PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Beckham

soxfan123
07-07-2008, 01:48 AM
What is the status of him? Where do the Sox and Beckham go from here?

jcw218
07-07-2008, 02:04 AM
As far as I know, no agreement has been reached as of yet. The Sox have until Aug 15 to sign Mr. Beckham. If not signed by then the sox lose his rights. I do not know if he becomes a free agent at that time or returns to the draft in 2009. I think that the Sox would get a supplemental pick next year if they are not able to sign Beckham this year, but I may be wrong.

California Sox
07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
If the Sox do not sign Beckham, he goes back to school and the Sox get the 9th pick (actually designated 8A) of next year's draft. I don't think that's going to happen, though. All the higher picks are still out. O think everyone signs August 15th which is sad because it costs Beckham half a year of development.

jabrch
07-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm sure we will hear from both Beckham and Danks in the next month. Both will likely sign.

btrain929
07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm sure we will hear from both Beckham and Danks in the next month. Both will likely sign.

Is that just your opinion/hope? Or have you ready something somewhere that leads you to believe something will get done besides Jordan ditching Borass??

California Sox
07-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I think the fact that Jordan Danks took batting practice with the team means that there's a wink and a nod deal in place with him. I believe the Sox are just too scared of Uncle Bud to announce an overslot deal too far in advance of August 15th. Beckham would be silly not to sign, but he'd also be silly to sign before knowing what some of the guys around him like Posey and Smaok sign for.

Martinigirl
07-07-2008, 11:40 PM
I am clueless when it comes to the minor leagues, so excuse me if this is an stupid question, but where will Beckham start? Would his college experience move him past A ball? Would there be a chance he starts AA or even AAA?

jabrch
07-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Is that just your opinion/hope? Or have you ready something somewhere that leads you to believe something will get done besides Jordan ditching Borass??

Everything you read from him indicates he wants to be here. He's hanging out with John and the Sox, instead of his college teammates. He has had a relationship with the Sox for a while as we were interested in him straight out of HS also. The fact that he dumped Boras is also an indicator that he wants something done. His brother being here already, and being happy here, leads me to believe that, while not collusion, there was somewhat of a "plan" that Danks would tell teams he was likely going back to school, then the Sox would snap him up later (after taking studs like KWJR :cool:) and pay him a good bit above slot.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't work out this way.

sox1970
07-07-2008, 11:43 PM
I am clueless when it comes to the minor leagues, so excuse me if this is an stupid question, but where will Beckham start? Would his college experience move him past A ball? Would there be a chance he starts AA or even AAA?

Chances are he won't sign until August 15, since most of the top college juniors didn't sign until the last minute in 2007.

That gives him a couple weeks in the minors this year--probably high-A Winston-Salem. Next year, I think he's at Birmingham, but that's just speculation on my part.

jabrch
07-07-2008, 11:47 PM

It is highly unlikely he'd start in AA or AAA. He might start in Rookie League in Bristol or Great Falls if he gets in soon.. Since Morel already got moved up to Kannapolis (A) it isn't out of the question that he start in A ball. I'd guess he starts in Rookie league and they move up Escobar to A.

btrain929
07-08-2008, 09:09 AM
It is highly unlikely he'd start in AA or AAA. He might start in Rookie League in Bristol or Great Falls if he gets in soon.. Since Morel already got moved up to Kannapolis (A) it isn't out of the question that he start in A ball. I'd guess he starts in Rookie league and they move up Escobar to A.

Speculation on my part, but I don't think he starts anywhere lower than Kanny. It'll either be Kanny or W/S.

Britt Burns
07-08-2008, 11:42 AM

If he signs quickly I wouldn't be surprised if he went straight to Kanny with the expectation that he would finish the season in W/S. If not, I would think he'd go to GFalls and hopefully get a few extra games under his belt if the Voyagers make the playoffs.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
If last year is any indication, Poreda never went to Kanny. He played in Great Falls and then straight to Winston-Salem this year, and quickly to Birmingham.