PDA

View Full Version : I'm Really Starting To Like Steve Phillips On BBTN.

Thome25
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Steve Phillips has really started to go to bat for the White Sox on BBTN?

On several occasions he as said that the White Sox will win the AL Central. This is after guys like Fernando Vina and Kruk pick against them and go with the Tigers and Twins.

Also, on yesterday's show Phillips went to bat for Carlos Quentin saying that he should be the AL All-Star starter in RF over Ichiro.

I'm starting to like watching him and Singleton because they make it seem like the White Sox have a legit presence on BBTN.

What do you think?

infohawk
07-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I've always liked Steve Phillips. He seems like a very likable, easy-going kind of guy.

PatK
07-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I think he's gotten better this year, not just because of what he's saying about the Sox, but he seems like he lost some of that "I'm an ex-major league GM and know more than you" attitude he had.

gf2020
07-07-2008, 01:00 PM
What I like about him is that is he willing to change his mind based on what is actually happening and admit when he is wrong. Fernando Vina is still pushing the Tigers because they were his pick in March.

chisoxmike
07-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I thought it was funny last night when Kruk said "No wonder why you got fired from the Mets."

ComiskeyBrewer
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought it was funny last night when Kruk said "No wonder why you got fired from the Mets."

I almost had beer coming out my nose when i heard that.

Eddo144
07-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Steve Phillips has really started to go to bat for the White Sox on BBTN?

On several occasions he as said that the White Sox will win the AL Central. This is after guys like Fernando Vina and Kruk pick against them and go with the Tigers and Twins.

Also, on yesterday's show Phillips went to bat for Carlos Quentin saying that he should be the AL All-Star starter in RF over Ichiro.

I'm starting to like watching him and Singleton because they make it seem like the White Sox have a legit presence on BBTN.

What do you think?
Steve Phillips is far from being the worst analyst on ESPN, but he's not particularly good, either. I can see (like Mr. Kruk) why the Mets dumped him.

And overall, you shouldn't like or dislike an analyst because the pick or don't pick the Sox to win. Good analysts should pick who they objectively determine has the best chance. If that turns out to be the Sox, great. If it doesn't, then that should indicate that the Sox have less of a chance than the team they did pick.

Any analyst who picks the Sox simply to give them a legit presence is as bad as someone who picks against the Sox simply because he had a bad experience in their clubhouse a decade ago. There's no room for favoritism is good journalism and analysis.

soxfanreggie
07-07-2008, 03:22 PM
It's funny when Mike and Mike refer to him as their GM. I can understand if he retired, like Bobby Knight being referred to as "their coach", but the guy got canned for a reason.

johnnyg83
07-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm not a fan of BBTN but I like him. And it's not b/c he's come out for the Sox lately.

I'm with GF, he'll change course when it's apparent something he's said is wrong. And he also seems much more prepared ... I get a "wing it" vibe from Vina and Kruk.

Chicken Dinner
07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
He's a ESPN "yes man" like they all are. **** him. GM for the Mets to a so called expert? He was fired for a reason!