PDA

View Full Version : Report: C.C. Dealt to Brewers

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Indians beat reporter says a major league source told him the Indians and Brewers have agreed to a deal.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/cc_to_the_brew_crew_done_deal.html

thomas35forever
07-06-2008, 04:39 PM
If it's true, sorry Cubbie fans!:cool:

ComiskeyBrewer
07-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Depending on who we gave up, i'm very happy with this, espcially concidering the next game i am going to is Tuesday, CC's first start for the brewers.

soxfanreggie
07-06-2008, 04:48 PM
LaPorta would be a good get, but I would think one of the other prospects would have some good talent. I would really love it if the Brewers fleeced the Indians.

whitesox901
07-06-2008, 04:49 PM
If this is true, and the Brew Crew dosnt resign him, anychance he could be an 09' South Sider?

gobears1987
07-06-2008, 04:54 PM
If this is true, and the Brew Crew dosnt resign him, anychance he could be an 09' South Sider?
:hawk

Where's he gonna play?

Madvora
07-06-2008, 04:55 PM
As a Sox fan, this would be double good.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2008, 05:11 PM
This is good if true. He's out of the AL and out of the AL Central.

It's also good to see the Brewers as buyers. I hope they and the Cardinals have a nice race for the NL Central, with one of them winning the division and the other winning the Wild Card.
:D:

StillMissOzzie
07-06-2008, 05:17 PM

When you consider that CC turned down a 4 yr/$72M offer from the Tribe, do you think that JR is gonna approve either more years or more $$$$$$$$ to sweeten the pot?

I don't, but that's just me.

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
07-06-2008, 05:21 PM
If true, it's too bad that the Indians have given up (although they played the Twins this weekend like they had given up). The Sox don't play the Indans again until September, and I was hoping to see some fight in them from out of the race.

Of course, Sabathia has to do better in the Brewers rotation than the pitchers whose place he would be taking. But I wouldn't expect him to do as well as others seem to.

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I have to doubt this, nothing is being reported anywhere about this.

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Deal looks like it's definitely for real, LaPorta is out of Huntsville's lineup.

palehozenychicty
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
If it doesn't get done today, then it'll get done within the next 24 hours. The Brewers wanted him to make a couple of starts before the break. It's a good deal for the Brewers, regardless of what happens in the winter. They need arms.

getonbckthr
07-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Ya but Sheets is due for a DL stint.

pearso66
07-06-2008, 06:12 PM

I thought I remember reading somewhere that CC wants 7-8 years, near what Zito got. I highly highly doubt the Sox give him that.

palehozenychicty
07-06-2008, 06:12 PM

For real. I'll be shocked if he holds up and pitches this well in the second half.

Bucky F. Dent
07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/brewers-trying-to-close-deal.aspx

Two hour old blog entry from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Brewers are "trying to close the deal" for C.C.

And in related news, Konerko is very close to being dealt to the Angels.

soxpride724
07-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I'l believe this when I see it. Don't get me wrong I would love to see this deal done, but no one else is saying anything including the know it all Bruce Levine.

hose
07-06-2008, 06:39 PM

and the sun will rise in the east

FedEx227
07-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I'd hate to give up LaPorta, but if they are serious about their chances this year then you gotta go for it I suppose.

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 06:43 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/sabathia-deal-is-close.aspx

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
This move puts the Brewers as favorites for that division, IMHO. Good for them! Good for us too in not having to face him anymore! The Indians are gonna be bad for a while now.

MCHSoxFan
07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Indians beat reporter says a major league source told him the Indians and Brewers have agreed to a deal.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/cc_to_the_brew_crew_done_deal.html

If true...HE GONE! (From the A.L.)

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/brewers-Indians-agree-on-sabathia.aspx

MCHSoxFan
07-06-2008, 06:58 PM
This move puts the Brewers as favorites for that division, IMHO.

Same. Lately, they have scored a TON of runs and come back into contention, a bit. Yes, they just killed PIT. However, the Cubs play PIT to and means just as much. I wan the Brewers to with the N.L. Central over the Cards just because I like the city of Milwaukee and when was the last time they were in the post-season? A while... A LOOOONG while. I like the Cards to win it because my Uncle lives in St. Louis. However, from season-to-season, they have a better chance than the Brewers do.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't consider that a done deal yet. Not until it's reported on MLB.com. This is just about as reliable as when Kenny acquired Miguel Cabrera or when Johan was traded to the Mets for Jose Reyes etc.

MCHSoxFan
07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/brewers-trying-to-close-deal.aspx

Two hour old blog entry from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Brewers are "trying to close the deal" for C.C.

And in related news, Konerko is very close to being dealt to the Angels.

:redneck NICE ending! :cool:

soltrain21
07-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Same. Lately, they have scored a TON of runs and come back into contention, a bit. Yes, they just killed PIT. However, the Cubs play PIT to and means just as much. I wan the Brewers to with the N.L. Central over the Cards just because I like the city of Milwaukee and when was the last time they were in the post-season? A while... A LOOOONG while. I like the Cards to win it because my Uncle lives in St. Louis. However, from season-to-season, they have a better chance than the Brewers do.

The Cubs already played the Pirates at least 12 times.

MCHSoxFan
07-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I thought I remember reading somewhere that CC wants 7-8 years, near what Zito got. I highly highly doubt the Sox give him that.

I doubt it to. Mark was already very close to not happening and he is...Mark! so, I doubt it to.

MCHSoxFan
07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
The Cubs already played the Pirates at least 12 times.

No, I know. I am just saying the Brewers will play them just as much so they have an equal chance to beat them a ton (Beat PIT).

MCHSoxFan
07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/brewers-Indians-agree-on-sabathia.aspx

Check out da thread in WTS!

MCHSoxFan
07-06-2008, 07:07 PM
LINK: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103201

chisoxmike
07-06-2008, 07:13 PM
This move puts the Brewers as favorites for that division, IMHO. .

Eh. I still say the Cubs win that division with or without C.C. on the Brewers.

jenn2080
07-06-2008, 07:32 PM
It's on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3475667)also.

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 07:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3475667

ESPN is saying the deal is done just pending paperwork and physicals

TommyGavinFloyd
07-06-2008, 07:33 PM
It's on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3475667)also.

Put it on the board! Sabathia and Santana out of the league in the same year, yeeeeessssss!!!

Now if only the Twins would deal Nathan...

soltrain21
07-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Put it on the board! Sabathia and Santana out of the league in the same year, yeeeeessssss!!!

Now if only the Twins would deal Nathan...

They will replace him with another robot that plays just as well.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Tommy:

They signed him to a three year extension this spring if memory serves.

Lip

Rockabilly
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Also heard a rumor that the Brewers are still looking for more pitching and they are scouting Maddux

Madscout
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
And Nathan will go pitch like crap somewhere else, as the twins stop giving him thier special twinkie cool-aid...

gobears1987
07-06-2008, 08:11 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mighty_Casey

Once upon a time, there was a major league baseball team called the Washington Senators, who during the last year of their existence wound up in last place and shortly thereafter wound up in oblivion. There's a rumor, unsubstantiated of course, that a manager named Griffith took them to Minnesota and wound up with several pennants and a couple of world's championships. This team had a pitching staff that made history. Of course none of them smiled very much, but it happens to be a fact that they pitched like nothing human. And if you're interested as to where these gentlemen came from, you might check under "B", for baseball, in the Twilight Zone

(I just edited the ending naration slightly so it would fit the Twins instead of the fictional Hoboken Zephyrs)

PatK
07-06-2008, 08:33 PM
This deal must be going down since the Tribe just signed Jeff Weaver

BadBobbyJenks
07-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Buster Onley reporting on ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3475667

Looks like Cleveland is getting their stud prospect Matt Laporta and some unnamed prospects.

If this does in fact go down what a double whammy for us. CC is gone from the AL and he can help the Brew Crew chase down the Flubs.

Laporta projects to be a star, but you got to love this trade for the Brewers.

Edit: Sorry Mods, didn't check what's the score first.

SoXPriDe33
07-06-2008, 08:45 PM
On the Sunday night broadcast Jon Miller asked Peter Gammons if any window was open for the Brewers to try to sign Sabathia to a long-term deal but Gammons' response was that no they'll let him go to free agency at the end of the year. Can the Brewers still sign him during the season or are they not allowed to if a window is not negotiated?

pearso66
07-06-2008, 08:48 PM
On the Sunday night broadcast Jon Miller asked Peter Gammons if any window was open for the Brewers to try to sign Sabathia to a long-term deal but Gammons' response was that no they'll let him go to free agency at the end of the year. Can the Brewers still sign him during the season or are they not allowed to if a window is not negotiated?

I believe the window to sign is if they don't sign him, he will go back to the Indians. They have the rest of the season to try and resign him I believe.

BadBobbyJenks
07-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Brewers going for it all this season and if they don't make a run in October they can try to re sign Sheets or let him and Sabathia go and collect 4 picks.

Domeshot17
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM

the window is just something one team offers to another to get a better deal, however, it can be risky,

Lets say the brewers went to Cleveland and said we will give you 4 grade a prospects if you let us talk out a contract extension with CC but only 2 grade a and 1 grade b if we have to take him as is (obviously hes worth more for 5-7 years than he is for 1/2 of a year).

When he gets to the Brewers, they can still try and work out a deal all year, but its at their own risk now, where as if they couldnt get a deal done on an extension during the window, they could walk away.

DumpJerry
07-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Not likely. He wants to play in Southern California (his home) and he does not address our major pressing needs for next year. We're pretty deep in pitching talent in Chicago and Charlotte (in case Contreras flames out next year).

I see him either staying with the Brewers if he likes it there (and they make the post season) or going to the Dodgers since he has said he "likes to hit." That makes the National League a good match for his desires.

It would be fun to watch him go head-to-head with Zambozo. Two very good pitchers who can hit, too.

ChiSox89
07-06-2008, 09:29 PM
great move. c.c. is out of our hair and now will beat up on the cubs:cool:

doublem23
07-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I believe the window to sign is if they don't sign him, he will go back to the Indians. They have the rest of the season to try and resign him I believe.

:?: The Brewers don't have to sign him to a long-term deal to acquire him... He's definitely not a 10/5 player and I don't know if his current contract has an explicit no-trade clause, but if it doesn't, then the Tribe can trade him, regardless of his feelings. The Brewers, OTOH, better hope he leads them to the postseason if they can't sign him, else they just dumped a number of their best prospects for a 2 month rental.

great move. c.c. is out of our hair and now will beat up on the cubs:cool:

C.C. is a huge choker... If the Cubs and Brewers are in a tight game in late September, the last thing I'd like to see for Milwaukee is his fat ass on the mound.

chaerulez
07-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Brewers not signing him long term isn't the end of the world for them, they would get two high draft picks as compensation.

veeter
07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Don't forget they have Gallardo, who's a stud, coming back also. He'll be their ace of the future if they don't bring back C.C. or Sheets. He may even come back THIS year. That would be very bad for the NL central.

the1tab
07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
The question for me now isn't if, but how soon the Cubs respond with a deal of their own. I'd conservatively put the over-under on that deal being 2 weeks from today. Any thoughts on who's the next big name to move? Harden? Burnett? Someone else?

Red Barchetta
07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
When you consider that CC turned down a 4 yr/$72M offer from the Tribe, do you think that JR is gonna approve either more years or more $$$$$$$$ to sweeten the pot?

I don't, but that's just me.

SMO
:gulp:

...not as long as KW keeps getting 2nd year pitchers like Danks and Gavin (10-4 at All-Star Break) Floyd!!! :D:

getonbckthr
07-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Paperwork must be done because ESPN is flashing a message from CC that they recieved saying he will miss his old team mates.

gf2020
07-06-2008, 11:06 PM
The question for me now isn't if, but how soon the Cubs respond with a deal of their own. I'd conservatively put the over-under on that deal being 2 weeks from today. Any thoughts on who's the next big name to move? Harden? Burnett? Someone else?
The Cubs don't have the pieces for Harden. Its either Burnett or maybe Maddux if they want to make a move.

jabrch
07-06-2008, 11:11 PM
The Cubs don't have the pieces for Harden. Its either Burnett or maybe Maddux if they want to make a move.

It won't be Maddux. His Petco/Road splits are awful. Same with Wolf. I'm guessing it is AJ Burnett to the Cubs.

WhiteSox5187
07-06-2008, 11:15 PM
I think that Maddux might be interested in going to Milwaukee to work with his brother who is the Brewers pitching coach.

Sockinchisox
07-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Haha I just got a text from some friends telling me we should go to the Brewers game on Tuesday.

PeteWard
07-06-2008, 11:51 PM
If true, it's too bad that the Indians have given up (although they played the Twins this weekend like they had given up). The Sox don't play the Indans again until September, and I was hoping to see some fight in them from out of the race.

Of course, Sabathia has to do better in the Brewers rotation than the pitchers whose place he would be taking. But I wouldn't expect him to do as well as others seem to.

he was due to pitch against Detroit this week :mad:

PeteWard
07-06-2008, 11:55 PM

Why would Oakland deal Harden in the thick of a pennant race? :scratch:

Tragg
07-06-2008, 11:58 PM
I hate to see this happen. Cleveland needed new players an they just got a few. I would have preferred them to take the 2 draft choices.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Haha I just got a text from some friends telling me we should go to the Brewers game on Tuesday.

My 10 pack just happens to have that game on the list. i can't wait. :D:

Also heard a rumor that the Brewers are still looking for more pitching and they are scouting Maddux

That rumor has had some legs to it for a while now. I hear it's Tony Gwynn Jr for Maddux.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-07-2008, 12:06 AM
I hate to see this happen. Cleveland needed new players an they just got a few. I would have preferred them to take the 2 draft choices.

Honestly, Laporta is great, Bryson is a really good prospect, but he's Low A ball, so take that for what it's worth. Zack Jack is junk. And the PTBNL could be pretty big. Taylor Green could be it(his agent posts on brewerfan.net, said nothing is final yet, but green hasn't been called yet).

TheOldRoman
07-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I thought I remember reading somewhere that CC wants 7-8 years, near what Zito got. I highly highly doubt the Sox give him that.Nor should they. His contract will be a giant albatross by year 4 at the latest. Fat slobs who don't care about conditioning don't generally last very long.

I hope for the Brewers' sake (and for ours too) that they win the division. I thought it was weird that after struggling with garbage teams for so long, the top two teams rumored for lard ass were the Brewers and Rays. It seems like giving away potential superstars when they don't have the payroll to resign their own players has a chance to put them back where they were a couple of years ago. They will get a couple of draft picks, but unless they win the division, this could be a really bad trade. I guess they had to do something, though.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Nor should they. His contract will be a giant albatross by year 4 at the latest. Fat slobs who don't care about conditioning don't generally last very long.

I hope for the Brewers' sake (and for ours too) that they win the division. I thought it was weird that after struggling with garbage teams for so long, the top two teams rumored for lard ass were the Brewers and Rays. It seems like giving away potential superstars when they don't have the payroll to resign their own players has a chance to put them back where they were a couple of years ago. They will get a couple of draft picks, but unless they win the division, this could be a really bad trade. I guess they had to do something, though.

To be fair, the brewers have already worked out a long term deal with Braun, they are in talks with hardy and hart, and most likely already have a replacement for Fielder in Gamel(i expect him to either move to the outfield or 1B by the end of this year). Assuming CC and Sheets leave after this year, the brewers have 5 picks in the first 35 next year, not to mention the haul they had this year from losing Linebrink and CoCo. Trading away One good player, and another mediocre low level guy isn't that big a deal. Not if the brewers make the playoffs anyways. It's not like they traded away the entire Minor league system for the guy.

FedEx227
07-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Nor should they. His contract will be a giant albatross by year 4 at the latest. Fat slobs who don't care about conditioning don't generally last very long.

With the Brewers as my number 2 I gotta say this trade makes me a bit nervous, glad to see they didn't have to part with Escobar, but I was always under the impression LaPorta would help ease the potential loss of either Braun, Fielder or Hart in the next few years. That is no longer the case. Basically it's put up or shut up time... they HAVE to make the playoffs this year or I this trade really bites them in the ass.

TDog
07-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Eh. I still say the Cubs win that division with or without C.C. on the Brewers.

Honestly, I don't think the Cubs win the division whether or not Sabathia goes to the Brewers. There is just so much that can go wrong. Something always goes wrong.

I know that there is no way that Neal Cotts gets a Cubs World Series ring to go along with his White Sox World Series ring.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Honestly, I don't think the Cubs win the division whether or not Sabathia goes to the Brewers. There is just so much that can go wrong. Something always goes wrong.

I know that there is no way that Neal Cotts gets a Cubs World Series ring to go along with his White Sox World Series ring.

that would be pretty messed up. Not to mention I think Dempster's gonna have a dead arm period come up pretty quickly, and it seems like Marmol is already showing effects of overuse this year. That pitching staff might come unraveled very quickly.

Mohoney
07-07-2008, 04:59 AM

IMO, they would be better off going with what they have now than giving up anything for Maddux, even if it is just an A ball guy.

How much is Maddux getting paid?

MUsoxfan
07-07-2008, 05:12 AM
IMO, they would be better off going with what they have now than giving up anything for Maddux, even if it is just an A ball guy.

How much is Maddux getting paid?

Maddux couldn't hurt. He's proven himself over time and seems to pitch better when it matters. I don't have stats to back that up, but it seems to me he'd be a solid addition

South Side Irish
07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Maddux couldn't hurt. He's proven himself over time and seems to pitch better when it matters. I don't have stats to back that up, but it seems to me he'd be a solid addition

Agreed... I don't think saying "we're adding Greg Maddux to our rotation" is ever a bad thing.

cards press box
07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
To be fair, the brewers have already worked out a long term deal with Braun, they are in talks with hardy and hart, and most likely already have a replacement for Fielder in Gamel(i expect him to either move to the outfield or 1B by the end of this year). Assuming CC and Sheets leave after this year, the brewers have 5 picks in the first 35 next year, not to mention the haul they had this year from losing Linebrink and CoCo. Trading away One good player, and another mediocre low level guy isn't that big a deal. Not if the brewers make the playoffs anyways. It's not like they traded away the entire Minor league system for the guy.

I don't think one can underestimate the good will this deal will generate with the fan base. And if the Brewers win the NL pennant, won't that lead to:(1) substantial post-season revenue and (2) increased momentum with fans in terms of season tickets (and corresponding revenue)? This could enable Milwaukee to keep some of their free agent pitchers (Sheets and Sabathia) or perhaps pursue other free agent starters, such as Jon Garland.

I think the deal is a good gamble for Milwaukee.

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't think one can underestimate the good will this deal will generate with the fan base. And if the Brewers win the NL pennant, won't that lead to:(1) substantial post-season revenue and (2) increased momentum with fans in terms of season tickets (and corresponding revenue)? This could enable Milwaukee to keep some of their free agent pitchers (Sheets and Sabathia) or perhaps pursue other free agent starters, such as Jon Garland.

I think so as well. At some point, you have to make a statement as a franchise. Trading for Captain Cheeseburger is it. They have enough draft picks in the near future, along with minor and major league talent as chips to be a perennial contender. They are building it organically, and it may reap postseason success if not this year, then very soon.

aryzner
07-07-2008, 10:32 AM
My friend who is a Brewers fan is extremely excited for this.

That being said, I'd love to see the Brew Crew in the playoffs. For some reason, I have a soft spot for that team and it'd be a refreshing new face to see there.

Is 1982 the last time they made the playoffs? That would mean I've never seen them there in my lifetime. :o:

Thome25
07-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm EXTREMELY glad he didn't go to the Cubs if this is true.:bandance::bandance::D:

California Sox
07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I think this trade actually hurts the Sox. We've played Cleveland 12 times (and it seems like Sabathia pitches every series.) Minny has played them 9 and Detroit only 6. That's 2 or 3 wins to Minnesota and possibly as many as 4 to Detroit. I hate to see Cleveland roll over and play dead before the all star break. They could have a truly brutal second half.

munchman33
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I think this trade actually hurts the Sox. We've played Cleveland 12 times (and it seems like Sabathia pitches every series.) Minny has played them 9 and Detroit only 6. That's 2 or 3 wins to Minnesota and possibly as many as 4 to Detroit. I hate to see Cleveland roll over and play dead before the all star break. They could have a truly brutal second half.

Yes, but we handled Cleveland quite well. Should the others steamroll them? Yes. But they also have to steamroll them.

The Immigrant
07-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I hate to see Cleveland roll over and play dead before the all star break.

They rolled over about three weeks ago, about the time Victor Martinez went down.

Sockinchisox
07-07-2008, 12:52 PM
It's official, C.C. is a Brewer.

Chez
07-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm happy for the Brewer fans and hope they make it to the playoffs; but this is a pretty steep price to pay for a guy who figures to only appear in 15-16 games for them.

munchman33
07-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm happy for the Brewer fans and hope they make it to the playoffs; but this is a pretty steep price to pay for a guy who figures to only appear in 15-16 games for them.

When he and Sheets leave in the offseason, the Brewers will have 5 of the first 35 or so selections in the draft. Their minor leagues will be fine.

Cuck the Fubs
07-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Hooray for the Brew Crew!

Now put on a second half charge and win that Central!

PaleHoser
07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't think Cleveland got enough and being that he was sent to Milwaukee, I wonder what role the commissioner's office played in this deal. Makes me go hmm...

Yes, I'm a part-time conspiracy theorist.

TDog
07-07-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't think Cleveland got enough and being that he was sent to Milwaukee, I wonder what role the commissioner's office played in this deal. Makes me go hmm...

Right. In additiion to the conspiracy to get the Cubs a World Series win, baseball is running a conspiracy to bolster a prime contenter for the Cubs would be crown.

I too don't like the trade, as I have posted, because I believe a strong Indians team for the remainder of July and August -- until they play the Sox again -- is bad for the Sox.

I don't think there should be any non-waiver deals past June 15. I'm sure someone in the American League, or even someone lower than the Brewers in the National League if it had gone that far, would have claimed Sabathia were he put on waivers at this point in the season.

jabrch
07-07-2008, 02:53 PM

How many wins is CC worth over their current 5th starter Seth McClung? Given that McClung has an ERA over 6 on his career as a SP, I'd say this would mean at least 5 games - possibly many more. That's huge in a division that figures to be very tight - it's even bigger in the context of both of the other teams they are competing against having wanted him, as well as the competition for the wild card...

FedEx227
07-07-2008, 03:43 PM

Take a look at what Matt LaPorta has done in the minors, might change your thinking a bit.

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Take a look at what Matt LaPorta has done in the minors, might change your thinking a bit.

He's exactly what the Indians needed. A power-hitting, athletic corner outfielder. After Hafner and Martinez deflated themselves, what were they supposed to do?

goon
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
When he and Sheets leave in the offseason, the Brewers will have 5 of the first 35 or so selections in the draft. Their minor leagues will be fine.

I'm sure they will try to retain one of them and might be able to do so.

palehozenychicty
07-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Probably Sheets, as Captain wants to get a similar deal to Zito/Santana. I'm thinking Dodgers or Yankees.

munchman33
07-07-2008, 04:22 PM

I don't think they will. CC is too expensive, and Sheets will be both expensive and a good bet to break down. Gallardo comes back next year. They'll probably try to sign a guy off the tier just below, probably Jon Garland.

BadBobbyJenks
07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
With the Brewers as my number 2 I gotta say this trade makes me a bit nervous, glad to see they didn't have to part with Escobar, but I was always under the impression LaPorta would help ease the potential loss of either Braun, Fielder or Hart in the next few years. That is no longer the case. Basically it's put up or shut up time... they HAVE to make the playoffs this year or I this trade really bites them in the ass.

Laporta is blocked though, I think it was an easy move to make. I hear hes not much of an outfielder and will become a first basemen anyway.

I don't think it is a gamble in way. This would be like the Sox signing Crede in the offseason and trading Fields. Bruan and Hart in the corners and Fielder at first, there is no place for Laporta. They are going for a playoff run now and if it doesn't work out they keep Sheets and get two draft picks for Sabathia or lose them both and get 4 draft picks.

The Brewers made out like bandits.

EndemicSox
07-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Makes sense for both teams, although time will tell who "wins" this deal. Milwaukee gets a top of the rotation lefty, albeit one who appeared worn down in the 2007 post-season(240+ innings may do that to a pitcher), and the Indians receive one of the elite power prospects in MLB. It's good to see C.C. in the NL, but I'm not sure Sox fans will like what LaPorta brings to Cleveland come 2009.

As a casual observer of the Brewers, I was hoping the Brewers would ship off Fielder to the AL where he belongs and stick LaPorta at 1B for the next decade, but oh well, can't complain if they end up playing in October. There is no such thing as a sure thing, regardless of how good LaPorta looks with the bat.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Makes sense for both teams, although time will tell who "wins" this deal. Milwaukee gets a top of the rotation lefty, albeit one who appeared worn down in the 2007 post-season(240+ innings may do that to a pitcher), and the Indians receive one of the elite power prospects in MLB. It's good to see C.C. in the NL, but I'm not sure Sox fans will like what LaPorta brings to Cleveland come 2009.

As a casual observer of the Brewers, I was hoping the Brewers would ship off Fielder to the AL where he belongs and stick LaPorta at 1B for the next decade, but oh well, can't complain if they end up playing in October. There is no such thing as a sure thing, regardless of how good LaPorta looks with the bat.

I expect Gamel to move over to 1B now.

goon
07-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't think they will. CC is too expensive, and Sheets will be both expensive and a good bet to break down. Gallardo comes back next year. They'll probably try to sign a guy off the tier just below, probably Jon Garland.

I suppose that all depends on what their "plan" is.

pearso66
07-07-2008, 08:15 PM
:?: The Brewers don't have to sign him to a long-term deal to acquire him... He's definitely not a 10/5 player and I don't know if his current contract has an explicit no-trade clause, but if it doesn't, then the Tribe can trade him, regardless of his feelings. The Brewers, OTOH, better hope he leads them to the postseason if they can't sign him, else they just dumped a number of their best prospects for a 2 month rental.

I know this, I was answering the question from the previous guy who asked since the Brewers didn't get a window did that mean they couldn't sign him.

Sockinchisox
07-07-2008, 08:37 PM
My 10 pack just happens to have that game on the list. i can't wait. :D:

That rumor has had some legs to it for a while now. I hear it's Tony Gwynn Jr for Maddux.

Me and my friends bought tickets for it this morning, gonna be weird cheering for CC.

I've been to Miller Park once (last year) and it was fun, although I never had the secret sauce or w/e so i'm making it a point to get some of that this time ha.

EuroSox35
07-07-2008, 09:56 PM
CC asked Prince if he could borrow some pants :rolling:

Tragg
07-07-2008, 11:14 PM
On a side note, Mark "boy wonder" Shapiro is pretty much assured that the number of times his team has made the playoffs remains at a gaudy 1. Interesting that the USS Mariner blog, is politicing that the Ms hire his assistant....as the Tribe has 2 more wins than the Ms do this year.

Sockinchisox
07-09-2008, 02:45 AM
I was at his debut tonight, if the roof was closed there tonight it would have been blown off. The crowd went absolutely crazy when he took the mound and when he was first announced. We were talking to the people around us and they all loved that the organization is going for it this year. CC pitched decent, he had some control problems, but it was definitely fun rooting for him instead of dreading him haha.

palehozenychicty
07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
If he and Sheets do their thing, the Brewers are going to make a serious run.