PDA

View Full Version : Make-Your-Own Signs at the Ballpark

Brian26
07-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I had pretty good seats today. Too bad I missed half the game courtesy of Officemax. I hate having to be the confrontational guy that tells someone to be quiet or put their sign down, so I bit my tongue.

Hopefully the Officemax sponsorship helps sign a free agent this winter.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/White%20Sox%20Stuff/signs.jpg

soltrain21
07-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Tell security to let the girls know they can only hold up the signs in between innings.

#1swisher
07-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I would call the white sox office. They are very understanding. Explain the situation with the signs.
Make a suggestion that the people behind the table should tell sign holders about game ettiquette.
I'm certain you will see a difference next game.:D:

PatK
07-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I think security should toss out anyone that makes a "Go Cubs" or pro-Cubs sign.

I see at least one drillrod per game with one of those signs and thinks they are being cute, cool, or funny.

scarsofthumper
07-06-2008, 08:39 PM
They should just be lynched. It's called common sense.

cws05champ
07-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I would call the white sox office. They are very understanding. Explain the situation with the signs.
Make a suggestion that the people behind the table should tell sign holders about game ettiquette.
I'm certain you will see a difference next game.:D:
Or they could print that on the back of the sign...Only hold up sign between innings!

SoxGirl4Life
07-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I had pretty good seats today. Too bad I missed half the game courtesy of Officemax. I hate having to be the confrontational guy that tells someone to be quiet or put their sign down, so I bit my tongue.

First, I'm really sorry you missed half the game. Second.. this picture cracks me up. Its classic!

DumpJerry
07-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I have politely asked people to put signs down during innings and never got any grief for it. Oftentimes, the offender is unaware of his/her actions. This includes the kids whose sign read "The guy behind me can't see." I told him that it was ok to hold it up, but if he did it during the inning, it would be torn....

Brian26
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
First, I'm really sorry you missed half the game. Second.. this picture cracks me up. Its classic!

Of course I'm exaggerating about missing half the game for comedic purposes, but it was distracting enough that a few people behind me said "THANK YOU" when the girl put the sign down to go use the restroom.

I'm kicking myself I didn't take a picture of the cotton candy guy who conveniently set his totem pole of colored-sugar right in front of me as DeWayne Wise tagged up to try to score on AJ's shallow fly to LF.

salty99
07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm more shocked that you went to a game and had a camera!

:dtroll:

Brian26
07-06-2008, 10:03 PM

Camera phone is always available.

daveeym
07-06-2008, 11:28 PM

Was that the white sox fans from singapore sign? I was in row 35 right behind you then. They didn't really look like they were from singapore.

tacosalbarojas
07-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm kicking myself I didn't take a picture of the cotton candy guy who conveniently set his totem pole of colored-sugar right in front of me as DeWayne Wise tagged up to try to score on AJ's shallow fly to LF.Those things irritate me to no end. I seem to remember in Pitts or SD maybe that vendors there have them in nice neat bags that they carry, no totem pole needed.

MrRoboto83
07-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I get more upset when kids scream right in my ear when those goofy crowd noise meter things pop up on the diamondvision. These are all reasons I prefer standing on the concourse watching the game.

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I especially enjoyed the one I saw today that said "Sox it to em Soxs."

Seriously. Soxs.

cards press box
07-07-2008, 02:41 AM
I think security should toss out anyone that makes a "Go Cubs" or pro-Cubs sign.

I see at least one drillrod per game with one of those signs and thinks they are being cute, cool, or funny.

Has this become a common place occurrence? I was at the game today and behind me on the escalator was some kid with a "Go Cubs!" sign. I couldn't believe it and, in fact, asked him if he was confused. I don't think he understood my point.

Come to think of it, I can't say that I've heard of anyone marching into Wrigley with "Go Sox!" signs. Anyway, I don't know if the owners of these "Go Cubs!" signs are trying to be cute, cool, or funny. I do think that they are still upset about the '05 World Series, though.

WSox597
07-07-2008, 06:59 AM
They still haven't gotten over it, that's correct. I find their math interesting.

'2005? That's so long ago, get over it.'

But 100 years is not too long ago.

35th&Shields
07-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I have politely asked people to put signs down during innings and never got any grief for it. Oftentimes, the offender is unaware of his/her actions. This includes the kids whose sign read "The guy behind me can't see." I told him that it was ok to hold it up, but if he did it during the inning, it would be torn....

I did the same thing on Saturday. The mom with the kids was very understanding. Now if we can only get people to enter/exit their seats during breaks in the game........................................

Brian26
07-07-2008, 02:30 PM

This was a bit more complicated in that the mother of the two girls (who, by the way were roughly 11 or 12 years old) had repeatedly told them to put the signs down, so I give her major credit for that. If they weren't going to listen to their mother, I felt it inappropriate to provide outside parental supervision, and I certainly wasn't going to end up getting kicked out of the game because I was the middle-aged jag-bag who ripped up a couple of little girls' signs. Chalk it up to experience.

I still maintain that the best seats in the house are the first five rows of the upper deck between 1b and 3b. Yesterday I sat in roughly the 30th row (lower deck) right behind homeplate and the Sox dugout, and I was amazed at how difficult it was to actually enjoy watching the game because of all of the distractions.

I really like the idea the Blackhawks use of holding people back from going down the aisles until the whistle blows for a stop in play, but I just don't see how it would be logistically possible to do that during a baseball game.

skottyj242
07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I really like the idea the Blackhawks use of holding people back from going down the aisles until the whistle blows for a stop in play, but I just don't see how it would be logistically possible to do that during a baseball game.

For the Saturday Cubs game I got to my seats in the bottom of the first (I went to the New Era Cap Corner and watched the top on the concourse) but I was waiting watching the Sox bat at the top of 133 and was informed by the usher that I couldn't stand there while the game was going on. I showed him my ticket and said I'm just waiting until the end of the inning then I will go down, I don't want to interrupt anyone watching the game. I was told I had to go somewhere else.

35th&Shields
07-07-2008, 02:56 PM

Simple. The ushers tell people to wait at the top until there is a stop in play. I was standing at the top of the stairs on Saturday and the usher politely asked me if I needed help. I replied, "No, I'm just waiting for a stop in play before I go to my seat." He laughed and mentioned that few people do that anymore. And I think that's too bad. One person's desire to get up during a game shouldn't affect another person's experience at the game. It's just common courtesy.

KenBerryGrab
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
I love the people who stand up to get their stuff from a vendor. Not to dig the cash out, but to receive it coming down the line.

"Um, you can do that SITTING DOWN, you know?"

mcfish
07-08-2008, 10:32 AM

:dtroll:
:scratch: ???

What's wrong with having a camera at the game?

BoysMom3
07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
When I went to the game where we had the club level seats, it seemed like everyone waited in that little hall-type area between the walls until the ball wasn't in play before returning to their seats.

salty99
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
:scratch: ???

What's wrong with having a camera at the game?

it's an inside joke since we used to split a ticket package. Whenever he would sell tickets he would use my opening day photo from 2006 to show our seat location.

mcfish
07-08-2008, 12:35 PM
it's an inside joke since we used to split a ticket package. Whenever he would sell tickets he would use my opening day photo from 2006 to show our seat location.
Thanks. I thought that I was missing the newest WSI gameday faux pas, but I can see now that it's still the wave.

itsnotrequired
07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3610/pic0070td2.jpg

Quality control needs to be increased. They'll let you make a sign of anything...

MinnySoxFan
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Where is the sign making booth at? That way I don't have to buy my own stuff while down there in 9 days...

KenBerryGrab
07-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Where is the sign making booth at? That way I don't have to buy my own stuff while down there in 9 days...

There are a few on each level.

Fungo
07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
I've always wanted to make a sign that says...

"The guy behind me can't see"

BeefyD
07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Couldn't help but notice the St. Louis cap in the picture... Reminds me of this sign, from a Cardinals fan:

http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/9240/2323808810080477711S600x600Q85.jpg