PDA

View Full Version : Last 32 - Next 22

havelj
07-07-2008, 02:42 PM
The Sox went 21-11 in the set of 32 games that had them in Chicago for 26 days - great job and now 14 games over .500.

They now have a stretch of 22 games with 16 on the road and 6 at home:
Road: KC (6), MIN (4), DET (3), TEX (3)
Home: KC (3), TEX (3)

Predition on record? I say 12-10.

Minnesota plays the Sox, Boston, Yankees, Detroit, Cleveland and Texas during that time (10 at home-13 on road-including 13 of the next 16 on the road.)

Prediction on record? I say 9-14.

So on August 4th, the Sox will be 4.5 up on the Twins.

skottyj242
07-07-2008, 02:44 PM
:happybday

LITTLE NELL
07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Considering our road record, 12-10 would be fine. This could be a critical stretch in our schedule.

Konerko05
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Someone tell the Sox so they don't have to waste all that time traveling.

kingpin_rcs
07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
The 4 game set in MIN could be very important. Hopefully, the Sox will have at least a 4 game lead going into that series. The Sox have not played well inside this year and that "field" is always an adventure.

WhiteSox5187
07-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Those road games against KC and TEX are very winnable, but I'm really worried about our trip up to Minnesota (I still have nightmares about our last trip up there) and against DET. 12-10 would be great though. I wouldn't even worry to much about what Minnesota's schedule is like, we should just be worried about winning as many games as possible.

doublem23
07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Considering our road record, 12-10 would be fine. This could be a critical stretch in our schedule.

Yep. That last week in July, 3 in Detroit and 4 in Minnesota, is huge, especially since we don't see the Twins again at the Cell this year and we only have 1 more series with them all year (Sept. 23-25 in Minnesota).

I wouldn't even worry to much about what Minnesota's schedule is like, we should just be worried about winning as many games as possible.

When you only have a 1 game lead, you really don't have the luxury of not caring about #2. The Sox could play terrific ball and still get passed.

ondafarm
07-07-2008, 04:49 PM
The Sox went 21-11 in the set of 32 games that had them in Chicago for 26 days - great job and now 14 games over .500.

They now have a stretch of 22 games with 16 on the road and 6 at home:
Road: KC (6), MIN (4), DET (3), TEX (3)
Home: KC (3), TEX (3)

Predition on record? I say 12-10.

Minnesota plays the Sox, Boston, Yankees, Detroit, Cleveland and Texas during that time (10 at home-13 on road-including 13 of the next 16 on the road.)

Prediction on record? I say 9-14.

With nine of those games against KC, I'll say we go 7-2 against them. Lets say 4-2 against Tex. That means we have 4 in Min and 3 in Det and you'd expect us to go 1-6 against them.

I'll hope for 3-4 and say that we go 14-8. I think those numbers are very reachable.

I also wouldn't be shocked in Minny falls a game or two worse than your prediction and goes 8-15.

My bottom line is this. If the Sox can split the four game series in Minny and play respectably the rest of the series (winning most series) then the Sox can build a big lead. The Twins have 13 games more on the road as of today than they do at home. That doesn't bode well for their chances.

WhiteSox5187
07-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Yep. That last week in July, 3 in Detroit and 4 in Minnesota, is huge, especially since we don't see the Twins again at the Cell this year and we only have 1 more series with them all year (Sept. 23-25 in Minnesota).

When you only have a 1 game lead, you really don't have the luxury of not caring about #2. The Sox could play terrific ball and still get passed.
I'm aware of that, but I think that the Twins are playing over their head, if the Sox just keep winning everything else should take care of itself.

ondafarm
07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
The White Sox only have two games played thusfar at the MetroDome. They lost both late in April. At that time they had Swisher leading off and Uribe playing second. I don't like either of those. With either Wise or Anderson in center and Alexei at second, the Sox have significantly more speed than they had playing in April. The question to me is, who sits among Swisher, Dye, Thome and Konerko (and maybe Quentin.) That can change between games as well. Astroturf is tough on the knees of older players especially.

doublem23
07-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm aware of that, but I think that the Twins are playing over their head, if the Sox just keep winning everything else should take care of itself.

The Twins have "been playing over their heads" for the better part of a decade now; I don't know why this team will be the one that suddenly collapses before the play-offs.

Lip Man 1
07-07-2008, 05:34 PM
If the Twins can continue at the pace they are playing for the rest of the year they'll win 95 to 100 games and there won't be a hell of a lot the Sox can do about it.

That's still a pretty long shot though considering they have already played 50 home games and the second half is going to seem like one endless road trip for Minnesota.

We'll see.

Lip

gobears1987
07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Take Minnesota out of the dome and they are human. Their 2nd half will be a rough one.

Chicken Dinner
07-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Take Minnesota out of the dome and they are human. Their 2nd half will be a rough one.

Boston tonight at Fenway! The pitching can't continue hopefully.

hawkjt
07-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I have become a believer in the Twins ability to hang in there ...like tonite vs Boston...1-0 red sox but it was a very tight game with Baker pitching his ass off for the twins. With the speed and good pitching and M &M , the twins are not going away. They lead MLB in hitting with RISP at .318 ..second place is the cubs at .285... now, maybe that will recede for the twins or else they are the most clutch team in MLB by a mile. They worry me.

Chez
07-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Take Minnesota out of the dome and they are human. .

Take the White Sox out of the Cell and . . . The Twins aren't going to collapse. We will have to earn this division if we are to win it.

UofCSoxFan
07-08-2008, 10:37 AM
The thing is, our September schedule is nearly as brutal as Minnesota's right now. I would like at least a 5 game lead on Aug 31, and even then it is far from a lock.

Agreed this stretch is huge. Odd stuff has happened in KC the last few years...hopefully we don't overlook these next tw2o series.

ondafarm
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Update: Obviously the Sox have won the first two of their series with KC. Meanwhile, Minny got swept by the Red Sox. The Sox need to finish sweeping the Royals and then do well in the Texas series. After the All-Star break, the Sox host KC. Currently, the biggest difficulties on the Sox remaining schedule are: last week of July in the Metrodome and at Comerica,
mid August at McAfee and the last week of August at Fenway. There are home series against Tampa, Boston, Detroit and Toronto as well.

The White Sox destiny is clearly in their own hands. They currently have 36 road games and 36 home games to go (counting the continuation game in Baltimore as a home game that is.)

oeo
07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Take the White Sox out of the Cell and . . . The Twins aren't going to collapse. We will have to earn this division if we are to win it.

The Twins are not going to collapse because they're just not that good. They beat up on some NL teams...that's how they've gotten to where they are.

Shoeless_Jim
07-10-2008, 11:01 AM

August 4th thats my birthday...4.5 would be a good gift.

Save McCuddy's
07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
The White Sox only have two games played thusfar at the MetroDome. They lost both late in April. At that time they had Swisher leading off and Uribe playing second. I don't like either of those. With either Wise or Anderson in center and Alexei at second, the Sox have significantly more speed than they had playing in April. The question to me is, who sits among Swisher, Dye, Thome and Konerko (and maybe Quentin.) That can change between games as well. Astroturf is tough on the knees of older players especially.

I like Thome indoors. The shift is a tougher proposition on that fast surface. Might be a good series to rest Pauilie once or twice.

lonestar101285
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
If Minnesota does struggle like some of us predict, then we may not be worrying about the Twins down the stretch, but the Detroit Tigers (boy it would have been great to cut the head off that snake when we had the chance last month).

Their upcoming schedule has them on the road for the next month (17 of their next 24) but the chances of the Tigers gaining significant ground is there because they play the Twins and White Sox 10 times: 4 Min, 4 @Bal, @KC, CWS, 4 @Cle, @TB, @CWS

I would not be surprised to see Detroit in second place by the time we play them at the end of the month.

ondafarm
07-10-2008, 03:02 PM
If Minnesota does struggle like some of us predict, then we may not be worrying about the Twins down the stretch, but the Detroit Tigers (boy it would have been great to cut the head off that snake when we had the chance last month).

Their upcoming schedule has them on the road for the next month (17 of their next 24) but the chances of the Tigers gaining significant ground is there because they play the Twins and White Sox 10 times: 4 Min, 4 @Bal, @KC, CWS, 4 @Cle, @TB, @CWS

I would not be surprised to see Detroit in second place by the time we play them at the end of the month.

They definately are making a run, but I believe the Sox have more than enough to hold them off. The Tigers have their own problems and IMHO are a team waiting to implode.