PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox beat A's 4-3 - Without hitting a homer?

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Discuss it here! :o:

Linebrink makes it interesting, but the Sox persevere!

oeo
07-06-2008, 03:53 PM
We need you back, Bobby.

Sockinchisox
What a young star we are grooming in Johnny Danks.

Frater Perdurabo
What a young star we are grooming in Johnny Danks.

It's about dang time he gets some run support and gets a win.

peeonwrigley
I'll take a split versus these *******s anytime.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Quentin really is one humble dude. :smile:

SoxGirl4Life
I'll take a split versus these *******s anytime.

Can't lose focus against KC. And Texas is going to test our pitching. But GREAT homestand. :bandance:

mccoydp
The ending was way too interesting, but a win is a win!

:winner

skobabe8
07-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Love the JD's on this team!

thomas35forever
Whew! I'll take the split and keep the one-game lead in the Central.
:)

johnnyg83
9-2 homestand

14 over = high water mark

SoxSpeed22
Good day all around. TCQ and Crede are all stars, JD has a chance. The Sox manufacture runs, future all-star, Danks pitches an outstanding game, the pen makes it interesting, and I thought Cust got all of it. :o:
But a win's a win and splitting with Oakland is always good, now let's go into KC and win some more.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 03:58 PM
What a difference an inning makes for Linebrink.

Blueprint1
07-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Great to come back and win the last two games of this series. Let's see if we can get Dye on the all-star team.

October26
07-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Great win. We miss you Bobby and Paulie. Hope to see you both on Tuesday for the series in KC. Enjoy the day off on Monday, White Sox - you sure have earned it! What a great homestand and nice to hear "Sweet Home Chicago" playing after the game at the Cell!
PS - happy for Danks that he got the win. He sure deserved it.:bandance:

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Good thing is Sox maintain their lead in the Central and hopefully can gain some ground as the Twins have to go into Boston and we have to go into KC.

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2008, 04:05 PM
9-2 homestand

14 over = high water mark
9-2 would have been nice but it was 8-2.

voodoochile
07-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Nice game for JD and the bullpen. Got to give props to Linebrink. I know he made us sweat, but it's obvious he hates closing. He got it done today and that's what counts...

Whatever Dewayne Wise has been eating since his second callup, keep feeding it to him.

Nice to get a day off. I am sure this team is pretty fragged with two days off since 6/3. Glad the break is coming...

:winner

:supernana:

:)

johnnyg83
07-06-2008, 04:10 PM
9-2 would have been nice but it was 8-2.

shoulda paid more attention in math class

TDog
07-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Great win.

The game was a bit more interesting than I would have liked. The two sacrificed flies -- situational hitting -- turned out to be the difference between winning and losing. The first followed Swisher going from first to third on a single and scoring on a ball that wasn't terribly deep, although the A's announcers said Cust playing too deep led to Davis having a bad throwing angle. The second came with the Sox scoring a leadoff double. Way to go.

The A's were extremely shorthanded today. Sweeney couldn't start with a badly swollen ankle. Suzuki needed the day off after catching Saturday night. Gonzalez wasn't ready to come back after tweaking his hamstring. Murphy, whose homer was the difference Thursay night, also was injured last night. The A's got very good pitching, though.

The big hit of the game for the A's obviously was the two-run double. Danks had two strikes on Bowen (not a speedster) with runners on first and third. He could have gotten out of it with a doubleplay, and he was set up with a strikeout. I don't know if it was a bad pitch or a clutch hit on a good pitch, but a different pitch would have made the game a lot easier, though.

The A's radio announcers, in particularly Ray "Thome should have stayed in Cleveland" Fosse, blame the umpires for missing the call at first with two outs and none on in the first inning.

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2008, 04:16 PM
These are the kinds of games the good teams win, lets keep it up in KC and Texas. When is Minnesota going to go away?

The Immigrant
07-06-2008, 04:18 PM
That sacrifice fly by A.J. sure proved to be huge. It's beyond me how he was left off the All-Star team. :rolleyes:/LMAO at Varitek's selection.

johnnyg83
07-06-2008, 04:23 PM
That sacrifice fly by A.J. sure proved to be huge. It's beyond me how he was left off the All-Star team. :rolleyes:/LMAO at Varitek's selection.

Varitek of the .219 average

ChiSoxGirl
07-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Varitek of the .219 average

If Francona's choosing people based on their average, shouldn't Thome and Anderson be in there, too? Way to not play favorites, Terry! :rolleyes:

jcw218
07-06-2008, 04:26 PM
These are the kinds of games the good teams win, lets keep it up in KC and Texas. When is Minnesota going to go away?

All we can do is take care of our own business. The Twins won't go away until the last game of the year.

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 04:29 PM
If Francona's choosing people based on their average, shouldn't Thome and Anderson be in there, too? Way to not play favorites, Terry! :rolleyes:

Varitek was voted in by the players.

ChiSoxGirl
07-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Varitek was voted in by the players.

I just heard that on Rongey's postgame show. I feel like an uninformed tool. :redface:

tstrike2000
07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I just heard that on Rongey's postgame show. I feel like an uninformed tool. :redface:

Never a tool. Let's now vote for Dye in the final vote!

whitesox901
07-06-2008, 04:36 PM
weird seeing them win today with the looooooooong ball, but win anyway you can I guess! :bandance:

Frontman
07-06-2008, 04:44 PM

They're not until the Sox beat them. (Or else their whole team gets healthy and back on the field; then they'll lose a game here and there.)

Solid week of Sox baseball, congrats to Crede and Quentin!

Corlose 15
07-06-2008, 04:59 PM
The A's radio announcers, in particularly Ray "Thome should have stayed in Cleveland" Fosse, blame the umpires for missing the call at first with two outs and none on in the first inning.

He was safe. The tag was late.

palehozenychicty
07-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I'll gladly take a split from the scum-laden As. Vote for JD!

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 05:05 PM
It was a hot one out there. Fortunately, our Sox were hot enough to eke out a win as well.

Danks pitched awesome. He didn't lose any bit of composure at all. That's one thing I really am impressed with about Danks. He's such a young pitcher, yet he always seems to have his composure and doesn't get into many jams. Dotel and Linebrink made it interesting; but, they did get timely pitches when they really needed them. Fortunately the wind was blowing in on that final fly-out to Dye off the bat of Cust!

Obviously, I was at the game, so I did not get an explanation for why Thome was told to go back to the batter's box in the 4th inning when it looked like he had a lead-off single? Did the catcher call "time" or something?

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
It was a hot one out there. Fortunately, our Sox were hot enough to eke out a win as well.

Danks pitched awesome. He didn't lose any bit of composure at all. That's one thing I really am impressed with about Danks. He's such a young pitcher, yet he always seems to have his composure and doesn't get into many jams. Dotel and Linebrink made it interesting; but, they did get timely pitches when they really needed them. Fortunately the wind was blowing in on that final fly-out to Dye off the bat of Cust!

Obviously, I was at the game, so I did not get an explanation for why Thome was told to go back to the batter's box in the 4th inning when it looked like he had a lead-off single? Did the catcher call "time" or something?
1st base umpire called time out.

JB98
07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
The Sox improve to 9-2 with me in attendance this year. They also improve to 5-21 in games in which they do not hit a home run.

Excellent job of manufacturing a run in the bottom of the seventh inning. That proved to be the difference in the game. I'm glad we finally got a win for Danks.

I'm looking forward to Jenks' return. While Linebrink did get the job done, it's a little scary without having Bobby to anchor our bullpen.

spawn
07-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm looking forward to Jenks' return. While Linebrink did get the job done, it's a little scary without having Bobby to anchor our bullpen.
Jenks has been mking the 9th pretty interesting as well, so it's not just Linebrink. Also in that 9th, it's not like the A's hit the ball hard off of him. The single by Suzuki ticks off Crede's glove, while the rbi single by Ellis was a comebacker tht Linebrink couldn't make a play on. That said, I do hope for a speedy return by Jenks so we have the bullpen at full strength again. Great outing by Danks...again. Also nice to win a game without hitting a home run. Also, the Twins won't be going away. As long as the Sox take care of business, I'm not going to concern myself with them.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Johnnyg:

I thought the Sox were 15 over at one point in the last week? Maybe I was mistaken.

----------

Loved today's game and the fact they were able to manufacture some runs. I'll gladly take the split considering how this series started out.

This week the Twins are at Boston and Detroit. The Sox at Kansas City and Texas. Advantage: White Sox. IF and that's big if, the offense decides to show up for the road trip.

We'll see.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Johnnyg:

I thought the Sox were 15 over at one point in the last week? Maybe I was mistaken.

----------

Loved today's game and the fact they were able to manufacture some runs. I'll gladly take the split considering how this series started out.

This week the Twins are at Boston and Detroit. The Sox at Kansas City and Texas. Advantage: White Sox. IF and that's big if, the offense decides to show up for the road trip.

We'll see.

Lip
Lip, we were 49-35 after the Indians series for a .583 pct, that was the high point. After todays win we are 14 over again for a .580 pct.

JB98
07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Jenks has been mking the 9th pretty interesting as well, so it's not just Linebrink. Also in that 9th, it's not like the A's hit the ball hard off of him. The single by Suzuki ticks off Crede's glove, while the rbi single by Ellis was a comebacker tht Linebrink couldn't make a play on. That said, I do hope for a speedy return by Jenks so we have the bullpen at full strength again. Great outing by Danks...again. Also nice to win a game without hitting a home run. Also, the Twins won't be going away. As long as the Sox take care of business, I'm not going to concern myself with them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Jenks has had some interesting ninth innings lately because he has been pitching at less than 100 percent.

You are correct that Linebrink had some misfortune in the ninth today. Still, he seems a bit uncomfortable on the mound in these save situations.

LITTLE NELL
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I have a correction on a previous post, before Detroit swept us we were 37-26 for a .587 pct. for the highest pct. for the season.

FourStarsTwoBars
07-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Did anyone else think it would have been a good idea for Quentin to steal home in the bottom of the first?
The A's were playing the Thome shift, so the 3rd baseman was playing like a shortstop, so TCQ could have gotten a large lead off, or even he could have threatened to steal so the A's would have had to reduce their exaggerated shift on Thome and held TCQ in check

asindc
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Did anyone else think it would have been a good idea for Quentin to steal home in the bottom of the first?
The A's were playing the Thome shift, so the 3rd baseman was playing like a shortstop, so TCQ could have gotten a large lead off, or even he could have threatened to steal so the A's would have had to reduce their exaggerated shift on Thome and held TCQ in check

I agree that is should be considered in those situations, depending on who is on third. I have often wondered why it doesn't happen at least occasionally with guys like Thome and Ortiz at the plate.

Railsplitter
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
It doesn't matter how you get the runs as long as you get more than the other guys!
:bandance::bandance:

SoxandtheCityTee
07-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I'll gladly take a split from the scum-laden As. Vote for JD!

I complelety forgot that reference. Hilarious -- it needed to be be brought back.

We'll take that split. I was impressed with Dotel's cool with bases loaded in the 7th.

rookie
07-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Great game, especially with free tix (and parking pass) offered to you 3 hours before gametime. Warm, but the breeze took off some of the edge. That Carlos catch was crucial. Is it just the Sox that have their act together for PR with the final man vote? Then again, I guess we have some experience with this. I'm suprised MLB gave us another chance with our track record.

Whew tired. Which is good. It'll make me go to bed earlier so I can wake up early. But not too tired, to vote JD!

FedEx227
07-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree that is should be considered in those situations, depending on who is on third. I have often wondered why it doesn't happen at least occasionally with guys like Thome and Ortiz at the plate.

Likely because the risk of losing a potential run is not worth it... especially when a outfield fly or any type of hit scores him.

asindc
07-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Likely because the risk of losing a potential run is not worth it... especially when a outfield fly or any type of hit scores him.

On average, you have about a 27% chance to get a hit. I'm wildly guessing at about 55% chance to get a fly ball deep enough or a ground ball placed well enough to get the runner home. Depending on the runner on third (Wise, Cabrera, Alexei, even TCQ), I wonder how much risk there really is, or more to the point, is it really more risky?

FielderJones
07-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I completely forgot that reference. Hilarious -- it needed to be brought back.

That cracked me up as well. That was back when the FOBB/EOBB battles were almost as epic as the FOBA/EOBA.

Good win for the Sox, although I'll be glad when Bobby is back. Yes he has had some interesting 9th innings, but has Linebrink pitched a 9th inning in which he has not given up a run?

Johnny Mostil
07-06-2008, 09:36 PM
has Linebrink pitched a 9th inning in which he has not given up a run?

Last Tuesday against Cleveland?

FourStarsTwoBars
07-06-2008, 10:31 PM
On average, you have about a 27% chance to get a hit. I'm wildly guessing at about 55% chance to get a fly ball deep enough or a ground ball placed well enough to get the runner home. Depending on the runner on third (Wise, Cabrera, Alexei, even TCQ), I wonder how much risk there really is, or more to the point, is it really more risky?

There were two outs in this situation, so a flyout would have put them out of the inning. I totally could have seen TCQ with a leadoff 35-40% the distance to home and just taking off, Harden would have have to get it home in a good spot to beat a sliding TCQ (Thome was up so the left box was unobstructed)

DumpJerry
07-06-2008, 10:31 PM
When is Minnesota going to go away?
They're probably asking "when will the White Sox lose?" I think I would be more frustrated as a fan if my team wins ten in a row followed by five of the next seven and cannot pull out of second place during that.

15-2 and no change in position for the Twinks. Poor babies. They have been in second since May 19th......

Pinar_del_Rio_WS
07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
There were two outs in this situation, so a flyout would have put them out of the inning. I totally could have seen TCQ with a leadoff 35-40% the distance to home and just taking off, Harden would have have to get it home in a good spot to beat a sliding TCQ (Thome was up so the left box was unobstructed)

Perhaps the fact of Thome being a left handed is an obstacle, because the catcher has a full view of the runner all the time. Of course, If Thome were rigth handed the infield play in the normal way, so it doesn´t help anyway.

I vote for trying to make the play to see what happen, I think It dependes a lot on the hability of the catcher to block the homeplate, no matter how much a leadoff distance the runner can take.

FielderJones
07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Last Tuesday against Cleveland?

You're right. Linebrink is slightly worse than .500 in 9th inning appearances in terms of giving up a run. On May 25, May 26, Jun 24, and Jul 1 he appeared in the 9th inning and did not surrender a run. On May 30, Jun 20, Jul 2, Jul 5 and Jul 6 he appeared in the 9th inning and did surrender a run. I'm guilty of selective recall, probably because the recent appearances are the bad ones.