PDA

View Full Version : Dewayne Wise

35th and Shields
07-06-2008, 07:29 PM
i don't know about you guys but i'm really starting to like wise in the lineup. He's a decent fielder with a ton of speed and most importantly he's hitting the ball. I'm starting to wonder if this team would be better without konerko. I'm not saying that wise is a better hitter then konerko or any of that but one problem this lineup has is that there are just to many big and slow sluggers right in the middle of the order and if guys are in a slump were going to be in trouble especially if we're playing station to station baseball. Speed on the other-hand never has a slump.

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I like the platooning of Wise and Anderson and I love Swish at 1st, so where does that leave Paulie? For the rest of this season Id platoon Paulie and Thome at DH.

Brian26
07-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I think he's playing over his head right now, and I wasn't a big fan of his dumb attempt to stretch that single into a double today to impress Ozzie. Being aggressive is one thing, but being foolish is another. He was out as soon as he rounded first base.

Blueprint1
07-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I like the platooning of Wise and Anderson and I love Swish at 1st, so where does that leave Paulie? For the rest of this season Id platoon Paulie and Thome at DH.

Seriously? When Paulie comes back I put him at first. I move Swish back into CF. You really want Wise or Anderson in the lineup over Paulie?

35th and Shields
07-06-2008, 07:53 PM
yea i don't agree with that either but i was at the game and everyone in the dugout (including ozzie) gave him high fives when he came back to the dugout. I wouldn't be surprised if they told him to try stretch one out in that situation given a scouting report on the As' outfielders or something

sox1970
Don't give up on Konerko. I think he'll have a solid second half.

October26
I think he's playing over his head right now, and I wasn't a big fan of his dumb attempt to stretch that single into a double today to impress Ozzie. Being aggressive is one thing, but being foolish is another. He was out as soon as he rounded first base.

I saw that, and thought the same thing. But later on in the game, Wise showed me something when he had a double and was cautious in not attempting to run to third. I'm pleased with what I have seen from DeWayne Wise so far in a White Sox uniform.

35th and Shields
07-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Seriously? When Paulie comes back I put him at first. I move Swish back into CF. You really want Wise or Anderson in the lineup over Paulie?

i think he should stay in the lineup while he's hot and platoon Konerko and Thome. Besides if Konerko still isn't 100% when he gets back it could be good to let him slowly get adjusted again

gobears1987
07-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Konerko doesn't have good seasons. He has good halves. Given that his first half was horrible, Konerko's history would lead us to believe that his 2nd half will be amazing.

asindc
07-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I saw that, and thought the same thing. But later on in the game, Wise showed me something when he had a double and was cautious in not attempting to run to third. I'm pleased with what I have seen from DeWayne Wise so far in a White Sox uniform.

Exactly. That's why I didn't have a problem with him trying to stretch the single to a double. At that stage of the game, not a huge risk with his speed IMO. The fact that he held up in the 7th shows me that he understands when to use his speed in the right situations.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I think Wise has earned a spot on this team as a backup OF and pinch runner/base stealing threat off the bench.

I don't think he's anywhere near as good a fielder as BA; I think that BA would have caught the 7th inning double in the RCF gap that Wise missed by about three feet. But he's nowhere near as bad in CF as Mackowiak, for example.

I think if Uribe is not dealt that Ozuna should be dealt/released or Russell sent back down to Charlotte in order to keep Wise on the roster.

cws05champ
07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
I think Wise has earned a spot on this team as a backup OF and pinch runner/base stealing threat off the bench.

I don't think he's anywhere near as good a fielder as BA; I think that BA would have caught the 7th inning double in the RCF gap that Wise missed by about three feet. But he's nowhere near as bad in CF as Mackowiak, for example.

I think if Uribe is not dealt that Ozuna should be dealt/released or Russell sent back down to Charlotte in order to keep Wise on the roster.
I agree, with everything you said.
He just reminds me of a Timo Perez from 2005, but faster. Nice little LH stick off the bench that can steal a bag and play decent defense.

chisoxmike
07-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Don't give up on Konerko. I think he'll have a solid second half.

I do too. He was hurt pretty much the entire first half. It seems his oblique his doing pretty well and opefully beating up on AAA pitching can get into his head and he'll remember he's a good hitter.

getonbckthr
07-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Paul Konerko will have a huge 2nd half. I'm thinking 17-18 hrs and 50 RBI's hitting around .295.

Lillian
07-06-2008, 11:01 PM
As some of you probably remember, I was very high on Wise back in May before his first call up. We were all skeptical of his terrific performance at Charlotte, but some of us speculated that he may have just been a late bloomer. He's really never had much of a chance to play at the Big League level, in fact until this year he had a total of 340 at bats.
I noted at the time that he has always been a great athlete, having played three sports in High School, where his coach claimed he was the best athlete he had ever seen.
Now that we have seen him play, I'm wondering if a big part of his new found hitting prowess might be in part attributable to his having adopted a no stride approach at the plate. It is my understanding that he has changed his approach this year. Does anyone know what specific changes he has made?

ondafarm
07-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I much prefer Swisher at first and BA/ Wise in CF. Although like Frater, I think BA catches that seventh inning double. I also think Wise's trying to stretch a single was dumb. With Harden your first priority is to get him facing as many men as possible especially from the stretch as early as possible. Running on himjust gives up an out.

Tragg
07-06-2008, 11:53 PM
From the few times I've seen him hit, I like his approach at the plate. Maybe he's a late, late bloomer.
I do think that when we are ahead, BA should patrol CF in late innings.

Mohoney
07-07-2008, 01:17 AM
I would not be opposed to putting Bobby on the DL to buy Wise some more time up here. If he totally tanks, we get rid of him when Bobby comes back. If he plays his way into a job, somebody else goes.

The way I see it, Wise, Anderson, and Russell have all done nothing to deserve a demotion, but they don't let you keep 26 guys, so it's really a question of whether you can find more playing time for a 5th OF or a 12th pitcher?

Normally I would say to go with just 11 pitchers, but this team lives (2005) and dies (2007) with pitching. Since all 12 guys are capable guys, I would go back to 12 pitchers when Bobby gets back. It's just too bad that one of the OF would have to go.