PDA

View Full Version : Ozuna designated for assignment

aryzner
07-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Just heard it on the Score... will try to find an article or something.

Edit: Thanks guys, will post link at the top of this thread now.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080708&content_id=3090661&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

kittle42
07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
There goes the mystery! Let the 4th OF debate continue! All hail Uribe! :D:

itsnotrequired
07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Who now becomes the first pitcher off the bench?

aryzner
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Also please someone else confirm who was listening to make sure I wasn't just hearing things!

Sockinchisox
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Holy **** Cowley got it right.

I guess now that CC is gone, they have no use for Pablo.

munchman33
07-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Who now becomes the first pitcher off the bench?

Probably Uribe.

Brian26
07-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Holy **** Cowley got it right.

He didn't get anything right until the Sox confirm it. I'm still waiting for the Bulls to announce Doug Collins as their new head coach and for Uribe to clear waivers from spring training, per the Score.

Edit- Ok, now its official. Thank you Pablo for the ALCS game 2 stolen base and the walkoff bunt against Oakland.

aryzner
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Laurence Holmes mentioned it again and it's on the score audio update on the right of 670's web site. That's all I can find right now.

Cuck the Fubs
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Just got this e mail from my season ticket rep :

COPYRIGHTED TEXT

Sockinchisox
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080708&content_id=3090661&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Hokiesox

Tekijawa
07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I hope Konerko worked on those double play ground outs and pop ups to the right fielder/2nd base man... I really missed those over the past few weeks!

whitem0nkey
07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Probably Uribe.

we need to photoshop some pictures about uribe and give them to ozzie so he has something to negate uribe's pictures.

whitem0nkey
07-08-2008, 01:23 PM

Jinks!

34 Inch Stick
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Interesting move. I wonder what kind of interest Pablo might get on the open market. He is not a particularly good fielder, he seems a step slower this year and he is 34. On the other hand he has experience at several positions and can hit coming off the bench.

I would hope he would accept an assignment to the minors with the thought that Uribe might still be traded.

Palehose Pete
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't like this move. Ozuna was good for filling in a 3rd for Crede and he was fast. This team could have dropped Wise to the minors and kept Ozuna. Oh well.

:scratch:

Rockabilly
07-08-2008, 01:28 PM
With Ozuna gone who makes the 40 man roster...

russ99
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Me neither, especially since we're essentially cutting Ozuna to keep a useless Juan Uribe on the bench. Maybe the Sox see Richar as someone who can take over that backup infielder spot, when Uribe is inevitably traded.

Maybe Kenny wants a free spot on the 40 man for the deadline, as this move looks solely to make room for Paul coming off the DL.

I hope Pablo takes the assignment to Charlotte rather than opting for free agency, as I think he plays a vital role on this team.

twentywontowin
Looks like I have to retire my Pablo jersey now.

WhiteSox5187
Well, thanks for the stolen base in game two of the ALCS and a fantastic job coming off the bench in '06...that leaves us with only Uribe as our lone backup infielder. Personally I'd like to see Uribe gone and we call up Richar and/or Getz to see what they can do, but they might only be able to play second.

Chez
I don't like this move. Ozuna was good for filling in a 3rd for Crede and he was fast. This team could have dropped Wise to the minors and kept Ozuna. Oh well.

Wise would have had to clear waivers, which may not have happended this time. I like this move and think Pablo will be back.

JermaineDye05
07-08-2008, 01:30 PM
With Ozuna gone who makes the 40 man roster...
Brian Roberts

WhiteSox5187
07-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Ozuna has lost a step and isn't anywhere near as good a fielder as Uribe. I'd rather have Wise than Ozuna, but I think I'd rather have Ozuna than Uribe.

SoxGirl4Life
07-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you Pablo!

Rockabilly
07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
It looks like Crede will have to play every day for the rest of the season. Because I dont want to see Uribe playing 3rd base...

Optipessimism
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Pablo deserves a nice appreciation thread. He was very good in his role. He should find success in another city where he can play a little bit more.

I also agree with the poster who said we need a back-up option for Crede now. I still don't trust Joe's back to stay healthy all season long, so it would be nice to have a guy that is capable of playing over there for a week or two if necessary. Uribe is too poor with the stick and with Fields being a rookie more or less I don't want him up in a pennant race, even if it's just a few games here or there. Hopefully Joe stays healthy though.

07-08-2008, 01:41 PM
It looks like Crede will have to play every day for the rest of the season. Because I dont want to see Uribe playing 3rd base...
Well, you will see Uribe play 3rd base. He's actually very good at it.

They opted for Uribe's defense over Pablo's offense. We'll also see Swisher rotating around more to give Dye, Thome, Quentin, and Konerko a breather.

I'm sure Williams will hope Pablo accepts an outright assignment to the minors so he can bring him back in September, if there's room on the 40 man at that point.

UofCSoxFan
07-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Well now that Sabathia is gone there is no need for him.

Honestly though I don't mind this move too much. Uribe can play third better than Ozuna, and with Wise and Anderson predominately on the bench, we don't need Ozuna as a pinch runner either.

JorgeFabregas
07-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Getz or Jason Bourgeois would be the logical choices for the extra spot on the 40-man, so far as I can tell.

Domeshot17
07-08-2008, 01:46 PM
It makes sense, Pablo seems to have lost 2 steps since his injury, is older, his defense was aweful and he wasnt the same hitter he had been in the past.

Uribe will be fine backing up 3rd once or twice a week. He did it in 04 plenty, has the arm and the reaction time.

I don't get why people are sad about this. Pablo wasn't fast anymore, and we have speed off the bench in Wise. Uribe is a better defensive player and neither are much to write home about with the stick.

Why worry about replacing a bad 2b who got stuck at 3b as a backup and complain about a gold glove calibur SS sliding over.

SoxSpeed22
07-08-2008, 01:47 PM
At least Wise is staying.
Pablo didn't have as much of a role on this team this year, but he was always helpful. Thanks for the work.

Gammons Peter
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm shocked he was able to stick in the bigs this long

Rockabilly
07-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Releasing Pablo means more playing time for Uribe.. I can't wait to get rid of the fat and lazy player....

KW should also release Uribe and make a trade for a backup middle Inf such as Marco Scutaro..

kittle42
07-08-2008, 01:55 PM
FOBAs rejoice! Defense wins out!

LITTLE NELL
07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
This was all about who can step in and play everyday in case of injury to OC, Alexei or Crede. Uribe can, Pablo can't.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
FOBAs rejoice! Defense wins out!

YES!!

:sunshine:

LITTLE NELL
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Does this mean since PK is back that Swish goes back to CF? I love him at 1B.

Tekijawa
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Why couldn't the 40th spot be used for Beckham? Wouldn't mind giving him a taste before the end of the year, we could check and see if OC is expendable or VERY expendable at that point.

Madvora
07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Having Wise's speed on the team now is definitely the reason that it was Ozuna instead of Uribe.

jenn2080
07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
AWWW ***. I loved Pablo.

UofCSoxFan
07-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Why couldn't the 40th spot be used for Beckham? Wouldn't mind giving him a taste before the end of the year, we could check and see if OC is expendable or VERY expendable at that point.

Beckham won't be signed until Aug 15. That will give him about 2 weeks of minor league ball. No way he is thrown into a playoff race at that point.

He'll be here soon enough. No reason to give him a taste now. You almost never see 1st round picks that aren't relief pitchers see time with the big league club the year they are drafted.

jabrch
07-08-2008, 02:15 PM

Then we'd have lost Wise to some other team and we'd have both Pablo and Uribe who can essentially play the same spots (except Uribe can play SS).

If we were not going to send BA down (he has options left) and we weren't going to send Russel down, then this was my next most preferred option.

soxinem1
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm sure it was a tough call, but the numbers speak for themselves. Ozuna was rarely used all year. Why keep him on the roster when Swisher, Uribe, BA, and Wise give you much more flexibility?

Say what you want about Uribe, but right now he is not a bad option to have if Ramirez, Crede, or OC get hurt or need a day off. He can play any of those positions for an extended time; Ozuna cannot.

Chez
07-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Beckham won't be signed until Aug 15. That will give him about 2 weeks of minor league ball. No way he is thrown into a playoff race at that point.

He'll be here soon enough. No reason to give him a taste now. You almost never see 1st round picks that aren't relief pitchers see time with the big league club the year they are drafted.

Agreed. Plus giving Beckham "a taste" I believe shaves a year off his arbitration eligible clock.

jabrch
07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Agreed. Plus giving Beckham "a taste" I believe shaves a year off his arbitration eligible clock.

Not if he only gets a taste...But if they give him the enitre pie, that's a different story. It is about service time.

soxfandy
07-08-2008, 02:38 PM
This move makes me question alot of things. Now we have 5 OF's (TCQ, Swish, JD, Wise and BA). I'm just curious if we might platoon Paulie and Thome at DH like we do BA and Wise in CF. It just seems funny to have both BA and Wise on the roster when our lineup almost will always have a starting outfield of TCQ, Swish, and JD.

I will really like this move if they would platoon Thome and Paulie until a different move is made, eventhough I know they won't. Our lineup would look pretty good offensively and defensively:

Vs LHP: Vs RHP:
C- AJ C- AJ
1B- Swisher 1B- Swisher
2B- Alexei 2B- Alexei
SS- OC SS- OC
3B- Crede 3B- Crede
LF- TCQ LF- TCQ
CF- BA CF- Wise
RF- JD RF- JD
DH- Paulie DH- Thome

Then Uribe would have to be our 2B, SS, and 3B off the bench, with Wise or BA as the 4th OF depending on whether a righty or lefty is on the mound.

Juice16
07-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Releasing Pablo means more playing time for Uribe.. I can't wait to get rid of the fat and lazy player....

KW should also release Uribe and make a trade for a backup middle Inf such as Marco Scutaro..

It amazes me how Uribe is described as fat. I wish I was that fat. :rolleyes:

kittle42
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I will really like this move if they would platoon Thome and Paulie until a different move is made, eventhough I know they won't.

They sure won't.

Richie Dick
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
The only reason I see keeping Juan over Pablo is if Alexei or Orlando were to go down for an extended period.

BRDSR
07-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Brian Roberts

But where would he play?!?!?!

Wait...I mean...where would he play? You could make an argument that he would be an upgrade over Ramirez, but it wouldn't be a big upgrade and it certainly wouldn't be worth the price. He gets on base and steals more than Ramirez, but Ramirez is better with the glove.

There is not going to be a big move made at the deadline because the players with the worst numbers are making the most money and can't really be benched or traded. We don't need to overpay for a bullpen arm, either. Maybe we'll see a move for a bench player to replace Uribe. Maybe he'll hit a home run in Game 3 of the World Series.

Jeckle2000
07-08-2008, 03:04 PM
What scares me is our lack of depth at the right side of the IF! I can't even remember the last time we only carried one guy who could play the right side of the IF... One game of bad luck and we could be seeing Dye in the IF again...

The Immigrant
07-08-2008, 03:11 PM
What scares me is our lack of depth at the right side of the IF! I can't even remember the last time we only carried one guy who could play the right side of the IF... One game of bad luck and we could be seeing Dye in the IF again...

I'm not sure what you mean. Uribe and Swisher provide a more than decent backup to Ramirez and Konerko.

ArkanSox
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Well this was definitely the logical move, but I'll miss Pablo. Good Luck!!!

I'm guessing that KW will hold pat with Crede at third, and Ozzie will use Uribe as relief for Joe, OC, and Alexei. The D will stay solid, as Juan played third very well for us in his early days with the Sox.

Of course, KW has fooled me b4.

MsSoxVixen22
07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Um..I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but why not bring up Josh Fields to back up Crede? I'd rather have Uribe than Ozuna. Ozuna isn't a good 3rd baseman and he makes alot of errors. I for one will not miss Ozuna

PaleHoser
07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Ozuna can bunt and go from first to third on a base hit, something Uribe will never do.

I know that with both Santana and Sabathia out of the division (pinch me!) Pablo wouldn't get much playing time, but I'd still keep him over Uribe.

UofCSoxFan
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Um..I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but why not bring up Josh Fields to back up Crede? I'd rather have Uribe than Ozuna. Ozuna isn't a good 3rd baseman and he makes alot of errors. I for one will not miss Ozuna

Fields is currently coming off an injury. He's in Class A ball rehabbing before rejoining the AAA team. I think he certainly will be the backup later in the year once the rosters expand.

MsSoxVixen22
07-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Fields is currently coming off an injury. He's in Class A ball rehabbing before rejoining the AAA team. I think he certainly will be the backup later in the year once the rosters expand.

Thanks! I wasn't aware he was injured. I need to start paying attention to the Sox minor leagues. :redface:

jabrch
07-08-2008, 03:54 PM

Also right now we need Fields to get as many ABs as possible to get prepared for next year, not sit on the bench and get rusty watching Crede play every day.

cburns
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Obviously its time to get Geoff Blum back

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Looks like Juan is here for the duration.

oeo
07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
This move makes me question alot of things. Now we have 5 OF's (TCQ, Swish, JD, Wise and BA). I'm just curious if we might platoon Paulie and Thome at DH like we do BA and Wise in CF. It just seems funny to have both BA and Wise on the roster when our lineup almost will always have a starting outfield of TCQ, Swish, and JD.

Not to mention, Alexei can also play CF.

But, this is right before the All Star Break and the trading deadline, so it doesn't mean this is what the roster will look like long term.

JorgeFabregas
07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
It amazes me how Uribe is described as fat. I wish I was that fat. :rolleyes:
He's fat for a major league middle infielder.

TDog
07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
The only reason I see keeping Juan over Pablo is if Alexei or Orlando were to go down for an extended period.

Uribe is a better defensive thirdbaseman than Ozuna. Uribe can back up the entire infield. Ramirez can back up short and could probably play third (he could probably play anywhere, although Uribe, no doubt, is the emergency catcher.

I thought all along that Ozuna should be the odd man out. His hitting hasn't returned since his injury last season. The only thing he has over Uribe is speed. Now with Wise and/or Anderson on the bench, the Sox have some bench speed. Ramirez and Cabrera are providing speed in the lineup and Quentin and Swisher are not slow. Really, the Sox are in much better shape speed-wise than they were in last year or even 2006.

Uribe showed during interleague play that he is a capable pinch hitter. He has the ability to play gold-glove worthy defense at second and short and can fill in as a capable third baseman. Ozuna was on the team for his bat and his speed. He made a very nice play behind Buehrle in a game I saw at San Francisco, but he isn't dependable anywhere on the field.

That being said, I will miss Pablo Ozuna.

DickAllen72
07-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Uribe is a better defensive thirdbaseman than Ozuna. Uribe can back up the entire infield. Ramirez can back up short and could probably play third (he could probably play anywhere, although Uribe, no doubt, is the emergency catcher.

I thought all along that Ozuna should be the odd man out. His hitting hasn't returned since his injury last season. The only thing he has over Uribe is speed. Now with Wise and/or Anderson on the bench, the Sox have some bench speed. Ramirez and Cabrera are providing speed in the lineup and Quentin and Swisher are not slow. Really, the Sox are in much better shape speed-wise than they were in last year or even 2006.

Uribe showed during interleague play that he is a capable pinch hitter. He has the ability to play gold-glove worthy defense at second and short and can fill in as a capable third baseman. Ozuna was on the team for his bat and his speed. He made a very nice play behind Buehrle in a game I saw at San Francisco, but he isn't dependable anywhere on the field.

That being said, I will miss Pablo Ozuna.

I agree on all counts.

oeo
07-08-2008, 04:26 PM

I wish people would stop raving about Uribe's defense at 3B until we actually see him play there. It's been four years since he's played there, and since then he's inflated quite a bit. He's not the same defensively at SS...I can't imagine he's spectacular at a position he hasn't played at in four years.

I know Pablo wasn't great at 3B (although I do think that's his best position), but the only thing I see Uribe bringing us that Ozuna didn't is an arm. It's strong, but can be erratic at times.

JB98
07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm sad to see Ozuna go, because he has been a positive contributor throughout his tenure with the Sox. But I certainly understand why the move was made. The injury Pablo suffered last season robbed him of some of his speed, thus making him a little less effective offensively. And he has to be a good offensive player, because he's a liability wherever you put him on defense.

Like others have mentioned, Uribe's defense won out over Ozuna's offense in this case. Juan still can't hit a lick, but you can trust that he can play every position on the infield competently. When Ozuna is out there, you pray the ball doesn't get him to him.

JUribe1989
07-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure why Ozuna is the guy to go when he's hitting .281

All Konerko did was hit .215, and Uribe is only hitting .206.

It's just going to be depressing to watch things go downhill for Swisher (he made all this progress playing first base now they're pushing him back to unnatural CF), BA (most likely will barely play now), Wise (I would argue that the way things were going, our offense is far superior with Swisher at 1st and Wise in CF against righties than when Konerko plays), and our lineup. We're back to our station to station double play baseball. The only real value of having Thome and Konerko in the lineup is if they hit like they did in 2006.

TomBradley72
07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm surprised at the posts saying Ozuna couldn't hit anymore...he's hitting .281, but his defense (which was always borderline) has regressed, and I hadn't really noticed...but he had ZERO stolen bases this year compared to Wise with 4 in 18 games. As far as Uribe goes....I think he's a "high leverage" guy to have on the roster (like Swisher), he's great insurance against an injury to Crede/Cabrera/Ramirez,with the ability to really produce if he goes on a hot streak.

If Crede went on the DL and Fields wasn't healthy/ready...I'd rather have Uribe out there every night for 15 days than Ozuna. We don't really have the trade bait in the organization to replace Crede if Fields isn't an option at the time.

TDog
07-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I wish people would stop raving about Uribe's defense at 3B until we actually see him play there. It's been four years since he's played there, and since then he's inflated quite a bit. He's not the same defensively at SS...I can't imagine he's spectacular at a position he hasn't played at in four years.

I know Pablo wasn't great at 3B (although I do think that's his best position), but the only thing I see Uribe bringing us that Ozuna didn't is an arm. It's strong, but can be erratic at times.

I wasn't raving about Uribe's defense at third. Everything is relative. It wouldn't surprise me if Brian Anderson and Nick Swisher could play a better third than Ozuna. In fact, I would expect Jermaine Dye could play a better third than Ozuna.

Lip Man 1
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Ozuna brings speed, the ability to at least attempt to play multiple positions and a batting average certainly respectable.

Uribe's plate approach is "swing hard and hope like hell to hit something..." exactly what the Sox DON'T need.

I assume he was kept for his defense because it sure wasn't his ability to hit or run.

I'm puzzled by this move.

Lip

TomBradley72
07-08-2008, 05:05 PM

I'd take Uribe any day over Ozuna at 3rd base. Especially under the scenario where Crede's back has flared up and we need a replacement for 2-3 weeks or longer. Even if Uribe has lost a little range, that's not going to have a big impact at 3rd base where range isn't as much of a factor. From a range/mobility standpoint, if you can handle 2nd base (which he has), then you can handle 3rd. With a plus arm and some HR pop, he's a much better option than Ozuna.

jabrch
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Ozuna brings speed, the ability to at least attempt to play multiple positions and a batting average certainly respectable.

Uribe's plate approach is "swing hard and hope like hell to hit something..." exactly what the Sox DON'T need.

I assume he was kept for his defense because it sure wasn't his ability to hit or run.

Lip

If you look at it Lip, if either is forced to play every day, we aren't in a good spot. So the question is which is a good fit for a bench. To me, the answer is the guy who plays better D at SS and 3B where we have no strong option if Joe or OC go down. Having to put Pablo in those spots would be just awful over the long haul. His D would cost us a ton at 3B and he can't play SS at all. Having to put Uribe there would be bad for our offense, but we'd still be able to win games.

There's also a better chance Pablo clears waivers and accepts an assignment to AAA. Uribe would not clear waivers and we'd lose him to the Dodgers or someone else for nothing.

TomBradley72
07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure why Ozuna is the guy to go when he's hitting .281

All Konerko did was hit .215, and Uribe is only hitting .206.

It's just going to be depressing to watch things go downhill for Swisher (he made all this progress playing first base now they're pushing him back to unnatural CF), BA (most likely will barely play now), Wise (I would argue that the way things were going, our offense is far superior with Swisher at 1st and Wise in CF against righties than when Konerko plays), and our lineup. We're back to our station to station double play baseball. The only real value of having Thome and Konerko in the lineup is if they hit like they did in 2006.

I think we're going to see more Wise/Anderson in CF than you might think. I think Ozzie will rest Thome/Dye/Quentin a little more frequently to keep them fresh...combined with resting Swish on occasion to should open up CF a little. I think he'll also have a shorter leash on Thome..if he starts to slump again, he'll start to lose playing time.

TomBradley72
07-08-2008, 05:12 PM

Lip

Lip...ZERO stolen bases this year in 32 games...if Ozuna can't bring that ability to the table...he needs to be the one to go.

Frontman
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Didn't Thome log a few innings at 3rd? He must be the backup plan now.....

This is a move the confuses me, but I have a feeling KW is not done with the transactions yet. Pablo hasn't been able to steal anything this season when in the game, and is slower than he was in 2006. I'll always be thankful for him during the 05 season; but I have a feeling there is more to this story.

cards press box
07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
If the Sox ultimately deal Uribe to the LA Dodgers or some other team (and with Ozuna gone), I expect that the Sox will pick up a veteran infielder who can play 3B, SS and 2B. Would it surprise anyone if this middle infielder turned out to be Geoff Blum?

Brian26
07-08-2008, 06:19 PM
If the Sox ultimately deal Uribe to the LA Dodgers or some other team (and with Ozuna gone), I expect that the Sox will pick up a veteran infielder who can play 3B, SS and 2B. Would it surprise anyone if this middle infielder turned out to be Geoff Blum?

I'd guess Uribe is going to stay for the duration of the season now.

southside rocks
07-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I'd guess Uribe is going to stay for the duration of the season now.

Yes, this would seem to make Juan less expendable.

sprtfrk
07-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Maybe I am missing something here but if the WSox were sure that they were retroactively putting Booby Jenks on the DL, then why didn't they do this when taking Paulie off of it and therefore not have to release Pablo. They would have been one pitcher short for four or five games, and if someone else got injured in the interim, then they could have DL'ed that player to take Jenks off of the list. Jenks had already missed about a week and now we have four days off. In my opinion, it would not have been that risky. Pablo's speed would have been a nice asset to have on the "concrete" field in Texas.

07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Maybe I am missing something here but if the WSox were sure that they were retroactively putting Booby Jenks on the DL, then why didn't they do this when taking Paulie off of it and therefore not have to release Pablo. They would have been one pitcher short for four or five games, and if someone else got injured in the interim, then they could have DL'ed that player to take Jenks off of the list. Jenks had already missed about a week and now we have four days off. In my opinion, it would not have been that risky. Pablo's speed would have been a nice asset to have on the "concrete" field in Texas.

They wanted 12 pitchers on the roster for the Texas series as Linebrink was basically unavailable. Turns out they needed all they had.

They decided to turn the page with Pablo and either get him into another organization where he could play more, or barring that, try to get him to accept an outright assignment to Charlotte and bring him back in Sept.

btrain929
07-14-2008, 11:01 AM
How many more days until we figure out what happens with him?

07-14-2008, 11:21 AM

They DFA'd him on the 8th so by this weekend we'll hear something.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-14-2008, 03:58 PM
They wanted 12 pitchers on the roster for the Texas series as Linebrink was basically unavailable. Turns out they needed all they had.

They decided to turn the page with Pablo and either get him into another organization where he could play more, or barring that, try to get him to accept an outright assignment to Charlotte and bring him back in Sept.

What's going on with Linebrink that he could not pitch in Texas?

Rockabilly
07-14-2008, 04:00 PM

Im just curious why you have JC as a B- so far this year

ondafarm
07-14-2008, 04:02 PM

It would surprise me, but only because I thought San Diego had him and wouldn't part with him but for something in a trade. I figure there are guys to be picked up for free (or nearly) elsewhere. Not as good but free.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm hearing some talk the Cubs might be interested in Ozuna as a "remedy" against Sabathia. (Due to his lifetime average.)

The Cubs have plenty of utility type players so I think it's a real long shot, but you never know.

Would the Cubs part with one of the starters off the back end for him?

Lip

anewman35
07-14-2008, 04:10 PM

That depends. Are the Cubs stupid?

07-14-2008, 04:13 PM
What's going on with Linebrink that he could not pitch in Texas?

He could have in an emergency but they wanted to give him a several day breather. He got knocked around a few times recently and they want him fresh. Probably just a normal dead arm period, it happens.

07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm hearing some talk the Cubs might be interested in Ozuna as a "remedy" against Sabathia. (Due to his lifetime average.)

The Cubs have plenty of utility type players so I think it's a real long shot, but you never know.

Lip

That's where I expect Ozuna to land, with a prospect coming back.

FedEx227
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM

Yes, they still are. They just cover up their stupid mistakes by signing players with a blank check that a new owner has to deal with.

Frontman
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM

Depends. Did Lou push to put Carlos Marmol into the AS Game?

russ99
07-16-2008, 09:21 AM
It would surprise me, but only because I thought San Diego had him and wouldn't part with him but for something in a trade. I figure there are guys to be picked up for free (or nearly) elsewhere. Not as good but free.

Blum signed with the Astros this offseason (oh, the irony) and despite a relatively injury-plagued infield, he's not gotten that much playing time.

ondafarm
07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Blum signed with the Astros this offseason (oh, the irony) and despite a relatively injury-plagued infield, he's not gotten that much playing time.

Astros-Padres, the point is still valid, the Sox would have to give up something for him. There are guys that can be acquired when DFA'd for a couple of grand, not a player from your organization.

Tragg
07-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Astros-Padres, the point is still valid, the Sox would have to give up something for him. There are guys that can be acquired when DFA'd for a couple of grand, not a player from your organization.
What did we get for Mack?
That's what we'd have to give up, if we wanted him (why we would, I don't know).

skottyj242
07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Depends. Did Lou push to put Carlos Marmol into the AS Game?

Marmol was next on the list to go based on player votes.

UofCSoxFan
07-16-2008, 10:02 AM
That's what we'd have to give up, if we wanted him (why we would, I don't know).

Geoff Blum had one of the biggest hits in White Sox history, 2 years ago. In his time here besides that, he did precious little. He has done little since then. I will pass. Although I will forever thank him for letting me sleep two hours before I had to wake up and write a midterm paper after that marathon game.

sox1970
07-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Ozuna is officially a free agent.

DumpJerry
07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Ozuna is officially a free agent.
Not yet. 10 days has not passed.

sox1970
07-16-2008, 12:09 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

Law11
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Adios Pablo.. Thanks for the effort...

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Bye bye Pablo.

hawkjt
07-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the memories,Pablo.

Good luck and godspeed.

Shoeless_Jim
07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Can he still sign with the White Sox and then they can put him in Charlotte?

kittle42
07-16-2008, 09:17 PM

???

JB98
07-16-2008, 09:26 PM

If Ozuna wanted to play in Charlotte, he could have just accepted the assignment.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-16-2008, 10:48 PM

The Sox got Jon Link, who has 26 saves, is 5-1, with 37.1 innings pitched, 36Ks, and 29 hits, with an ERA of 1.69, with no HRs allowed. He's the closer at Birmingham.

When the Sox got him, he was playing for San Diego's Advanced A team, Lake Elsinore. He finished 2007 at Winston-Salem after the Sox got him.

RCWHITESOX
07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Ozuna has lost a step and isn't anywhere near as good a fielder as Uribe. I'd rather have Wise than Ozuna, but I think I'd rather have Ozuna than Uribe.

I would rather have you than watching Uribe flaying away at the plate at everything thrown in his direction. And speaking of plates; he ought to push himself from the table once in awhile.

WhiteSox5187
07-17-2008, 02:55 PM
I would rather have you than watching Uribe flaying away at the plate at everything thrown in his direction. And speaking of plates; he ought to push himself from the table once in awhile.
Talk to Kenny then and let's make this happen!!! Opening price for negotiation is $3 million.