back everything should be hunky-dory:bandance: Swish has been playing good 1st base and the Sox have been doing great with Konerko on the DL. Would the Diamondbacks be interested in Konerko. Eric Byrnes is done for the season.

ilsox7
07-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Swish has been playing good 1st base and the Sox have been doing great with Konerko on the DL. Would the Diamondbacks be interested in Konerko. Eric Byrnes is done for the season.

Why the heck would PK agree to a trade right now?

kittle42
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Swish has been playing good 1st base and the Sox have been doing great with Konerko on the DL. Would the Diamondbacks be interested in Konerko. Eric Byrnes is done for the season.

1. Why would Konerko take a trade?

2. This would necessitate AZ moving Conor Jackson to LF full-time, whioch they may not be inclined to do.

skottyj242
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM

2. This would necessitate AZ moving Conor Jackson to LF full-time, whioch they may not be inclined to do.

I just saw on ESPN that Arizona has "not ruled out" calling Bonds.

soxfandy
07-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I do not see the Sox going after an everyday position player considering we are pretty solid everywhere. We do need a utility infielder and i'm sure KW will find one. Our bullpen is fine so leave it alone unless jenks misses extended time. I would not mind making an upgrade over Contreras in the rotation. With the roster we have, we just don't have a ton of flexibility to make a trade. Our relievers would have a ton of value on the market, but they are not going anywhere. The only other pieces I could see us trading are thome or konerko and nobody wants thome's contract and I don't see paulie waiving his rights unless it is the absolute perfect situation for him.

DickAllen72
07-09-2008, 05:21 PM
They also need Manny Ramirez to back up Quentin, Grady Sizemore as a pinch runner/defensive replacement, and Johan as a long man.

:rolleyes:

CLR01
07-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Griffey and Rowand. They're both so dreamy.

Foulke You
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
As long as we're playing fantasy GM here, I really like the stuff that Soria features from the Royals. He'd be a welcome addition to any bullpen. You can never have enough lockdown bullpen arms in my opinion. I feel comfortable with Dotel, Linebrink (the 8th inning version), Jenks, and Logan. Masset and Russell have done decently in their roles but I wouldn't call them "lockdown" bullpen guys quite yet. It couldn't hurt to add one more guy.

Optipessimism
07-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Ramon Vazquez of Texas. He's a veteran having a great year and he can play third for stretches if Crede's back doesn't hold up. He's the type of guy that can come up with a clutch single or lay down a bunt in a situation that calls for it. If he's not too much he'd be a great addition to the bench, and that's really the only area I expect to see the Sox upgrade at if they make any moves at all.

Another guy from Texas that I really like and have liked for quite some time is Kameron Loe. If he's available and comes cheap enough I'd love to see what Coop could do with him. He's got a great arm from the right side and a funky delivery.

A great buy low option could be Willy Taveras if he's available. He could replace both Anderson and Wise on the bench and slide into CF every day if a slugger is moved over the offseason.

Anthony Reyes might not be that expensive if he's made available and he's another guy I like. Could he be another Floyd? Maybe it's more of an offseason type move, but assuming Contreras is dealt over the offseason, which I think is a certainty if he has a good year, it would be nice to bring in a reclamation project with some real upside to compete for the 5th starter spot. Until then he'd be added insurance.

And in the no chance in hell category, if there's any chance the Jays are now regretting the big extension they gave to Alex Rios, I'd sell the farm for him, and I mean sell for the farm for him, and put him in CF for a long time. I wouldn't care about playing time for the sluggers either. One of them can ride the bench for all I care. I loves me some Alex Rios, and I think that contract is going to end up a bargain. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

EMel9281
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
We're going to need a backup 3B for Crede, especially if we want him to contribute in the postseason. This can be for health reasons and/or defensive replacement reasons.

An upgrade of Toby Hall would be nice. I am not in the FOMO club, but Olivo would be welcome back. Again, a defensive upgrade.

Finally, another quality arm in the bullpen would be nice. Yes, our pen has been lights out this year, but with the risk we have in Masset, Loiaza, and Russell, I think another great asset here would do the trick.

I almost seems that we're at the point where we were in 05. I remember listening to the trade deadline coverage on 1000, and hearing that we got Geoff Blum. I thought he needed something more, something bigger. But, that's all we got, and that's all we needed. Same this year, no big moves, just peripheral ones.

TheOldRoman
07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
:rolleyes:Perhaps my post was over your head, I'm sorry. We have the best bullpen in baseball. You said we need another top reliever who can close. Being that we have the best bullpen in baseball, we don't need that. It would be a luxury. We have other areas of need that could be addressed.

Scottiehaswheels
07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
My pick is a current Astro, plays middle infield(actually I guess he plays all 4 infield positions it looks like).... Mark Loretta, for the bench of course.

Brian26
07-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Would the Diamondbacks be interested in Konerko. Eric Byrnes is done for the season.

Why the heck would PK agree to a trade right now?

Arizona might be the one team that PK would waive his no-trade clause for.

Scottiehaswheels
07-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Arizona might be the one team that PK would waive his no-trade clause for.He does still live there in the off season right?

WhiteSoxOnly
07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
He does still live there in the off season right?

Yes

Madscout
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM
The only player that interests me is Fred Lewis from the Giants. He may be able to play center field, he can lead off and steal. The main problem is who the odd man out would be, between Swisher, Konerko, Thome, Dye and Quentin.
Sounds like Wise to me. Wise would be expendable after a player like that comes over.

DickAllen72
07-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Perhaps my post was over your head, I'm sorry. We have the best bullpen in baseball. You said we need another top reliever who can close. Being that we have the best bullpen in baseball, we don't need that. It would be a luxury. We have other areas of need that could be addressed.

The topic was if you could cherry pick someone off non-contending team's rosters, what would help the Sox. My opinion is that the Sox could use another quality reliever who doesn't crap his pants if asked to get the final three outs, especially since Bobby may have issues. I immediately added that I doubt anyone like that is available.

As far as being a luxury, a guy like that would be a much more useful addition to this ballclub than would a Casey Blake.

Your sarcastic response was not over my head. I realize you were just trying to be a wise ass, hence the rolling eyes.

TheOldRoman
07-10-2008, 12:19 AM
The topic was if you could cherry pick someone off non-contending team's rosters, what would help the Sox. My opinion is that the Sox could use another quality reliever who doesn't crap his pants if asked to get the final three outs, especially since Bobby may have issues. I immediately added that I doubt anyone like that is available.

As far as being a luxury, a guy like that would be a much more useful addition to this ballclub than would a Casey Blake.

Your sarcastic response was not over my head. I realize you were just trying to be a wise ass, hence the rolling eyes.Ok, so Bobby comes back and is healthy... Linebrink stays dominant in the 8th inning, Dotel keeps on doing what he has been, Thorton is nails, etc. Where does this guy pitch? Logan has been great, but we barely have innings for him as it is. It would be great to be able to go 6 deep with lockdown releivers, but it isn't necessary. We aren't going to play too many 13 inning games.

A bench player might be of more use, especially if he can backup Crede at 3rd, and gives a really good bat off the bench. That is just my opinion.

DickAllen72
07-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Ok, so Bobby comes back and is healthy... Linebrink stays dominant in the 8th inning, Dotel keeps on doing what he has been, Thorton is nails, etc. Where does this guy pitch? Logan has been great, but we barely have innings for him as it is. It would be great to be able to go 6 deep with lockdown releivers, but it isn't necessary. We aren't going to play too many 13 inning games.

A bench player might be of more use, especially if he can backup Crede at 3rd, and gives a really good bat off the bench. That is just my opinion.
If we got a bench player who can back up third-let's say Blake-who gets sent down/cut? Uribe can back up SS, 2B and 3B, Ozzie likes Wise for his speed and LH bat, and Anderson is their best (and only above average) defensive outfielder.

I agree that Blake would be a good bat off the bench, though. I'm just not sure the Indians would trade him to the Sox unless they over-pay, and although I respect your opinion and see the logic behind it I still think adding another quality bullpen arm (if possible) benefits this team more, especially down the stretch. Just an honest difference of opinion.

TheOldRoman
07-10-2008, 12:45 AM
If we got a bench player who can back up third-let's say Blake-who gets sent down/cut? Uribe can back up SS, 2B and 3B, Ozzie likes Wise for his speed and LH bat, and Anderson is their best (and only above average) defensive outfielder.

I agree that Blake would be a good bat off the bench, though. I'm just not sure the Indians would trade him to the Sox unless they over-pay, and although I respect your opinion and see the logic behind it I still think adding another quality bullpen arm (if possible) benefits this team more, especially down the stretch. Just an honest difference of opinion.Fair enough. As I said before, I agree that the Sox wouldn't get Blake unless they overpay, but we are talking hypothetically. If the Sox were to get Blake, he would have to take Russell's spot, but we all know how Ozzie wants to keep 12 pitchers.

As for Wise, I am fine with riding a hot hand. If he stays hot and gets pinch steals the whole year, great. The Sox got two really good years out of Ozuna in a similar situation. I just hope there doesn't come a time where Wise hasn't had a hit in over a month and he is still on the team because he was on fire his first week. Honestly, I think Kenny will shock us all by unloading Uribe and bringing in a really good utility man, but that is neither here nor there.

34 Inch Stick
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
out of habit i say carl crawford

russ99
07-11-2008, 01:26 PM
My pick is a current Astro, plays middle infield(actually I guess he plays all 4 infield positions it looks like).... Mark Loretta, for the bench of course.

Northwestern grad Mark Loretta is awesome, but he's playing pretty much every day now in Houston, so why would he want to come here and ride the pine?

Also, speaking from experience as an Astro fan, we really really don't want to acquire Willy Tavarez. Jerry Owens is just as good if not better. If we get a leadoff/CF guy it needs to be someone better and more experienced than Owens.

Britt Burns
07-11-2008, 01:32 PM
out of habit i say carl crawford

:lol: Or Griffey, Jr.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2008, 08:30 PM
The 37-62 and hopelessly out of it Padres have some interesting players:

Brian Giles: Could play RF if Dye is down for an extended period, or CF if Konerko continues to struggle.

Trevor Hoffman: With years of closing experience, he would be a great set-up man.

Greg Maddux: Might catch lighting in a bottle in the AL; he definitely knows how to pitch.

Jake Peavy: Adds an ace to the top of the rotation.

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
The 37-62 and hopelessly out of it Padres have some interesting players:

Brian Giles: Could play RF if Dye is down for an extended period, or CF if Konerko continues to struggle.

Trevor Hoffman: With years of closing experience, he would be a great set-up man.

Greg Maddux: Might catch lighting in a bottle in the AL; he definitely knows how to pitch.

Jake Peavy: Adds an ace to the top of the rotation.
Jake Peavy is going no place. He is an untouchable. Hoffman has 5/10 I believe. Maddux hmmmmmm.

Lukin13
07-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a feeling we might add a CF.

I just hope he either is actually a CF not someone who is "servicable" out there... or it needs to be a superstar.

I see lots of names come up around here like Fred Lewis, Griffey Jr., or even Willie Harris. BUT my problem is all of those guys will only get one more hit per 20 at bats than Anderson and they will not be nearly the defender he is.

Tragg
07-20-2008, 10:17 PM
I see lots of names come up around here like Fred Lewis, Griffey Jr., or even Willie Harris. BUT my problem is all of those guys will only get one more hit per 20 at bats than Anderson and they will not be nearly the defender he is.Right - so dont' make the trade.

JB98
07-21-2008, 01:01 AM
I have a feeling we might add a CF.

I just hope he either is actually a CF not someone who is "servicable" out there... or it needs to be a superstar.

I see lots of names come up around here like Fred Lewis, Griffey Jr., or even Willie Harris. BUT my problem is all of those guys will only get one more hit per 20 at bats than Anderson and they will not be nearly the defender he is.

We don't need outfielders. That's one area where I'm comfortable with the guys we have, both the starters and the bench guys.

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Seattle's Raul Ibanez has been discussed elsewhere.

In terms of bullpen help, one might target the Mariners' J.J. Putz or Arthur Rhodes.

And while Bedard is on the DL, you might be able to go for Jarrod Washburn.