PDA

View Full Version : Uribe to Dodgers?

PatK
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Dodgers are looking for a shortstop with Furcal out.

Anybody think there is a possibility he could be headed to LA?

munchman33
07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Are the Dodgers looking for a shortstop? Yes.

But they're also looking for someone who's good at baseball.

PatK
07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Are the Dodgers looking for a shortstop? Yes.

But they're also looking for someone who's good at baseball.

Uribe is damn good with the glove, and I think would be a better hitter in the fastball happy NL.

I'm not saying he could end up going there for someone like Kemp straight up, but the Dodgers are seriously hurting at short.

And when Konerko gets better, we're going to need a roster spot.

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Uribe is damn good with the glove, and I think would be a better hitter in the fastball happy NL.

I'm not saying he could end up going there for someone like Kemp straight up, but the Dodgers are seriously hurting at short.

And when Konerko gets better, we're going to need a roster spot.

Uribe is a good bench player, and that's it. He hits for about six weeks in a season, and that's it. People seriously overvalue this guy here. If we get a guy from the Echo Park softball team, I'm down.

Rockabilly
07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
The Sox were offer Loaiza for Uribe a few months ago.. We aren't going to gt any value for Uribe ... well maybe a bucket of balls

Thome25
07-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I started the "KW Should Be On The Phone With The Dodgers" Thread a while ago:

Link:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101106

The Immigrant
07-07-2008, 12:37 PM
We'll DFA Ozuna before giving away Uribe for nothing.

munchman33
07-07-2008, 01:19 PM

False.

D. TODD
07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Well they did pick up no hit good glove Angel Berrora. What has happened with the Orioles luck warm interest with Uribe. He will be moved and we will get very little in return, so be it.

soxfanreggie
07-07-2008, 03:20 PM
If a team is willing to pay Uribe what is left on the contract and give us a low-ceiling single A prospect...or a couple buckets of balls and bats, I would say to take it. With a guy like Pablo and the ability to bring up Richar later for another 2B back-up/PR, Juan is more expendable. Pablo is a guy you can put as a temporary sub at probably any position but catcher or pitcher and could be a LT sub at several positions. Plus, we can take the couple million in savings and apply it to making ourselves better in another area or apply it to next year's team.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Uribe for Pierre, straight up. :D:

PatK
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Some of you read too much into it.

I wasn't asking if what we think we could get for him, just if you think there's a possibility of it happening.

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Uribe for Pierre, straight up. :D:

Coletti would fly to Chicago with Pierre just to make sure he arrived safely. :D:

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 03:59 PM

I wasn't asking if what we think we could get for him, just if you think there's a possibility of it happening.

Maybe. The Dodgers haven't made a lot of great moves recently. I'd just be surprised, because it would've happened already.

07-07-2008, 04:04 PM

There's definitely a possibility of it happening, and a strong possibility in my estimation.

Several variables are at play here ...

1. The Jenks situation could delay a roster move, that is if Ozzie is comfortable carrying 11 pitchers if Bobby is DL'd. Ozzie has been very consistent in wanting 12 so if Jenks is DL'd that means a pitcher comes up to keep it at 12. Konerko comes back tomorrow so one would assume a roster move by then.

2. LA Dodgers have definite interest. They claimed him off waivers earlier and the Sox pulled him back. Coletti wanted to swap Loaiza for Uribe but KW held out for Loaiza's release.

3. Dodgers are 1/2 game out in the weak NL West, Furcal just had back surgery, and Berroa is doing very little. The Dodgers desperately need power too. Uribe would give them some punch. It all fits on that level.

4. Williams likes to do right by his players. Uribe is in his walk year, KW wants to be good to him and get him regular playing time. It looks like it won't happen here. Uribe, despite his faults, has contributed a lot to the White Sox. KW loves him, Ozzie loves him, the coaches and players love him too. Not to mention Uribe hasn't complained one bit about his current situation, he's been a real pro about it.

5. It's entirely possible Coletti is waiting out KW just like KW did with the Loaiza situation. Coletti has a 40 man roster crunch, they're at 40 and would have to trade, waive, or DFA someone if they brought Uribe in. Berroa is an obvious candidate but even still they have to make room.

6. Torre knows what Uribe can do and Uribe has been through the pressure of pennant races.

My guess is Uribe ends up in LA. In return, my hunch is a guy who's currently pitching for Las Vegas (Dodgers AAA team) on their 40 man comes to the Sox ... someone the Sox like. It's interesting to note that Falkenborg got into a game while the Sox were in LA.

Chez
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I know I'm in the minority on this, but unless the Sox completely tank in the next 2 weeks, I don't see Uribe going anywhere. The Sox are in a "win now" mode, and trading Juan won't bring anything in return that would help advance that goal. He's a nice, albeit expensive, insurance policy at two key positions.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Coletti would fly to Chicago with Pierre just to make sure he arrived safely. :D:

Given that:

1. The Sox will have a lot of power on the team next year at 3B (Fields or Crede), 1B (Paulie), LF (Quentin), RF (Dye), CF (Swisher) and have a pretty good hitter at C (AJ) and SS (Alexei);

2. Thome is likely to be gone;

3. Cabrera is likely to be gone and so the Sox will be without a leadoff hitter;

The Sox might be able to use Pierre at DH (and back up in LF) specifically to lead off in 2009.

For 2008, he could be used off the bench and as a pinch runner.

ondafarm
07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Given that:

1. The Sox will have a lot of power on the team next year at 3B (Fields or Crede), 1B (Paulie), LF (Quentin), RF (Dye), CF (Swisher) and have a pretty good hitter at C (AJ) and SS (Alexei);

3. Cabrera is likely to be gone and so the Sox will be without a leadoff hitter;

The Sox might be able to use Pierre at DH (and back up in LF) specifically to lead off in 2009.

I'd be shocked if Swisher doesn't play first and PK DHs most of the time next year.

Rockabilly
07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
next year lineup will include Orlando Hudson at 2B, Alexei moving to SS

Konerko will be the DH and Swisher at First...

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Given that:

Sure, but it ain't happening. Sox brass has never taken that kind of money for someone's junk.

jabrch
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
If we can better the club, I'd move Juan. But not having a legitimate backup SS/3B other than Pablo is a very risky proposition.

The Immigrant
07-07-2008, 05:04 PM

I just realized you're being serious with this proposal. $10 million/year for a DH/left fielder hitting .277/.327/.318?

Tragg
07-07-2008, 09:41 PM

I think the White Sox would be optioned to AAA if we had Juan PIerre as our everyday DH.
all things being equal, Swisher's power is below par for a 1B.

I have to agree with Frater .... hope Konerko has a great 2nd half and move him for a leadoff hitter. Or sell high on Dye.

broker3d
07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Dodgers are currently focusing their efforts on Jack Wilson.

mccoydp
07-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Ozuna is more useful off the bench than Juan, IMO.

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2008, 07:39 AM

Now that's a lineup I could support: Hudson, Ramirez, TCQ, Dye, Swisher, Paulie, AJ, Crede/Fields, BA

The Immigrant
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by The Immigrant http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1953742#post1953742)

False.

I'm not surprised to see your string of bad predictions continue.

getonbckthr
07-08-2008, 03:48 PM

What a mistake this will be. Hudson average player at best for 12-14 million per year.

munchman33
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by The Immigrant http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1953742#post1953742)

LOL...yeah. But just because I was wrong about what "did" happen doesn't mean I was wrong about what "should" happen.

Bucky F. Dent
07-08-2008, 04:27 PM

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

jabrch
07-08-2008, 05:05 PM

His ignorance continues only to be exceeded by his arrogance.

munchman33
07-08-2008, 05:23 PM
His ignorance continues only to be exceeded by his arrogance.

Oh yeah. My assertion that we drop Uribe instead of Ozuna, two guys that both probably don't belong on our roster, proves it. I AM ignorant.

Phew. Thanks for letting me know.

Hey, next time I have an opinion, can I PM you? Just to run it by you, that's all. I'd hate to make a fool of myself.

Rocky Soprano
07-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah. My assertion that we drop Uribe instead of Ozuna, two guys that both probably don't belong on our roster, proves it. I AM ignorant.

Phew. Thanks for letting me know.

Hey, next time I have an opinion, can I PM you? Just to run it by you, that's all. I'd hate to make a fool of myself.

Looks like you are wrong in two current threads. Should I be surprised? :gulp:

oeo
07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Looks like you are wrong in two current threads. Should I be surprised? :gulp:

Definitely. He's our all-knowing expert.

34 Inch Stick
07-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Now that's a lineup I could support: Hudson, Ramirez, TCQ, Dye, Swisher, Paulie, AJ, Crede/Fields, BA

I predict we will see Grudzielanik at 2B next year with Ramirez at SS