PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News: Critiquing the 2008 MLB All-Star rosters

Mickster
07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Interesting article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=critiquingthemlballstarr&prov=tsn&type=lgns).

beasly213
07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
It is a good article but the more I think about the All Star Game selection of players it does make a little more sense.

The managers have to be or at least should be picking their players based on who will give them the best chance to win. Granted the Sox have some great pitchers who should have made it (Floyd Danks Thorton IMO) but none of those guys have real pressure experience.

Since the big names will all be there in the beginning of the game Terry Francon needs guys he knows will be able to deliver in the late innings. I mean there is a good chance his team will be in the World Series and he wants that home field advantage.

The Crede selection makes more sense now as Crede has a reputation for coming up with a big hit or bid defensive play in the late innings.

bigdommer
07-07-2008, 03:15 PM
After reading interviews with All Star managers of years past, I am not sure they consider strategy and who is clutch. Their first priority is making sure every team has a representative. The second priority is to fill in any obvious omissions by the players and fans. Third, managers try to make sure that a team's record and it's representation is equitable. Finally, the manager has to juggle veterans, hometown players, and his own players. After all of that, I am not sure that he has the ability to consider much else.

Also, Francona didn't select Crede, the players did.

oeo
07-07-2008, 07:51 PM
The managers have to be or at least should be picking their players based on who will give them the best chance to win. Granted the Sox have some great pitchers who should have made it (Floyd Danks Thorton IMO) but none of those guys have real pressure experience.

Since the big names will all be there in the beginning of the game Terry Francon needs guys he knows will be able to deliver in the late innings. I mean there is a good chance his team will be in the World Series and he wants that home field advantage.

The Crede selection makes more sense now as Crede has a reputation for coming up with a big hit or bid defensive play in the late innings.

If this is the reasoning, then that's just stupid.

I'm starting to think they should a)Cut the mandatory rule for at least one player on each team and b)Limit the number of players from each team. There are way too many snubs when you have to pick the tallest midget from the Royals, and you have half the roster with Red Sox and Yankees.

TomBradley72
07-07-2008, 09:09 PM
If this is the reasoning, then that's just stupid.

I'm starting to think they should a)Cut the mandatory rule for at least one player on each team and b)Limit the number of players from each team. There are way too many snubs when you have to pick the tallest midget from the Royals, and you have half the roster with Red Sox and Yankees.

They'll never do it...but I wish they'd punt fans voting. It gives an unfair advantage to the Yankees, Red Sox, etc...huge metropolitan areas dominate.

PaleHoser
07-08-2008, 12:57 AM
I wonder how many votes the Boston and Texas players put in for the Sox (and vice versa) considering they haven't played each other yet.

scarsofthumper
07-08-2008, 02:01 AM
What I really wanna know is....

Jason Varitek. If nobody hasn't done it before, will he be the first person to play in a MLB ASG hitting below the Mendoza line?

pierzynski07
07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
They'll never do it...but I wish they'd punt fans voting. It gives an unfair advantage to the Yankees, Red Sox, etc...huge metropolitan areas dominate.
Then what the hell do we live in then?