PDA

View Full Version : Jenks May Be Out Until After All-Star Break

DickAllen72
07-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Per Whitesox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080706&content_id=3081305&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

jabrch
07-06-2008, 10:40 PM
This might make the decision easier when PK comes off the DL on Tuesday.

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Then let Dotel close and keep Linebrink for the 8th.

DickAllen72
07-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm not looking forward to the prospect of the Sox going on a road trip without their closer. :(:

tacosalbarojas
07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Then let Dotel close and keep Linebrink for the 8th.I agree to some extent, but it would take at least three blown saves by Line for this or any change to occur.

jabrch
07-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm not looking forward to the prospect of the Sox going on a road trip without their closer. :(:

While I agree - this might be the best trip for it.

Texas and KC...We should do no worse than 3-3, and should do better, even without Bobby.

DickAllen72
07-06-2008, 10:47 PM
While I agree - this might be the best trip for it.

Texas and KC...We should do no worse than 3-3, and should do better, even without Bobby.
Let's hope Konerko comes back mashing and they don't even need a closer.

SoxSpeed22
07-06-2008, 10:54 PM
No big deal. No reason to take chances with his health before the break.
I also agree with Dotel closing, but hopefully the Sox can blow out the Royals and Rangers.

Jeckle2000
07-06-2008, 11:01 PM
To me it seems like it would be a no brainer.

Dotel has closer experience.

Linebrink doesn't...

Am I missing something?

zach074
07-06-2008, 11:05 PM
maybe we should try logan closing?

Ron Karkovice
07-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Linebrink doesn't...

Am I missing something?

I would be more comfortable with Dotel closing

Tragg
07-06-2008, 11:19 PM

Linebrink doesn't...

Am I missing something?
LInebrink's the better pitcher.

JB98
07-06-2008, 11:27 PM
LInebrink's the better pitcher.

Agreed. Linebrink and Thornton have been the two best relief pitchers for the Sox this season.

FedEx227
07-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Agreed. Linebrink and Thornton have been the two best relief pitchers for the Sox this season.

It's a tough choice. Honestly, I go with whomever has been the best this season. I understand Dotel has closer experience, but I feel we're better suited having your best guy out there.

QCIASOXFAN
07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Either one can get the job done so I'm not worried.

JB98
07-06-2008, 11:57 PM
It's a tough choice. Honestly, I go with whomever has been the best this season. I understand Dotel has closer experience, but I feel we're better suited having your best guy out there.

Despite the rocky performance today, I think I'd still go with Linebrink if a save situation presents itself Tuesday. (Obviously, I'm assuming that Jenks is not ready. If he is, Bobby is the guy.)

Maybe getting that first save out of the way will ease Line's mind about filling the role in the short term. He can do it. His stuff is good enough.

johnnyg83
07-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Before we start congratulating ourselves, Linebrink has not been our best reliever over the last two weeks.

Mohoney
07-07-2008, 12:28 AM
This might make the decision easier when PK comes off the DL on Tuesday.

I'm with you. They can DL Bobby retroactive to the 30th and let the training staff work on his back. Then he gets reinstated the 1st game back from the break.

thomas35forever
07-07-2008, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't be against placing Bobby on the DL retroactive to June 29. With Konerko coming back, the team doesn't have to make a decision about whether to get rid of Uribe, Ozuna, or Anderson just yet. Therefore, these guys would have another week to prove they belong on the roster. With Bobby back by the All-Star Break, we'd go into the second half knowing who the odd man out is.

As far as the closing situation goes, give the ball to Thornton or Linebrink in the ninth. I know Scott has been a headcase in the last inning so far this season, but I just don't trust Dotel with a close lead, especially after his poor outing aginst the Cubs at Wrigley.

That's my two cents on the whole thing.

WhiteSox5187
07-07-2008, 01:48 AM
If Bobby needs the rest I say we put him on the DL retroactive so we have him fresh as a daisy for the second half. I'd also be tempted to put Dotel in the closer spot, not because I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Linebrink, but watching him of late it seems to me that he doesn't look very comfortable in that spot. Some guys just don't have the mental make up to be a closer (that's not to say they aren't mentally tough or anything like that, some guys for whatever reason just can't do it, a number of good setup men have failed as closers, the best example to me is Latroy Hawkins).

MetroPD
07-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe he can lose some weight. Don't get me wrong, I realize he's always been a big guy, but come on man, he looks like damned refrigerator tipped sideways out there now. When he was leaner, he was also faster.

Frontman
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Let Bobby rest up until after the break. No need to risk an injury if that back is still tweaky.

soxfan43
07-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Over his career Linebrink has been awful as a closer. Ozzie throws him in there for a couple weeks when Jenks is out, it might put him in a funk for the rest of the season. I'm not overly confident in Dotel as the closer, but I'd give him a shot with Thornton coming in for a tough lefty heavy 9th inning on occasion.

SoxGirl4Life
07-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Over his career Linebrink has been awful as a closer. Ozzie throws him in there for a couple weeks when Jenks is out, it might put him in a funk for the rest of the season. I'm not overly confident in Dotel as the closer, but I'd give him a shot with Thornton coming in for a tough lefty heavy 9th inning on occasion.

How about lets just blow out the Royals and the Rangers every game then no one has to be the closer

getonbckthr
07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I want Russell to get a chance. I prefer leaving everyone in there spots. Russell, at least to me, seems to have that set of balls thats needed to close games out.

WhiteSox5187
07-07-2008, 08:37 PM
How about lets just blow out the Royals and the Rangers every game then no one has to be the closer
Your theory intrigues me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

areilly
07-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Let Bobby rest up until after the break. No need to risk an injury if that back is still tweaky.

Agreed. I really hope this isn't the start of Bobby turning into David Wells.

(Note: This was not the profound missive I thought I'd be typing up for #1,000. So it goes.)

BUMMER
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I want Russell to get a chance. I prefer leaving everyone in there spots. Russell, at least to me, seems to have that set of balls thats needed to close games out.
I agree with getonback...Russell might be Ozzie's guy. Oz used him in the 9th in his last 2 appearances (he actually got the 'W' in both) and this way, you won't have to change roles for Dotel, Thornton, or Linebrink...Remember, when Hermanson went down in '05, they turned the closer reins over to an untried rookie who they saw "something" in...Bobby Jenks -- maybe Russell will get that same opportunity...If Jenks' injury is minor, it's only for 6 games...if it's more serious, Russell can use this week as an audition to be Jenks' successor. This is Bobby's 4th season...is it possible the Sox need to have a backup plan? Also, if the Sox falter in the second half and rebuilding is in order over next off-season - if Russell show us something, maybe Jenks could be trade bait.

cws05champ
07-08-2008, 08:20 AM
I agree with getonback...Russell might be Ozzie's guy. Oz used him in the 9th in his last 2 appearances (he actually got the 'W' in both) and this way, you won't have to change roles for Dotel, Thornton, or Linebrink...Remember, when Hermanson went down in '05, they turned the closer reins over to an untried rookie who they saw "something" in...Bobby Jenks -- maybe Russell will get that same opportunity...If Jenks' injury is minor, it's only for 6 games...if it's more serious, Russell can use this week as an audition to be Jenks' successor. This is Bobby's 4th season...is it possible the Sox need to have a backup plan? Also, if the Sox falter in the second half and rebuilding is in order over next off-season - if Russell show us something, maybe Jenks could be trade bait.
Yes, but in 2005 Jenks was worked in on middle releif then set up a few games then started closing games. Russell has not made that progression yet and does not have an awful lot of experience. Also he is not coming out of the pen with 98-100 mph fastball :tongue:.

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Looks like "closer by committee".

Red Barchetta
07-08-2008, 09:29 AM
No big deal. No reason to take chances with his health before the break.
I also agree with Dotel closing, but hopefully the Sox can blow out the Royals and Rangers.

I agree. Now would be a nice time for the offense to step up and provide some 3-4 run leads going into the 9th inning.

sox1970
07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
According to Cowley, Ozzie is saying Jenks is going on the DL, probably after tonight's game.

sox1970
07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

Rockabilly
07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
According to Cowley, Ozzie is saying Jenks is going on the DL, probably after tonight's game.

than why did they DFA Ozuna weird move

Domeshot17
07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
They still want 12 pitchers.

Scottiehaswheels
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
than why did they DFA Ozuna weird moveLoaiza coming back off the DL?

sox1970
07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I think Wassermann comes back. He wasn't great when he was up, but his ERA at Charlotte is 0.82.

07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I think Wassermann comes back. He wasn't great when he was up, but his ERA at Charlotte is 0.82.

Could be. They'll add a pitcher because Guillen wants 12.

I highly doubt it's Loaiza, he's been ineffective in Charlotte and they're doing some medical tests on him to see what the deal is. He's actually traveling with the team now but in no shape to contribute.

Could very well be Wasserman but a trade wouldn't surprise either.

kevingrt
07-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Is this DL going to be retroactive from the last time he pitched which was what Sunday 6/27 of the Cubs game?

07-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Is this DL going to be retroactive from the last time he pitched which was what Sunday 6/27 of the Cubs game?

Yes, they'll retro it.

Maybe Rongey can add some insight, he's lurking on the thread.

Chris?

getonbckthr
07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, they'll retro it.

Maybe Rongey can add some insight, he's lurking on the thread.

Chris?
Which is Rongey at WSI?

thomas35forever
07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
It'll be Loaiza. Why else would they bring him to Chicago the other day for non-medical reasons?